What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

Today's mission: A rescue from Moho.

e1I4y04.png

I landed there long ago, but I apparently miscalculated the DeltaV, and marooned my Kerbal.  I sent a standard Digger/Refueller  to Moho, but it was meant to launch and refuel in orbit. So eventually, I built a much larger Lander, and sent it, with an empty seat. The Refueller filled the tanks up once it arrived, and thus began the rescue.

It took three tries to get a landing that precise, but I managed it.

The original, smaller lander remains on Moho. The crew came across to board the Lander 2.0, and because I sent a scientist this time, I was able to transfer all the experiment data across. I have a station in orbit, already crunching the data. Side effect of the Rescue, my orbiting Lab now has two scientists in it.

irvwt9y.png

Landed on Ceti (Galileo's Planet Pack).

Then sent a series of craft to Iota:

grAWNcG.png

ZnpIpDz.pngA base, a rover, and an orbital shuttle.

NNp2sdr.pngalthough the last made a stop by Ceti first, to pick up a rescue.

brxAOd5.png

Unfortunately, the amount of science picked up by the rover made it almost immediately obsolete in favour of Mk.II parts,

1Vg5Tqm.pngso instead it carried some surface samples back to Gael.

YQ9jiNO.png

Also tested a VTOL which works very well on Gael (top speed: 250ms-1) but not at all on Niven.

So I've started a career save. I've been to orbit. I've gone nearly bankrupt, and now I rely on tourists for my money. Everything is going exactly as planned!

IasRJQr.png

Valentina's high space EVA (Astro 2)

One thing I don't get is if Kerbals love space so much, why do they have nothing but a dinky little space center for their bizarre shenanigans. Can't the government except my bribes for a better one?

Today the Siren Mk I was put into service: A sub-orbital-ballistic-trajectory-passenger-plane (not an SSTO, as it does not reach stable orbit).

It fills the gap between my real-SSTO-space plane fleet and my supersonic airplanes. It accelerates in atmosphere to a suborbital trajectory and can reach a Pe of 300k km. On an ideal ballistic trajectory it can get from KSC to Tundra Space Center and vice versa in under 30 minutes - half around Kerbin.

The challenge was to NOT overengineer the plane, so that it can go half around kerbin on a ballistic trajectory but is NOT an SSTO (by not having huge fuel  or oxidizer reserves to circularize but right enough to land the jet). The target of this project was exactly one ballistic trajectory from airport to airport. Construction was pretty much straight forward and was kinda more fun than expected :D

Needs to have the trajectories mod, to aim for an airport.

vHBEK4I.png

Nnt5wlP.jpg

Edited by Rakete

qLtxjJv.png?1

Completed the Supreme Mun 4 Journey. The same craft has apparently ticked most of the boxes for two other 'relay' flights. If I can get the same craft to Pol, then Moho, I can tick off two more. If I can get the same craft back from Moho to Kerbin, and then land the thing, (Which will be fun, since it's not really meant to land in an atmosphere) I'll be able to get five High Value Contracts with one (long) flight.

We've done it! A Munar flyby! Jebediah has come back with what is known as across the scientific community as, "a crap ton of science". Also, we got a huge boost in funds, which we used to pay contractors to upgrade our tracking station and mission control. Now can have more contracts!

NZLIUo7.png

Here, am I floating round my tin can. Far, above the moon... (Astro 3)

On 12/12/2022 at 7:30 PM, bitzoid said:

I built the Iktomi from Tharsis and landed a crew on Duna with minimal incidents: No micrometeorite storm was encountered. Zero Kerbonauts were eaten.

That's a good model.

But Tharsis.  Ugh.  That was a painful gaming experience.  I played it and played it.  Until I finally got to Mars in one game.  Then I uninstalled it, never to play it again.  And hid it in my Steam Library.

There are some things that just should not be played.

Sent a fleet to Niven in Galileo's Planet Pack.

Consisting mostly of craft which look like this

nhwkPvI.png

but also one which looks like this

mHhjfDB.png

FtRROOs.pngIncidentally, I love EVA construction! I had my engineer add some struts and they worked an absolute charm.

waRnpzA.png

Very pretty ship. Engines from Kerbal Atomics.

I wrote a nice mission report for this.

I made my first rocket! Following mike abens beginner tutorial i made a rocket and gathered roughly 100 science and spent it on some stuff, a very fun game not gonna lie!

Also i have a question, when is it best to open mystery goo containers in rocket flight? Bc whenever i open it when my engine is running it gives me zero science.

50 minutes ago, whytho said:

I made my first rocket! Following mike abens beginner tutorial i made a rocket and gathered roughly 100 science and spent it on some stuff, a very fun game not gonna lie!

Also i have a question, when is it best to open mystery goo containers in rocket flight? Bc whenever i open it when my engine is running it gives me zero science.

The mystery goo gives science when you are in a new "biome" like, upper atmosphere, low atmosphere, space near (celestial body here), space far from (celestial body here), and many biomes in Kerbin too!

9 minutes ago, Davi SDF said:

The mystery goo gives science when you are in a new "biome" like, upper atmosphere, low atmosphere, space near (celestial body here), space far from (celestial body here), and many biomes in Kerbin too!

Hmmm, ive made a few trips but nothing about 14,000 m, here is the tutorial im using -

also thx for the info

Edited by whytho

Today, in Kerbal, I wept.

My computer packed it in this week. Had to replace the whole Drive. My offsite backups got me most of my stuff back, but my Kerbal backup was months old. I've lost more than half my missions, 30% reputation, 15 million credits... All of which I can deal with, except I think I've lost half my designs. Those boosters and craft have been the workhorses of my game for months now, and i have to start over.

I'm tempted to scrap the whole game and start again.