What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

It must have been an odd experience today for the 8 new recruits and the two tourists visiting The Mun for a visit to the surface. They arrived in their KerBus Mk-2 at Mun Station as planned and expected, this is a shot shared by one of the tourists as they approached Mun Station for docking.

5pWt0QGi_o.jpg

Of course Mun Station is very old, only the second station to be launched after the old Minmus Station, which was retired last year and rechristened Minmus Memorial Station before it was parked in a higher mothball orbit and replaced by the new KerTank! station design. After docking the crew and tourists transferred to the KerbHerder 21Kvac seen in the bottom right on the above picture and left for their Mun landing.

When they returned barely a day later, they were greeted by this view.

otgGkQJy_o.jpg

Indeed the old Mun Station has finally been replaced with the KerTank! design. Unlike at Minmus though, the choice was made to dock the two separate parts of the old station to the new station, rather than parking it in a mothball orbit. The reason for this is reportedly that the boffins on the station's laboratory have some sensitive long running experiments going on that can't simply be carried to the new labs. There was an option to send additional scientists, or to spread the two serving scientists over the various labs, but in the end it was decided this would be the most efficient solution.

It is certainly makes for an interesting view, seeing the old station parts attached to the new design really drives home the difference in scale that five years of progress can make. The serving engineer on the station, Bartbal Kerman, shared this picture of his visor HUD with us, taken as he was completing the connection of the last rigging struts which secure the old station parts to the KerTank!

7TeRWaQ9_o.jpg

On 10/24/2022 at 2:47 AM, Beamer said:

[Some weirdness while I was testing the landing on Minmus, after a successful landing and take-off I got this achievement... uhmm, wut? Is this thing so heavy it creates its own atmosphere? :D]

You used alt-F12, didn't you?

12 minutes ago, Nazalassa said:

You used alt-F12, didn't you?

Correct, this was when I was testing the landing, I had put the tower's landing configuration in Minmus orbit using the cheat menu. How does that give Minmus an atmosphere?

2 minutes ago, Beamer said:

Correct, this was when I was testing the landing, I had put the tower's landing configuration in Minmus orbit using the cheat menu. How does that give Minmus an atmosphere?

It seems that, when you use alt-F12 to set your position, the reference CB changes first, then the achievment detection routine runs, and only after that does the atmospheric stuff change.

yesterday i realised how many kerbals have been sitting in wrecks of my space planes all over kerblin. I launched a new rocket and i'll never regret my decision to test out my super rocket using remote control cores instead of my kerbals as the rocket designed to hold most of the kerbals i have for a solar system field trip, had an accident with the 2 external booster causing them to flail around because only 1 of the 5 connection points actually attached and it blew up on the runway. Also can anyone help, for some reason the camera follows one of the rocket stages instead of the command pod, is there something im doing wrong?

2 hours ago, Engineer Gaming said:

yesterday i realised how many kerbals have been sitting in wrecks of my space planes all over kerblin. I launched a new rocket and i'll never regret my decision to test out my super rocket using remote control cores instead of my kerbals as the rocket designed to hold most of the kerbals i have for a solar system field trip, had an accident with the 2 external booster causing them to flail around because only 1 of the 5 connection points actually attached and it blew up on the runway. Also can anyone help, for some reason the camera follows one of the rocket stages instead of the command pod, is there something im doing wrong?

When you use a decoupler (or 'detachment manifold') to attach boosters to your rocket, only one decoupler will attach, you can't use multiple of them to attach a single booster. Just use one decoupler per booster, and then add some EAS4 Strut Connectors from the 'Structural' section to prevent the boosters from wobbling. Strut connectors will automatically disconnect when the decouplers ... decouple. So something like this:

DGKoP9qq_o.jpg

If you're worried about boosters colliding with the rocket when disconnecting, add some 'Sepratron I' to the boosters that push it away from the rocket. Put them in the same stage as the decoupler so they fire when you decouple the boosters:

9LgQBHKb_o.jpg

By default the camera will be aimed at the center of mass of your craft, but it can be changed to be aimed at a specific component by right clicking the component and choosing 'Aim camera'. To reset it back to the center of mass, right click the same component and choose 'Reset camera' (there's probably a reset camera hotkey too, I don't know what it is). You can also cycle between different camera modes by clicking V (on PC) repeatedly and if you want even better control for youtube worthy camera shots there are some mods that can help.

When you use a decoupler (or 'detachment manifold') to attach boosters to your rocket, only one decoupler will attach, you can't use multiple of them to attach a single booster. Just use one decoupler per booster, and then add some EAS4 Strut Connectors from the 'Structural' section to prevent the boosters from wobbling. Strut connectors will automatically disconnect when the decouplers ... decouple

You can also use the Part Action Window (PAW) to set up autostruts . I find that using the Grandfather setting  on all parts (of the booster) will keep most boosters from flopping around and it reduces the part count.

If you use both the EAS4 and autostrut together at the same time  though, you will often summon the Kraken.

6 hours ago, jimmymcgoochie said:

Today I noticed that KSP2 has been on my Steam wishlist for (almost) exactly 3 years. It seems a bit strange since I didn't think I'd been playing KSP for that long, but then again the last few years have done strange things to my time perception...

According to your profile your forum account is exactly 3 years and 2 months old. Maybe it's a relativistic effect, have you been playing around with infinite propulsion hacks? :)

On 10/27/2022 at 12:04 PM, Beamer said:

When you use a decoupler (or 'detachment manifold') to attach boosters to your rocket, only one decoupler will attach, you can't use multiple of them to attach a single booster. Just use one decoupler per booster, and then add some EAS4 Strut Connectors from the 'Structural' section to prevent the boosters from wobbling. Strut connectors will automatically disconnect when the decouplers ... decouple. So something like this:

DGKoP9qq_o.jpg

If you're worried about boosters colliding with the rocket when disconnecting, add some 'Sepratron I' to the boosters that push it away from the rocket. Put them in the same stage as the decoupler so they fire when you decouple the boosters:

9LgQBHKb_o.jpg

By default the camera will be aimed at the center of mass of your craft, but it can be changed to be aimed at a specific component by right clicking the component and choosing 'Aim camera'. To reset it back to the center of mass, right click the same component and choose 'Reset camera' (there's probably a reset camera hotkey too, I don't know what it is). You can also cycle between different camera modes by clicking V (on PC) repeatedly and if you want even better control for youtube worthy camera shots there are some mods that can help.

When i right clicked on the part i couldn't find anything about "aim camera" (idk if im just dumb and thats what RCS is) and thanks for the solution with the struts

Today we saw Valentina Kerman pulling some Gs in the new prototype "SuK-Hai Mk-1 `Valentina`", named in her honour for becoming the first 5-star pilot. It is a highly responsive craft that has extremely tight control at both low and high speeds. Operation ceiling and max speed have yet to be determined, according to one of the engineers monitoring the first test flight they first "have to add some additional doo-dads and blinky-blinky lights" before the craft is allowed beyond the safety of the KSC testing range.

OPdJzull_o.jpg

8Hu8eAYe_o.jpg

gbr04o20_o.jpg

f8eJSnzC_o.jpg

11 hours ago, Engineer Gaming said:

When i right clicked on the part i couldn't find anything about "aim camera" (idk if im just dumb and thats what RCS is) and thanks for the solution with the struts

The 'Aim camera' is only available in flight, not in the VAB. Inside the VAB and Spaceplane Hangar the camera controls are different (and sometimes seem to work more against you than with you - you get used to it :) ).

Just set up a basic relais network for Mun, Eve, Duna and Moho for further unkerbaled missions in my actual playthrough. Jool, Dres, Sarnus etc. later down the road... pretty straight forward, so no pics today. 

Had way to much fun with my new installation of scatterer and Spectra 1.6.2...

17 hours ago, Dcseal said:

I was having way too much fun with the repaint mod, and I just happened to glance through the flags I modded in a while back - now we have this.

4aRS3LU.jpeg

XkIueAM.jpeg

kW06wLu.jpeg

Wait, which repaint mod is this? Hope that's not a dumb question, my understanding is that there are a few repaint mods.

9 hours ago, Beamer said:

Today we saw Valentina Kerman pulling some Gs in the new prototype "SuK-Hai Mk-1 `Valentina`", named in her honour for becoming the first 5-star pilot. It is a highly responsive craft that has extremely tight control at both low and high speeds. Operation ceiling and max speed have yet to be determined, according to one of the engineers monitoring the first test flight they first "have to add some additional doo-dads and blinky-blinky lights" before the craft is allowed beyond the safety of the KSC testing range.

OPdJzull_o.jpg

8Hu8eAYe_o.jpg

gbr04o20_o.jpg

f8eJSnzC_o.jpg

The 'Aim camera' is only available in flight, not in the VAB. Inside the VAB and Spaceplane Hangar the camera controls are different (and sometimes seem to work more against you than with you - you get used to it :) ).

Thanks! That really helped me out and nice ADFX 01 

17 minutes ago, Engineer Gaming said:

Thanks! That really helped me out and nice ADFX 01 

I had to google that, I never played Ace Combat. I based it on the Sukhoi Su-47 (wiki link) which I think is one of the most beautiful fighter jets ever made. Hence the "SuK-Hai" name :D  With the rarity of forward swept wing designs I guess most game fighters with such a design can often be traced back to taking inspiration from that plane, which was a technology demonstrator for the idea.

YEAR 4, DAY 246

After what seemed like forever of floating throughout empty space, the Pioneer and Explorer 2 probes arrived at their respective destinations. First was Pioneer 2, which arrived at Eve 72 days ago. It's original mission plan was to get to Gilly, but with the circularization burn, an altitude adjustment to Gilly's orbit, there wasn't enough Delta-V, and it could not get to Gilly. The mission is declared a partial success, since it didn't explode and got into Eve orbit, but failed to get to it's destination.

TdDO8Xo.png

Eve Approach

Meanwhile, on the opposite side of the solar system, just today, Explorer 2 got to Ike, and sent us back valuable images and science (I'm on a sandbox save, so science doesn't matter, I just like what the results say). Ike is very odd, having a similar mass to Duna, and being in a nearly geosynchronous orbit, it definitely requires more research.

biG9Kbo.png

Duna-set in a low Ike orbit (20km).

Had to do a quick rebuilding of the airliner transport aircraft I made to make it modular for the 3 planned variants of it, halfway through I made it 4 variants instead. All 4 feature a belly docking port and 2 side docking ports.

First variant, the pure passenger airliner
DdgCOb5.png
This carries 64 passengers+4 crew, with about 5000 units of fuel.

Second variant, the passenger airliner with longer range.
F7bWI0e.png
This carries 32 passengers+4 crew, with about 10000 units of fuel. Due to the weight balance this variant is also the most maneuverable of the 4.

Third variant, the fuel transport aircraft.
Jm6tEZX.png
This has no passenger carrying capability, only having 4 crew onboard, but it carries about 20000 units of fuel.

Fourth variant, the cargo aircraft
EphfDju.png
Similarly, this has no passenger carrying capability, with only 4 crew onboard. It has about 5000 units of fuel.

5 hours ago, king of nowhere said:

I only regret that Uranus was not aligned to be seen from my cupola, so I didn't have any internal views

Why would you want to see inside my... :ph34r:

This is actually from the last several weeks. I finally got back into my main career save (without Principia). Thanks to @ColdJ I was able to replace the ineffective 20m klaw on Gigaklaw.  Then I was able to finish ejecting a class E asteroid from the solar system and push another class E to intercept Eve. Also put a class C in Eve orbit.

Spoiler

iVXMuPD.png

KYAgHZ9.png

bWtSRBY.png

Gigarover left Minmus for a low Kerbin slingshot to Jool. Citadel 3 finally made it to Jool and went to Pol first and landed at the north pole. Despite an orbital scan showing high ore at the poles, there was exactly zero there. It still had 2 km/s dV left so not a problem.

Spoiler

fQRSRDw.png

qtyiZUf.png

ZIoyjv2.png

hskzIpC.png

t2dUtMq.png

"The Klaw" (with a modest 7.5m klaw) returned from a Moho rescue and a Mk3 SSTO recovered the ship along with 2 xenon probes from prior low-sun rescues. 

Spoiler

W7eAHj1.png

62P95VZ.png

USBipm0.png