What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

I launched a 7-ship flotilla for Laythe. This brings my total of ships currently en route on various interplanetary trips to 18: 7 for Laythe, 6 for Vall, 3 for Duna, 1 for Eeloo, and 1 coming home from Duna. There are also currently probes (usually at least 2) at every planet and moon except Bop and Tylo and there's a station with a lander at Duna and a Kethane operation on Ike.

12594734714_b9c65f7912_b.jpg

Edited by Geschosskopf

A friend and I started a competitive career-mode multiplayer match which turned into a race to a manned fly-by of the Mun. Both of our first shots failed, with mine disintegrating when starting the second stage and his making a successful fly-by but running out of fuel with a high Kerbin orbit, forever stranded.

My second shot made a good fly-by with periapsis of the Mun at 17km and a good return trajectory after departing the Mun. That returned with 240+ science and a ticker-tape parade.

His next flight was a rescue mission of the stranded Kerbal which also failed. :(

Spent the past few days working on a 5.5k deltaV Kethane lander allowing me to refuel my ship on route during my grand tour. Having done that, I just realised something that makes me feel really stupid...

Instead of designing a ridiculously huge lander, I should have designed a 2-stage lander leaving the Kethane refueling station on the surface when ascending again. That way I can use KAS and simply use those lower lander sections as "gas stations". Means my lander can be smaller and easier to work with...and it will be able to carry more fuel up to orbit. Plus, if I ever come back, I can use the same fueling station again.

Back to the drawing board...

Two things:

First off, if you set a limit to the servos you won't have to worry about making the wings level when extended.

Second, what mod gives the lights? I'm still trying to figure that out.

Or, assign one of your action groups to "Move Center" for the joints. I use that for my own configurable flyers

Also: that was a BEAUTIFUL flare-out on that landing!

zQa1F9M.png

etfJnSw.png

gfZ8meu.png

Edited by Deadweasel

Been playing with the Real solar system mod and flying IVA only. Good fun...but really hard. I can just about et a 1 man ship to the moon.

This ship with about 12km/s of dv in total

udQP9kl.png

Just to get this command module into lko (250k km) to release 2 small science probes.

ju7uUMC.png

0rtus34.png

However the same lifter does get a small ship to the moon. Kerbin is so tiny from out there.

dFaqzLH.png

BXYyZhl.png

iPkrqIq.png

I launched a kethane probe to Gilly. In the process I broke my extreme aerobraking record, when the probe plunged into Eve's atmosphere at 9370 m/s.

kethane_probe.jpg

These long-distance probes are fun to play with, because they have enough delta-v to not care too much about launch windows.

Yesterday my Twin Ion Engine Probe finally reached its solar periapsis and I executed a 1.5 hour burn to circularise its orbit just outside Moho's orbit. It wasn't too bad with 4x warp.

Then I redesigned my Trident general purpose lander. The Mk 1 met spec for delta v, science capabilities, etc but a test flight to the Mun had shown manoueverability issues when landing. A complete redesign led to the Mk 2, with slightly more delta v.

Today I took the Trident Mk2 lander for a test flight. A launcher was constructed with enough delta v to put the lander into LKO and Bob (short for Kate) Kerman climbed aboard. This would be Bob's first mission to space, destination Minimus. The Trident Mk2 flew from LKO to Minimus and landed perfectly on the Slopes. Bob congratulated the engineers back at KSC on their design. A few experiments and a Min walk later the Trident returned to Kerbin. Aerobraking was successful and the lander splashed down just east of the Island Airfield. A resounding success and the first step to putting a Kerbal on another planet. :)