What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

Figured I start anew after the last update. Just sent a probe to the mün. Next mission: Jebediah's münshot.

Sg26TCl.jpg

First docking in Kerbin orbit:

Some people can't get used to the whole EVA-ing without being secured to the mothership

exXSKSr.jpg

Jeb's having a blast though

LfDAvbL.jpg

I conducted orbital operations with my Münar station tonight. First I undocked my three-seat nuke-powered exploration craft/tug that I had used to move the station into its proper orbit (long story; tldr version: retrograde orbits are BAD when everything else you're flying are in prograde orbits). After undocking James and Seeson did a small separation burn with the RCS and prepared to depart for Minmus. I then switched focus back to the station and prepped to decouple my kethane driller rig for landing back on a new deposit below. I topped off the lander fuel and oxidizer from the station supply, made sure all the kethane had been transferred to the station's refinery module, then undocked and separated gently with RCS.

After this, I shifted focus back to my nuke exploration craft; James and Seeson executed their transfer burn perfectly! Soon they will be mapping kethane deposits around Minmus rather than pushing spacestations into wildly different orbits. So far the evening was going swimmingly. I shifted focus back to my now orbiting kethan drill rig. Just as soon as the physics kicked in, I was attacked by the infamous Kraken for the first time ever ... I watched, dumbfounded, amused and amazed as my otherwise-perfeclty intact driller lander shed all four of its landing legs - they each separated as if pushed away by Kerbal magic, tumbling end over end and drifing away, like petals from a flower, or seeds from a dandelion. So my fully-fueled rig, now sans landing legs and empty of kethane, was sitting in a low Münar orbit with 3,700+ m/s of delta-V available. Only one thing to do ... It's now been repurposed and, as the newly-renamed "Jool-1", it will to my first ever visitor to that planet in a few days. Unless the Kraken bites it again.

Finally got a Barn Burner into orbit tonight; first time since 0.20. Still concerned since this is a craft I was regularly able to get into orbit in pre-0.21. Not thrilled that I had to use the payload's RCS to complete orbital entry and less enthused that it made it to the target - Typhon 1a - with only a third of the RCS fuel I sent it up with. Next time, I might make sure the target's "in phase" first. She's sitting with about 6000 m/s of delta-V at the moment; probably going to have to send up another Burner before she'll go anywhere.

No further progress on the Castle Romeo tonight. Tried to send up the LEM portion as "Tartarus 8"; naturally it didn't make orbit. Irritated.

Started an Apocalypse 7 run to Mun just for fun. Got a Hellrider with a pair of busted back wheels 4 klicks from the NAM and I figured I'd go out and fix the damn thing.

Orbited (and kethane mapped) Gilly. The last object to orbit in the kerbal system. Laythe and Vall will be the last to map for Kethane. Mapping Jool??

Dropping a rover on nearly all will be possible do to ship design. Lost rover to Moho do to lack of fuel. Bob may be stuck in the Jool system until a refueling ship can be sent. So much for KSP Ver.2.02. Learned a lot. Took much too much time.. - BJ Quest.

RU5iObE.png

Rocket ship design for mapping kethane and dropping a rover after mapping.

Finished mapping Laythe and Vall. Attempted rover landing on Jool. It survived for a short time. Jool mappable at 250,000k but will be tight tolerances. Jool does strange things to crafts if on (if that is the way to say it) the surface. Anyway all have been visited. Orbit around equator and poles (except Jool). Mapped all for kethane (except Jool) and will be able to place a rover on most if enough fuel in decent. 8-14-2013 : BJ Quest. PS: Bob Kerman still orbiting Bop and short on fuel.

Edited by BJ Quest
Finished mapping (except Jool)

I created my first aircraft. While playing with it, I decided to see how fast I could go. I topped out at 1669mps. If the website I found is accurate, that stands at Mach 4.905. I am going to see if I can squeak any faster after a few modifications.

I took this just after I flamed out before I took the screen shot. I had enough fuel to go around the world 1 1/2 times.

screenshot102.png

Docked two of my new Eve class 3-kerbal spacecraft in low Kerbin orbit. Was pleased to have finally figured out docking using just the navball rather than relying on the Lazor docking camera.

Updated the Basic Interplanetary double paragraphs. Replaced the seven LV-909 with a single LV-N. For this design, that doubled the range of the upper asparagus which became drop tanks for the single LV-N. It does extend the burn time to up to six times what was needed for the LV-909 cluster. No big deal when you are in orbit

While it is normally not worth using that heavy engine in place of the lighter ones, there are times when the fuel efficiency of the heavy engine will provide a better overall performance.

Original design

OaauQp2.jpg

Modified Design

BvO4i7W.jpg

In orbit around Poi

ozVG5hX.jpg

Finally got my mini station into orbit (attempt 14? 15?) Have finally given up on the mainsail engine, and found nukes to hard to stage without clattering into everything else. Station has the habitation can and the cupola module, and EVAs put a kerbal in each (and also tore off one of my larger solar panels due to over enthusiastic manoeuvring).

sent my first rover, a kethane refinery, to the Mun!

*snip*

but i didnt conected the converter to the fuel tanks so its kinda useless :P

al least i proved i can land a big rover! (at least big for me :wink:)

I can see you are using KAS, could use the detatchable nodes to connect the two. Though depending on how many winches you have it could require a second rover...

Today i made this in preparation for a colonization mission.

it's still fragile and was only tested with 1.5t. Needs more work

*snip*

Cool looking, I assume the boom is a piston? Also keep in mind that different gravity can affect how well your crane preforms. Just because it is stable lifting 15 tons on Kerbin doesn't mean it wont tip on say Duna.

Exactly. That was my issue on Minmus. It was a 20 ton rover capable of lifting a lot on Kerbin... Had to add 20t on weights only (the KAS hooks are 1t each! Great for adding weight to balance things). Now is the Minmus rover 46 tons and quite stable.

One word: Infrastructure.

kKhZeGb.png

That's Aldsby standing under the heavy kethane rover, which is used to collect from a deposit around 3km away. Structures in the background are used to dig up ore and convert it to parts for cheap Minmus launches --- fully loaded, the large spherical tank will weigh ~120 tons.