What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

While my old JNSQ career appears to be lost (after searching two computers & a memory stick), I did still have a sandbox save that I was using to test some craft from that career - specifically after I ran into issues with landing craft on Duna's more realistically thin atmosphere in JNSQ.  So out of boredom and wanting to solve that old problem I'd had, I slapped together a few different landers to try.  Happily, none of them went haywire like my old lander design did, but there are still some odd things going on - spent fuel tanks floating with me after staging despite thrusting at ~1g for example, or picking up over 10 m/s descent rate in less than a second when I cut my throttle near the ground despite the supposed (and measured with seismic accelerometer) 0.34 g surface gravity.  It feels more like landing on Tylo than Duna.

The first new lander design:

PgaKHb2l.png

GqPrJ5Zl.png

Three out of 4 landing gear survived, and it was short & wide enough to still be stable like that, so that's a win. 

LCT8sGml.png

The second/third lander had a similar basic layout but with some improvements. 

Pdq6f7Pl.png

ldVW7m4l.png

And again, 3 of 4 gear survived.  But this one wanted to skid across the ground at 0.1 m/s until I gave up & retracted the gear and it finally stopped.  The third version I dropped the ballute in place of regular drogue chutes, but edited the craft file to set the opening pressure much lower to make them actually useful on JNSQ Duna.  That actually worked fairly well - actually decelerated the lander down to reasonable velocities (~160 m/s) once fully open.  But it still tries to accelerate VERY fast at lower velocities during landing.

Iu243cRl.png

I flew by the mun and returned at 3000m/s+. I had to do multiple aerobraking passes and then managed to land without dying in the process. I instead fatfingered the physics warp and blew up my science jr on landing. Eh, still got 125 science+ a contract

EDIT: 

Oh, and I also created a plane with just the aviation node that can circumnavigate kerbin (probably). :cool:

Edited by Zozaf Kerman

I started a career save with Probes Before Crew. However, my science game is far behind. I'm frustratingly close to getting the parts I need for getting to space. So I've done nothing but sounding rockets that are flying low. The rocket? WAK Korporal. I needed a good name, and you can't go wrong adding K to the beginning of every word.

DJ9tsgq.pngFirst launch of the WAK KorporalSUCCESS!

Simple screenshot

7AoGeHS.pngSecond launch of the WAK Korporal SUCCESS!

It looms!

YI0VLd2.pngThird launch of the WAK Korporal FAILURE!

Uhh... funny pun haha.

ayHgliW.pngFourth launch of the WAK Korporal FAILURE!

I give up.

About to attempt my first return from Duna to Kerbin. Never done it before, so now I'll get to find out how risky interplanetary aerobraking at Kerbin without a heatshield really is.

Also turned out that Astrogator's auto-generated maneuver node for the return was a load of BS that missed Kerbin by 3.5 million kilometers, so I tossed it out and made my own that not only costs less dV but actually intersects Kerbin's SOI.

Added a bunch of biome maps, got some neat pictures, and released Estrela Dobre v1.0

Coralos with its new emissiveFX
s4NuTbO.png

Hados and Ieros with rings

udrPR1a.png

Collait with its moons and its surface just barely visible through clouds

W0pTLY7.png

Used Collait's texture, flipped it, changed some colors and used it on Culair, which is regarded as Collait's twin (they are binary partners too)
KjdqndC.png

Its surface is BARELY visible through the green cloud band (this pic was taken before I added the surface and subsequentley made the game freak out while rendering its surface due to using a jool template with PQS, switching to laythe template fixed literally all the pqs issues

I've been mostly wasting time running science labs, waiting for interplanetary ships. I'm converting all science to reputation... 500 science transmitted to go from 975.50 to 975.52 rep. Wow... inflation is bad these days. And cursing KSP bugs... ship starts accelerating (engine disabled) when I EVA. Also half the time I jump to ship on interplanetary intercept with a planet, orbit changed and I have to do another correction burn. Or there's some kraken drive on and orbit is changing with no thrust so I have to quickly jump to the tracking station and when I jump back to the ship it's back to normal but orbit changed. So annoying.   

I just finished Jool 5 in career and left for Kerbin. I'll post pics later.

On 1/6/2023 at 6:32 PM, Cavscout74 said:

I ran into issues with landing craft on Duna's more realistically thin atmosphere in JNSQ.  So out of boredom and wanting to solve that old problem I'd had, I slapped together a few different landers to try.  Happily, none of them went haywire like my old lander design did, but there are still some odd things going on - spent fuel tanks floating with me after staging despite thrusting at ~1g for example, or picking up over 10 m/s descent rate in less than a second when I cut my throttle near the ground despite the supposed (and measured with seismic accelerometer) 0.34 g surface gravity.  It feels more like landing on Tylo than Duna.

I haven't played JNSQ but thinking about it. I wonder what a JNSQ gee definition is... isn't the surface gravity on JNSQ Kerbin more than 9.8 m/s^2 ? Are the planet's densities the same as stock? Doesn't landing on JNSQ Kerbin feel like landing on stock Eve? shouldn't Duna feel like Tylo?

3 hours ago, Krazy1 said:

I haven't played JNSQ but thinking about it. I wonder what a JNSQ gee definition is... isn't the surface gravity on JNSQ Kerbin more than 9.8 m/s^2 ? Are the planet's densities the same as stock? Doesn't landing on JNSQ Kerbin feel like landing on stock Eve? shouldn't Duna feel like Tylo?

JNSQ Kerbin has the same gravity as stock Kerbin, but due to the much larger size it’s considerably less dense. Orbital velocity is nearly double that of stock Kerbin though so re-entry without a heatshield is almost impossible. Eve is even worse with 10atm pressure at sea level .

Worked on 2 subjects yesterday and today.

1/ Provided Part Volumes for Kerbalism so that the stock inventory can be used to store supply boxes, canisters, and Geiger counters without involving the KSP Part Volume mod.
2/ Replaced the Kerbalism 3D model for the Geiger Counter by the one found in FASA (without the animation of the needle)

Both works in a single picture:
image.png

Proposed 1/ as a pulled request in the Kerbalism mod.

Want to try it? Check my fork of the Kerbalism repo. (Do that in a disposable KSP installation)

Edited by OnlyLightMatters

12 hours ago, Krazy1 said:

It is definitely worth a try.  Very well done - and challenging - planet pack.   Densities are lower due to larger planets, but Kerbin is still 1g/9.8 m/s2.   The higher orbital velocities everywhere will throw off your instincts that you pick up playing stock KSP - the rocket that used to take you to Mun orbit & return with dV to spare will now barely make high Kerbin orbit.   Duna's gravity is defined in the config files as 0.34g, which matches what an in game seismic sensor displays on the surface, and isn't much different than stock.  Primarily just the size & atmosphere changed, with the atmosphere being a closer match to Mars rather than stock Duna. 

I just get all kinds of weird things going on when I try to land larger craft there, especially when I tried to deploy parachutes.    As far as I can tell, my JNSQ Duna is bugged, or maybe some of my parts or something - at least, no one else encountered similar issues back when I was running an active career and asking questions.    For added fun, I had modified every cockpit & probe with 1/10 strength reaction wheels, but left the dedicated reaction wheel parts alone, to force me to use RCS for most maneuvering, to give a little added realism.   But it meant when something went haywire at low altitude, chances of recovery were about nil.

Edited by Cavscout74

18 hours ago, Krazy1 said:

one gee is always 9.8m/s^2 no matter what mod you have installed. System replacers with either kerbin or Earth as the starting point typically are at 1g at the launch site, but some other places to start like Temporalis, it is 1.75g, the value of g remains the same, but for various objects in game and in mods, the force of gravity changes.

Continuing my tour of abandoned KSP installs across 2 computers, I fired up a 1.10 career that I barely started - it doesn't even seem like I got all my usual mods installed, but I was a few weeks in, with several flights done (specifically Jeb has been to orbit, but no one else  yet).  So I managed to get a primitive probe to flyby Mun & return, then a primitive comm satellite that despite having what should have been plenty of dV ended up using RCS to finish making orbit

Luna-1 returning home

7haU7wo.png

Comm sat entering orbit with RCS.  I also broke off the relay antenna on the visible side.  Great job, me.  Clearly my KSP skills have deteriorated in the time I've been absent.

HkVIMZq.png

Edited by Cavscout74

On 1/6/2023 at 3:13 PM, Delay said:

Played KSP for the first time on my new machine. I decided to fly around a little and enjoy the game on the highest settings along with Scatterer, Eve, Waterfall and TUFX.
ECIQC4R.png

FlJLCDy.png

Which EVE pack is that? (specifically I'm asking which CityLights files?)

30 minutes ago, panarchist said:

Which EVE pack is that? (specifically I'm asking which CityLights files?)

The standard BoulderCo config, I don't know if the city lights are supposed to be this way. Maybe something broke from one KSP version to another?

As for the clouds, they're custom. I wasn't happy with the sample ones, so modified them a bit.

Took a pair of tourists on an orbital trip then recovered safely

IuDrDdV.png

And landed Surveyor 1 on Mun

vjnmQsV.png

I also realized that this install was never completed - some mods weren't installed, others weren't trimmed of parts I don't use, the tech tree was pure stock.  So I'm probably just going to delete this one and go back to checking out other old saves.  I might even try to get all my Kerbals home in time for KSP 2.

I posted a Mission Report on the Duna and Ike mission from my career save.  It includes Elcano runs for both Duna and Ike, plus over 40,000 science collected in (almost) every biome and situation.

I have an Eve mission about to reach Eve SOI.  We'll see if I can get that one finished before KSP2 drops.