What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

Had multiple failed attempts to send a rover to Duna today. One time during the Kerbin escape maneuver, the Mün got in the way. Other times the ship fell apart during launch as a result of physics warping to get into the Duna transfer window. And a couple times the rover just didn't survive the landing. But finally, I managed to land my little rover on the surface safely. It's not very stable, kinda top heavy. But it's there. Now, if only I can figure out where that damn face is. I thought I landed at the coordinates, but I don't see it.

Ike setting as we enter Duna's atmosphere.

screenshot55_zps87258306.png~original

Those landing struts are what saved the rover's wheels.

screenshot57_zpsf0ad014d.png~original

Designed a smart strut to provide electrical and docking capability to Halcyon Point. Did a test run to see if the converters would work (used save file editing to add a tiny amount of Kethane) and discovered that they didn't! Had to redesign (well, okay I only added a couple of fuel lines to solve the problem) and reattach to my station. Was a massive undertaking considering all the lag involved, but it worked!

S9zP5WV.png

I one up'd myself from earlier today. This time I sent a crew of 3 unfortunate and terrified souls on a one-way trip to Duna. On my deorbiting approach, I wasn't even sure I had enough fuel to land, let alone the possibility of getting home. Turns out, I was able to land, but there's no way on Kerbin that these guys are coming home :( Oh well, this is practice, as I'm on my underpowered MacBook Pro at the moment, for when I try this on my much more powerful PC at home (on vacation at the moment). Next stop, Eve. Probably another one-way trip. I need 3 volunteers!!! lol

A picturesque view of my ship, Duna, Ike and Kerbol.

screenshot59_zps2e240fd7.png~original

On the deck! My first ever Kerbal landing on another planet. I hope they brought enough snacks.

screenshot61_zps071e21b0.png~original

Started the Apocalypse challenge today. Put up a Keostationary hub (RT2), an orbital launch pad (Extra planetary Launchpad) and a dual purpose Kethane/Ore detector in Munar orbit.

All unmanned, BTW, now I need to start prepping for manned interplanatary travel. Which is going to be "fun", especially since TAC Life Support is installed. Although, I can spend the time putting together the beginnings of my starship. Whelp, off to go test a few things on a different save...

I spent four hours building and redesigning a rather large VTOL.

http://i.imgur.com/yNKeK75l.jpg

This one just reminded me of the old GoBots ship, I forgot the name of it, from the old tv show. For those that are too young the GoBots were like the ghetto Transformers of sorts.

Here is a picture of what I am talking about LOL

http://www.teamplayergaming.com/attachments/nc-17-public-discussion/4126d1360496943-just-howlin-gobots-toys_4814226.jpg.att

Looks like an Eagle from Space 1999 to me. Very cool! :cool:

space1999-5.jpg

Today Jeb returned from his second trip to Mun with lots of data from the East Farside crater. Meanwhile Bill took a jet over to the Island Runway and back to KSC. Jeb then had a very successful round trip to Minimus' Great Flats and Slopes biomes. Finally Bill experimented with a jet car. It was a busy day. :D

nDRdC4K.png

Fuel Depot Ke-01, a.k.a. Halcyon Point is now fully operational. Soon mission control will detach the bulb containing comms and electrical support and replace it with a larger, more robust array along with some accomodations for the crew (including a laboratory module and two habitats) Halcyon Point will double as a secondary command center in addition to KSC, and will serve as the orbital control hub for all my interplanetary operations. This is an exciting day for Munstak Industries! We will now entertain questions at this time. B]

Continuing my Munar X exploration program - sending landers to each Munar biome and returning the science to Kerbin (600+ per trip). I've hit three so far without issue, Munar landings are becoming routine for me.

With Nuke engines unlocked from the last mission, I wanted to see if they'd improve the efficiency of my lander. So, I pulled off the LV-909s and their attached accouterments. I played with the engine/fuel setup before deciding to just stick with what's worked. I re-assemble the engine nacelles and launch my fourth Munar X expedition. Everything goes to plan, until I start coming in for a landing. With orbital speed dropping to near 0, I press G to extend my legs. ...Wait, I don't see any- Oh crap. I forgot to add legs to the nacelles. I say, screw it, my last landing was under 2m/s, so we can do this. Unfortunately, my horizontal speed was a touch too high. I hit surface, and land "safely"... just the LV-909s disintegrated on impact. ...all four of them.

Okay, Revert, let's try this again. I make sure to add the legs, then I add a little more fuel to try and hit some of the more eccentric biomes. The extra weight took enough off my insertion delta-V that I had to circularize with my lander. That basically ate through the fuel I had planned for inclination change. I can still work with this, there are a couple biomes along the orbit I still haven't hit. I select one and come in for landing. This landing went fine (since I now have legs), and I perform the science. Bob re-boards and takes off for Kerbin. The flight back goes (mostly) to plan, save for overshooting KSC by a few hundred km, but I've done enough water landings that I know the lander will float. Under 10k, I pop the drogue as per usual, and wait for the vertical velocity to drop. Around 1km up, the drogue disappeared. ...Wait, what? I immediately pop my other four chutes to see if I can recover... nope, they rip away, too. With all my fuel burned off, I have no choice but to watch helplessly as Bob and the lander plummets into the ocean, destroying that precious science. :(

Moral of this story? When you have a working design... don't mess with it! :P

Due to budget cuts KSC was halted until further notice. Actually I am in the middle of moving and had to take down my gaming rig last night. So I am currently without KSP for a couple of days since my laptop is too underpowered to run it effectively.

Had a very unexpected event occur during my first manned trip to Eve. But I'll get to that in a second with a lead up story! First, here are 3 VERY happy Kerbals.

screenshot62_zps62e33cad.png~original

A couple picturesque scenes as we approach Eve.

screenshot64_zps7d1e3027.png~original

screenshot66_zpseeed74d0.png~original

Coming in hot!

screenshot68_zps2db617b4.png~original

Now for the story. This is the same lander I used to get to Duna, however this time I decided to add 4 parachutes to the outboard fuel tanks because I didn't think we would have enough fuel to land solely on the engine. However, what I didn't expect was that when the parachutes fully opened up, that they would rip the ship into pieces. Well, that's what happened. Luckily for my quick thinking, I deployed the command module's single parachute to save the crew from slamming into the surface. However now, they had 4 large chunks of space ship floating down on top of them.

screenshot70_zpsc9048017.png~original

The largest chunk, a fuel tank and engine, floated closely but safely by and hit the ground first.

screenshot72_zpsba445ae4.png~original

After the command module safely landed, there were still 3 fuel tanks coming down and I wasn't sure if they were going to land right on top of our 3 Kerbals or not.

screenshot74_zpsf1798cbe.png~original

Luckily, those 3 chunks missed the command module by just a few feet. Flag planted, mission accomplished. Sort of. They may not be getting home, but they knew that going into this mission. Good job guys.

screenshot76_zpsb062121f.png~original

Sylon I think your craft would have been better suited to have the radials put on the sides of those tanks and some drogue chutes on top where you ave the radials now. Possibly two radials on the command pod as well to keep the ship from ripping itself apart like it has, but now you get the fun mission of rescuing them. Best of luck!

Captain's Jeb's Log (Kerbin - Day 0): I'm really excited to be going to Duna. My training is complete. The mission plan takes me into a long wide Kerbol orbit to intersect with Duna, Land on Duna, and then return home. RND tells me that I won't need much fuel because I can aerobrake using Duna's atmosphere, and then land using the parachute.

Captain's Jeb's Log (Kerbin Orbit - Day 1): One of the decouplers fired too soon (cough), but I was able to ride the rest of that stage up anyways by balancing my craft on it until it flamed out (BOOYAH!) Looking forward to the interplanetary burn tomorrow.

Captain's Jeb's Log (Duna Trajectory - Day 2): The interplanetary burn went ok. It took more fuel that was accounted for though. Something went wrong with my controls during the burn and I ended up anti-normal by half a degree. I'm sure its fine, its only half a degree...

Captain's Jeb's Log (Duna Trajectory - Day 3): Now it's a waiting game... 88 days until Duna. Time to watch some Kerb Trek I guess.

Captain's Jeb's Log (Duna Trajectory - Day 91.0): Wow! That time went by really fast! It feels like it was only a minute or two...

Captain's Jeb's Log (Duna Trajectory - Day 91.1): Something is not right... According to my calculations, we are not going to touch the atmosphere at all... Recalculating retrograde burn.

Captain's Jeb's Log (Duna Trajectory - Day 91.3): I did some refiguring, and The best I can do is get into orbit. This far along the trajectory and I don't have the fuel for that much delta V.

Captain's Jeb's Log (Duna Orbit - Day 91.6): Retrograde burn complete. Entering into a polar orbit around Duna. It is not exactly what I wanted, but at least I'm not on an interstellar trajectory forever...

Captain's Jeb's Log (Duna/Ike Ejection Trajectory - Day 91.18): I forgot to check on Ike! My duna orbit will have Ike do a gravdic assist that ejects me from the Kerbol system! Not much fuel left. What do I do now?

Captain's Jeb's Log (Ike Ejection Trajectory - Day 91.21): I'm going to use up the remainder of my fuel on an retrograde burn at Ike periapsis. Hopefully this will put me in orbit around Ike.

Captain's Jeb's Log (Ike Orbit - Day 91.22): Well It worked. I have about 10% of the fuel left in this lander, but I'm in orbit of Ike at about 21km. Radioed KSC, hope they can send Bill.

Captain's Jeb's Log (Ike Orbit - Day 95): Bill is busy. Apparently he is taking a job pumping gas? He always was kind of odd... KSC has put me on hold... At least the hold music isn't that guy singing "KumaKuma" anymore, now it's a song called "Never gonna give you up" by Rick Kerman.

Captain's Jeb's Log (Ike Orbit - Day 124): I've been in orbit of Ike for 32 days now. Starting to get kind of bored. I have done all the science that I was sent to do, and sent the results to KSC. Still on hold, and it's still Rick Kerman...

Captain's Jeb's Log (Ike Orbit - Day 173): I picked up some transmissions from Mission control. It sounds like the fuel station project is going well. I sure could use a fuel station out here... I'm starting to hate Rick...

I built my first functional asparagus staged rocket. Why did I not try this before? The thing is unexpectedly powerful compared to anything else I currently have and gets to stable 100km orbit using only a sip of the fuel in the central tanks after dropping all boosters. Originally I had put more stuff on it but I was feeling unsure due to my weight increases (the design this is based off of which was good for lifting 15 tons to 150km orbital rendezvous using about 1/2 fuel in the central tanks, used SRBs in place of the outer ring and one fewer tank height-wise on the inner ring) so I dropped the science lab and decreased the nuke engines from 3 to 1 and did this as a test expecting to have to decouple everything behind the nuke once I was ready to leave Kerbin orbit. It's a little wobbly due to not enough torque wheels, but it's flyable and was only a prototype. You can see the radial decouplers hanging off the outer tanks where I was going to add more but decided to see what this would do.

KSP2013-12-3116-47-00-93.jpg~original

Edited by Duke23

Sylon, you forgot the rule number 1 "MOAAAAAR STRUTS!" BTW Eve doesn't need that amount of chutes, 2 radials on capsule and one on top and let's go! Eve atmosphere is thicker than sirup. For the rescue mission... good luck. 12K dV to quit Eve if I'm right this is "a bit" outsized even with mods.

It's a strange stage config for an asparagus 2 rings. usually it's staged by 2 delivering an ultra efficient dV especially when there a re a lot of tanks as we can see here. The more tanks you have the huger the dV bonus is. (but sometime I had some TWR issues when I started to use asparagus). Asparagus using numerous rings are really, really boring to build but it's an impressive dV provider mechanic.

Today I tried to dock my first space station parts and after an hour of meaningless and tedious battle with clamps, I found out that I mounted a clampotron senior backward... That's why I couldn't dock :sealed: I was really, really, really pissed of for the first time i'm playing KSP and cause I had some glitches, I made a fresh install with up to date mods and... broke my already orbiting space station parts. I understood the message and gave up for the moment, KSP doesn't want I build a space station, ok, ok.

But I'm happy cause I saved my beloved Jeb from loneliness, orbiting Kerbin until the end of Kerbol. I used a desorbiter probe to slow down his vessel decreasing the Pe enough to program an atmosheric reentry and some party to celebrate his home coming "Don't forget the snacks guys" was the first thing he said on radio before reentry.

Edited by Vahal

Lessee... last night my two-part probe arrived at Eve, and put a lander down there. Flew the orbiter over to Gilly, maybe I'll land it too. And later tonight (within 2013 still??) I hope to have Jeb, Bill and Bob arrive at Dres. Not a great first choice for interplanetary travel (and return?) but it was the closest launch window. I had "go" fever.

I was saying I was going to deorbit that one tanker station that was going the wrong direction after I pick up Bob, well I just did that and it wasn't pretty but it was effective. I made the rendezvous with the new asparagus staged nuke cruiser and tested to see if my new docking port alignment method is compatible (it's not), transferred Bob over, topped off the tanks and separated, that's where things got hairy. I went to turn the tanker station around to retrograde and bumped the cruiser with one of the engines, almost knocking off a monoprop tank (no big loss there) then decided I'd throttle up the outside engines just to see what happened with my docking setup. Everything instantly flexed but held together, so I decided to give it a little more and it fell apart, the outside engines & tanks slamming into the front of the main stack and causing a massive explosion. At first I thought I lost the cruiser too but thankfully I had thrusted far enough away by that point that none of the spray of debris hit it. The good news is all of the debris is pretty much on a 40km periapsis to Kerbin so it will come down eventually if not this orbit (the apo was only 90ish). I should take all my stations down in massive sprays of debris into the atmosphere.

KSP2013-12-3119-17-14-46.jpg~original

KSP2013-12-3119-53-49-32.jpg~original

KSP2013-12-3119-57-45-76.jpg~original

Today I sent a lab and lander to Minmus to collect science. Collected 1400 science in that one mission, left the lab and lander in Minmus orbit for future missions and brought the crew home safely.

<iframe class="imgur-album" width="100%" height="550" frameborder="0" src="http://imgur.com/a/sA5VW/embed"></iframe>

Tonight, I learned that the docking port on the first part of the station I'm building is on backwards. How did I learn this? I learned it after I had done my first ever rendezvous in orbit, and the two sections will only bounce off each other :blush: