What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

I did a manned exploratory kethane/science flyby mission of Duna and Ike.

Not terribly exciting, I'm doing a career involving baby steps. Next is to send an unmanned kethane miner to locations discovered on Ike and Duna so future kerbanauts will have a supply of fuel waiting for them. Similar to Dr. Zubrin's Mars Direct plan.

Built a rescue lander to rescue my stranded Kerbals. The mission was successful, insofar as I got the lander down within 5km of the crash site. I collected what SCIENCE I could, and hoofed it to the rescue. However, I cringed at the KER readouts. I had a whole 750 m/s of fuel left. >_< Apparently I burned through 1000 m/s just landing. I lifted off anyway, hoping against hope I could (LOL) have enough left over for a Kerbal return burn.

Not so much. I got off the ground, circularized ~15km, and ran out of fuel. Now I have a Rescue for the Rescue in LKO about to rendezvous and get our intrepid heroes home. Even if it kills them. :0.0:

today I decided to go to the Moon, and by that I mean Luna. I downloaded the realistic solar system mod, FAR and deadly reentry. Initially, I failed over and over, but I was determined to put a Kerbal on the surface of the moon and return him safely.

I was really taken back by how difficult it was. Sort got a renewed kind of appreciation for real life space exploration.

Sent Jeb to Duna ... crashed but survived. Sent Bill to save him ... landed but not enough fuel to return to Kerbin. Sent Bob after them. Landed, yet not enough fuel to get home... :( always improved the design, still no dice ... lets see who will be the next poor soul to "rescue" them.

screenshot405.png

I started out just messing around with some domestic-grade high-altitude cruising test flights (target was 24,000m) but after a while it got pretty silly. Altitude of 38,000m, air below instrument threshold and reads "0.00" (didn't flame out), turbojet running at barely 5% of rated thrust while cruising at mach 6 and change...

Worked on refining my SSTO rover design, trying different engines, fuel loads and so on. Found a much better flight profile for it than what I had been using before.

Crashed a couple of conventionally powered versions (Aerospike, then LV-909) on Minmus - the first ran out of fuel trying to land and the pilot had to bail out and get to orbit with EVA thrusters, the second ran out of fuel above one of the flats while still moving forward quite fast - I tried to land it on its rover wheels but the craft broke apart and the crew capsule bounced along with bits flying off in all directions before it eventually braked to a halt on its one remaining wheel.

Then I tried a nuclear version with far higher delta V (it's a heavy craft for a one-Kerbal spaceplane, but has over 3000 ms-1 left after reaching LKO which is easily enough for getting to Minmus, landing and return) - this went well, landed on the flats, drove up a hill and took some more samples for kicks, then boosted to orbit. Driving on Minmus with it is interesting, but the heavy spaceplane fared better than lighter rovers, though braking tended to fling it into the sky a few metres and the long LV-N was a constant worry. Made it back to Kerbin and indeed the LV-N broke off on landing in the desert. Gonna be a lot of work to move the mounting!

Skurj 23-I Meerkovo landed on Minmus.

3g42ZWe.png

Edited by Silverchain

Stress tested my new three man verson of Starbug.

5c4UF95.pngogV8me8.png

In the end, I made a version which bounses after a 12m/s impact, rather than exploding at 6m/s. So that's reasuring.

Also, found multiwheels not working, so Dontop is stuck several Km outside the Mun base.

cEI63Jc.png

Had to kick Wehrwin out of the Starbug before it was to be sent to the Mun.

MVnLnlO.gif

They're very hard headed, these kerbals.

Edited by Tw1

My rescue mission to Duna and detour at Ike let me unlock a couple tech tree nodes, so I've been playing around with the big boy toys.

Tested out a "refueling cube" for my large ships (it did NOT work):

KSP2014-01-1123-21-12-20.jpg~original

And currently I'm taking my newest ship, the KSS Trident, out to Dres. I brought a small lander so hopefully I will be able to touch down. This new ship is like the Maverick on steroids with almost 13,000 units of fuel capacity, 6 LV-Ns, and over 11,000m/s of DeltaV (compared to the Maverick's ~5,500) when fully fueled and loaded with only a small lander. The smaller tank behind the battery was already filled when I brought it up just in case the lifter decided it hated me, and I only bothered to fill the outer tanks before going out since I was already irritated with trying to get fuel to it with last generation tech and it's packing about 8,500 DV as is. It is also my first ship to not use solar panels as it sports 4 Radioisotope Thermoelectric Generators. I really hope I don't run out of fuel halfway back from Dres, that would be disappointing and these figures for getting there are higher than I expected. I'll have to be more careful of my transfer window when coming back which I... Well I didn't do that at all when I left, I just burned prograde until I hit a Kerbin exit trajectory, which was apparently a really bad idea and I should have at least waited until the AN. Whatever though, too late to nit pick it now. Flying by the seat of my pants never gets old!

KSP2014-01-1202-13-40-98.jpg~original

Edited by Duke23

Oh my god. I fell into the lander I put on Dres and wobbled and balanced perfectly like this. I can't push it back. Oh my god.

KSP2014-01-1203-25-10-75.jpg~original

Whew. I jumped up into it and was able to use the reaction wheels to turn it back on its feet.

And I take back my statement about waiting until the AN for transfer. I should have just been smarter about it in general :P

Edited by Duke23