What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

Sent Jeb to the Mun for the first time in 0.22. Unlocked all but one of the 90-cost science technologies. Will be going for Mk1 Lander Cans in the near future.

Attempted to build a lower Tech substitute for Temstar's Supernova booster. Would've worked had I not had parts clipping through one another. The third stage separation was pretty spectacular.

Worked on adding descriptions to all the designs I brought over from 0.21. I've got quite a bit of a collection of craft at this point.

Plan to build the Munar/Dunar habitat for the Constellation Challenge before I go to bed.

Landed on Mun once again, this is the 3rd time in total, 2nd successful landing, 1st time on max settings. I think I have the hang of this. Maybe I should push the envelope and try for Minmus. I also really need to make my own flag.

While the transfer is slightly more difficult (not overly difficult though) Minmus is easier to land on than the Mun.

Hmm, I finally landed a successful rescue mission on Mün however, with the rescue craft 10km away from Jeb in a 3km across sub-crater of the Farside Crater, and 6 km from Bill, Bill made it most of the way using his reaction pack with a couple of tumbles as the crater sloped up quicker than I realized. However, Jeb, confronted with a jet pack that would have run dry about 3 or 4 km from the rescue craft elected to exceed safe speeds rather than walk for 4km. Unfortunately I lost him in an 53m/s impact against the sub crater rim. So close to surviving too. However I know he would have wanted Bill and Bob to continue on with the science mission, and they are busy sampling and testing various regions of the Münar surface. If all goes well they should return with enough science to unlock a few more scientific instruments and maybe the NERVA engine to improve the efficiency of the scientific work. So far I sent 3 tankers flying to Münar orbit to support Bill and Bob in their mission. Though I think after one more landing they should return to Kerbin and cash in their science.

Today I orchestrated a Moho mission. It was total disaster. I missed launch window. Then I screwed up the ejection maneuver. For a correction I set up even less optimal maneuver. When I got to Moho the ship did not have enough dv to brake. Then I was at least trying to save the crew with remaining fuel. When I was about set for Eve slingshot I went to tracking station to remove debris and accidentally terminated the ship, too.

Ok, I already shared this in the steam thread of the same name. I just need to share it here as well...

I have to tell you the epic tale of...

GILKIN'S WILD RIDE!

For a long time I've wanted to get to Laythe. Yet Jool was a harsh mistress who never let me quite get there. My lack of astrophyical skill and a set of disasters normally beset my attempts, leaving several probes and kerbals in lonely orbits around Jool.

Then came the BREAKBIRD and the brave Gilkin Kerman. :cool:

1024x575.resizedimage

Now, the BREAKBIRD is of unique construction... It's built to break apart.

1024x575.resizedimage

Upon breaking up it drops its rover to the ground under it, where a parachute deploys and lands it safley to the ground. Needless to say, this means that the ship is rather... un-solid in construction.

I decided to take it to Laythe.

9C9EDEA260E00989AF33390D5E34656D9E9803A5

The BREAKBIRD assembly took seven flights. The Bird itself, the pusher assembly, four nuclear engines with fuel and a refueling, structural enhancement barge.

She launched with great fanfare, had a sedate route out-system and was forced to burn for 20 minutes at one point to get the rendezvous with Jool.

C301C3EB4CE8FD3CE8861F5F6543959DF945ED29

Then the fun started.

While the aerobraking was successful, a few parts were shimmied loose during the manuever... unimportant things like.... half of the BREAKBIRD's struts.

Gilkin climbed out to inspect the damage and was a little worried.

30E5F304FD3B20954535BC263C15CEAD9E7D220A

Gilkin steadied himself and pressed forward, watching the fuel gauge drain as it tried to correct the orbit to intersect with Laythe.

DCFB2CB88A32E579920942106E50A1D7F6AFA865

Then there was no fuel. The orbit was still 90 degrees lateral from Laythe's and several hundred kilometers distant from even a brief intersect. Any normaly Kerbal would have given up.... but not Gilkin.

Gilkin burned every last bit of RCS fuel to create an intersect. He didn't care that the odds of hitting Laythe were 3,720 to 1. He had a mission and he was gleeping-glosh going to finish that mission.

The fuel spent, Gilkin waited. He spent weeks watching Jool flash over his head, subsisting on tiny crumbs that had fallen between the cracks of his command chair.

Then it happened.

1B3B089216689E2C9571C6B757698D11A65DBF2F

Laythe came to his rescue. She shined like a beacon, cutting into the path of the BREAKBIRD at just the right speed to toss him into the atmosphere. Gilkin cheered and pumped his fist at XAC command. They'd said he was a fool to keep going, yet here he was. He climbed out of his cockpit and into the rover seat, hoping that the remains of BREAKBIRD's structure would protect him during reentry.

5DA7B18EF9BABC6B644949F8CA1AE7935CD04E2E

But this was not the end.

Turns out those missing struts were pretty important.

(Captured this part on twitch, worth a look just to see the thing shake: http://www.twitch.tv/xacktar/c/3130123 )

Half of the top wing was flapping loose as he came down. Gilkin wrestled with the controls, trying to find a piece of land, any land to break her up over. Unfortunately, his trajectory had brought him down in the dead center of one the oceans. He had a long way to fly and his ship was one bump from becoming the tiny pieces of shrapnel it had always meant to be.

Finally, Land.

401AA6E3BF0C0F3A1727396A18513BDE77E80CF1

Gilkin dove the plane, pulling her wobbly frame up at the last second, punching the decouplers and screaming as parts flew all around him.

Then all he heard was the alien wind buffering his suit.

DD3F16A188EE87C25291213C5878351E2585E3E0

Finally, Laythe.

I salute you, Gilkin Kerman. :cool:

EDIT: Almost forgot, this mission finished career mode for me. I unlocked the last node!

Edited by Xacktar

Today I (finally) successfully launched the Mun/Minmus probe lander V3. I've had a lot of trouble getting everything right, but in the end it all worked out nice.

It has 16 stages, 144 parts, a total of 8907 DeltaV (vacuum) and is capable of landing on the Mun or Minmus, do some science and deliver the results back to Kerbin. I'm playing in career mode so this was a totally new approach for me... normally I would have build a probe like this using 2.5m parts instead of 1.25.

The grey 2.5 meter tank with the radial Rockomax 24-77 engines is used as a "launching platform" on the Mun or Minmus and stays on the surface. The tiny capsule all the way on top delivers the science results back to Kerbin.

ft7k.png

Edited by Galileo Kerbonaut

I attempted my first ever kerbal recovery and return from the Mun... i managed to get my rescue ship to the mun, AND landed safely, just 3km away from my stranded kerbal.. but didn't have enough fuel to return, didn't notice i didn't have enough fuel until i'd run out.. the orbit i was left in, well, i put it on x1000 speed and within a week or so, it crashed back onto the mun :(

I brought my boys back from another trip to Mun.

KSP2013-10-2315-58-34-86sm_zps8f1fd2ed.jpg

However I came in too shallow and skipped off the atmosphere. Oops, sorry guys! Good thing I didn't ditch that stage!

KSP2013-10-2316-01-19-03sm_zps8a025973.jpg

Alright, one more attempt. Nice view though.

KSP2013-10-2316-04-10-76sm_zps7190efd4.jpg

I feel good about this one.

KSP2013-10-2316-06-57-12sm_zps818f0f81.jpg

Yep, we're good. Stage!

KSP2013-10-2316-07-40-49sm_zps34282189.jpg

Nailed it.

KSP2013-10-2316-07-55-76sm_zps9a49c13a.jpg

Next trip in sandbox will be my first attempt to Minmus.

Yestarday tested out this returnable rover:

777ABD3886BFCADD18246B3FF77564B6DFCDE0B9

Back wheels land a bit hard on Kerbin. But, with a Kerbal it is a minor problem since it will be used on Mün mainly and possabily Minmus. I thhough that if I could get a bit of free speed from the wheels I could boost off the Mün easier as well as not needing as much fuel to either get back or at least make orbit. Just need the last 2 science bits which means another manned Kerbal recon or two to the Mün to hopefully pick up enough points.

I decided to make a passenger plane for exploring Kerbin while I wait for my Duna and Dres launch window to open.

lwiy.jpg

Can comfortably seat 8 plus crew of 2. Range is about 2 hours flight time with max fuel at 3km alt.

I finally installed .22. Oh man, it was like the glory days of 0.15 for me all over again. The early progression from sub-orbital to orbital activity to a free-return Munshot was fun. This morning, I took Jeb to the Mun on the aptly named "Mun 1" rocket. Ub5pXaX.jpgegwRWgh.jpg

Unfortunately for everyone involved, when it was time to go home, Jeb jet-packed into the capsule at 15(!) m/s and knocked over the rocket!! After debating whether to fire the engines and belly-ride the upslope out of the crater and into orbit (which would have been AWESOME)...Mission Control realized there wasn't enough fuel to get home.

Don't worry, Jeb, we're coming to get you (and the SCIENCE!) Proceed with Rescue Mission! I took the original Mun lander, added drop tanks and engines to the descent stage, and added an upside down capsule as the cherry on top. My injection burn was poorly executed, so I had to do a 650 m/s correction burn in orbit to fly over the Mun 1 landing site. Rovan Kerbin was unfortunately unable to kill horizontal delta-V on landing after 15 attempts or so, so with only fumes in the tank, we aborted to orbit. Thank you ascent stage Sepratrons!!

A rough circularization that consumed the rest of the fuel at AP put Rovan in a 22x29 km orbit, and a quick name change meant that Kerbin's first space station was operational. It's likely to become a permanent operation, since I haven't gotten solar panels on the tech tree yet, and I used up all the available battery sending back my crew report and EVA findings.

Tomorrow, I'll go get Jeb. Maybe.

Edited by teebob21
tyops