What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

Had to do my first rendezvous to rescue Bill Kerman.

Congrats on the rendezvous! Once you learn that skill, there's a lot you can a lot more.

DHqYRlg.png

Bob's look of shear terror is quite merited today.

Poor Bob....

He survived! Kerbals can hold their breath for suborbital hops.

DQ3FNU5.png

He's so hot right now. :P

I then did some experiments with New KAS.The cable looks much better than the last version.

hEBZ1Vf.png

And landed that guy on the Mun with the big rocket pack. He looked so kerbalishly pleased.

IStVOb6.png

Designed a one-way Tylo lander on Saturday for another member of the forums. Got word yesterday that it worked as advertised so I decided to build one my own self. Had to burn a little of the payload's fuel to acheive orbit; looking back over the numbers today, I see why - I put it on one of Temstar's Zenith Nova boosters and the payload mass was 117 tonnes (max payload capacity of the Nova is 110, so I should've used a Supernova instead). Still, the numbers say the transfer stage has more than enough juice to reach Tylo, so I'll probably be heading that way come the next transfer window. My first foray to the Jool system. Right now the craft is called the Trinitite Tylo 7 - another case of not enough time to come up with a better (read: cooler and more ominous-sounding) name.

Since it looks like I'll be headed to Jool in the near future, I'm considering a project to launch satellites to the other bodies in the Kerbin system that I have yet to visit (Dres, Eeloo and the other Joolian moons). I might even make it a joint mission to launch Hellhound rovers to those bodies. I'll keep y'all posted on that.

Been considering updates to the Flaming Turd 7 (also known as the Mohole 7) - another 10,000 m/s delta-V craft. I've noted that it handles like a total piece of crap when the tanks are full, so the name's appropriate at least (this with three working lander cans attached to boot). No RCS aboard and she's supposed to dock with an Orthus 7 space bike, and make a round trip to Moho. I'm concerned that she doesn't have enough delta-V, main reason for a redesign. Plus I need to test my Unified SSTO Rocket theory.

Well, not today, but last few days, I picked up the game again and managed a few things:

- landed a rover and small base on the mun in a joint landing. worked fairly well, though i trashed two solar panels after i messed up the detaching of the skycrane. i shouldve put a probe core on it, but oh well. base is operational anyways

- made my first interplanetary flight with a rather small craft. put a satellite into a nice orbit around duna, learned how cool nuclear stages are. didnt even have to use large parts, only the medium-sized ones for launcher and transfer stage. very satisfying.

- decided to one-up myself and fly to duna again, with pretty much the same launcher, just an extra helping of nuclear fuel and a small rover in a heat shield + parachute deployment setup. had a nice little shell out of two adapters. everything went well at first, until i experienced just how thin duna's atmosphere actually is. came in supersonic at about 5 km height, so jettisoned the heatshield and in a panic, deployed the chute. when it fully deployed, the rover violently separated from the upper half of the shell and pancaked at 1000m/sec onto duna. i still have a moral victory though, since thanks to the chute, the upper shell had a 4.1m/sec descent and gently landed on duna. so I landed /something/ on another planet at least. I will retry next time, this time having fitted the deployment shell with retro engines and drag chutes

Poked s'more at the design of my Mun base hub-and-habitat modules design. Rather than faff about with rovers on the surface, I think I'm going to try the daring alternative of assembling the whole thing in Mun orbit (with the aid of the new KAS struts) and skycraning it down to the surface.

First, though, I'm going to send my new and improved Mun Bus to deliver a load of parts (ground pylons and pipe ends, to connect All The Things). Mounted it on a booster, resisting the urge to do a cheaty cheaty thing I saw in someone else's design - clip my nuke engines up through their fuel tanks, which would allow me to have a craft whose CG doesn't change at all as it burns fuel.

Began a long-term exploration and colonization project of the entire system, which so far is entitled "Operation Outland" until I can come up with something that sounds more destructive. Goals of the project are to put a satellite and a modular space station around every body in the Kerbol system and a pair of Hellhounds on the surface of every world (except Jool, of course). A longer-term project will be to put habitats on planetary surfaces, and then finally to crew them on a semi-permanent basis.

So I kicked this mess off this evening (after spending a good chunk of the day in the design process - by hand, mind you; KER's still giving me fits) by launching a science satellite to orbit around Minmus. After then taking the time to make the necessary re-designs, I launched a space station core to a successful orbit around Mun, and then landed the kicker stage on the Mun's surface without making anything 'splode (it would've been more remarkable had it landed upright, given that it is most definitely NOT designed to land and has an exceptionally very narrow base on the bottom.

yesterday, i installed Kerbal Alarm Clock for the first time. and that was a somewhat bad idea (for my free-time anyways)

several hours later i had probes and rovers pretty everywhere in the whole kerbol system :D. i launched several probes at the same time, finetuned the arrival times with KAC, sometimes with several aerobrakes less than 15mins apart.

i think i never was THIS productive before ;)

Ok, it was yesterday, but a huge achievement for someone so new to the game. I landed on Mun and Minmus. Unmanned rover, though, I'm not confident enough to send Kerbals yet. It was a huge achievement because I crashed first ten probes sent to Mun and was thinking of giving up. Then I learned the wonders of killing horizontal velocity!

Yesterday I played around with some mods. I got a lot of them working together and behaving nicely.

Magic Smoke Industries Robotics stuff is amazing. Robodyne cargo bays are lovely. B9 is beautiful. Aviation lights rock. Partscatalog is great. KW seems fun. Kerbpaint is cool but only stock parts can be painted, which is a shame. Sure I could add parts by 'doing stuff', but not sure I could actually 'do stuff' successfully and AIES seems nice too.

Now to build some good things that look nice and go places. Mods definitely make this game cooler and funner and betterererererer.

Played with orbiting refueling cans. (The big orange one.) This design got into orbit with 1/2 of the fuel left in the core stage.

CVnE8D2.jpg

Adding a short stage on top of the core gave just enough fuel to reach 100 by 140k Mun orbit.

pg7ZOax.jpg

Currently, the fuel can appears well balance for thrusters for docking maneuvers with SAS off.

After some initial testing and tinkering yesterday I finally got to serious work with the Interstellar mod's research system. I've had a station in orbit for a while that's little more than a pod and a crew tank for lack of inspiration with what to do with it. Now it has a purpose, renamed from KSS Icarus to Thomas Dolby Science Station (because, SCIENCE!), it will serve as the jumping off point for everything to do with the mod.

Today I sent up the first (expandable) research module with 3 Science Labs with space and power generation for 6 more once upgraded. It's kind of a beast, because with the way research works in the mod Kerbal-manned labs will eventually be deprecated so it had to be designed to be jettisoned and returned (safely) to Kerbin. Perhaps today or tomorrow I'll send up 2 more just like it. The next project will be to add an orbital tug capable of moving the whole thing to the appropriate orbit for antimatter collection.

Finished the Com Sat IV mission today. I would have finished it yesterday but in classic Kerbal fashion I forgot to open the solar panels when I got to orbit and ran out of electricity. I then decided to launch a manned mission to manually deploy the panels but buggered that up by staging one too many times and dropping all my RCS off in orbit. Thinking I could just hit f9 to reload the last auto save I soon found out that only loads the last quick save even if the quick save is older than the last auto save.... so yesterday really never happened. Today went much better and everything went fine.

OE3JPew.png

Dilsen Kerman poses in front of Skurj I Model Wd Hey For Cockalorum!, freshly landed on Laythe and driven to a first rendezvous with the Call It A Holy Fight.

Based on these two flights, Laythe feels easier to fly on than Kerbin, and the rolling dunes are forgiving for landing on. I've lost count of the number of spaceplanes I've crashed on Kerbin recently.

The disposable (I abandoned it during Laythe aerobrake at 19km) transfer vessel which was attached to the HFC wasn't very good, it only just managed to get here. I've got another plane in transit on an even creakier transfer ship, really must work on that.

The disposable (I abandoned it during Laythe aerobrake at 19km) transfer vessel which was attached to the HFC wasn't very good, it only just managed to get here. I've got another plane in transit on an even creakier transfer ship, really must work on that.

How massive is that craft and where does the transfer stage attach, and what do you mean by "it wasn't very good"? I'm sitting here bored and that's the sort of challenge I relish; I'd gladly assist in a design.

Even better the second time!

zMQ1aQE.png

Apparently a swastika is this but inverted, so pretend I took the screenshot from the opposite side. This is the same orbiter from the last time this happened, but it's had quite a few changes made to it. This time it turned out this shape because I accidentally didn't add all of the solar panels to the action group I created...