What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

By this plane I did launch 5 parts for 2nd orbital base , 2 orbital probes, and 1 relay. Without stupid SAS, only with trimmers before 22 000 m altitude. But today after last crash, the all parts inside plane creates drag :D. I think this is my last launch. Good bye KSP1.  Hope KSP 2 will be a real game, not a bag of bugs

zRiQ6OD.jpeg

Hey Kerbalites.

Been a long time. Started a new career.

And landed a oneman ship with 2 Kerbals on Minmus.

8b7JDPx.png

On a science gathering mission to Minmus my pilot picked up a stranded Kerbal from some failed-space-startup-cie.

No warping with a Kerbal on the ladder was a bummer. Good thing they were orbiting low.

There might be enough delta-v for a return to Kerbin but someone would'nt make it.

So now its a rescue mission.

I had the new pilot fly the ship.

In hindsight I should have left him outside as the Minmus polaroid would have two different flags.

That would have been cooler. Live and learn.

Next time. Maybe.

ME

Oh dear, not another one of those!

NGsxwVT.png

Here at SpacePixel Aerospace we're always taking a good idea one step too far, and today's victim is the First Order landing craft. Having liked the shape, I originally conceived of my rendition of it as a Duna cargo aircraft. Over the course of some years it has evolved or, more aptly, devolved into a supremely ugly landing craft with three ducted fans to provide VTOL capability, a forward-facing ramp to facilitate loading and unloading, and four afterburning turbojets for GTFOing out of the LZ ASAP. The crew cabin is on the dorsal side directly behind the cargo bay, which allows zero visibility of the landing area, but supposedly supreme protection, as long as you can survive the landing, of course. Overall, I think the craft is an interesting study on how a craft can get so ugly as to transcend ugliness and become endearing in its own way, though opinions sure differ on the degree to which it is endearing...

Dispatched a terrain and biome scanning relay satellite to Gael's second moon, Ceti, which despite the considerably longer distance to travel will arrive in just three days whereas the identical probe I sent to the first moon Iota will take almost 12 days to get there? Orbital physics is weird sometimes...

My main goal for Eve went from; "Lets to a full mission with Jeb" to "Lets take a Kerbal I don't care about and just put a mission on the surface, worry about return later." Somehow this still ended up going wrong. The parachute was setup above the science parts and to sperate it I had no choice but to place the decoupling SRB's in the skirt of the system. This destroyed most of the science parts. Then the landing gear (as it often does on a heckhole like Eve) glitched  due to the chaos and caused a capsize. A goo canister survived but other then that it's a total mess, at least Danny is on the ground with a mostly functional base and ready to start his stay. I hope he enjoys the movies we packed because he's gonna be watching them a lot over the next few years.

C0zxeMn.png

YIR0anX.png

I made a unique pair of wormholes connecting the Estrela Dobre and Excelsior systems! It works seamlessley.

I achieved the effect by using two bodies. the main body is the wormhole object, and a tiny star for the light effect with 0 soi or luminousity (as any whatsoever caused ridiculous temperatures lol)

Hey all.

Last I reported that I had two Kerbals on Minmus with a oneman ship for them both.

8b7JDPx.png

So I sent a rescue mission piloted by Jeb himself.

Spoiler

NyrS2jR.png

PEHpufz.png

xPmS3Bw.png

L71dSxl.png

LAPyKmH.png

I didn't think I would get him that close.

2XjhmMQ.png

Spoiler

1O95K0P.png

The Mun helped save some delta-v.

7cwvJ8t.png

8Ye1YDD.png

ME

Edited by Martian Emigrant

On 1/21/2023 at 11:44 PM, whytho said:

https://imgur.com/sH1fNY6

edit: sorry about the link, idk how to properly send images in this forum so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Just copy image link in imgur, here in forum click "Insert image from URL", paste link and manually fill correct file extension, e.g. https://imgur.com/sH1fNY6 change to https://imgur.com/sH1fNY6.png and your images will appear in thread.

13 hours ago, jimmymcgoochie said:

Dispatched a terrain and biome scanning relay satellite to Gael's second moon, Ceti, which despite the considerably longer distance to travel will arrive in just three days whereas the identical probe I sent to the first moon Iota will take almost 12 days to get there? Orbital physics is weird sometimes...

As a wise Kerbal once said: What you gained in swiftness of transit, you will pay back upon capturing. Or something like that.

One should never regret one's excesses, only one's failures of nerve

zPLEVud.png

With four swiveling engine nacelles and less that aerodynamic shape, it was never about performance, it was all about style. Coruscation is the pleasure craft for the adventurous-minded, featuring a flight deck for a snub fighter or a rotary wing craft, as well as a rover bay, all in a deceptively small package. Compared with some actual long-range craft, such as Cassandra and Celesta, Coruscation falls short in terms of range (although it can get to Duna from right from the runway), but rocks an advanced VTOL system with independent thrust vectoring to make stylish landings possible almost anywhere. It's something of an SUV of a spaceplane - sure looks tough and fancy, but in practice you better make sure you've got a refueling outpost nearby.

The experiment of the last several days has been to set up a "Moho Ring Route":

xm0dZsq.jpg    23NpzcU.jpg

Four craft orbiting in the ecliptic (0 inclination) with nominal AP: 6.226 Gm and PE: 6.02Gm, and with PE (ideally) at Moho's DN.  Orbital period is 136d 4h 38m 58.667s which constitutes a 4:3 orbital resonance with Moho, yielding the potential for Moho capture for each craft every 3 turns, which is 410d.  These would be fuel tankers and an incoming tanker would be replaced by an outgoing tanker with full fuel.

Experiments with captures showed a typical local inclination of 107-115 degrees with a periaptic target velocity around 1580 m/s, which is not too bad (as an upper limit) for capture/ejection.

Since Moho turns so slowly (123 Kerbin days), mining is likely to have to occur near the poles and be launched into a polar orbit to replenish the "fifth" tanker.

Noting that Eeloo's average speed is 3.7 km/s and the Ring Route speed is about 13.5 -- 10km/s difference -- I'm going to start planning a Duna Ring Route with 7 fuel stations: ring speed 7.5 km/s.  :)

(Folks, I do comprehend that Mad Science is not a pretty thing to watch unfold.  Somebody has to do this stuff.  Mutter.)

Before that, some experimentation with a Tylo gravity well crane called Tycho.

rAtPOnN.jpg     FWnQu8Y.jpg

It can take a 15t payload down to the surface and back up, assuming refueling available on the surface and in LTO (from e.g. Vall).

It launches from KSC with an ORB miner in tow.  Refuels in LKO and then proceeds to Tylo.  Refuels again and then deposits the ORB on the surface.  Then takes a Jumbuck fuel truck (transported separately) down purely to take pressure off of subsequent landing accuracy.

By detuning the 3x Skipper thrust to TWR just slightly greater than 1, Jebediah was able to successfully redock with the ORB, but 3 trips with the Jumbuck will also refill the Tycho.  Picking up a maneuverable payload like the Jumbuck, which can position itself under the Tycho stern dock is very easy.  In general, Tycho only requires any payload to have a single top dock of any size.

The problem is that @#$! KSP1 robotics causes the 3x hydraulic pistons to often just disappear after a scene reload.  I haven't solved this so far, which is too bad, because the craft was promising to be very fun and versatile to use.

Edited by Hotel26

19 hours ago, Minmus Taster said:

. A goo canister survived but other then that it's a total mess, at least Danny is on the ground with a mostly functional base and ready to start his stay. I hope he enjoys the movies we packed because he's gonna be watching them a lot over the next few years.

Yep, that sure sounds like one of my normal Eve missions.   :(

Today I put an apartment complex into orbit. Putting a fully assembled string of 4 cans that has a docking port, an antenna, and can produce power that accommodates 12 Kerbals looks easier than it is. I thought I was trying to fly a garden hose! But that sweet contract money made it into my pockets!

Bb3qa9I.png

20 hours ago, Minmus Taster said:

A goo canister survived but other then that it's a total mess, at least Danny is on the ground with a mostly functional base and ready to start his stay. I hope he enjoys the movies we packed because he's gonna be watching them a lot over the next few years.

1 hour ago, Cavscout74 said:

Yep, that sure sounds like one of my normal Eve missions.   :(

As sad as it is to say this, that sounds like a Mun mission in my game. Things in my universe start to go wrong about 100m off the launch pad. :/

47 minutes ago, AuddieD2015 said:

Today I put an apartment complex into orbit. Putting a fully assembled string of 4 cans that has a docking port, an antenna, and can produce power that accommodates 12 Kerbals looks easier than it is. I thought I was trying to fly a garden hose! But that sweet contract money made it into my pockets!

Bb3qa9I.png

As sad as it is to say this, that sounds like a Mun mission in my game. Things in my universe start to go wrong about 100m off the launch pad. :/

Have you tried Autostrut or Autostrut with rigid attachment?

I was making a heightmap for a tidally locked desert planet, then decided to just add the two other star systems I was planning anyways, put in a main planet for each (the Ecuminopolis for Arcturus and Proxility for Pythros).
I tried the heightmap on the desert planet, it just... looked off so I tried it on some other wip planets, and it fits really well with Proxility! I then discovered that I had no specular whatsoever on Correlae or Termania.
Tfp25r3.png

Proxility is the 3rd out of 5 planets in the Pythros system, and the Arcturus system will probably have 6, or even seven planets.

Pythros will have:
A small lava planet (the only object in my mod that has lava due to its proximity to its parent star)
An Eve-like planet with two moons
Proxility (pic) with its three moons
A contact binary rocky planet (I will actually try this, but I am certain that they cannot touch or the craft would easily fall through the other planet and just... die
A gas giant with a few moons, including a methane ocean moon.

Arcturus is actually a merged contact binary, the red nova generated by the merging event lasted for a few weeks and was around 100x its luminousity for the duration as the two stars' cores merged. The luminousity was 2.25L before and is now at about 10L. It will have:
A burnt out core of a gas giant with a few captured melted asteroids
A puffy gas giant with two moons
A slightly Ecuminopolis world with a sunshield and its moon
The main Ecuminopolis world with a sunshield and its two moons
A Duna-like world that had a sunshield, but it fragmented during the event meaning that several chunks are still in orbit, and it has a few burnt areas.
A gas giant with a few moons
Idk what to add beyond... hmm..

I have no idea what to name any of these planets or moons, though I already have names for Proxility's three moons.

These two systems are placed far enough so their light do not excessivley illuminate planets in other systems. BUT the Estrela Dobre system does dimly illuminate planets in the Excelsior system as that star is kinda-sorta the third star of Estrela Dobre.
Excelsior actually formed around 3-4 billion years before Estrela Dobre. It was captured by the newly forming system, and has been in orbit for the 2.5 billion years Estrela Dobre has existed. Later on, around 3 billion years from now, the contact binary stars of Estrela Dobre will inevitably merge, and 3 billion years from then, the system will die, and Excelsior will likely fly off due to the mass loss of the dead star, though it might get destroyed with Estrela Dobre.

17 hours ago, AuddieD2015 said:

Bb3qa9I.png

You can use external seats, each will count as one kerbal. It will be easier this way :P

Just now, AuddieD2015 said:

LOL Awesome! So that load screen of Kerbals sitting on the outside of a rocket is a real thing!

Yes and tourists can seat on external seats too, even if they can't leave the seat (and so they can't change seat), I wonder what would happenif the seat they're in blows up lol

More derpin around with ship-ship battles
XLormSq.png

Torpedoes away

NZNf0SE.png

Evasive action

TE9iOR0.png

Kaboom

gYOjQWr.png

The Nebula class frigate now with improved asthetics in all its glory (even if i sorta wasted around 50 parts purely for looks, screw it, looks come b4 lag)

Z3gNfKz.png

Entering DPC range

gI0lj0u.png

Dat just looks amazing to see real time combat : )...

The first attempts at going interplanetary started with a launch to Duna.

0VBQ4Jx.png

Spoiler

And while looking in the tracking station at some near asteroid encounters, I found that Kerbin acquired a new friend.

a1f42ry.png

Then off to Eve.

9AgNHXu.png

Which goes well. The probe made orbit and sent back some science.

XYtYtp2.png

The Duna probe not so much. We lost contact well before it got there (My antenna tech is not good enough for Duna. Apparently)

kouO1dk.png