What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

i saved jeff who had previously crashed on minmus but was still alive. Since i couldnt revert the flight and the alternative was to kill him, i sent an unmanned mission with a lander Landed near him, made in jump aboard and took him back to kerbin in one piece. Plus i got a lot of science for that.

I designed the craft that'll make up my latest attempt at establishing an Eve colony.

A nuclear-powered airship will be used for most of the exploration work.

H595q0R.jpg

It'll operate from a permanent colony on the surface.

hiWq47E.jpg

6T01G1c.jpg

A pair of Orion drive powered super-heavy freighters will be used to carry the materials there.

kiSPSqU.jpg

A crewed lander able to carry a three kerbal exploration rover weighting ~16t in total.

Y7vlajc.png

zoawtjk.png

A reliable and space-qualified CTV.

X20te5z.png

5g9hd4m.png

vjwF2Ke.png

A comms network built with SSTOs and lightweight lifters. (which also carried parachute landers packed with Science!â„¢)

7kwGLsv.png

NE4Cn1j.png

gVHxWex.png

A tested Duna SSTO ascent vehicle with more than enough Dv for the job.

8vIKYAa.png

A kethane extraction unit about to be cancelled.

3VwRIIU.png

Two completely new lifters built especially for this mission ("reliable")

RI5aRVt.png

JgEcTtT.png

Seven astronauts in heavy training, of which four will be selected for the mission.

vv7a41t.png

The Constellation/Mars Direct mission is taking shape. :D This is by far my most ambitious project, and I've been building it for over a month now. Hope everything goes as planned. I still have to build Kopernikus, but that's a piece of cake compared to the landers.

Sent an unmanned probe to Eve and landed it.

Uu5Yg1D.png

Sent the same probe to Moho, messed up the rendevouz and ran out of fuel. Had to transfer fuel from landerstage to interplanetary stage get an orbit around Moho.

7ZZdEKA.png

Wasnt able to land the probe :-( . Missed by approximately 10s thrust :-(

I was also reaping the benefits of RemoteTech! I began to put together my first career mode satellite constellation. The tech tree really makes it a challenge to build with the limited parts!

MoQssjF.png

The constellation will be six satellites strong. So far three are in their correct orbits.

iN9zcnK.png

Successfully tested my little modding attempt at giving unmanned probes a little something more to do by adding an experiment entry to a mapping scanner part. Took some nice "pictures" (are about as real as the surface samples, simple confirmation text) from the Mun and sent them back home for scientific evaluation.

As my long range probe did not have the long range dishes RT2 would need it to have (think first, launch ... ah, who am I kidding!), I quickly launched a ComSatProbe to "meet" half way and rescue the science opportunities - didnt quite work out ...

Patched together a small Kethane test rig to be shot to the south pole - RT2 once again wants me to launch more satellites or at least time my flight better with the one satellite in polar orbit I have.

Who ever tells me again, that modding is cheating and taking the easy route can ... :P

Returning to Mun and Minmus soon to unlock more tech secrets!

Sandbox game last night. Finally am up to 45 days before the next Duna window; put the Constellation Program mission's landers into Kerbin orbit and docked the cargo lander to the KRV. May try to shoot again for Duna tonight, depending on which game (career or sandbox) I choose to focus on.

Probes en-route to the other worlds in both games. I'm going to get those other SOI ribbons...

I can't give an exact mass for it, since the Flight Engineer mod crashes every time I try to connect it up

Click on it in the tracking station, then click on the little "i" button on the right edge of the screen. No mods needed for part count or mass.

[TABLE=width: 800]

<tbody>[TR]

[TD]Today (actually just after midnight), Kurb Burner A1 was remotely piloted out toward Valles Cicatrix to begin testing on their handling capabilities on Duna. Initially the throttle was mashed down, and the rover run flat-out, which resulted in lots of fun air time!

screenshot491.png

The trip is a long one, over 40km away from the research station. After it had crested the first rise beyond the station, the rover was presented with a long and treacherous-looking downhill slope, which deterred its remote pilot not at all, resulting in a new land speed record for the Kurb Burner model. 36.3m/s!

screenshot495.png

The pilot was only forced to relent in his doggedly-focused scramble for speed after the rover threatened to tumble badly out of control following a wild jump off of an unseen rise in the terrain.

screenshot499.png

After advancing 20-some kilometers, the vehicle was forced to halt to recharge. The research team were at a loss as to explain why this was necessary when none of the tests back at home had indicated the vehicle was in any way under-powered.

Since they were forced to halt anyway, the team took advantage of the opportunity to calibrate the ranging laser and capture a couple of images from the on-board cameras to send home.

screenshot505_edit.png

screenshot506_edit.png

And then somebody pointed out the pilot was still running with all four wheels powered (mission specs say two-wheel drive only to maintain power efficiency unless terrain requires otherwise). The vehicle was switched to 2WD mode, at which point it was discovered why there had been so much hesitation from mission kontrol over using these vehicles without a driver physically present at the rover's controls.

screenshot508.png

Around 30 minutes later, A1 finally reached the primary ridge bordering Valles Cicatrix, and began the long, arduous climb. Four wheel drive was definitely required here, but the team soon discovered that power was indeed a concern when the pedal had to be constantly floored just to keep gaining ground.

screenshot595.png

The test run was forced to pause in a precarious position to recharge.

screenshot593.png[/TD]

[/TR]

</tbody>[/TABLE]

I largely tried to make a VTOL plane again.

I have achieved the VTO bit quite a few times but the L bit has always been a challenge. This time I decided not to allow myslef landing wheels meaning its a decent vertical landing or fire and death!

There was A LOT of fire and death. I pulled of a good vertical landing a grand total of once:

BBDB310483C2D91D98DED5F6CDDA3B0CBF72FDE1

Edited by Bishop149

Decided to go back to career mode and do some work with my pit-stop station in Kerbin Orbit. Flew my space plane to it first to see how it is doing, not an SSTO though.

ZfCnlPy.jpg

Jeb taking a look at it, inspecting for damage.

iKJDnCH.jpg

Next I launched and docked a refuel attachment for the station. Had to move around the ship so that the tank could dock.

CyM7okc.jpg

As Jeb inspected the tank to make sure everything had gone smoothly he saw the Mun and had to stop to enjoy the view for a moment, planning a possible fly-by on his way out later after his nap.

AJ8czvd.jpg

What did I do today? Well, I helped Jeb fly to Laythe in his favorite SSTO spaceplane:

DSjLjlq.png

Don't get me wrong, he didn't fly straight there in one shot. He docked with my LKO space station, and topped off his tanks there.

a7sC84z.png

Then he flew to Jool, but barely had enough fuel to circularize within the SOI after I screwed up the insertion angle; he had to meet up with one of my mobile refineries near Pol or else he'd never have made it any further. Then he dropped down to Laythe orbit, and docked at a refinery there to top off his (still mostly full) tanks before landing:

yGayJ4T.png

The landing went fine, although I have to say, it is HARD keeping a plane level in Laythe's thin atmosphere while doing an unpowered glide. On the plus side, taking off was easy; that hill you can see in front of the plane acted as a ski jump.

Really did nothing but fiddle with mods, editing .21 parts, read up on things that were still unclear to me, discovered that the orbital photo experiment I came up with was already done somewhere else ... :P ... downloaded that mod instead for the part.

Messed with my satellites with the new insight I acquired here and tweaked the failed Kethane rig to not loose its uplink that easily next time.

Successfully landed my first full munbase!

The crew lander came in a few days later, and missed the base by about 8 km. Both crewmembers were forced to EVA over to it. An EVA malfuction (also known as the StickyKeys pop-up jumping onto my screen at the worst possible time) caused the lander's pilot and scheduled base commander, Jorzor Kerman, to be killed.

I hate it when kerbals die... I have a weird attraction to my little green creatures. I've haven't lost a kerbal before (ever since I started taking the game seriously, around 0.19 or so). You will never be forgotten, Jorzor.