What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

I started a new forum thread.

I wanted to create craft files for mods that have awesome parts, but don't have existing craft files for you to play around with the assembled product. So far I have two variants of Vulcan and a Titan LDC build.
https://kerbalx.com/ManateeAerospace/Titan-LDC
https://kerbalx.com/ManateeAerospace/Vulcan-401
https://kerbalx.com/ManateeAerospace/Vulcan-564
Also previews
52748652451_5e13b6f3fa_o.png
52744630262_b74978f208_o.png
52745148796_2d44dbd744_o.png

At long last, perfectly balanced. As all things should be.

Br3Mg1Z.jpg

If you've missed the previous installment of the Solmourant saga, I'm happy for you, but to quickly recap I've spent a weekend trying to balance aesthetics, NERVs and Darts, failed miserably and went back to work. I am now proud to say that I feel that I've remedied the aesthetic issues of the previous version of this space cow derivative by way of finding a neat little spot for the NERVs right by the CoM where they don't seem to generate way too much drama.

The new Solmourant is all about more cargo, less hassle. Its CoM moves for no one, part count is below 80, the docking port is conveniently situated for a change, and VTOL thrusters enable gentle powered landing on any site.  It's rather pedestrianly rated for Duna and nowhere beyond (yes, you can take it to Laythe; no, I do not recommend it), can barely lift off with 8 t of payload (is that what you call "more cargo"?), and is notoriously sluggish under Mach 1, but in exchange you get 3.5 units of Mk3 cargo space you can put down anywhere between Eve orbit and the asteroid belt. Effective cargo space and unloading mechanism more than top cargo mass for interplanetary payloads, in my experience. Not once have I been constrained by mass, but always by the lack of a ramp or a cargo bay short in either length or height, if not both. Hopefully, Solmourant will suffice for my payloads for years to come.

(Also apparently the name means like dying sun? I wouldn't know, I've only taken French on Duolingo). 

DHFBHmd.png

Launched the Minmus In-depth Orbital Investigator, (MIOI) combined with a small lander. It's armed with some mid-sized scanning equipment and a large antenna. It'll operate for the next 250 days in LMiO.

DKIJg0G.png

Once we're in high orbit, I deployed the lander to land in a polar highlands region with a large amount of ore.

ArIEeOb.png

Upon landing, we discovery the area has an ore concentration of 11.33% - perfect for a base. But I wouldn't choose this place just yet.

Q5XJPYe.png

Meanwhile, Cornerstone is starting to become more recognizable. I added the truss portion.

7FOtbxn.png

Soon after I finished my Minmus mission, I launched Merlin IV, with the aim of visiting the station temporarily, as the Logisitics module containing the majority of our supplies hasn't yet arrived.

fEzmLud.png

s463mvz.png

zNvIwgs.png

Several hours later, we arrive at the station and dock just as night falls. The Merlin crew will have to wait for a couple hours for the station to pressurize and heat up so they can board it.

hrW46QI.png

G5yrjqd.png

In the morning, the crew finally enter the station and start to spread out throughout the station turning on vital systems. Notice Mission Commander Valentina's rage at discovering her pathetic excuse for a control center.

X209mwU.png

Meanwhile, Mundee begins his spacewalk to check recyclers and scanning equipment.

LDWzQT4.png

5OZSAqG.png

One thing he does notice however, is the fact that the magnetometer is at an odd angle. Clearly the automated docking system must have erred and docked it at the wrong angle. As such, Mundee gets to work.

MdZjMuz.png

He installs the magnetometer on the bottom of the Science and Utility Module, allowing the magnetometer to deploy smoothly.

flJis9u.png

JGMTRWZ.png

Was a bit of a fluke while plotting a trajectory, but after multiple mun encounters, and just before being ejected from the Kerbin system, the current path is pretty much bang on the requested contract orbit's periapsis and inclination.  Just needs a 0.04 m/s butterfly fart of a midcourse correction, and then a braking burn 7 days later into mun orbit.

Feels like a real life mission plan!

Edited by suicidejunkie
increased precision in the burn number

22 hours ago, SpacePixel said:

At long last, perfectly balanced. As all things should be.

Br3Mg1Z.jpg

If you've missed the previous installment of the Solmourant saga, I'm happy for you, but to quickly recap I've spent a weekend trying to balance aesthetics, NERVs and Darts, failed miserably and went back to work. I am now proud to say that I feel that I've remedied the aesthetic issues of the previous version of this space cow derivative by way of finding a neat little spot for the NERVs right by the CoM where they don't seem to generate way too much drama.

The new Solmourant is all about more cargo, less hassle. Its CoM moves for no one, part count is below 80, the docking port is conveniently situated for a change, and VTOL thrusters enable gentle powered landing on any site.  It's rather pedestrianly rated for Duna and nowhere beyond (yes, you can take it to Laythe; no, I do not recommend it), can barely lift off with 8 t of payload (is that what you call "more cargo"?), and is notoriously sluggish under Mach 1, but in exchange you get 3.5 units of Mk3 cargo space you can put down anywhere between Eve orbit and the asteroid belt. Effective cargo space and unloading mechanism more than top cargo mass for interplanetary payloads, in my experience. Not once have I been constrained by mass, but always by the lack of a ramp or a cargo bay short in either length or height, if not both. Hopefully, Solmourant will suffice for my payloads for years to come.

(Also apparently the name means like dying sun? I wouldn't know, I've only taken French on Duolingo). 

There are some interesting ideas there and I gotta try some of them out.  This is what I'm up to today.  Why did that happen?

ln3xrkN.jpg

Explain your smolness

SHnLdhm.png

Pictured is the Logre reconnaissance tiltjet coming in for a landing at landing ship SSX Egerie. While the VTOL is pretty self-explanatory, the carrier is actually a design study on a Laythe operating base. It's built around a single Mk3 fuselage, and features a landing ramp for deploying rovers, an elevator and a flight deck for aircraft, as well as submarine launching dock. My original idea -- to which I may yet revert -- was to even make the flight deck unfold so that I could pack the entire aircraft carrier into a 5 m fairing -- yeah, talk about a tight fit. This craft could serve as Laythe exploration hub, featuring a complement of transport & exploration aircraft (2 helis and 1 tiltjet), a mining rover, and a science-laden sub (yes, it all fits!). Moreover, the carrier can even host lighter VTOL spaceplanes -- the limiting factor is not even flight deck size, but the weight of the spaceplane that, if misplaced, may, well, heel the ship most severely, resulting in aircraft sliding off the flight deck or even a capsizing 

QXIr1ll.png

First launch of the day: launching the logistics module to Cornerstone.

pkwq3IA.png

Suffered a minor mishap during launch: However, I only lost a single fin. The rocket is designed to operate with a faulty fin, so the flight engineers were able to quickly pivot and successfully continue the mission.

HNpVmx1.png

4EZCsBf.png

And added! However, there's no-one to use those supplies, as there's no-one currently on the station. Merlin IV was only a 5 day mission to ascertain the habitability of Cornerstone.

OAryrFY.png

Brm1lbl.png

Second launch is the final module of Cornerstone: The Gravity Wheel Experiment: to see whether a small-scale inflatable gravity wheel is feasible, and to conduct experiments about how microgravity will affect the body compared to small amounts of gravity.

cHlNBou.png

8WWIKVP.png

While launching: the same failure occured! I lost yet another fin. TrrJ813.png

9AzsucY.png

Ended up with a very quick intercept: Within 15 minutes we were at the station, preparing to dock.

BCTzy3B.png

5qRXfAs.png

Merlin VI soon takes off. Now, you may notice that this one is launching from the runway: You would be correct. Technically, Merlin V has not even launched yet. They were unexpectedly delayed due to problems with the rocket and with the Kerbin Gravmax and Magnetometry Surveyor. As a result, SPH division had to take charge of assembly of Merlin VI ahead of schedule, using the backup version of the MCTV.

Ay0RzXp.png

VtwNbOp.png

ak57BSt.png

After I docked, I realised a huge mistake I had made when launching Cornerstone: I docked the truss module in the wrong orientation. There should be a tube extending outward from the truss, but instead, it was docked to the rest of Cornerstone. I mean, the mistake was sealed the moment I launched the fourth module, so I had to improvise. Thankfully, I was able to dock horizontally. Meanwhile, Edson conducts a visual inspection of the gravity wheel from outside, while Alamin begins the pressurization of the gravity wheel from within the station.

AM3n8df.png

With their job done, the crew prepare to leave. Valentina will remain at the station for two more days, before  she leaves alone, leaving Alamin, Munbree, and Edson Kerman to man the station for the next 2 years. However, Cornerstone is complete!

V8k3Vud.png

dsKgUHT.png

With Valentina by herself, she begins to plot her return to the KSC. I left at an inopportune time, and I had to make a costly plane change maneuver so I could reach the KSC. This is because of Cornerstone's inclination, and it's made all my Merlin reentries hard to plan. It's hit-and-miss as to whether the KSC will be in the right place at the right time. Most of the time however, I do need to make a plane change maneuver.

p9A8mrj.png

3RrdDBZ.png

yKWU8jv.png
After a rather steep reentry, Valentina succesfully lands Merlin, marking 5 successful launches.

Edited by DunaManiac

A lot actually.
Continuing with this:

But I felt I needed to make a lander and rover for this. Found the perfect source mod:
52755056047_10ac46f233_o.png
52756003775_0aace04a9a_o.png
52756135050_8a9c9681de_o.png
The lander is on KerbalX. I'm trying to get the rover on there too but sadly the site is having its twice daily mood swings.

Also slowly working on my (many) versions of Ares I. 1 Point to spot the difference (besides the colors). 2 points for why that difference exists.
52756135590_96890072d6_o.png
52755726481_dc2a3c0040_o.png

Just blowing up some starwars replicas that i rebuilt in chibi scale.

fmZLjIx.png

The engine pods are 0.6m, so this is literally microscopic in comparison to most of my creations.

WUV6CIE.png

My somewhat terrible TIE replicas, about as cramped as i can get a ship to be, between the fuel tanks, engines, weapons, and kerbal being in that central pod, its really stuffed (and does just like in SW, more or less explode violently when anything hits the middle spherical pod directly.  While it was never a part i thought much of before, the fan shrouds we got in the DLC are insanely useful if you want to make a decent looking sphere without too many seams.

mWTcWJJ.png

Ofc the real reason why i made them in this scale is so dat they'd fit into some of my larger capital ship hangar bays, since trying to build this to a scale dat looks good using the stock cockpits is near impossible, so i had to make my own cockpits and well i think it turned out really neat especially when the fighters are all sittin nicely inside their battlecarrier.

sOdMwts.png

kOgBmYj.png

tSfU9G3.png

yy4iW2l.png

madq1qL.png

Well they sure explode nicely.  Especially like how the N1 was split in half (and then got ganged up on by the partially damaged TIE and the other fully functional one, shortly after the damaged 1 gets slaughtered by the 2nd N1.  KCS mod FTW, real time combat.  The firework based cannons are buggy and have a tendency to be very inaccurate, but its fun to see 2 fighters slugging it out and aiming/flying around on their own without me having to manually do it all...

First satellite in current career save

jQrFn5e.png
Launch from pad, newly upgraded to Level 2 to prepare for future missions

c8bKjNh.png
Turning south-southwest

53OnLQg.png
Stage sep, second stage ignition

yGwHZMP.png
SECO 1, solar arrays and antennas deploy

pVb4uYC.png
Low polar orbit circularization because I wanted to gather some science before going to contracted orbit

juy0xgD.png
flying over the southern ice shelf (anybody have a better name?)

BaMa9pu.png
After a few orbits, second stage engine start-3 to raise Ap until propellant exhaustion

fTOuQIt.png
Payload separation

yOwyDeM.png
Raising Ap to around 9000 km

YnS8lyA.png

One of the nice things about Universal Storage is that the angled payload shrouds (1.25-1.5 Soyuz, 0.625-1.25 nosecap, 1.25-1.875, 1.5-1.875, 1.875-2.5 Gemini) have integrated solar panels that unlock before standalone OX-STAT panels, allowing for earlier fielding of solar-powered satellites

Edited by OrdinaryKerman

First, I'm constantly impressed by what you folks are designing and building.  So much amazing work!

Me?  I've added even more mods that I've never had before and built my first rig for rover deployment (and recovery)!  I got lucky: I designed this to have a short drop when the ship is sitting on her engine bells and the magnetic ports were strong enough to grab it back!  Worked like a peach on Mun and Minmus!  So many exclamation points!  I may never build a mecha but I bet I'll be able to get another few years out of this game, easily.

pNZUSTG.gif

Oh nooooo !!!

The technologicly backstanding kerbal nation "chocolate-haters-coalition" (CHC) has found out, that the KSC has new snacks in stock. So they now try to strike the KSC and the sweets depot.... They don't really know how to fly fast, but the bring loads of sugar-solving bombs to the KSC with this stolen vehicle. Oh noooo! Here is a quick screenshot of the green baron. Armed to the teeth! Unfortunately the CHC made a treaty with the Kerbal-Dentist-Union... Oh noooo !!!

(Vehicle is stock, except the bombs from BDA+ and some weapons pack)

xHFTxAZ.png

Edited by Rakete

Didn't do this in KSP, but it is related to KSP. I found a picture of a spaghettified kerbal, and decided to just draw it to give it a more animated look. The result: :o

PoEbRgD.jpeg

Obviously, it's not the best, but it was fun to make. Also, I am overly proud of this, so I made it my profile picture. :D

Spoiler

Original for reference:

L1VbIvQ.jpeg

... It wasn't safe yet.

Spoiler

The Mun could still alter the asteroid's orbit, so a series of maneuvers were planed, firstly to lower its orbit so that it would become stable, than to change its plane to an equatorial one, and then to obtain a 500 kilometers circular orbit. This of course could not be achieved on "just a couple burns", and it had to be carefully choreographed to also consider the thermal needs of the drilling and refinement components.

The first objective didn't took long to achieve, after a couple of burns the asteroid's apoapsis was lowered enough so that it would never be altered by the mun, then the plane changes started. Since the S.A.R.C.O. spacecraft was fully operational again, it was decided that plane changes were to be executed by both spacecraft, so as to reduce the structural stresses suffered when changing orientation.

uc?id=1OThA25shDdKR_unu-p4w_jtkR449KaGJ

Finally the equatorial orbit was achieved, but ... it wasn't safe yet.

The asteroid crossed the orbits of several other spacecraft, the KST space telescope, and the KSS Alpha space station among others, in fact, near passes had started to occur already, KSS Alpha was once already within 70km; and as further burns were conducted the close approaches became more regular, all of these had to be taken into account when planning.

Then the closest ever approach was calculated, less than 800 meters from KSS Alpha, and it would happen in a handful of orbits. The crews on both spacecraft were warned, the station's crew were ready to perform an avoidance burn if required, but the S.A.R.C.O.P.H.A.G.U.S. mission "should" be able to prevent it, but it required forcing the ISRU equipment. Fingers were crossed. Thankfully the craft was able to handle it.

Just a couple of burns later the asteroid had reached its final orbit, but there was work still to be done. The S.A.R.C.O. craft was detached from the asteroid, it had become stuck on the dark side, therefore its solar panels were ineffective, it was reoriented. Afterwards, a spacewalk was needed to "unsafe" the crew command Module, struts were removed, even a small container was removed from the command module securing it to the asteroid itself, some tools were left behind there, as these were no longer required, but future visitors might find them useful. Finally, after more than 28 days in space, the crew was going home.

uc?id=1EkXx5h6FOzaI6r3qOsZ2QL0i5cr9OaDw

Back on the United Nations of Kerbin, the voice of the space program's critics drowned in the applause when Werner (once back again called to present the status of the mission) announced that Kerbalkind had been able to acquire a 3rd natural satellite, and placed it in a stable orbit.

uc?id=1HzURJHa7Kcn8troWceKsPn_gz6jIztEQ

Back at KSC Gene Kerman sipped its 4th cup of coffee, it was a long night, his workstation already littered with several snacks; but it wasn't the overdose of caffeine that made him nervous. At long last contact with the capsule was reestablished after the heated plasma dissipated, but they had missed the designated splash zone by nearly a hundred kilometers, they were landing near the KSC, but instead of the warm water it would be the cold highlands ... "at least they missed the mountains" he thought.

uc?id=1k20M-Aq6Ik06qU1xpZzEQ8BK8T654N6-