What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

I got my first Duna intercept and managed to get on it's orbit.

KUE23fU.png

Landing, on the other hand...

*Several cutscenes of Duna 2 crashing on Duna's cold, harsh surface leaving only the Mk1-2 Command Pod unscratched begins to play*

I sent Jeb to the moon

<massive rocket pic snip>]

You made that rocket so big....how did it not blow up your computer?

And you used it to go to the Mun... you didn't use it for a full exploration of Jool's moons and back to Kerbin safe and sound with samples of each moon, you used it to go for the Mun?!

Edited by Commissioner Tadpole

I got my first Duna intercept and managed to get on it's orbit.

KUE23fU.png

Landing, on the other hand...

*Several cutscenes of Duna 2 crashing on Duna's cold, harsh surface leaving only the Mk1-2 Command Pod unscratched begins to play*

I am not sure by the pictures but you might want to throw a few chutes onto that one to aid in slowing you down. I would use the orange topped ones and the square one (sorry the names elude me right now). I would 2 of the orange and at least 8 of those square ones, but more is always handy. On that rover I landed on Duna today had 10 of the square ones and 4 orange tops, and that got down low enough to only need a few flashes of the engines at the end.

I am not sure by the pictures but you might want to throw a few chutes onto that one to aid in slowing you down. I would use the orange topped ones and the square one (sorry the names elude me right now). I would 2 of the orange and at least 8 of those square ones, but more is always handy. On that rover I landed on Duna today had 10 of the square ones and 4 orange tops, and that got down low enough to only need a few flashes of the engines at the end.

I have found myself wishing lately that the Mk25 drogue parachutes (the orange axial ones) were also available in radial flavors, like the blue Mk16-XL/Mk2-R...

Today, in my new career game since Bill blew up the universe in my last one, marked the program's first landing of a craft on the Mun, in the form of the unmanned Apollonius Alpha. Said probe promptly strip-mined the Munar Midlands of all thermometric and seismic data, as well as collecting abundant information on the behavior of goos and other various materials, before successfully returning to Kerbin. I think I'm finally getting the hang of this whole aerobraking thing.

Edited by Landwalker

Second half of the day I tried, unsuccessfully, to land Roller 2 on Mun. For some reason I keep getting into these deep craters and run out of fuel before I touch down, it is getting on my nerves too. I found it easier to land the one on Duna than to do the one on Mun, but I will not give up I shall try harder.

I went back in time today, and launched the Kerbal Trinity into High Kerbin Orbit. Ended up in something like a 1100km by 600km orbit before I brought them back. Two and a half hours later. Two and a half Real Hours later. No time-warp back in v0.10.0. (Or many of the other nifty features you devs have added since.)

20131129_ksp10_orbit.jpg

I then went to start work on a plugin/mod I've been contemplating, only to discover MonoDevelop on OS-X 10.9 won't run on non-administrator accounts without crashing/having issues. (And I don't do work on an admin account for various reasons.) I did eventually get it to run after starting it as said admin (to initialize and install all the bits and bobs it needs). Except that afterwards it still doesn't have access to any fonts on normal accounts.... Leading to square-box-ville. I'm sure I can resolve whatever gripes it has, but I'm too zonked to care at the moment. So Maybe I'll wait until later to do all that.

Edited by Cydonian Monk
Reasons. Tired.

I have found myself wishing lately that the Mk25 drogue parachutes (the orange axial ones) were also available in radial flavors, like the blue Mk16-XL/Mk2-R...

I believe Nova-Punch has such a thing.

I myself made Bill smile like Jeb, 1st time I've ever seen that. He thinks it's because I sent him to Gilly in a 1-man capsule and this was the 1s time he'd been able to stretch his legs in about 250 days (178 of which were spent in Kerbin orbit waiting on the window). But I think it's because he realized he was scoring about 2000 science on this mission.

5C2QqDx.jpg

It's fun to start a new career as a break from serious sandbox stuff ;)

Edited by Geschosskopf

You made that rocket so big....how did it not blow up your computer?

And you used it to go to the Mun... you didn't use it for a full exploration of Jool's moons and back to Kerbin safe and sound with samples of each moon, you used it to go for the Mun?!

I was building 1000t to LKO rocket. Cube lander was just a payload.

3-4 min delay to load rocket into pad.

Flying with the first stage was under 1 FPS, but its built stable so you can just let it fly

Part count of the launcher is round 2000 so no more part count left for grand tour ship.

What did I do today?

Well, first, I practiced launching my mobile kethane refineries into low orbit. I finally got tired of building custom launchers for each of my big designs, and just strapped my refinery (~300 tons) to my standard "Brick-21" SSTO booster, like so:

Hv7OpRZ.png

Sure, a ~5000-ton booster is overkill for a payload that small, but the thing has a part count of only ~300, so it's easier to fly than the small multi-stage boosters I'd used previously. Plus, it's a zero-debris design (other than the launch clamps left on the pad), since it safely de-orbits itself after delivering the payload. I've got two larger versions of the same basic design (the Brick-29 and Brick-37, named after the number of 3.75m rocket stacks used) for my bigger payloads, of course.

Then, once I used that refinery to refuel a couple spaceplanes in LKO, I flew one of them on a test flight to Minmus to practice landings and such with a bunch of new mod parts:

KqSa9Me.png

Test flights like this are really useful, since they let me figure out a number of issues I've already addressed in the next generation. The fact is, that plane is 33 tons, right on the limit of what a classical plane design can accomplish. So, minor tweaks can have a big payoff; once I fine-tune a few changes, it's back to Laythe with Jeb to see how much easier it is to land there with my newly added B9 parts.

Today, I performed save surgery. I frankensteined my long term sandbox game into a career mode game to do science.

At first, putting craft files in would stuff up the selection thing. But after extensive testing, I managed to get the important ones in.

I also went and added in technodes to all the mod parts I have that didn't have them yet.

So now I have the interesting situation where the tech tree is empty, yet I have two very well equipped bases on Mun and Minmus. Filling it out won't take long. :)

I tragically lost Caldin Kerman, my agency's best astronaut in career mode. He was on-board the Luna 1 to become the first kerbal to set foot on the Mun. He succeeded, but in doing do, left insufficient fuel to get back to Kerbin.

Caldin was then faced with a desperate decsion, wait until his air died out on the barren rock of the Mun or make himself as useful as possible? With aa heavy heart, he launched from the surface and skimmed the ground, hoping to have enough fuel to get home, but transmitting back every drip of science he could do. As the experiments yielded less and less science, the engines ran dry. But he still had fuel in his suit, didn't he? Thinking quickly, he turned the ship around to face retrograde, climbed out and pushed himself away from the doomed ship.

His body slammed into the side of a mountain at hundreds of metres/ second.

The only remains left are the flag and the three booster rockets and legs left at the landing site.

I have been testing out career mode. my next target for exploration and science gathering: MINMUS. The three-man mission, called project SPYDER, was meant to take 3 crew members and oodles of science equipment from the surface of Kerbin to the surface of Minmus and back, but it all went terribly wrong...

The launching, orbiting, and getting a Minmus encounter went better than expected. i was able to do all the orbital maneuvers with the final launch stage and still have fuel to spare. However, once i performed a circulization burn around Minmus, the launch stage ran out of fuel. When i tried to decouple it from the lander, a horrible glitch kicked in, and no matter how many times i rearranged the stages and pressed the spacebar, the decoupler failed to decouple the launch stage from the lander's engine.

I desperately poured all my fuel into the launch stage and attempted a landing, hoping that the force would knock the launch stage off. It did, but the decoupler stayed on, over the lander's engine, so there was no way to take off. Alas, after all the effort trying to avoid it, Bill, Bob, and Jeb were stuck on the cold blue moon.

but there was hope. I managed to stick together a rescue ship without the evil decoupler glitch, and i sent it to Minmus. I landed less than a kilometer from the failed lander, and jetpacked all the crew to the rescue ship. I lost all my science except for what i could scrounge form the rescue ship, but i got the crew home.

I sent a test rover to Eve to test a theory about my tug system, and got there without much trouble and load of fuel to spare. While my incoming orbit was not the greatest (I seemingly come in over the poles on all my planet SOI encounters ;.; ). I also decided I would try aero breaking to save more fuel getting into a stable orbit.....This did not work too well. I did a few maneuvers to get a stable orbit not realizing this was bad, needless to say the tug was lost. The rover though was fine as I unhooked the payload and got it down

mjs7.png

After a soft landing Roller took off to venture forth on the purple planet!

1s36.png

Soon after the journey was cut short though as ground clearance became an issue...

k5ky.png

Once I figure out how to get my encounter orbit low enough to do aero breaking I think my idea to leave the rover tug in orbit will be a great idea for later missions, but until then back to the drawing board.

Wanted to go to the christmas market, for beer and bratwurst, but derp. Got ill.

So I had some time for KSP today.

And I...

06BD45C3EE767FD814C7E3C6DB916442A6E2EE24

...discovered and named the Josef-Ollin-gorge with Dres Express 2...

16A56F2CBEF870B9FA2B450C85FB05FCE1D6A1E1

...achieved a new speed record...

E5A0E5B062C8AA5B49B56F66911EF50B66828A87

...with the beautiful F2 Taifun Ausf. 1.

Oh, and I also smashed Jool Express into Jool:

95829CBAC4C5F5563C0EF4468937AA3728BDDA53

Right now, I'm working on interplanetary transport ships that don't require orbital assembly. I think I found a good design, but it still needs testing. According to my nomenclature this design should be called Fert.-ITS/RB Ausf. 2-4/22 (o.B.T) but I think I will simply call it the "Österreich"(Austria)-class for obvious reasons :D.

Edited by Stahlwerk
[img] - tag was broken

Well reworked my rover and fixed it and drove it nearly 10km from it's landing site

iyku.png

A nice sunrise shot to make the event even better!

o6am.png

Edited by Liowen
I forgot what the difference was between launch and landing sites ><

I rendezvoused and docked two Kerbin launched craft over Laythe.....now I have to get my lander on the surface, pick up Jeb and crew and get them back into orbit to rendezvous and dock with the return module. If this mission is going to go pear shaped it's going to be in this next bit. I'm really worried the TWR on my lander isn't going to be enough to get it back into orbit.

I made three Kerbals set foot on Duna for the first time. It was really painful, but with the help of some IRC users I managed to overcome Mt. Doom(one of the main reasons I was failing to land) and land safely. The crew likely lacks enough fuel to return to Kerbin, but I plan on sending them a refueling module to refill their ship.

1024x768.resizedimage

Needed 1000 science to develop nanolatheing technology, to get back to building shiny bases. Time to go digging on the Mun.

6aCFEi8.png

One tiny little engine will push us there and back.

spIKTjp.png

Visiting two sites, and four geological environments, Kerrick brought home the science I needed, and more.

hFouG7E.png

Getting home was very close, had no fuel to use choosing a location. Fortunately water landing turned out not to be an issue.

dMUuXtq.png

What did cause a slight problem, was Kerrick's exit. He slipped and fell between to segments, splitting them apart. But fortunately, I was able to recover all the science from the various bits.

ph33jqt.png