What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

Took more reference pictures for a super-sick, entirely CG video I'm doing for KSP, and sent off a refueling tank that will refuel my fair-sized Jool-system explorer, which sadly lacks the delta-V to do any worthwhile research or return home.

I am playing with the mission controller mod, after completing a LKO mission I figure I would use my remaining fuel to complete a mun orbit and back mission. It was going well but at the end I was off 60dv for the return, when I thought all was lost the mun decided to tug me closer to kerbin after a few passes. I love the mun; everybody talks about minmus but the mun is like my guiding light, it gives me reason to explore, and this time around helped me directly. I think I will switch my flag to the one with the kerbin and mun to honor it.

Edited by Guest

I like the chaika recreation; Is it made out of reinforced stalintanium like the warthunder one?

The Chaika is made of stalinwood, from the finest trees in mother russia, seriously, that thing is OP.

Anyways, my ISS blew up, but I had a quick save to revert to.

rPc1ez3.png?1

Set up a space program Kerbals in Space.

The first orbiter became a Staputnik with two stacked HH-625 A minitanks, a Rocomax 48-7S engine and solar panels of 1.2Tons launch weight. At fuel burnout, 0.3 tons are in a 72 x 473K orbit. It is a SSTO design.

7fbzSnW.jpg

Adding a KMX mini SRB booster allowed this design to slingshot past Mun into a solar orbit. Weight 2.54 tons. To solar orbit via slingshot 0.33 tons.

d7yFB1B.jpg

Using a BACC solid fuel booster, non vectoring, 0.34 tons placed in low Mun orbit. However, performance is not ideal. The SRB has too much acceleration and is non vectoring.

tljoIig.jpg

The final design is much more efficient at under 10 tons launch. It uses a six meter tank and the LV-45 liquid engine. It places a probe in orbit around Mun at 0.6 t with enough fuel that it could return to Kerbal.

BTW, the SAS ring is not needed for launch but you will need some thrust to maneuver for orbital insertion. For return, a battery pack and parachute are added.

2fsLBXF.jpg

Nova Punch Mods are used along with stock parts.

Edited by SRV Ron

Landed on the Mun for the first time without Mechjeb (finally weened off of it). I came in at the worst angle but landed extremely slowly; dark side. I ended up on an incline though and slid at 0.2ms for quite sometime before finally stopping. Planted my flag and walked around and felt extremely proud. But I accidentally killed Jeb after I hit a creator peak hard after using my thruster (extremely dark). =/

Didn't take pics but I reverted back since I didn't want Jeb to die.

After an expedition to minmus went south(the encounter was iliterally south of minmus)i, I managed to bring every crew member back un harmed.

Only in KSP can you use real components for uses they were never designed for. Pod is a Mir Core module from the soviet pack.

60SInWj]

Preparing for aerobraking.Peri is about 20 km

60SInWj.png

aerobraking.

wx91HR2.png

Suicide Burn to slow down safely.

DZfTBrv.png

Landed Safely.

lLDPkiD.png

More aerobraking pics.

7g9c42m.png

Edited by DarthVader

I finally got my refueling/rescue mission to Moho. In style.

Roughly 1 game-year ago I stranded Jeb, Bob, and Bill with NO fuel at all, in orbit around Moho. Seriously, I used the fuel that was supposed to get them back to Kerbin just getting close, and I used the fuel from the lander to get them into orbit. I splurged a little and used the very last of the fuel (I had already ditched the landing legs to eke out the last of my delta V) getting them in a fairly circular orbit. The one thing I'd done right in that mission was I gave their capsule a clamp-o-tron senior on the floor.

So, the rescue craft brought a new lander, but with no pod. It also didn't bring RCS so docking with the module was... interesting. But I got it. Then I landed, and Jeb planted the flag.

Then they went back into space, decoupled the module from the lander, connected the lander to the main ship to dump its fuel (I learned my lesson about fuel!), then I kicked that to the curb and connected the module to the return craft, again without RCS. I do not like docking without RCS.

Of course, my caution with the fuel was unfounded, and a year and 10 days after liftoff Jeb, Bill, and Bob splashed down about a time zone and a half east of KSC. It was glorious.

I began assembling my Minmus Essentials Package in Kerbin Orbit. It'll be composed of three parts: The Station for refueling and such, A craft for dropping off Modules and transporting Kerbals, and A Drive stage to put the package into Minmus Orbit.

I made this:

Javascript is disabled. View full album

I love the look of the design, and it was made without any cheats, but getting it to orbit is hard. I was able to achieve an apoapsis of 70 km but wasn't able to circularize outside of the atmosphere. I am using TouhouTorpedo's Mk3 fuselage that carries the LF/O mix as well as FAR.