What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

49 minutes ago, stephensmat said:

Today, in Kerbal, I wept.

My computer packed it in this week. Had to replace the whole Drive. My offsite backups got me most of my stuff back, but my Kerbal backup was months old. I've lost more than half my missions, 30% reputation, 15 million credits... All of which I can deal with, except I think I've lost half my designs. Those boosters and craft have been the workhorses of my game for months now, and i have to start over.

I'm tempted to scrap the whole game and start again.

sorry about that, today im currently launching the same rocket again and again to grind for science(im playing on science easy mode)

I've been doing a great deal in career mode. Our first rendezvous between 2 spacecraft, with the missions Jebini 1 & Jebini 2, and achieving munar orbit with Jebini 3! With our current projections, we could be on the Mun by year 5! I'm playing with Kerbal Construction Time, so things take awhile (and R&D upgrades aren't speeding up research. How do I fix that?).

GXNBFBy.png

Bill Kerman's EVA on Jebini 1 (first rendezvous).

cQkMK0S.png

sqHtZYc.png

Bob Kerman's EVA above the Mun. From here, his perspective in Kerbin changes. Here he was using dinky little marbles, when there's a perfectly good marble right over there! People used marbles in the '60s, right?

Edited by Kerbalsaurus

Returned from college for winter break. Added a new planet to my planet pack!
u1enuYB.png

c10dpdG.png

gAGfT2o.png
It is a lush super-kerbin, even bigger than Eve. Thick atmosphere, possibly better for life than even Kerbin itself!

I also made a boatplane, which did faceplant a few times
9uGv1lJ.png

I then flew two at the same time, and even did a synchronized landing!
BY0iXqf.png

ZFzf8up.png

Tried to fly three at the same time (using target navitation to have the other two follow the big one), but one rammed it in the tail and they both crashed into the water.. I was bringing them down for a landing and all the kerbals survived. the other one was further back and landed without issue.

xMcm0Mh.png

and I did fly it on Temporalis! It performed surprisingly well! Also, a kerbal paragliding 'next' to the boatplane (the plane was going twice as fast as the kerbal cause high gravity n stuff)
8umCTKi.png

13 hours ago, whytho said:

Hmmm, ive made a few trips but nothing about 14,000 m, here is the tutorial im using

In order to collect more science, you'll need to go further from home.

You can point your rocket in different directions. For example if you are landed on the mountains, that gives you science even if you have already done experiments landed in the water. Some experiments, such as the atmosphere analysis or EVA report, are different when you are flying above different biomes. Others, like the mystery goo, are the same whether you are Flying Low over Kerbin's Shores or Mountains or Grasslands...

So in order to get more science I would advise using new engines (my favourite low-tech engine is the Swivel), building a bigger rocket and pointing it Up. For maximum science, try escaping the atmosphere. & don't forget to bring your new thermometer with you!

hWiyoCb.png

I am currently flying around Niven (Galileo's Planet Pack) in a helicopter at 70ms-1. Going to get allllllll the science.

Edited by fulgur

I landed on one wheel. I lost both of the rear landing gear on the SSTO during ascent

P174H2L.png

CX7jG3T.png

Do note these pictures were taken while the plane was still moving at about 20m/s. It's not as hard as it looks, I think it's a bit like landing a seaplane.

Spoiler

zxeWGih.png

Today i played sandbox mode and it was FUN

I went into sandbox mode and made my first orbit(after 32 launches and failures)! I also learned something important from this game, even if you try hard and hard and it still doesnt work, dont give up, because the end result will satisfy you to the point where you forget the misery

I want to post some images from the mission but i dont know how to ,help!

Edited by whytho

2 minutes ago, whytho said:

I want to post some images from the mission but i dont know how to ,help

Use a service like imgur.com to host your pictures. Then post a link from the hosted picture here in the forum. make sure the link ends in .png or .jpg so that the picture displays.

if you are posting more than 1 or 2 pictures at a time it is polite to put the pictures in a spoiler tag as a courtesy to users viewing on mobile devices.

14 minutes ago, whytho said:

Today i played sandbox mode and it was FUN

I went into sandbox mode and made my first orbit(after 32 launches and failures)! I also learned something important from this game, even if you try hard and hard and it still doesnt work, dont give up, because the end result will satisfy you to the point where you forget the misery

I want to post some images from the mission but i dont know how to ,help!

Ah, I remember when I started playing a year ago, getting my footing getting to orbit. Remember, once you get to orbit, you're half way to anywhere. For the pictures thing, I would suggest creating an Imgur account. Click on your account arrow, and go to images. Than click add images. Go to your KSP screenshots photo, and then slide across all the images you want to upload. Than, click on the images, copy the link with .png at the end. Than paste into the post, and tada! Your glorious screenshot for everyone to see!

On 12/16/2022 at 2:31 PM, stephensmat said:

My computer packed it in this week. Had to replace the whole Drive.

Sorry... reminded me to back up. My last was from July. 

Today I'm trying to hop between biomes on Tylo. Not easy. Not only is gravity high, so far 2 biomes did not have enough ore to refuel. 

And more KSP bugs...  "climb out" for my ladder only works about 1 in 10 tries. It says "climb out" but it does not work. super annoying.  

Edited by Krazy1

OK People Let's get Underway

With the release of V2.0.0 of Kerbin Side Remastered -The Life Aquatic, Steve and the rest of Team Zissou are ready to try out some multivessel explorations 

Rescue Boat? Check
Zellicopter? Check
Deep Search? Check

OK full speed ahead! 

kkw8j2O.png

The Belafonte courtesy of @ColdJ Shipyards

G2HVs5S.png

Created a moon around my new homeworld which i made yesterday. The moon is as close as it can be without getting torn apart from tidal forces. I did make the oceans look better as well. I placed the moon here so it isnt so hard to go somewhere after using up nearly all your fuel launching to low Temporalis orbit

Made a new mech, which went though like 5 redesigns.  Just the damn legs are a nightmare to get working to any degree when it comes to stability and such and took 3 variants before i was happy with em.

3QPBfoJ.png

So yeah, the very 1st model which uses the leg code i was using when the robit parts 1st came out (which took forever to get working given that it was supposed to carry at least 15t).  Looks like crap, walks like crap (although it does get 8m/s), requires a crapton of reaction wheels (these legs with the maximum weight it can carry need 18 of the medium wheel to stay upright), and is just crap.

RzfII5D.png

Attempting to make it faster and not require as many RTGs, i made a 2nd variant with just 2 actuators per leg with a somewhat unorthodox design of the feet which allowed it to actually grip rather well (speed was up to 10m/s with this layout even with those fuel tanks there).  I might go back to this design in the future but i wanted something rather small and compact for starters and this thing required also a crapton of reaction wheels to just stay upright.  The lack of foot actuators does simplify it but drastically decreases stability in pitch which means more reaction wheels and not much of a savings in RTGs.

eqey0uZ.png

So this is what i settled down on for the last 3 variants (didnt take pics of the 3rd or 4th but the legs were identical aside from the added ibeam that is there in case the legs smack the ground on braking/accelerating.  I went back to a more traditional leg design (at least as traditonal as you are gonna get for a chikin leg style build), equal length top/bottom leg segments, and to make it smaller profile i used the hinges instead which have the same strength as the medium servo/hinge without the massive size (no mech that can carry any useful amount of weight is going to work with the smallest servos).  The leg actually massively boosts the stability and lowers the reaction wheel requirements to 14 of the smallest sized wheels (which is 5 medium ones).  Its still a crapload of reaction wheels, but compared to the previous models this is nothing (its about half the weight of the larger mechs i had made a long time ago, and a tad slower but what can i do).  Anyways, speed is trash with 7m/s max on flat ground, but it actually is useful and looks cool.

1LAQt46.png

Speaking of looks, variant 3's upper torso was based on the assasin from mechwarrior (not a fan of the legs, but i like the rest of it).  The shape was also perfect for arming it with the larger firework cannister, open top and having the barrel where the cockpit would be in that image).  Although i soon had issues with it faceplanting into the ground the instant i stopped running/walking which ended up breaking the nose/cannon off constantly.  I ended up adding a pole that stuck out the front which looked utterly stupid and still didnt fix the problem since the mech would fall sideways occasionally, and adding a full body armor made it too top heavy.  Basically the thing looked good but didnt work, and i settled for the stabilizer spike being crotch mounted (it worked well from a physics standpoint and kept it from flipping when i stopped the legs but make it look even more stupid).  So i ended up more or less integrating the spike it would fall onto into the hull and well the end result ended up looking more like a prawn mech then anything else but hey, it still looked good.

Eqgeu2z.png

This is the near complete V5, with the spike which makes this entire mech actually work properly as acceleration is so high when it stops walking that it will crash into the ground and id rather it stay upright then crash onto it's face.  You can also see the head design with articulation, the main cannon only fires directly forward (no way i can make that turreted with so little space to work with), but it makes sense from a lore perspective (its gun is supposed to be based a capital ship grade autocannon so i guess you'd have to lock the articulation before firing or the recoil would tear the head off or something like that).

zf9t5ZN.png

Completed model somewhat makes it look better and adds wings to allow the kerbal to get in or out of it.  Originally the cockpit was going to be on the very top with the cannon nose mounted just below it, but i thought it would look better lower down and the only logical spot for the pilot is dead center of the hull.

ZDIWTRJ.png

Firing the primary weapon.  Its supposed to have secondary light arm mounted autocannons in universe but i just do not have the space to mount any more weapons on such a tiny mech without either making the arms disproportionally huge or getting rid of the arms and just bolting the secondary smaller firework cannisters direcrtly onto the side of the mech (i might do this as a subvariant since honestly the arms dont really do anything useful right now).

8SceFXW.png

Looking straight up with the head (arms track where the head looks).

5tkuveX.png

Walking over Ike's rather nasty terrain isnt too difficult for this thing in walk mode.  I have 2 slightly different animations, one for slower walking and 1 for full speed running (if you can call 7m/s running).  Works on every planet from Kerbin gravity to Minmus (minmus does require a special 3rd walk mode to not go flying every step but it has that option added.  All in all its got 3 different anims for walking, and on every planet ive tried it it seems to like at least 1 of the modes fine (with tweaking the animation rate ofc per planet as that cant really be standardized).

6F7jpWA.png

More cannon testing.

Kse54GT.png

And finally a shot that i think came out rather cool through the grass.

0PnlvLF.png

Really does look like a prawn mech...  Except with the right arm from the Assasin, the left arm from the Viper (both of those mechwarrior universe), the legs completely wrong and missing...