What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

Since I fly a space potato and miss the minimum system requirements for KSP2 by more than I miss my maneuver burns, I went anomaly hunting on Mun. I flew into the top of East Crater Arch today. On the second attempt, my rocket fell over when I landed and I couldn't RCS my way back upright. Time to test what a horizontal burn while on the Mun's surface facing the arch will do.

I gone rootz this time.

Kerbals and Kerbalettes, I proudly present you.. The Blender!!

This is the most sadistic practical way to fulfil a contract where Kerbals are willing to experience some G forces! (never, ever fail to read that fine print, guys!)

It's also the first time this year that I fired up KSP just to have some fun!! #HURRAY!!

Inspired on a question on reddit.

00_The-Craft.png

01_Launch.png

03_Success.png

To download the craft file, click here.

— — — —

9 hours ago, swjr-swis said:

r2MhIuI.png

A free-form variation on @Hotel26's Conchiglie. Clearly.

Bob would not accept any other designation than CSH for this one. Nerd. :rolleyes:

You know… This thing would be a nice 4 PAX Shoe (Mig 105) Space Shuttle, if you manage to rework it to use a rapier (to have some flying capabilities) and make it survivable on a reentry...

U3lPuEA.png

I've spent the past several hours putting together as many Aerobee variants as I think makes any sense to make in current RP-1 (not historical colour schemes for the most part because I am having difficulty finding adequate source images). To make sure these work in hard mode, I have learned so much more about how to get rockets to ignite in high dynamic pressure than I ever expected to have to learn.

For anyone who also plays RP-1 and wants to know the secret to sounding rocket ignitions: if thrust-to-weight ratio of the solid first stage is fairly low (i.e. 3g to 6g), try igniting the engine as late as possible while still during the burn (0.05 seconds is a good bet). If the thrust-to-weight ratio is very high, you'll need more time, though the exact amount varies and is usually between 0.2 and 0.8 seconds (heavily dependent on design). The worst contender here is Nike-Aerobee (second from right), which requires the AJ10-27 to ignite 1.7 entire seconds before solid burnout - that's more than half of the burn time of the solid stage - just to get a reasonably consistent success rate.

8 hours ago, AuddieD2015 said:

Time to test what a horizontal burn while on the Mun's surface facing the arch will do.

I fully expect a video with a South-American accented commentator going "GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL!!"

4 hours ago, Lisias said:

I fired up KSP just to have some fun!!

Yes! Do people still understand that this is what it's supposed to be about?

4 hours ago, Lisias said:

You know… This thing would be a nice

Don't do that. Don't put ideas in my head when I still have more than half the work week ahead and already running behind on sleep. Argh... :sticktongue:

Had a bit of an adventure.  Went to the Mun to rescue a Kerbal.

za0rBjb.jpg

Made it back to the carrier.  It is a new design and needs more testing.

6ZQwKj7.jpg

Takeoff!  But because this one was up by the North pole it used too much fuel.

MPCAJkS.jpg

Kinda sorta miscalculated the burn point and found water instead of land. 

Jr2XFgv.jpg

Another perfect landing!

lzKHk24.jpg

I know what you're thinking and I didn't mean for it to happen, if it's any consolation

3nwhnDz.png

Tempeterant is a craft of a breed of its own, and not because of the tail assembly. Long-range cargo spaceplanes are notoriously hard to balance, the ones with a loading ramp even more so. The usual approach, when a ramp is absolutely unavoidable, is to make the center hull entirely dry, so that the CoM wouldn't move as fuel is burned. Tempeterant, as you can tell, has a massive fuel tank in front of the cargo bay. One would expect the CoM to move back as the forward tanks are dried. However, I figured I could avoid the travelling CoM if I were to balance the forward fuel tanks with aft fuel tanks. So that's where the massive booms come from. and the tail assembly straight from bad 70s sci-fi flicks is just a logical consequence of these massive booms sticking out the rear.

The craft is perfectly balanced -- even if only LF tanks are filled -- and can easily deploy large cargo without employing some elaborate lifts, cranes and other superfluous devices. Of course, I solved a problem which is completely made up -- I could've just as well built another Skyclone with dry center hull, and this thing sure isn't anywhere near as efficient. My only defense is that after a decade of KSP I've become so jaded that I do not care about petty notions of efficiency.

1 hour ago, swjr-swis said:

Any landing you can swim away from is a ... thousand miles from the shore, usually. Your turn to paddle, Doodgar.

Ah!!! So this is the real meaning of this scene!!!

1 hour ago, Lisias said:

So this is the real meaning of this scene!!!

Two minutes to bed time and you get the voices in my head to start a singalong. Thanks.

<mutters into the group>

So, were we having a good time?

Spoiler

And just to return the favor, since this is what's going on in my head now in multi-voice harmony:

Edited by swjr-swis

That spaceplane isn't perfect, but it takes off, flies, and lands just fine.  It just needs a little more range.

Just had a really close shave, this time with a rocket.  My first landing on Laythe.  To Laythe!

xIqfrt3.jpg

So far so good.

8RuV7MC.jpg

Fuel?  We don't need no stinking fuel!

DzACjrc.jpg

The parachutes work!

Hwjjx0B.jpg

Who needs landing legs anyway?

AhoxEk3.jpg

Laythe base is operational and collecting science.

16 hours ago, Lisias said:

(never, ever fail to read that fine print, guys!)

I totally failed to read! I also had a high gee tourist contract. I flew a quick flight, Jeb easily made them pass out and no credit. It says "suborbital" not "flying". Yeah. OK. That changes everything. I need to be above 80 km. I thought the money was too easy... I tried SRBs but not quite enough force. So how do I launch your centrifuge to space??? Oh... I still didn't read... reddit thinks it won't work. I need linear acceleration. I guess I need bigger SRBs. That does solve every problem in KSP.

53 minutes ago, Krazy1 said:

I totally failed to read! I also had a high gee tourist contract. I flew a quick flight, Jeb easily made them pass out and no credit. It says "suborbital" not "flying". Yeah. OK. That changes everything. I need to be above 80 km. I thought the money was too easy... I tried SRBs but not quite enough force. So how do I launch your centrifuge to space??? Oh... I still didn't read... reddit thinks it won't work. I need linear acceleration. I guess I need bigger SRBs. That does solve every problem in KSP.

I find the Reddits lack if faith… Disturbing. :sticktongue:

a61xBxB.png

Remove the Launch Stability Enhancers, shove some engines under the Adapter tank (use it to hold some fuel too) and fire the whole thing into the skies. Check your staging!!! :) The thing already have a Probe Computer, so controlling it will not be a problem even after firing up the separators.

Once you are up there, hit the separators and fire the SRBs. This should do the trick: the capsules are now discrete vessels, and the G Forces will be applied to them even by the main vessel having none of it (the problem The Blender solves even with the craft rooted into the ground).

How to bring the tourists back alive, however, I left as an exercise to the reader… :D 

I think I did KSP2's second weekly challenge on KSP(its a hybrid of a plane launch thing and a very SSTO)
If not, I still made a satellite that scans the surface of bodies, while acting as a relay
J1PCPta.png

Theen I sent a nova sat up to go to the mun, so I yeeted a TOW up
e3EXrXn.png
ZkzQIhj.png
ocJXDQV.pngfcecCAC.png
KVMOpkD.png

Messing around with Micro Stations! I decided to call the space station the Astro Space Station, or ASS. Yeah, I realized that a little too late...

ys7qkXI.png

keKZ4NK.png

JBBfMYW.png

And with that, the space station was ready for inhabitants. Out first inhabitant is, of course, Jeb. However, I didn't quite think too well when making the shuttle craft. Turns out I added the wrong docking port to it. And I also ran out of fuel. Oopsie...

gwPflXS.png

Jeb was told by mission control to shut down everything in the space craft, and to EVA over to ASS.

7dD1DEG.png

Watching my failures float away...

Valentina will be sent up in a 2-seater command module, and live with Jeb on his fifty day mission. Things are definitely going to get a little bit cramped though.

OK, so I did it yesterday, bah anyways.

I extended the bus+adder thing (I really need to find it a name) and added KALs that automate certain operations. Currently there are: TAB, TBA, TAC, TCA, TBC, TCB, ADD.

KALlogic_040.png

Now, if I can find a way to run them automatically when a certain thing is at a certain value... Well well well, I guess I'll get a computer in KSP.

More info here: https://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/214231-the-kerbal-kal-logic-computing-laboratory-wip/&do=findComment&comment=4254970

Re-installed RSS+RO while waiting for ksp2 to mature, during my playthrough I made a mach 2.5 capable plane, mach 3 capable if you use the power of friendship (and a burnt engine)
n2dByaU.png

I though making planes with FAR would be a pain, but it turns out it's similar to stock, the flying is a bit different, but it's really fun!. (just don't pull too many G's at mach 2 or you'll be pulling that red handle)

Continuing to mess around with micro stations! Last time, Jebediah was stranded aboard ASS due to... minor miscalculations. So Valentina was sent out aboard an all new crew shuttle, decked out with the latest in Kerbal technologies: two seats! It's a tiny bit uncomfortable, but whatever.

PmyAcbQ.png

bvaMyay.png

Liftoff!

DCE2Oly.png

After the boosters were separated, Valentina heard and explosion, and felt an oscillation around the craft. It was found to be just a decoupler, and the launch proceeded.

IVL038Y.png

Rqotr3h.png

Success! Valentina arrives at ASS with lots of fuel too spare. She boards the module with Jeb, who's very excited to have a way back home. The crew now can just chill.

SswUi9U.png

F3pO7B7.png

"So, uh... how's life been treating you?" -Jebediah Kerman

Edited by Kerbalsaurus
New page!