What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

1 hour ago, MisterDoctor said:

Yesterday I completed "Return to Kerbin from the surface of Tylo" which I had felt was almost impossible to accomplish. I finally did it with a 17500m/s dV rocket

Nice. You didn't mention... did you use ISRU? Sounds like you didn't...that's hard.

Citadel 3 just landed on Tylo with 1000+ dv left at 5.6 TWR. This ship is vanilla stock SSTA(-Eve). 

1xf4dsm.png

50nEXXY.png

But I couldn't refuel. The orbital scan showed ore there but it's only 1.3%, which is just enough to power the equipment with exactly zero net. My orbital scans have been way off for Jool moons so far. Almost the opposite. 

But none of that matters now because KSP had an instant CTD.  I was gathering science and used a experiment box to "collect all" to get the sensor data then EVAd a Kerbal to get the science in the box and reboard the science lab. I've got 500+ experiments in the lab to return to Kerbin. When he entered the lab it crashed. So I'm going to play some other game that doesn't crash.  

3 hours ago, FezCool said:

Neat! What's the twr if I might ask?

For just the ship itself, it launches with 1.04 twr and has 1.17 twr fully fueled in LKO.   This payload is about 200 tons including some extra fuel so right now in LKO it's sitting at exactly 1.00 tons.

2 hours ago, Krazy1 said:

Nice. You didn't mention... did you use ISRU? Sounds like you didn't...that's hard.

no refueling, though that would have been the next plan if this didn't work out. (also not single-stage.)

the trick I used was to make a very small probe with no re-entry capability, and then I could max out the dV more easily. as long as I could get anything to just touchdown and get back to Tylo orbit, then at least I could "rescue" the probe and that would count.

so, I did not make a ship that by itself was capable of the return trip; it could get back to orbit of Tylo (with 1600 dV left) and that was it. it also did not contain a kerbal. to complete "plant a flag on tylo" I stranded a kerbal there separately.

(this is the first time I've made it this far.)

(I don't use any mods, though one thing I did was add my own part which is an FL-A10 adapter fuel tank (a 0.625m to 1.25m fuel tank adapter), which is a noticeably absent part IMO. I think there was one in this rocket above the 1.25m reaction wheel.)

Only got a couple screenshots and nothing from Tylo:

N2xIlvi.jpg

JGi3VlW.jpg

FyqIhaG.jpg

My separately stranded Kerbal:

a6cNlv4.jpg

Edited by MisterDoctor
clarification

After a two year hiatus, I'm creating my first relay network (again) so I can enjoy KSP with all the visual mods I can find.

Er62KDy.png

*Recently upgraded to some Pro Apple Silicon and a 27" 4K monitor and things are soooo smoooooth!

Scanning on the ground

Rover 1 is exploring around the landing zone. Hmmm a Mun Stone. Rover 1 tags it for later use 

p1TF6Ix.png

And look over there! The Rover Science scanner has detected a science hot spot and Rover 1 is off to investigate. 
BMUywuf.png 

( I watched the OPPPY documentary about Opportunity and Spirit on Mars and have developed a little  "Rover Mania")   

He is also fitted out for anomaly identification and WOLF Biome surveys. 

After stranding Jeb and the crew on the Mun with an unfortunately designed SSTO and having to rescue them, today(yesterday) I designed a different SSTO that was actually able to make it the Mun and back. 

qpiCmLb.jpg

Due to my struggles with mk3 sstos I basically just decided to scrap everything about the previous design and start from scratch, the only major elements being kept being the payload(mk3 crew cabin), rapier engine cluster, and 4 nerva engines. I also changed the wings considering the Big S series seems to break off too easily.  Only thing I forgot was a ladder so Jeb had to use RCS to get back to the craft.

DlbO0BK.jpg

The TWR and gimbal must've been better than my previous ssto as it was able to take off from a flat surface pretty handily without needing a hill as a ramp like the previous craft.

ykavFUc.jpg

Reentry was pretty standard, I was a little worried about the wings being clipped off from aerodynamic force so I slowed down before making any maneuvers.

sPhxx5z.jpg

Unfortunately we landed in the ocean so the ship discombobulated. Not really sure how to avoid this but I assume waiting for the Mun to be at a different spot could help avoid landing during night.

18 hours ago, FezCool said:

Unfortunately we landed in the ocean so the ship discombobulated. Not really sure how to avoid this

you should have a very low vertical speed to land on water without unintentionally disassembling your craft I think. Horizontal speed can be higher at splashdown but never above 70m/s.

Edited by tajwo

V1! Sort of, kinda, maybe, I guess....

ymssAXD.png

Target: Island Airfield

zGsNSjG.png

TWd5PXB.png

Spoiler

Launch.

4oSGhLA.png

oEQwbiA.png

AhBATsN.png

Boosters dropped (on the runway)

wEpAidM.png

Top flying speed ~130m/s. Not the most realistic looking but I'll work on that later. The Oscar-B tanks are for the Vernor engines. Not sure if they're entirely necessary.

9 hours ago, tajwo said:

you should have a very low vertical speed to land on water without unintentionally disassembling your craft I think. Horizontal speed can be higher at splashdown but never above 70m/s.

I was more referring to avoiding returning to Kerbin at night but thank you 

On 12/6/2022 at 3:18 PM, FezCool said:

Unfortunately we landed in the ocean so the ship discombobulated. Not really sure how to avoid this

Design your spaceplane so it has better lift vs mass and so it has a lower stall speed (it can glide at lower speed without falling). Then you want to be sure that at touchdown you have no more than 70m/s horizontal speed (the tolerance of the wheels) and 6m/s vertical speed (the tolerance of the weakest parts or the speed where parts break off, no matter their tolerance). Perfection  is in the general area of 45m/s horizontal and 2m/s vertical.

SPACE NEWS GAZETTE

Celebrating the opening of the new Kayak River SkyFall airport:

c8zqtL1.jpg

[click + arrows => slide show]

IItwB7B.jpg   50UcfOU.jpg      f1pbCSN.jpg   7NBWW18.jpg

DOKT6JH.jpg   3rqjXoJ.jpg   sow3KfS.jpg   QZUR7Vc.jpg

(Rejected Landing -- Ruled: "Pilot Exuberance"; I hate when that happens on a photo shoot and the photographer goes "overtime".)

A loaned Passerine from @Caerfinon.

(Shout out to @SkyFall2489 : "we await your presence...")

Edited by Hotel26

Shot for the Moon.

Missed completely.

Csu5HIZ.png

That white speck above the probe is the Moon, missed it by about 4 days.

Turns out, eyeballing a flyby of the Moon without patched conics isn't nearly as easy as doing so for the Mun. I'd better get that Tracking Station upgrade going...

Edited by jimmymcgoochie

I'm trying to build a Bayraktar TB2. Here's how that's going.

pKNcHlO.png

Note that I'm flying just above sea level. This thing can barely fly at all, at a speed of barely 70m/s sometimes, most times it's around 50 or less.

lzo7qJJ.png

It didn't take very long to finish most of it but what really bugged me is getting the thing off the ground. The original has a two-blade propeller, and there is no way that can get this thing to fly in KSP. I tried fumbling around with the Breaking Ground parts for at least a few hours, after that I just gave up and switched the propeller for a jet engine for now. Shelved for the time being. Maybe I'll pick it up again on Sunday if I feel like it. If I do, I might try mods like Airplane Plus or something like that..

Also my V1 is finished after a complete rebuild few minor tweaks

aftBpIg.png

It can fly from the KSC to the North Pole, and probably back as well

I've had this horizontal lander design in my head for a while now, and I finally got the chance to build it and fly it around for a little bit. While I'm not 100% happy with the concept yet, it performed much better in-flight than I expected, probably due to the sheer amount of reaction wheels I clipped into it.

7rKkwJn.png

I cheated it to the Mun, where it takes off via 4 verniers mounted on each side, which is more than enough to easily lift the lander even when it has a full fuel tank. Unfortunately, when I tried testing vertical takeoff on Kerbin, it still wasn't enough thrust to get it into the air.

E391jqH.png

Decently high above the Mun's surface, an action group is used to toggle the Vernier engines and the main engine, a Poodle, lights up.

pQm4SNs.png

FO0KTQI.png

Here it is attempting a landing after a short suborbital hop. Since the control center is still in the capsule, it's kinda hard to judge exactly which direction to point the engines so I ended up with a little horizontal velocity, but the landing gear took it like a champ. In a future iteration, my first priority will probably be adding a control point that is aligned with the vernier engines to the top of the tank.

PBcON9h.png

After touching down (not pictured), the lander thrusts into munar orbit, solar panels fully deployed.

All in all, I'm quite happy with this weird little spacecraft.

Edited by Misguided Kerbal

2 hours ago, Misguided Kerbal said:

I've had this horizontal lander design in my head for a while now, and I finally got the chance to build it and fly it around for a little bit. While I'm not 100% happy with the concept yet, it performed much better in-flight than I expected, probably due to the sheer amount of reaction wheels I clipped into it.

7rKkwJn.png

I cheated it to the Mun, where it takes off via 4 verniers mounted on each side, which is more than enough to easily lift the lander even when it has a full fuel tank. Unfortunately, when I tried testing vertical takeoff on Kerbin, it still wasn't enough thrust to get it into the air.

E391jqH.png

Decently high above the Mun's surface, an action group is used to toggle the Vernier engines and the main engine, a Poodle, lights up.

pQm4SNs.png

FO0KTQI.png

Here it is attempting a landing after a short suborbital hop. Since the control center is still in the capsule, it's kinda hard to judge exactly which direction to point the engines so I ended up with a little horizontal velocity, but the landing gear took it like a champ. In a future iteration, my first priority will probably be adding a control point that is aligned with the vernier engines to the top of the tank.

PBcON9h.png

After touching down (not pictured), the lander thrusts into munar orbit, solar panels fully deployed.

All in all, I'm quite happy with this weird little spacecraft.

Neat!