What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

I took Jebediah on a grand tour of the Kerbin system in my Career game. Initially, I was testing out a possible rocket to Duna, when I discovered that I would have to cut into my rather unnecessarily large lander's fuel supply to get into a proper Kerbin orbit. I decided to try a flyby of the Mün, whose gravity put me within Minmus's plane of orbit. I did a small correction and did a flyby there too. I got several further encounters with the moons on my return; that trimmed down the orbit enough that I could aerobrake and land.

It was fun trying to collect the most valuable science, since I had to stage my solar panels and couldn't risk transmittting anything if I wanted to make it home. Unfortunately, I learned 7.6 m/s was too fast for a Science Jr. to not explode.

I got my Bill, Jeb, Bob, and Nednard (that name.. :huh: ) back from a science mission that landed on the Mun, Minmus, Duna, Ike, Vall, Bop, Pol, and Eeloo using a mothership and a small 3 Kerbal lander with ~5k m/s delta V that could do all the landings no sweat. Took me many more hours than I'd care to admit but it was worth it. I only managed around 4000-5000 science I think because I forgot thermometers and that sort of stuff ;.; Also, I forgot to collect a little bit of science along the way. I'm so close to maxing out the parts tree.

Best part is nobody died and Jeb got sent to my Mun base bright and early the next morning.

Some Pics:

screenshot245.png

This one below shows Jeb enjoying himself on Pol.

screenshot248.png

Also, found one of my favorite messages from the Crew Report system.

screenshot240.png

EDIT: it appears I may have catastrophically failed at posting images... i'll check on that. that's what I get for being new and not checking FAQs and stuff

Got it! Thanks Vanamonde for pointing out that I had to use the BBCode :)

Edited by Spence1012

I just started my first interplanetary travel to Duna, in the career game.

thump_8671955screenshot30.png

a little heavy ship, 140Tn at 80km. Because is my first attempt to go to another planet I made 3 different automatic probes to try to land on Duna and come back from the surface.

Jeb just got back from a successful 4 year mission to collect samples from Pol and Bop. Next time I need to properly plan the launch windows, I was just winging it and almost had enough fuel left for another stop.

i just launched a computer core space station that is currently mapping out ore and kethane deposits on kerbin when it's done i'll send a kethane collector and dock it with the station, then launch a big fuel module, then launch a big engine module for the station and set it on orbit of minmus, there she will map out kethane while i use the prevously collected to regenrate my fuel reseves on the station,once it's done mapping i'll launch an extractor again to refill kethane and try my luck with a transfer to Duna, that's it(hearing beeping sounds all the time)

Today I launched a Rocket Pod into Low Kerbin Orbit, got my Kerbal Space Station as well into 150km 90° orbit around Kerbin and tried to launch a shuttle. Failed, luckily I launched it with a computer core and lazors :)

Attempted a launch of my Piper Alpha 7 Duna lander, with the goal of meeting up with the Texas City 7 interplanetary transfer stage already in orbit. Insufficient delta-V to make orbit. Still trying to figure out what happened there.

Began a plan to replicate the Zenith booster series with the minimal amount of parts on the Tech Tree (proper asparagus doesn't become possible in career mode until you've unlocked Fuel Systems on the tech tree; I'm making the assumption that players will make a bee-line for it). Phase 1 of this plan is to replicate the amount of fuel in the tanks - I came up with a low-tech substitutes for the 2.5m fuel tanks, but hit a snag when it came to fuel flow between tanks (the root part of each tank is a decoupler, and fuel doesn't flow through decouplers). I'm thinking I may need a more direct approach. A full analysis of the Zenith series wouldn't hurt either.

Well, I got like 550 Science from Minmus today, not very much but I didn't do ANY science inbetween Kerbin and Minmus, so I was doing science only on Minmus, I tried to get all experiments down to 0.1 science value, although that's actually difficult and after half an hour of doing science I managed to get only Crew Reports, Mystery Goo Containments and Thermometer one down to 0.1 science Value. Thank God for Solar panels though otherwise I would run out of electricity. I also built my first Spaceplane capable of doing science that I'm going to use to do science on (hopefully) all Kerbin biomes, I'll try to get as much Science points as possible.

I'm still building my space station. Though I did do a test of a probe rover from Kerbin Orbit. Landed on the Northern ice cap and drove around a bit before I ran out of battery. Good thing I did that test before trying to drop yet another probe rover on Minmus. Something I learned: Just because you have plenty of solar panels and RTG's on the drop mechanism doesn't mean you have enough on the lander unit.

Landed the new probe of Career Mode on Minmus. One needs to keep the SAS on or the probe will start dancing on the lander legs.

grJWz24.jpg

FdzWGjm.jpg

Note, I used the booster to bring the probe down to under 1000 meters. By watching the retro grade marker, lateral thrusters were not needed. Touched probe down with plenty of RCS fuel left at under 1m / sec. The dual design made controlling the landing far easier then ever.

Edited by SRV Ron

Found out that one does not need Aerospikes or Jet engines to make a space place into space and that the small SRB helps compensate for lack of Turbo Jets, might even found a way to make them re-usable too. Getting an orbit or one with enough fuel to de-orbit I'm still working on:

25A746F56C1194E9D87963F458A51D65826E412F

Finally got my sandbox set up with all the mods and personal edits, then built this Duna tug and lander. Since I'm using life support now this is a full return craft designed to push a 25 ton payload to Duna and back, or about 40 tons of payload to be left at Duna. I'm hoping it works well enough to use as a standard round-trip craft. It carries a little under two years of life support for three Kerbals.

Gvo63Ub.jpg

Started career mode. Did a few flights.

Made a few changes to the career mode and restarted it since science I felt while perhaps right for a newcomer was too easy to come by for someone who had played before so I lowered how much was gained effectively cutting it in half.

Currently having a blast with the slower progression.

Got my Kerbal Station stocked with fuel and got the Kerbal to Munar shuttle docked and ready. The plan is to be able to use the shuttle to transport kerbals from this station to the future Mun Station. Haven't figured out what I'm going to build on the Mun, but I figured it can't hurt to get the logistics set up for the mission first.

KerbalSpaceStation1.png

When I started today.

KerbalSpaceStation4.png

Where I think I'll leave it for the night.

1A/1B large fuel pods/extended travel tug boats if needed.

2A Kerbal to Mun shuttle(capable of landing and returning to orbit).