What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

Today I was making a trial travel for my science truck in the moon:

qRkIOiH.png

Is a very simple truck, one laboratory two, leader cans and two cupola... with a complete mass of 40t

S61qU6U.png

It show me how I can go to all the Mün biomes wit only one travel

I've set up for my first flight to Duna. It's gonna be a while until the transfer window, so I parked the unmanned Duna Express in a Keostationary Orbit to wait for the window.

Meanwhile, my Aeronautics Division has built a stable low-atmosphere jet dubbed the Dragonfly Mk1.

mLOK55D.jpg

Here's Jebediah taking it for an endurance run aiming to make it to the North Pole. Flight is still in progress as I type, so I'll stop by later to share the final results!

iEadOBk.jpg

Made it to the polar ice cap and about 90% of the way to the actual pole before being forced to land; ran out of fuel.

The Dragonfly Mk1 is marked a successful first step for the Aeronautics Division, reaching a top speed of about 512 m/s at a cruising altitude of about 13.5km.

The next iteration of the Dragonfly series will attempt to double the speed, aiming for a jet that can cruise at 1000 m/s.

Edited by TLATopHat

I landed on Pol for the first time with my Probesetta probe.

kPxoBPc.png?1

On the launch pad.

m0gu0Br.png?1

Separation of the Jool transfer stage.

3HyJEGe.png?1

Arrival at Jool.

QMYR75Z.png?1

First gravity assist from Tylo.

5sFaocb.png?1

Second gravity assist from Tylo.

e3RBoIw.png?1

Approaching Pol.

yvjvIA9.png?1

In Polar orbit.

6SU3p8z.png?1

Lander separation. It's called Phil, by the way.

FcduhOu.png?1

Approaching the surface.

GmbICtM.jpg?1

First picture of the surface.

tV9oF9w.jpg?1

First picture after touchdown. Phil is now in Slenderland.

Designed an adhoc Kethane thing to be shipped of to Mun, land, pump, launch, return, dock, fill up my ship - but I dont really like it ...

For one it will have to refuel itself on the Mun and carry all mining equipment back and secondly even if I modulize the drill and converter part of it and leave it behind, there is still my inability to land closer than 5km to anything should I ever want to reuse it.

Still three days left to the next Duna window.

Luckily time in the KSP universe passes differntly from ours. :P

Restarted a Kethane program since I haven't been playing much this version. First order of business was to harvest Minmus. The miner has serious design flaws coming from both my poor memory and getting cute in the design. The hardpoints don't transfer fuel on their own apparently, so it's 3 manual refuels if the side tanks run dry. God help you if there isn't enough in the central reserve to fill all 3 back up (balance issues). Also, because the mini refinery is on a nacelle, all the fuel has to be moved from the tank it's sitting on. The order of the day is a new top section with fuel lines which should make the fuel flow work much better and largely solve both issues (it doesn't need to refine in flight so it's not biggie).

A more pressing concern is that the last time I did it, I was mining in a lake. Considering that I am now mining the hills, going from 6 legs to 3 legs seems less like removing excessive mass and more like penny pinching bureaucracy. For as long as I use that miner (I have another payload I'll be sending with the replacement top half, so I'll be using the 3 legs for a while), I need to make sure I put one leg down the slope. Also some potential to use the Lazor tractor beams as a landing stability system. This miner hit the ground at 1.3 m/s and it was barely able to stay upright.

ui1w.png

I need this camera thing

need need need.

I feel like there should be some new guidelines to include a mod list with screenshots hahaha

I'm using the Hullcam mod. You can get it here: http://kerbalspaceprogram.com/hullcam-vds/

It should be noted that the "footage" has been Photoshopped, however. In reality it looks just like any other view.

I'm using the Hullcam mod. You can get it here: http://kerbalspaceprogram.com/hullcam-vds/

It should be noted that the "footage" has been Photoshopped, however. In reality it looks just like any other view.

I forgot that hullcam was a thing.

I was trying to remember what the mod was called...

I'll go check it out, it'd be cool anyway.

So I made a lander that had enough science gear to suck every point of data possible from the biome it landed on. Fine. Got it to the mun and back. Fine. Landing on Kerbin however didnt go as plan. Right as the chutes went the bottom half of the lander ripped off. Lost all the science gear almost. So it crashed right?

A09AF02A5CB1AEC0A89E8CDC896B24899D5284E5

Pod is in the background, bottom half landed from 500m with no chutes or thrusters. Not sure how that happened.

Also made this ship for fun.

E4E41FFA685B99685CB0E59966FE2347DA86C5B5

So I made a lander that had enough science gear to suck every point of data possible from the biome it landed on. Fine. Got it to the mun and back. Fine. Landing on Kerbin however didnt go as plan. Right as the chutes went the bottom half of the lander ripped off. Lost all the science gear almost. So it crashed right?

http://cloud-4.steampowered.com/ugc/3336341088071995017/A09AF02A5CB1AEC0A89E8CDC896B24899D5284E5/

Pod is in the background, bottom half landed from 500m with no chutes or thrusters. Not sure how that happened.

Also made this ship for fun.

http://cloud-3.steampowered.com/ugc/3336341088071996696/E4E41FFA685B99685CB0E59966FE2347DA86C5B5/

Needs more Solar Panels. :sticktongue:

Needs moar boosters is what it needs. Everyone knows that ;P

Today I unlocked the gravioli detector and sensor nose cone, with which I strip-mined Kerbin for science and got enough to unlock junior docking ports, micro probe cores, and mainsail engines. Time to get back to building mega-ultra-ships! Right after I strip-mine the Mun at least. I'm gonna see if it's possible to clear the whole tech tree without leaving the Kerbin planetary system.

I was experimenting with a possible lander design for a mission to Laythe. During the flight tests, I realized that the thing doesn't need a lifter vehicle at all.

laythe_lander.jpg

Basically I got an accidental three-kerbal SSTO. Now I'm starting to believe that using wings is counterproductive in SSTO design.

It was also the first time I used cubic octagonal struts for anything.

Why ... in VAB KER told me my jury rigged all-in-one Kethane rig had enough thrust to lift itself and six full additional tanks (simulating its filled cargo tanks) from the Mun ... somehow this changed on the way up into orbit ... ? Diverted it (via a nice slingshot) to Minmus and will hope for the best, much fuel will have to be dumped though before a landing can even be attempted.

Speaking of fuel - fuel flow is wonky, so thank you TAC Fuel Balancer for stabilizing my contraption!

Should I ever get my hands on that engineer at KSC ... so difficult to find good staff! :P

In other news: The Council finally released the funding for the actual Kethane program ... !

62d for survey probe to arrive at Duna - 2d until predicted ideal transfer window for the Duna expedition