What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

Hello! I have not posted here in about two years, but I've started another science save, and I'm excited to show off it's progress as I continue to advance.

Recently, I manually piloted a probe mission to the moon, I had no SAS so it was a large pain to manually adjust reaction wheel authority so that I could get the results I wanted. Even in the end, I completely forgot to pack more than a Science Jr....

image.png

image.png

I am also still on a potato, every launch is a slideshow, and that's okay, for now.
When KSP2 comes out I imagine I am going to suffer a lot more...

Well... just finished my first interplanetary mission to Duna in Kerbalism (Simplex). Did a lot of preparations, got there safely, even had the luck to land during an eclipse.

Spoiler

screenshot2.png

screenshot4.png

Got back in orbit, successfully docked, waited for the transfer. I managed to send the crew back on their way to Kerbin. These screenshots will tell you the rest of the story of my heroes: Padous and Bill.

Spoiler

screenshot9.png

screenshot11.png

screenshot17.png

I brought them back home. I brought them.. back.. home.. :cry:

Edited by Vl3d

Hi all Kerbonuts.

Sent 3 ponies to the Mün.

They had a nice ride there.

Landed in a stable spot.

Romp around for a while.

Then mission control said "Hay, time to go home".

They herd and corralled themselves back and got back in the saddle.

They had a good coach.

They were chomping at the bit to go.

Didn't a stick or carrot.

mwXBynr.png

Going home photo taken by the docking-tunnel-polaroid.

pYFpXFF.png

ME

I can't believe it flies! I unlocked supersonic and high altitude flight today and made this. I thought for certain it would be flaming panels on the runway but it took off right out of the box without having to go back in for adjustments. It took very little runway for it to fly, which surprised me since it weighs 12 tons. 

Edit: It's not supersonic. Mach 0.83 is as fast as I could push it.

NCbmsKv.png

Edited by AuddieD2015

Found an aircraft of unidentified marque attached to a munar space station and determined to pilot it down to Tolstoy base on the Mun's equator.  Figured out it was a Delta, from October 2020 but no Pilot's Handbook available...

Foolishly attempted a night landing anyway.

uGm1UH2.jpg

Crew (2) survived but engine stacks were destroyed while cart-wheeling in lo-grav after hooking a wheel.

Engineers are going to beef up the roll-axis RCS for me...

On 1/30/2023 at 1:00 AM, AuddieD2015 said:

Edit: It's not supersonic. Mach 0.83 is as fast as I could push it.

I'm sorry, but that's wholly unacceptable.

We had a meeting at the SWiS hangar, and that beauty deserves to go Mach 2.8. Minimum. So we tweaked it a bit.

vDwZSz0.png

50MDCdj.png

YW7vDz6.png

Edited by swjr-swis
forum oopsie?

1 hour ago, swjr-swis said:

I'm sorry, but that's wholly unacceptable.

We had a meeting at the SWiS hangar, and that beauty deserves to go Mach 2.8. Minimum. So we tweaked it a bit.

Nice! I will have Bill work up the blueprints and get one of Jeb's clones ready for a test flight!

EDIT: @swjr-swis You provided a craft file also! Back to canning beans, Bill!

Edited by AuddieD2015
Saying thanks

SPACE NEWS GAZETTE  [next]

I have been using Anion recently to perform some survey work on Kerbin and, after a long day, thought I'd take a short HET refresher checkride in Anion[click + arrows = slide show]

sidteph.jpg    j50icaY.jpg    ef8AehH.jpg    4mIKbRl.jpg

1. accelerating directly toward Minmus (46 Mm distant);
  2. reaching midpoint 12m after KSC departure with 23 Mm to go, now traveling at 76.5 km/s, then turning immediately retrograde to begin the deceleration phase;
  3. achieved capture 22m after KSC departure and then commenced the HET descent reaching a peak speed of 4.2 km/s;
  4. entering Low Minmus Orbit 29m after KSC departure.

Experienced a little over 14g (propelled by 2 out of Anion's 3 engines) for almost the whole trip.  If I recall correctly, it is actually safe to use all three engines on full throttle in deep space, but only if the  power is ramped up and down smoothly with the throttles.  Sudden application/removal is almost certain to shred the space plane.

Credit to the whole team is due:  Anion is Caerfinon's Latitude fitted with a 23rd-century anti-matter drive, the blueprints of which were leaked to me by Dr Swis.  My only contribution is 6kg of sweat lost to labored breathing while piloting the machine.

Edited by Hotel26

25 minutes ago, AuddieD2015 said:

Today in KSP I discovered Murphy's Thirteenth Law of Duhnamics. I stranded 3 sets of Kerbals on Mun. Since I only have 6, I guess a probe will be their savior. If I can land it better than the others. haha

I know this has made the rounds of KSP for a while, but I didn't realize it was supposed to be a game guide.......   :D

x1I4jrW.png*

*courtesy of KSP Facebook page, I have no idea where it originated.

I have not actually started playing with it yet but I installed Real Solar System today in a second game instance. It should be interesting considering the greatly larger amounts of dV required. I want to see if I can crash Apollo 11 into the Moon as effectively as I can crash Kerbal X into Mun.

I'm going through and refining some of my old craft files. Most notably my Fafnir rocket (an early stock attempt at creating a Falcon 9 style rocket), and Kitty Hawk (a standalone variant of a rocket originally built exclusively for one of my manned spacecraft).
52666516838_a39ac2f1a9_o.png
52666308354_aca389f4d8_o.png
52666517148_67468136eb_o.png
Except for some flavor stuff like conformal decals and modular launch pads, these rockets are pretty much stock/restock compatible.

Edited by Blufor878

I have added the final two systems to my mod and am working on them...
I am wondering.. what should I name the star cluster? It has four systems with varying general qualities...
Estrela Dobre has more massive planets
Excelsior (satellite of Estrela Dobre, a homan transfer to here takes 60 years) is.. well.. the system is straight up wrecked by an event n stuff, but still a normal orange dwarf system
Pythros is a distant, strange... uhm.. magical system where its mostly normal.. MOSTLY.... 
Arcturus is an even more distant system where its incredibly technologically advanced n stuff! 
All of the stars are fairly close to each other, where it takes about 15 years to get to Pythros at around 90km/s (Arcturus is around 2-3x further), so it is technically fully explorable with stock parts, but the mod includes a few engines to help you out..

I did shrink all of the orbits in Estrela Dobre by 20% after fixing a calculation error where its actually about 0.79L instead of 0.9L (the stars were already fine, I just initially screwed up distances)
I then felt the system was a bit small, and added a distant massive, oblate gas giant Glacios. It will have five moons.

MOmXj9R.png

It also receives less light than Eeloo. Glacios' equatoral radius is the same as Jool, and it is also 3x the mass of Jool