What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

I didn't trust those energy-hogging antennas, that's what I did. Get me data back on the ground (or in the water) and leave the guys yattering away on the radio with crew reports! I needed a viable way to return plenty of data from all round the system, so, I built myself a science drop-pod and really had my eyes opened as to the best way to do an orbital geo-survey:

<iframe class="imgur-album" src="http://imgur.com/a/xATEt/embed" frameborder="0" height="550" width="100%"></iframe>

Each module can only hold one experiment's set of results, so when you're doing a decent tour of the system and want to get the highest value research back home for all the science points, multiple modules is the only way to go - I wish I'd added another capsule for all the higher-value EVA reports before I'd finished too but I just transmitted the crew stuff! Full tour of science above Kerbin, round the Mun and just filled the last container as I re-entered (missed the high-alt. atmospheric test as I focused on the launch).

P.S.: I don't show the splashdown, 'cos, well - I was rather focused on keeping it all level (it does tip a bit, but I could detach the cockpit at the last moment if needed) anyhoo, it came down straight at 4.7m/s nice & survivable; the only reason it wasn't over land is it's quite early in the tech tree so minimal control going on anyway - plus I WAS coming in rather hot from a Mun gravity assist/flyby off a Kerbin Polar orbit.

Edited by Tilion

Did my first Mun landing using career mode in KSP v0.22. I made some mistakes which almost made the mission end tragically. First, I kept "over-maneuvering", thus unnecessarily draining my batteries, and when I landed back in Kerbin I only had 0.6 of battery power left (from 50). Second, I bounced on landing on the Mun, almost toppled the lander, because I forgot to cut off engine. But it righted up at the last moment and I'm finally on the Mun, and opened up the Goo pod and sampled the Munar "atmosphere", getting some since done. Finally, Jeb's moment. Got down the ladder, did the first Munar regolith sampling and got lots of science points for that. Eventually, I collected 218 science points for the entire mission. I know that's not a big accomplishment, but that's the thing, it FEELS big, because now you really have to strive hard to earn the points. Really enjoying KSP now all over again.

Edited by rodion_herrera

Downloaded 0.22 but did not install it; I figure I'll wait a day or two to see if there are going to be any bugfixes. Anxious to see if the wiki's been updated for the new parts yet (guessing it hasn't yet; that usually takes a while).

Downloaded and tried out the Tardis Spaceport mod. I like it, it's pretty neat, but I can't figure out how to enter the Time Vortex or where all the bowtie parts are. Guess that's what I get for not being Gallifreyan.

Did two missions for the Constellation Program Challenge - docked a crew module to Mir robotically (had to move the docking pier) and shot an unmanned crew module around the Mun on a free return trajectory and high-gee re-entry course. Settled on the name for the lander; now I have to build the thing.

Sent Jeb on the space program's first Mun mission. Second flight of the whole program. Jeb lands into pitch darkness onto a crater slope, goes out to collect samples, plants a flag, stumbles on the way back, falls, bumps into the lander and topples it. Rights it back up but nearly runs out of battery. Has no fuel to properly return to Kerbin, but is loaded with gooey science and soil samples. Establishes a 10x11km orbit around the Mun, inclined 45 degrees. Too much delta-V required to return, can't get out and push.

Bill to the rescue.

screenshot359.png

Miraculously, running out of fuel at the last second, Bill succeeds, but remains on a slightly higher orbit so that Jeb can safely land first.

screenshot364.png

Bill is going to have to stay up there for a day or so more, but he's on an aerobraking trajectory, so he'll return.

360 science for Jeb and Bill's troubles. Yay! :D

Got to the Mun and back with a landing! Yay for fuel lines and solar panels. Lots of solar panels, since I managed to land on several and slide down a 45 degree slope before getting upright. Made around 350 science with that flight! Loving this update.

Now, I have all I need to make basic jets for better Kerbin exploration!

Like everyone else I've been playing and enjoying the .22 update. Got rid of mechjeb (which incidentaly gets rid of all delta v readouts)

I've suprised myself with some of the designs. One is stranded on the moon with jeb but the mk2 design gets to the mun and back (as well as minmus and back)

Its nice to be re visiting the stuff i dont do much in sandbox. I havent been to minmus for months!

However all the science was to save up for spaceplanes! Now i've unlocked the turbojet I'm doing my first ever trip around kerbin in a plane. I'm halfway round...not sure if i will make it home though. I wish there was some way to disable re-entry effects when just flying normally. Maybe change them to the white effect you get when you come in really fast just after the re entry effect.

The new patch really does make you come up with some innovative designs. I always used to put solar panels on my stuff. Only now do i realise how far you can get with just batteries! I hope currency is in the next patch!

Restructered my challenge, because changes to the scenery around the space centre and island airfield meant that some things parked there needed to be relocated, and loads of craft had to be fixed because anything fitted with landing legs was now sitting on it's tail.

I did profitable SCIENCE! today. Much more than I thought to be able, really xD

A Mun landing and back for 443 science, a Minmus landing and back for 617 science, and a whooping 1128 science for a combined flyby to Duna and Ike, landed finally on Kerbin with only around 5 liquid fuel left xD

I seriously would have sweared to be incapable to do it without the full parts list.

After unlocking part of the tree with suborbital experiments, I was able to build a proper orbiter. It had enough resources for a Mun orbit and return.

The unlocked tree.

WsSujGV.jpg

Orbiter Jeb;

zUCLXGU.jpg

Setting up the Mun burn

RXTg2ae.jpg

Mun orbit

cfd0Euk.jpg

The return aerobraking burn

9N4OC3i.jpg

Landed on Kerban

X3Gvg4F.jpg

RSGJGh3.jpg

Well did a Mün and back with a live Kerbal. This was the end resault:

9A978E821C83E6B4CD1DF78D52728D3618ECEE78

Luckly I had 2 goo pods both for the same exparament. One of which was destroyed due to ship not landing and staying on the legs. Flipped down on its side regardless. Need the SAS aspossabily making it wider. But, at least I gained 500+ science points from it. :cool: Yes. I know I should have screen shot it too.

Sent Jeb on the space program's first Mun mission. Second flight of the whole program. Jeb lands into pitch darkness onto a crater slope, goes out to collect samples, plants a flag, stumbles on the way back, falls, bumps into the lander and topples it. Rights it back up but nearly runs out of battery. Has no fuel to properly return to Kerbin, but is loaded with gooey science and soil samples. Establishes a 10x11km orbit around the Mun, inclined 45 degrees. Too much delta-V required to return, can't get out and push.

Bill to the rescue.

Miraculously, running out of fuel at the last second, Bill succeeds, but remains on a slightly higher orbit so that Jeb can safely land first.

Bill is going to have to stay up there for a day or so more, but he's on an aerobraking trajectory, so he'll return.

360 science for Jeb and Bill's troubles. Yay! :D

I had the exact same sort of trouble (and solution) on my first career Mun mission. I'd designed something that could land and do science, and get back off... but didn't have enough oomph to return, and was stuck in such a low orbit that the "get out and push" method wasn't feasible.

Bumping it into a Munar escape with a big huge claw made of the early girder blocks and then maneuvering it home... OUCH. But I was determined to (1) get that science and (2) get Jeb back...

A friend of mine took great delight in building craft that contained multiple TARDIS command pods...then pummelling them with Whack-a-Kerbal objects until they 'sploded. You guessed it: his name is "The Master".

Actually, I've always suspected he was part Dalek...

I learned that you don't need multiple legs on a lander...

fxx6HqC.png

It honestly stayed that way... What can I say, I've been away from KSP for about three months now (needed a break), and decided to get back into it with a full-on stock install. Trying the career mode out currently. I tend to treat this game much like I treat DayZ; it's fantastic, but don't overdo it or you end up bored and/or frustrated. Anyway, also forgot antennae on that ship, but made it back with a reasonable research total...

keGwRrL.png

Two more missions down for the Constellation Program Challenge - pretty sure I screwed both of them up if you want to get technical about it.

Helped some folks get into orbit who hadn't progressed very far on the tech tree. Still haven't upgraded to 0.22 yet; probably will wait one more day before taking the plunge.