What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

Today I rescued Jeb and Bill from having been stranded on a very early attempt at a Space Station around Kerbin, they'd been up there for years with no way back.

So I sent them a lander on my first serious attempt at an orbital rendezvous. . . having read some tutorials!

It all went pretty well. . . aligned my orbits nicely and the closest intercept I got was 400m or so, RCS'ed to within 50m or so and matched speed as best I could.

No docking . . . Jeb and Bill had to EVA it over which gave me something of a crash course in EVA controls. . . first time really doing that too!

After a few attempts I got them both over, and burned down to a landing less than 10km from KSP!

Jeb is available for missions again!

Made my best rendezvous ever in Munar orbit. Didn't quite get the launch window right from the surface so my lander ended up orbiting some way behind my command module. Switched to the command module, made one burn to put me on an intercept with the lander, a second burn to correct my inclination and put me on a nice 1.4 km closest approach. Made rendezvous within a single orbit and docked shortly after with plenty of fuel left to get me home.

Probably never do it again but it felt great, just making those two tiny correction burns - about 10m/s delta-v for the pair of them I think - and winding up that close to target.

I launched a satellite with intent of putting it in Munar orbit. Suddenly as I prepared to burn retrograde to attain orbit, I realized my satellite had run out of power, the solar panels were ever so slightly misorientated. It was slingshotted out of Kerbin's SOI and into interplanetary space. I eventually regained power and used my remaining fuel to make the orbit intersect the orbit of Duna and Eve before running out of fuel. If I'm lucky, it'll interact with their moons and the planets themselves and get contained in a stable orbit. At worst case, it gets flung off into even DEEPER space.

just got the first two pieces of my interplanetary ship helix stallion docked and launched the first half of the two part craft storage module in to orbit. It will eventually visit every planet to drop a hab module with ether a plane or a rover depending on the planet. Here is the load out if you care.

moho. powered hab module+two rovers

Eve. parachute hab module+kethplane and rover ( going to be hard because the plane has top weight the same as the rover.)

Duna. powered/parachute hab module+two rovers

dres. powered hab

Jool. parachute prob.

laythe. powerd/parachute hab+ plane and rover.

This was a few days back, but:

I delivered a three piece satellite network to Minmus.

g06dNXB.jpg

Set them up so they are nice and spread out, covering at least half of it at one time.

I then landed The Shtuule (that vessel) on Minmus.

Due to miscalulation, I didn't quite land where planed, so used the RCS and landing gear to drive to a better spot for sight seeing.

yRVz407.png

Then, they returned to Kerbin safely. Well, except for Camberry Kerman, he died in a jetpack accident.

But, he's known for turning up again, and meeting fellow crewmates at the space center.

Death may be his preferred method of returning home.

I also made this:

85JXQXR.png

A prototype kite!

That will be all for a while, I'm going to take a break from Kerbals, for a few weeks.

Edited by Tw1

Made it to Mun, detached my lander, landed, got out, got back in, got back into orbit, now mothership / probe is not visible on the orbit map, or from the Space Center. What have I done wrong? Does there need to be a command element on the mother ship for it to remain in existence?

Made it to Mun, detached my lander, landed, got out, got back in, got back into orbit, now mothership / probe is not visible on the orbit map, or from the Space Center. What have I done wrong? Does there need to be a command element on the mother ship for it to remain in existence?

If you dont leave it manned or with an on board computer it will default to "debris" when you seperate from it. Goto your map and hover your mouse at the top and highlight debris. You should be able to find it there.

Over the last 5 days I have been trying the challenge to get an ssto to land on the mun and back on stock parts without docking for re fuel. I have made several contraptions that normally start of small and efficient but end up huge. I also tried making a c150 inspired cargo spaceplane...i even managed to get it into orbit. The first two pictures are of an earlier desing which had to be scrapped due to the cockpit randomly falling off and the wings would just drop off before the plane even started moving.

Unfortunatley my landing was so slightly off. I was about 5 meters to short and almost landed before the runway (which has a slight lip) this meant i had to engage engines to gain some altitude so i could land again. Unfortunatley i came back to hard and...well the pictures show the results.

http://imgur.com/a/o9ZN0

Javascript is disabled. View full album
Edited by vetrox

Thanks for the tips! I think I will try to man it. I'll stick an MK2 cockpit on there just aft of my docking seal. Strangely, the probe does not appear as debris either. Also, I just horribly witnessed infront of my very eyes, my rescue probe mother-ship instantly disappear as I undocked from IT. I just had a brainstorm. Persistent debris is set to zero in my settings ....

I cannot see the pic you might try some alternate http settings or whatever. I am a big fan of SSTO. Check out Mutant Hero on the Spaceport. Might be some sub assemblies on those two you can find a use for.

Waited patiently for the forums to get back. But, while it waas down. I hadtested my Kerbal Mass Driver out on Kerbin. Found out it could propel a Kerbal almost 3 km up. Then Tested it out on the Mün. Due to the direction it was facing. I had to waste the poor Kerbals RCS Jet pack to get a stable orbit around the Mün I wanted. Don't remeber the orbit altitued right now. Then tested an improved version on Minmus:

804AB82B1F9DC300C7A23858FA01BDC86500B0DC

Needless to say. Again. I still need to work on how to angle the launcher batter. Good news is. I Don't Have to worry about using the Jetpack to get a stable orbit. Bad news. It is enough to make the Kerbal aquire a Solar orbit. Yeah. Enough force to leave Kerbin SOI. Then Tried to land on Duna. First try almost was able to do iit on a power landing alone. Still broke. Second attempt. I found out I had the chutes to low which caused the main sail to face downwards with no chance to correct it. Now I have fixed that issue I hope. Will see when I feel like playing KSP again.

Got all the pieces for my Duna airbase on the ground and running. A Kethane drill with a Hitchhiker to serve as the main base, a fuel bowser rover that can also refine Kethane into fuel, a Kethane-electric hybrid airplane with enough wing to fly reasonably well on Duna. and 2 Kerbals to use it all.

8MULgTO.jpg

Today Bob and Jeb took my newly designed manned rover out for a spin around KSP.

Rather pleased with it, looks nice and works well. My first rover for moving Kerbals around . . . all the others to date have had no seats.

Also built delivery system than can drop two of them at a time. . . two have joined the stack of stuff bound for Laythe.

BobJebRover_zps320e2ef6.jpg

Worked on finishing up for the Out of Control reddit challenge. Here is a teaser shot:

screenshot812.png

These 2 tanks were "discarded" after brining components up. They're basically identical except I already disconnected the poodle engine from one via sr docking port. Got another one that needs to be "disposed" of so I may bring it over to these 2 and see what I can do with it. Unfortunately the one that just came up only has one docking port, where the poodle engine is, the other end is a decoupler. I should have just used docking ports...oh well. I may try to make it a habit to use only docking ports on upper stages, and boosters that aren't expected to fall back down of their own accord.

Of course it's on my reddit save game so it's not entirely important but it does give good docking practice, not having rcs lol

Edited by Sma