What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

B9 is fun. :) Designed the Adelie class spaceplane. After some tuning, took off, rendezvoused with an LKO station for refueling (mostly to test if dockability) then decided that with all this fuel, I might as well do a Mun flyby so I did a quick orbit around the Mun (used a free return trajectory) and then aero-braked back to air-breathing altitudes, and flew about a quarter of the way around Kerbin to land on the runway. Design success!

l9L0ulp.jpg

Finally successfully got a Thunderbolt Very Heavy 7 into orbit, though it looks like the centerline engine is going to be less than useless - it overheats far too easily. Good thing I installed a cutoff. Essentially did do a self-launch of the thing, using the outboard main tanks to feed the boosters enough fuel to get to an orbital apoapsis. Cut the boosters and let the main engines do the orbital insertion burn.

Next step: refuel the thing.

Finally successfully got a Thunderbolt Very Heavy 7 into orbit, though it looks like the centerline engine is going to be less than useless - it overheats far too easily. Good thing I installed a cutoff. Essentially did do a self-launch of the thing, using the outboard main tanks to feed the boosters enough fuel to get to an orbital apoapsis. Cut the boosters and let the main engines do the orbital insertion burn.

Next step: refuel the thing.

Orange tank, mainsail? Stick the mainsail on a silver tank and stick that to the orange tank. No overheat.

I sent 3 ships towards the general vicinity of where Dres will be when they get there. GEEZ, Dres has an itsy bitsy teeny weeny yellow polkadot SOI. I expect I'll need more than 1 mid-course correction to hit it. I just hope I'll have at least a few hours between arriving ships or things will get hectic.

Did a test run to see if this could get off Eve, already know I need more chutes just to make sure I have an even softer landing:

A05D2353675251332288677C48F5863D22A2E95A

Found out how Engineer Redux works. Needless to say I re-did the game from an quick save that I had backed up. Did not feel like starting a colony on Eve.

Either way. Back to the drawing board. Need more boosters or better boosters to lift that type of CoM and about 5 tons(?) of excess weight. Did Try aerospikes. Just that they overheat faster then the ones I have on in the picture and it has been a pain to try to turn them off with one button, annoying as heck since when selecting one engine it selects a few others that are not supposed to be selected in addition to what was suppose to be selected.

Last night (early this morning) performed my first Apollo-style mission without any problems (even though I forgot to fill the LM's RCS tanks before separating from the CM). It was as authentic as I could make it without actually making the craft look exactly like the real deal; the mission included the launch, the detachment of the CM/SM from the LM and redocking with it, the transfer, the separation of the LM from the CM, a textbook descent and landing, the return to the CM using only the ascent phase of the LM, and finally a safe return to Kerbin.

The only thing that deviated from the actual Apollo missions was that I put the vehicle into a highly eccentric orbit around the Mun (a major design flaw... wouldn't have had enough delta-v to get home if I had circularized). So I sent the LM down at periapsis and waited for the CM to complete its [very long] revolution and then rendezvoused with it when it came back to its periapsis, and immediately set about burning toward munar retrograde so I could take advantage of the Oberth effect. Made it into Kerbin's atmosphere with about 12 L of fuel left.

All in all, a successful mission and it was very fun and rewarding to do it Apollo-style.

Found out Spherical Fuel Tanks had been optimised, and I could have the full set for the same amount of memory as I currently used for just the Extraplanetary Launchpad ones.

Perfect for a low part count utility station.

First thing I did:

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Did one full orbit before landing.

Landing this thing with just rockets reminded me of my first Mun landings, as I had too much TWR to make a smooth landing, and things broke off.

Not very practical, but this is the first time I've landed something on Kerbin with just rockets. And it looks like the Omnidroid.

Edited by Tw1

Sent a Cordelia-class ship to Minmus to verify function and practice for small moon landings further from Kerbin.

I've found it's a good idea to use unmanned landers to check out potentinal landing sites for the manned landing. Manned lander is single stage so that all in the crew can get to land in it.

ksp-130916-cordelia-06.jpg

I upgraded from .18 to the current version after not playing for a few months, and made it my mission to plant a flag on every orbital body, and get home (Optional objective: Do it without killing any crew). First things first, I decided to try my hand at a Mun landing. Designing the ship was cake; it had plenty of fuel to get me to the surface, let me plant a flag, and take me home. The outer 6 tanks drain into the central tank, so it still has a full tank after the outer 6 fall away. (Also, landing struts don't seem to want to work right, and there are duplicates of parts... Any idea why?)

Jn86L2h.jpg

My flight mechanics are a bit antiquated, and pretty inefficient. I blasted out to the Mun's orbit in a single maneuver, then circularized once I got out there (leaving the periapsis a bit short of the Mun's orbit so I can catch it). Fast forward a few weeks, and I've caught up to the Mun. Time to land this sucker. And I did! Only, I was coming down on the dark side of the Mun, and couldn't see the ground... and crashed (who's surprised?). Now, the crew capsule is intact, the engine and fuel tank are 20 meters away, and I'm stuck.

Usually, this is game over for me, I reset, and try again. But not this time. This time, I can have multiple flights. This time, I'm bringing them home the right way.

So I design a new ship, with moar boosters (to keep more fuel in the lander stage), and no crew. To control it, I stuck a little girder on top of the parachute, then plopped a probe on it.

yDxcOag.jpg

First flight, the launch went great. I kick the apoapsis out to 11,100,000m, I set the circularize maneuver, and cued the warp. I get to the burn point, and the ship won't throttle up. Or turn. I'm outta juice. Damn. I'm coming Jeb! As soon as I add some solar panels...

So, I've added some solar panels, launch, fly out, and find that, once again, I'm dead in space. You need juice to extend the solar cells.... Reset!

Take 3. I launch, *extend the solar cells*, fly out, circularize, get captured by the Mun, and accidentally decouple my engine as I'm trying to land. Cut!

Take 4. Same flight as above, only this time make it down to the surface, and go splat 1.8km from the capsule.

Takes 5 and 6 result in similar splatterage, but I'm getting closer! I think Bill's starting to get hungry...

Take 7. I fly out, get within 300m of the ship, and hit the surface with ~4m/s sideways velocity. I lose two lander legs, and the ship topples on its side, pointing downhill. Damnit, Rese--- Wait, you want to do what? Launch it sideways?! That's just crazy enough to work! Lets do it!!

I fly Bill, Bob and Jeb over to the now sideways rescue ship, strap them in, and throttle up. It's a bit hairy at first, but I point myself at the horizon and burn baby burn! I leave the Mun doing 1000m/s and see Kerbin rise. Home sweet home. Only, when I get captured by Kerbin and the orbit map changes, I find that I'm outta fuel, I'm gonna miss the planet, its atmosphere, and fly out to space. So, I *ahem* cheat a little bit. I load the save just after Jeb climbed in the rescue capsule, and try again. This time, I just burn straight up, kill the Mun's orbital velocity, and fall nearly straight back to Kerbin.

This plan works. Mostly. My orbit's intersecting Kerbin's, everything's looking good, and I hit the warp. I see myself coming down way too fast and start to back out of warp. Too late. I brace for the inevitable impact, but it never comes. Somehow, I warp *through* Kerbin, and wind up heading back out on my orbit. Strange. But hey, I'm still alive. So I come down again, and this time, I pull out of warp earlier, and burn the last of my fuel to slow down a bit. I decouple the engine as I hit the atmosphere at 3,000m/s, and see shock heating for the first time! I fall through the atmosphere for quite a ways, slowing down and pop the chute at 1,000m altitude and 100m/s, and splash down somewhere in the ocean. Doesn't matter where, Bill, Bob, and Jeb are home. They survived over a month on the Mun, they can survive another few days in the ocean as they send a boat.

Not a big feat compared to some of the other things I see on here, but it was a big deal for me :)

I decided to revamp my program, and only utilize Kerbals where their presence is needed for exploration and scientific research. In other words, my two tugs with a two-kerbal crew each were replaced by robotugs. Of course I had to send up two shuttle services to get the crews of the obsolete tugs back, and deorbiting the (non-remote controlled) old tugs took a little bit of work.

Then I split up my space station in two parts: a scientific station in a higher orbit, and the remainder as a fuel station in low orbit. The fuel station will eventually be completely replaced by something simpler. I just can't stand 1fps while docking (although getting rid of the scientific part cleared up a lot already).

Now I discovered some design failures in my robotugs (moar SAS for easier maneuvring, and RCS'es that seemed to be placed right in the VAB are visually misaligned in space, resulting in wildly spinning whenever using the RCS truster for rotating. The first replacement is already in orbit and passed tests. So that's for the nights this week...

@Whackjob: No, not orange tank/mainsail, orange tank/NERVA. Ship's already in orbit so I can't fix it at this point.

Though I can see where the same fix would apply - something for the Mk2, right?

Had a mostly successful refueling mission for the Thunderbolt Very Heavy 7; I sent up a Barn Burner Superheavy to offload its supply of bipropellant. Only real problem was that the Very Heavy 7 needed more fuel than a single Burner could provide, that and I haven't figured out how Navyfish's docking indicator mod works with multi-port docking yet - I sent up an adapter module so that the Very Heavy 7 (which uses a quad of ports) would be compatible with the Barn Burner (which uses a single Senior port) and got the adapter module docked on the T-bolt's end via just one port. That's acceptable for a refueling op but if I ever need to fly to another world with the adapter attached it could be an issue.

Today, I actually managed to land on a runway. Not beside it. On it. +1 KSP skill.

kMvyIDQ.png

Managed to roll Shtuule into one of the hangars. There, it will join the lizards and bugs sheltering from the forecast rain, until it is time to use it again.

My kerbals have forgot to take their helmets of.

Hb3rFl9.jpg

Then we watched a sunrise.

pzPeXfH.png

I put a refueling station in Munar orbit then sent a cut down version of my usual lander to the Mun. So my lander went, entered Munar orbit and docked with my refueling station and filled up its tanks before heading down to the Mun thinking I'd refuel again before heading home. However I ended up botching the landing and using far too much fuel and didn't have enough to make orbit again so Jeb and Co ended up as a crater :(

Today I sent Jebediah to Duna... and back! I am so proud of him I'm about to burst. This has been a long time dream. :cool:

The whole mission took 397 days. He looks thrilled to be home. I may want to time my launch windows better the next time.