What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

You're welcome. :) That's pretty impressive, nonetheless!

Today I had one too many beers and realized I would be having another, so I sidelined my Grand Tour for the night and decided what my campaign save really needed was a ROCKET SHIP. Kommitz' engines are beautiful.

bqphv4H.jpg

Yes, they sure are. I find myself using them all the time just ... because!

Also, your rocket ship looks like something out of a Heinlein juvenile - I love it.

Last night I designed and launched a mining rig to Minimus. Being the genius that I am at night, I was being weight conscious of the mining rig since the Kethane tanks get pretty heavy. Figuring that Minimus has so little gravity that things practically float away unpowered, and that nuclear engines are pretty efficient, I didn't include any refining mechanism on the miner itself, instead relying solely on the large one my station is carrying (I also redesigned my small station for orbital mining, and it works like a dream). Now, even though the miner is not super heavy, it did use nearly half the fuel reserves on the trip to Minimus, and landing, and when I launched for the station 100km up, I found out that I had a little fuel to spare, as long as all I wanted to do was intercept the station. I was woefully short on the fuel needed to actually match speed, as I realized past the point of no return.

This morning, I decided to try again from my quick save right after managing to establish a very near intercept, and decided that rather than try to land the miner when it came back down like I had been thinking about, I would use the orbital refinery as a rescue pursuit craft. It worked fairly well, the refinery is a capable ship in it's own right, though I have all the RCS ports mounted at angles where I had space, and that bugged me when I tried to dock it. Fortunately, part of the station redesign was adding a senior port on the front, intended to hold fuel tanks for refueling. The miner is intended to dock with a normal port on the front, but it has a senior port on the back, mostly incase I ever needed to tow fuel tanks with it. Brought the miner in from about 250m out, turned it around right at the end and backed up into the station. I had to leave off here, but the refinery is currently working to replenish all fuel reserves for both craft, and given the 6000 units of Kethane on board, I should have a bit to spare.

I will of course have to send this miner home and requisition an updated design to include a smaller refinery for personal use (also, some freaking landing lights). I'm pretty sure this can land on Kerbin safely.

uheo.png

Edited by Randox

Here is one of those happy little accidents with an intrecept with Minmus:

EFD4AB96C61B804144C944F978ACDBA842B0857A

This is the resualt of the landing tempt: http://cloud-4.steampowered.com/ugc/1099165290087476869/3DD1C88B3F3062BF31D2C11FF3B76CA556CB887C/

As you can see. Nothing broke off and even had enough fuel to return to Kerbin. Should have done some litho braking. That would have saved some fuel for a better orbit around Kerbin for pick up.

Jeb is so happy as usual. They where all smiling before. Bad time to take the picture: http://cloud-2.steampowered.com/ugc/1099165290087513910/0210AE10D113B4637E3689D842677EF92CE9894E/

I've been dabbling in Kethane lately. I've put together a mining lander that will extract and convert the Kethane to liquid fuel, then lift the fuel up to Munar orbit to a fueling station. Today I put the basic fuel 'depot' into Munar parking orbit.

Here it is docked with my larger lander:

B9B1B8796A704B0092C25FE29ECE818AD00F4F42

No fuel in it yet, just docked to try out the design. This week I'll get the miner over to the Mun and start work on getting some fuel up to the depot. I'm still pretty new to stations, so I'll probably end up revisiting the design.

My Storax Anacostia 7 mission for the Duna Apollo-style Challenge is underway again. The three musketeers are in orbit of Duna and sci-sats have been deployed to Ike and Duna orbit (managed to get the probe cores on backwards though; that was a bite in the butt). I am concerned about the mission's return trip to Kerbin, though; I burned more than the optimal from the transfer stage in both the trans-Dunar burn and the correction burn. I had to make two attempts at the transfer burn (my computer spontaneously shut down in the middle of the first attempt, which sucks because that one was supposed to be a 45-day transfer). I had to pull a third burn when I entered Duna's SOI to get close enough for aerocapture and in the end the transfer stage ran out of gas. Had to finish the burn for aerocapture with the service module engine - the one I'd intended to use to get home. Long story short, I drained the main fuel tank of the ascent stage of the lander into the service module stage. Now, I do have the same size tank for the descent stage and the ascent stage does have some auxiliary tanks attached, so I think a landing is still in the cards, but I'll have to make doubly sure to get all the fuel drained back into the ascent stage before I take off and that all the remaining fuel makes it back into the service module. Otherwise, it's going to be a pretty depressing mission report...

Lander's got four chutes - not nearly enough to slow down for landing on Duna without at least some thrust. Fortunately, I packed enough descent stage fuel to land discounting any chutes, so there's that at least.

Redesigned the mini probe lander. Much more stable when landed by parachutes using the narrow radicals. Three for Eve and Laythe, six for Duna.

sDKDcFH.jpg

The KSP Minotaur V on its way to Mun to study dust clouds.

vkTNJjz.jpg

KSP Minotaur V in low orbit around Mun with 60% monoprop left. Weight 0,67 tons

a5CAvc1.jpg

Wow, my first post and all... Howdy!

I docked for the very first time today! I just had to say it. :D I can't think of any game before that gave me that kind of a sense of accomplishment. My wife thinks I'm crazy. hehe

All hail Jeb.