What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

Treveli, that's close enough to get out and push! Wait till you're at Apoapsis and EVA and push retrograde with your Kerbal's rocket pack to drop your periapsis into the atmosphere. You can refuel EVA fuel by getting back in your pod if you have to, but don't run out!

A time-honored Kerbal tradition, this getting out to push.

I came up with a design for a refueler for either Kerbin or Laythe:

IarRmyil.png

It can make LKO without touching that Orange tank's fuel, and barely touching the white tank on top of that.

Also, it can bring 12 passengers and 3 pilots.

Once in orbit, its got 5.6 km/s dV left, if not used for refueling.

So yesterday (technically today morning, but whatever) I decided to build an Universal Space Exploration Vehicle. Yesterday I built it, today I finished it up and thought "how the f am I going to get that thing into space?" It has wings so it had to be a shuttle type launch. I figured it was going to be a few hundred launches until I get it to a stable orbit (like with my first shuttle, and for that one I edited the poodle to 10 degree thrust vectoring). So I attached a 3.75x15m fuel tank, 2 3.75x38m SRBs, strutted it up and launched.

Here's what went wrong: when the SRBs were on the last fifth of their fuel, the torque became too great to overcome with puny 1 degree trust vectoring, so I let them go. The vectoring also couldn't handle the tank, so I had to ditch it early. Last, but not least, the fuel line to the tank didn't work for some reason so it was nothing but useless payload.

Even after all that, the thing reached a stable orbit with plenty of fuel left. Here it is:

FqF0xRB.png

I would have taken many more pictures if I knew it was going to make it. I'll fix the issues it currently has and post the results later.

It is meant to stay in space and never touch land again. Once refueled, it should have the Dv to go pretty much anywhere. I can recall a challenge requiring a craft like that so I'll see if this matches the criteria and maybe I'll try.

Jank

Treveli, that's close enough to get out and push! Wait till you're at Apoapsis and EVA and push retrograde with your Kerbal's rocket pack to drop your periapsis into the atmosphere. You can refuel EVA fuel by getting back in your pod if you have to, but don't run out!

A time-honored Kerbal tradition, this getting out to push.

Yep, already had that as my plan. And it worked, got my periapsis down to the 30km range and made reentry.

Unfortunately, following the tradition of the mission, I got distracted during the last GOAP maneuver and used up all my EVA fuel before I could get close enough to grab the pod.

But, in honor of kerbalnaut Splateredacrosstheterrain, I assembled an improved rocket and launched a second Mun flyby, which made a second successful flyby and landed safely in the Kerbin ocean.

I'm getting close to perfecting my SSLS, Stable Shuttle Launch System. (KW Rocketry, B9 Aerospace and some minor, non vital mods)

Few days ago somebody posted an obscure Russian shuttle design. Can't remember who it was or in what thread, I've search to no avail. But it got me thinking. Instead of mounting the external fuel tank on the side why not mount in on the nose, keeping the center of lift behind the center of mass and keeping it all stable. No fancy engine balancing. No exotic gimballing. And certainly no excessive reaction wheel spamming. Just plain old fashioned stable flight.

Ready for launch.

SSLS1.png

Lift off.

SSLS2.png

Booster separation.

SSLS3.png

Ejection of nose mounted fuel tank.

SSLS4.png

Orbit.

SSLS5.png

I still need to fine tune it a lot more. The return flight is still a nightmare and I have no clue about maximum payload.

Few days ago somebody posted an obscure Russian shuttle design. Can't remember who it was or in what thread, I've search to no avail.

Could it be Kliper that you saw? I also saw it somewhere, but can't remember where. I think it had a similar system, with the fuel on top.

No no. Definitely not Kliper. The Russian Kliper and European Hermes are both spin-offs of X-20 Dyna-Soar. Those are all small shuttles riding on top of the rocket. What I meant actually looked a lot like what I build. But it had two large boosters instead of my four smaller ones.

Perfected my FAR SSTO RAPIER that is able to transfer itself to Laythe, then fly there, and go up to mach 8.5. All this while looking sexy.

uB0EPyR.jpg

Takeoff ! Quick vertical ascent

HnxdbJa.jpg

Hypersonic ! Level flight before going to orbit

5utMwud.jpg

More hypersonic ! reaching mach 5.5+, lifting the nose to go to orbit

DXs1g8O.jpg

Orbit ! Preparing for Jool transfer

XoW8OM1.jpg

Transfer ! Going to Jool system

7OCQkxo.jpg

Arrival ! Getting a nice view of Laythe

ZCGZRZB.jpg

Landing ! At the weird but beautiful north pole of Laythe

Need i to say this flies beautifully, goes to dazzling speeds all while staying stable, and has a lot of small aerodynamic refinements that make it good at any speed :) This one is the product of many successive spaceplane designs, and a lot of hours of fine tuning the aerodynamics. It's got a small cargo bay for the articulated dock port, generators and batteries.

How the hell do you guys keep posting pics of huge high-performance space planes with like two measly Rapier engines, when my tiny SSTO designs won't even take off with 4 or 6...?!? And if they do take off, they're pointed nose to the clouds like a park avenue dowager just to keep from plunging into the drink...

I see a ton of non-stock parts, maybe that's how...

How the hell do you guys keep posting pics of huge high-performance space planes with like two measly Rapier engines, when my tiny SSTO designs won't even take off with 4 or 6...?!? And if they do take off, they're pointed nose to the clouds like a park avenue dowager just to keep from plunging into the drink...

I see a ton of non-stock parts, maybe that's how...

Well bear in mind that a lot of the B9 wings have mad lift, certainly more than just about any stock design that isn't using a crap-ton of clipped components. :D

I'm getting close to perfecting my SSLS, Stable Shuttle Launch System. (KW Rocketry, B9 Aerospace and some minor, non vital mods)

Few days ago somebody posted an obscure Russian shuttle design. Can't remember who it was or in what thread, I've search to no avail. But it got me thinking. Instead of mounting the external fuel tank on the side why not mount in on the nose, keeping the center of lift behind the center of mass and keeping it all stable. No fancy engine balancing. No exotic gimballing. And certainly no excessive reaction wheel spamming. Just plain old fashioned stable flight.

Ready for launch.

http://tex.texel.com/ksp023/SSLS1.png

Lift off.

http://tex.texel.com/ksp023/SSLS2.png

Booster separation.

http://tex.texel.com/ksp023/SSLS3.png

Ejection of nose mounted fuel tank.

http://tex.texel.com/ksp023/SSLS4.png

Orbit.

http://tex.texel.com/ksp023/SSLS5.png

I still need to fine tune it a lot more. The return flight is still a nightmare and I have no clue about maximum payload.

I believe you're thinking of the Energia-Uragan that was posted about in this thread: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/68076-24-reusing-ships?p=942056&viewfull=1#post942056

And this GIF he posted:

jURjz76.gif

I believe you're thinking of the Energia-Uragan that was posted about in this thread: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/68076-24-reusing-ships?p=942056&viewfull=1#post942056

And this GIF he posted:

http://i.imgur.com/jURjz76.gif

I ended up trying my hand at a true replication of that and ended up failing massively; Lawndart mode engaged after fuel depletion, The COM moved wayy too much.

today, I lost an excellent kerbonaut, Archibald Kerman. While placing struts on the prototype power station at KSC, only 8 meters up, the rover-mounted ladder he was on shifted suddenly, flinging him to the ground.

my base on Duna was today renamed to Archibald Kerman Memorial Base.

otherwise, i've been testing more components of the base, and designed an even larger crane.

i've been streaming kerbal as i've been doing this.

Edited by Commissar
macwell lives!

Spent a couple hours figuring out how to set up the launch stage of a Duna machine I made yesterday, finally got it done, only to not aerobrake enough for a capture. Cue spending about 5 minutes firing retrograde to get into a capture orbit. Cue another 5 minutes overcompensating and aerobraking too much on the next pass.

But hey, at least my parachutes made it!

I tried my Apollo lander in orbit. Did some docking attempts, but noticed difficulty controlling the lander with RCS.

Maybe it has something to do with the docking adapter being on top.

No idea, now i have done docking myself before, but i am confused again. I am now looking for the keyboard bindings to make sure i have all my info correct.

This i consider a problem with KSP, but it is not live so no complaning, but a manual might help a bit.

Edit : just found the keys on KSP wiki.