What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

I have a double update on my Youtube channel today:

My first collaborative build with my pal Xacktar, it thankfully went explosions free... this time.

And the newest episode of Rover Adventures - Around Kerbin, my personal challenge to circumnavigate Kerbin on a rover, no mods, no hacks, only stock because HARDCORE.

Completed my first manned Dres mission!

Leaving Kerbin Orbit. Additional fuel tank in the back was inspired by its usefulness during the Gilly voyage, and the orange tug is new. The lander is also a departure from my usual design, with legs that are designed to come off after Dres launch, but with the content arranged so that it can still do a lot without them, based on my horrific Bop experience a few months ago.

4M7pbVP.png

After dropping the other orange tank, I reached Dres orbit with plenty of fuel to spare.

wjeWSL0.png

After shifting as much fuel as possible back into the lander, I undocked and made my descent.

3yYaeJG.png

Successful landing, and both Hudgun and Kerdrin are having a blast!

PlVIzke.png

Returned to orbit, ditched the legs, and rendezvoused with the tug, bringing a full central tank back up with me. At first I was worried that I hadn't brought enough fuel to get home, but the fuel spent during the initial burn proved me wrong.

pVc8GBM.png

Once back on a collision course with Kerbin, my path suggested that I might land at night, so I once again transfered all fuel to the lander and ditched the tug.

z0qabG7.png

By the time my burn was complete, I was sure that I would land on the lit side.

MXpZaGV.png

Chutes deployed:

U2WawJn.png

Returned safely!

449h0QM.png

Designed a light rover and did a little testing. Also made a Mun escape system with the same mass. Did a little test with the MES, which can reach over 200 m/s in Kerbin's atmosphere going straight up and carrying two Kerbals. Not sure if that'll be enough, but I guess we'll see. May need to do something to hold them on more securely, too. Tried to put a lander together for it, but I don't know if it'll be capable of doing a biome hop carrying the... everything. Also ran into a few VAB glitches - phantom parts, bound cursor, duplications everywhere, symmetry acting strange... so that slowed me down.

I nearly docked a fuel cell to the space station, I would have been able to but there was an issue with my markers on the nav ball being reversed for some reason. I am sure that it was not efficient, but I did all the rendezvous stuff without mechjeb so that has to count for something.....maybe not LOL. I need to redesign the fuel cell I think so that it isn't backwards, and maybe remap the RCS controls to a something that is easier to remember (Not a fan of the H,N,J,I,K,L I get them mixed up).

I launched 24 GPS satellites in 6 launches, tomorrow I will perform orbital maneuvers to spread them out equally around Kerbin.

I also launched 3 LHX class Spy Satellites in a Polar Orbit, and when one of them failed, Kerbal Intelligence Agency liaison and special agent Kirrim Kerman had to perform a solo orbital rendezvous and EVA service on the telescope.

I've been working on a Mk3 spaceplane in my bone-stock install. I'm pretty happy with it but find it somewhat demanding to fly; it's certainly no tiny toy like I'm used to. 27.3 tons on the runway and heavily part-clipped.

bSetzd0.png

QNL46WA.png

I underestimated Minmus's gravity. Seriously. Also my refueled is lying on its side on minmus and it can't right itself. So I'll need to make a tow truck. I also worked on the design for my landable mega-refueler.

I decided I'll reuse my empty mega-refueler orbiting Tylo by attaching landing legs.

Also, I successfully ascended from Vall and Tylo for the first time today. My crew are looking forward to going home.

Sent the completed Kerbatar on a mission to Mun. Why? To make absolutely sure everything worked, officially, by actually going somewhere. Including transporting Kerbals without killing them.

Also launched the beginnings of my new Mun Base, which can be seen temporarily docked to the Kerbatar:

screen38.jpg

The tiny white and green speck above the Kerbatar is Elmund Kerman, who makes a nice size reference ^^

I downloaded FAR, and immediately lept into a "Spaceplanes only" Carear mode. So far I've unlocked Material Science and Turbofans.

Biomes visited: KSC, Runway, launchpad, Ocean(island), Ocean (water, still needs material science), Shores, and Grassland.

Congrats - my first Duna landing required a rescue mission to come get it :P

Thanks! I did it unmanned for a reason. Of course, I failed to mention that I repeated the landing 5 times because it kept tipping over. -_-

Played so much KSP since it feels like it's been another day. Started a new career mode and made an early tech space station.

r1LTj3v.png

No docking nodes or anything, so the return capsules are attached to it. Probably the prettiest thing I've built.

I've been playing for a while now (Steam says 84 hours) but never went interplanetary, only mun and minmus, so I decided I wanted to finally get to another planet, easiest choice: Duna

So my first rocket was sent

qVmoij1l.png

used the Protractor to time my departure, and successfully aerobreaked so much that my Apoapsis was very close to an Ike encounter, so landed on Ike, no problems. After that I went back to Duna only to figure out that I had forgotten any parachutes other than the ones I'd be using to return, after many unsuccessful landing attempts I decided to scrap it and flew my boys home.

Take 2, Edited my rocket a lot, Wanted to make it as efficient as possible, have all rockets on the ship firing at once, so made this beastly thing

7qOp5pml.png

sent it on it's way, same as before, no problems at all, managed to get its Aerobreak even more perfect than before (didn't need to revisit Ike)

7iWPy9jl.png

And then spent 3 or 4 tries getting the thing to land successfully. My 68 parachutes tended to rip the ship apart when they openned unless I was going <100m/s

j7sHhDBl.png

But finally got it, landed my BEAST of a lander

njwYmpNl.png

did my science, then made my guys spend 2 years hanging around until I was in the right window to return home, got my rendezvous with Kerbal then kinda maybe accidentally decoupled my engines so I was using JUST my return stage, no engines at all. So when I entered Kerbals SOI, I was 1300km from the planet, so the hero Jebediah got out and pushed! :D

pQQpz40l.png

Ended up with 2444 science from the second trip (first was around 1700) and now I'm only 3 (550 point) research nodes from completing the tree :D

Next: TO EVE!!!