What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

I did a lot today...I designed and launched three probe landers to Dres, Jool, and Eve. Arrived at eve and did an aero capture. Dropped my two atmosphere analysis divers.Then visited gilly and dropped off my gilly lander, later deciding to also land my eve lander there. Then I took off and attempted Landing on eve. Finding out after 6 failed attempts, that ~50 m/s was too fast for my lander to handle the chute fully deploying. So now just the probe core is resting on eve's surface next to an impressively stacked pile of debris. Dres landed is a day away from encounter, will work on that tomorrow, along with my jool probe which is 100 days away.

Edited by Endersmens

Arrived at Duna: Com-Scan-Sat already mapping away and sending Data back to KSC; surface probe's parachutes opened very late, very tumbley landing due to remaining horizontal speed and landing on its side now - lost one solar array, but the remaining one sits on top, sufficient to send back data of the two Goo experiments. Data shows no immediate hazards, manned landing is a go.

Dune Expedition Ship entered the planets SOI and plotted a node to slowed down so Ike may pass without disturbing orbital insertion. Going for a powered insertion only at 60x60km. Minor problems with the nukes, they can no longer fire at 100% without overheating, KSC engineers are thinking - hard.

Before executing its last course correction DES released to small probes, exploiting the chance encounter to take readings high and low above Ike. They will then most likely leave Duna's SOI and continue sending back whatever data they can find.

Bill had the lab crew do some experiments and take some readings. He himself went on EVA to retrieve the final results and stored them for further analysis after the return to Kerbin.

DES will enter orbit in a few hours. KSC is calculating if the crew should go for aerobraking after all - fuel calculations might have been a bit to tight, yet the docked and not so small lander poses a volatile factor during such risky maneuvers.

Jeb filed todays crew report: he is happy - as usual.

Supplemental: Intern at KSC showed up late, no one felt responsible to jump in, no readings from atmospheric instruments during decent of surface probe - CEO most unhappy.

Edited by KerbMav

Got through nearly all of my first manned interplanetary mission, a Duna fly-by. I say "nearly all" because I still have to return the crew and deorbit the ship, but it's currently parked in a nice LKO waiting for a crew transfer vehicle. I'm calling this a success right now though, docking and deorbiting will be a cakewalk. I was going to reuse the ship for an Eve fly-by at some point, but every module of it needs tweaking of some kind.

^ I'm almost in the exact same place in my Duna Mission, returning the ship back to an LKO station, where a crew return shuttle will pick up my astronaut. Funnily enough, I think my next mission will be an Eve flyby too!

In real life, KSP has inspired me to get my lego back out of the attic, and I'll be making rovers and shuttles before long :D

I finally started my Laythe colonization program by sending a scout ship there. It was also my first manned mission beyond Duna.

laythe_launch.jpg

IVA view was quite useful during the long transfer burn.

laythe_navball.jpg

Finally approaching Jool. I spent a while tweaking the maneuver nodes to get directly to Laythe.

laythe_approach.jpg

A succesful landing about 300 meters from the sea.

laythe_landing.jpg

After the disappointing mission to Duna, Merman Kerman finally found what he was looking for.

laythe_merman.jpg

Finally put a craft on Eve that has the potential to return to orbit, and hopefully home to Kerbin. My other Eve ventures were all One-Way-Trips (OWTs). This is the first time I've planned a trip to actually come home. And I'm not doing it the traditional way, either. I first landed a Kethane refinery on Eve. Landed my return ship using all the fuel inside close to the refinery. Drove it over to the refinery. Refuelled my ship, and I'll be hitting launch to return home soon. Probably tonight.

This was a massive venture that took multiple ships over multiple days. First the satellite to scan for Kethane. Then rovers to pick out a suitable landing site. Then the refinery itself. And lastly, the actual space ship rocket thing. I'm using two mods, Kethane and Kerbal Attachment System (KAS) as fuel lines.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Played around with my tow cart some more for the Auk VIII; tried KAS pipe attachments instead of the winch cable and that seemed to work really well. Was able to refuel the Auk and tow it from the SPH taxiway about halfway back to the start of the runway. Got to going too fast - 'splosions were involved.

Went ahead and flew a different Auk to orbit for good measure. Tonight I'll do an operational run of the tow cart refueling system after dumping the Auk's supplies off on a Thunderbolt in orbit.

Finally got to jool. Tried it only 2 times before so i thought i'd give it a shot again. After aerobraking in jool i forgot the solars on the first probe and it ran out of power... Before i quicksaved without noticing it. The second one didn't have that design flaw.

Ferram Aerospace Research and Deadly Reentry installed!

Gravity assist from Vall

0scR1Tq.png

Aerobraking in Jool's atmosphere

43a6deJ.png

Final orbit around Laythe, I had to pull an aerobrake into orbit going at 6000+ m/s. Deadly Reentry did not make it easy! I lost my orbital stage which can be seen on the other pictures. That heatshield i put in between it and the probe just in case paid off.

*SNAP, FORGOT TO ATTACH THE IMAGE*

HHbYj3g.png

Edited by karolk

I would like to ask for a moment of silence for Jeb. During a risky high speed, high altitude EVA maneuver to gather critical science data, Jeb found himself detached from the Command Module. Unfortunately, Jeb found himself plummeting helpless to the planets surface below.

Our space program is in it's infancy, and unfortunately Jeb is our first casualty of progress. We will remember you always. Thank you for your service and dedication to the cause.

R.I.P.

--Impatience

First Tylo landing: Take 2:

OcNnWLt.png

Hard landing when I ran out of fuel for my auxiliary power "emergency rockets" destroyed my landing gear and LV-N's. Probably wouldn't have had enough dV to make orbit again anyways, even with the nukes. For "Take 3" tomorrow I'll dump more fuel in the nearly empty transfer stage I use for the initial deorbit burn. Should give me enough to make orbit after. At least he left the Jool system science in the lab this time.

My colonization efforts at Laythe continue. I had some luck, as a probe found kethane deposits surrounding a crater lake at an equatorial island, making it a promising place for the colony. Next I'm going to send a lander to investigate the area. As I didn't expect to find such useful deposits on Laythe itself, I also have to figure out the best way to exploit them.

Of course, Pol or Bop will be better for major refueling operations. I'll have to send another probe to investigate.

My 3 kerbal Duna mission finished its stay at Duna after one kerbal landed with a rover. After a long burn home I discovered I didn't bring enough fuel, so I had to ditch my small 3-man transport and what was left of the lander to drop the mass. Tomorrow I see if I remembered enough life support and then aerobraking, putting her in a stable orbit to wait for transport back to the space center.

The other day I started a new "hard mode" career. Went for a first Mun landing today, and just *had* to try for that second biome. Like an idiot I said "Eh, we can at least make orbit." Wrong. Actually, more wrong that I thought. Jeb pushed the pod to orbit since he didn't think 1/2 a day was enough time to get a rescue together and he didn't want to be the first blue skeleton orbiting the Mun in a suit. Could push for Kerbin, but luckily we had the foresight to give him 20 days of supplies and (as a last minute thought) a solar panel on the pod. He'll hold a new record after Bill or Bob come and get him.

tFLXk0u.png

Bill and Bob are going to get some serious ribbing from Jeb about running into transfer stage in Mun orbit. Having knocked off the parachute, 1 RCS tank, 1 solar panel, and 1 lifesupport module, they will need pickup from Kerbin orbit. Also, lots of paperwork, and appearances before the investigative committee.

40xNPVK.png

Auk-delivered Thunderbolt refuel and landing again. First operational test of the crash cart - tow and refuel went well right up until I unhooked the pipe; the rear engine was clipped into the front of the crash cart, so it promptly fell off. Alas. I still think the design can make it into orbit on six engines; I'll make the attempt at re-launch this evening (knock on wood).

Nothing yet, but I have a few missions in the planning stages, I've hardly any kerbals not on missions, looked in the astronaut complex and there's a few assigned to Mun Base Alpha which I'm planning on decommissioning so I'm putting together a craft to go to the mun, deploy a lander, and pick them up to bring them back to Kerbin for a while before they go off to Duna!

Edited by Biker Joe