What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

Made a nice 737 inspired plane, and did a few contracts with it. Flies wonderfully.

sEGKVoS.png

And did a couple of more contracts in my CF-100. The tourist was smiling all the time. Not many civilians get to fly in a fully armed and ready jet fighter.

xSSw1ZJ.png

fhGZqWL.jpg

I did some tests of the Corvus Cargo Lander. It's a standardized lander designed primarily for Constellation-style missions to Duna, but I suspect it's good for anywhere with an atmosphere of up to 1atm of sea level pressure.

t4g67Pw.jpg

I also tested out a new rover design. It's designed to fit in the front of the Corvus lander, but I could also use a cargo Altair to land it on a non-atmospheric body like the Mun.

Edited by eloquentJane

Launched my LM and docked it to the CSM. Docking is like riding a bike, you never forget it once you've learned.

Despite having put the spare fuel from the LM's upper stage into the still-attached CSM's upper stage, I'm about 900 m/s short so I will need to send up some additional fuel, probably in drop tanks for the CSM.

Today I got MOST of the launches done for an upcoming Duna transfer  window.  I'm sending infrastructure in a big way.  Comsat constellation for full communications coverage of both worlds, Ore prospecting package for Ike, mining base with ground and orbit support vehicles, Duna orbital station, Ike orbital station, landers for both worlds, in-system tugs to haul passengers and freight (i.e., fuel) between the two worlds, the works.  17 launches, some assembly in low Kerbin orbit, leading to a flotilla of 13 separately-flying craft on interplanetary trajectories, with a final configuration of 25 independent craft scattered around the Duna-Ike system, 10 permanent crew, and assorted other kerbonauts going just for fun training.

I'm now down to the last couple launches.  And it occurred to me:  wait...some of these kerbals are just visiting.  They'll expect to get back home, won't they?

Maybe I should send at least one craft intended to RETURN...?

Okay guys, change the press releases--all the numbers have to be increased by one.  Oh, and tell the vehicle design department their vacations are cancelled--they've just been assigned a rush job....

I've been working on a Dres mission architecture based on re-useable tankers for a couple of weeks now...  Today, finally, a breakthrough on tug/tanker design.  The numbers, just barely, fall into place - one tug can that haul one tanker that can (just barely) support two additional return flights assuming the flights delivered max payload.  (Dres is a stone cold bear to get to and from!  The average isn't bad, but the outliers pop up just enough that they have to be accounted for.)  Fortunately the tanker for the return flights and for lander support are pretty much the heaviest components, so the balance should in theory (famous last words) fall straight into place.  Still, I'm going to have think very carefully about how the rest of the mission components are packaged.

Next step, finalize the lander design, then the crew transfer vehicle.  (Life support is killing me on the latter, because in addition to a wide range of d/v requirements different windows have wildly different transit times.)

Still pondering on the need for an OTV at Dres (if I do need it, I have a self-ferrying design at hand).  Also pondering whether to assemble the tankers into a fuel farm or to leave them free flying.

15 hours ago, Galacticvoyager said:

Got a Duna Mothership into Orbit...

Testing out a revised Titan, and also needed a Duna Mothership so that once a Duna encounter is established, I can transfer over to the world of red spice! The Mothership is called Red Spice fittingly, will soon launch a lander and a kerbin return vessel onto Red Spice...

Sorry dude but what you're looking for isn't on Squad's red planet. It's all over the place, however, on Galileo's as clearly written below. :wink: Actual biome names are actual.

7 hours ago, eddiew said:

aGaHvrV.jpg

Today I learned to customize, and gave feedback for a newborn mod, witnessed the resurrection of another mod, and then struggled to pin precise waypoint markers on some planets to collect coordinates for dev work. Nothing screenshot-worthy, sadly.

So I've been trying to complete an ISRU SSTaA and I've put-off landing on Duna because it's always "had my number ".

JGFDNKu.png

After many crashes trying fly or paraglide the aircraft in, I've decided on a 2 stage landing.   Normal flight for reentry and upper atmosphere, then translating to a vertical decent to the surface.  The trick with this is timing the pitch to horizontal at the last minute to land on the wheels.  Something that is very easy on low gravity bodies, but pretty fraught on Duna.

LKQQT5t.png

As you can see... things did not go perfectly.  So I decided to try to land tripod style on the loading ramp and tail.  Amazingly, this works pretty well; the tail is very flexible and the ramp is extremely strong and rigid.  I wanted to do some drop tests to fine tune the arrangement and find the upper limits of the design.  I slowly increased the height of the drop until the craft could land impact at 12m/s without any damage.  Then the weight of the fuel load was increased.  Until...

3BNMnGH.png

...the limits of the runway were found!  

Yeah I guess that will do then...  Closing the cargo ramp flops the craft onto its wheels.

7iOP4MO.png

Edited by Exothermos

4 hours ago, JadeOfMaar said:

Sorry dude but what you're looking for isn't on Squad's red planet. It's all over the place, however, on Galileo's as clearly written below. :wink: Actual biome names are actual.

No matter. I'll just hunt for green spice instead.

Anyone got good electric propeller ideas?

Launched another module to the space station - this time it's habitation space and electricity. The contract needed me to have room for seven Kerbals, and I needed power for the lab to start processing that sweet, sweet data, so I launched both modules in one go, using my newly christened SLS-Block 33T rocket.

Launch:

tk05IFr.jpg

Circulirization:

PoDjLsL.jpg

I ditched the first stage with 30 seconds of my burn left, and got into a round 120x120 orbit. And so, I began the long and tedious process of telling Mechjeb to get me a rendezvous with minimum deltaV requirements. After a successful rendezvous, I ditched the OMS stage and docked with the station, called Zemlya, russian for Earth.

Docking:

7rcFMiO.jpg

De-orbiting the OMS:

DpguLT8.jpg

ptZ9j88.jpg

And a successful landing. I'm slowly catching up with SpaceX. Elon Musk, watch your back, the Kerbal Aeronautics and Space Administration is going to step in the spotlight now!

gje0Pq3.jpg

CYlvOCx.jpg

I also built a science van, and drove it around the KSC, and the monolith, collecting all that science. Sadly, I flipped over outside R&D. :-(

EsMCLIe.jpg

(1.1.3) In RL, the moving continues. Bought a washer, dryer and lawn mower on Saturday; definitely going to hold my wife to the promise she made me when we got engaged: if we ever have a house, she's doing all the yard work.

Totally.

Did sneak in some time to play on Friday and during my final visit to a laundromat on Saturday (a ritual I've been doing each Saturday for close to two decades now), mainly conducting surface excursions to Mün from the Munport space station aboard the refitted Spamcan 7a lander. On Friday, pilots Shelbal and Raysy Kerman along with scientists Hargard and Tamry Kerman went down for the second of four planned excursions to the Münar surface to plant flags before returning safely to Munport, completing the expeditions based out of the ferry ship Next Objective currently docked at the station, with one key exception: rescuee scientist Kelbus Kerman had, despite earlier reports, not planted a flag during the time that he was being bounced around by the crane rover MIRV hauling the Spamcan prior to its refit (that particular flag-planting got reverted, apparently). Kelbus was duly scheduled for another landing, in this case for the final Münar excursion. Friday closed out with preparations to send down the third excursion, loading a new batch of Kerbals from the ferry ship Strange Cargo also docked at the station and refueling the Spamcan. The third excursion took place on Saturday: scientists Natanie and Calcan Kerman along with pilots Donfurt and Burmon Kerman went down, planted flags and returned safely to the station. The Spamcan was refueled one more time and scientists Sidbrett, Patzor and Kelbus Kerman were loaded aboard. That expedition met near disaster due to me hitting the wrong key initially to conduct the suicide burn; the lander struck the surface at 9 m/s, bounced and flipped. Fortunately, the large SAS wheel was able to get it uprighted again before it came back down, which was a good thing since the landing site was well over a hundred kilometers from the Piper Alpha refinery and MIRV (it was within fifteen kilometers of the rover Merv Griffin). Despite this near mishap, the three scientists were able to conduct their flag planting mission and return safely to Munport. All Kerbals were reloaded aboard their respective ferries and sufficient remaining fuel was transferred to Next Objective for it to be able to depart the station immediately. I will be sending Next Objective on to Minmus, her next port of call, later today. I do not know if sufficient fuel remains for a complete refuel of Strange Cargo, and if not I will also begin making fuel runs with the station's Old Bessie fuel lander later today. Time permitting, of course.

*Sniff* I am sad to say that the Red spice mothership had a major design flaw, it get flipping forward because of the displaced center of mass... So I have to sadly discontinue it...

Luckily, I got its successor into orbit...

hEuhWT7.png

The Red Spice Mk2!

It contains a lander with over 2.5Km's of Delta V inside it. The mothership herself has 3720 meters of Delta V inside, which is more than enough to do a round trip to Duna...

NDaGxdX.png

The lander was safely tested in a Duna simulation. Which by the way, was quite glitchy, although I didn't bother to fix the glitches because they are sacred and belong to the lord the Kraken.

jyEotJ2.png

Ahhh the beauty of test flights...

aXzBM4r.jpg

YkgcSoc.jpg

I tested out some more Constellation technology. I'm amazed by how well I managed to balance the Corvus landers with so little effort; the center of mass in both the habitat and the DAV lander ended up being dead center with very little manipulation of the mass distribution.

Edited by eloquentJane

I recently sent a combined mission to Duna in my much delayed career game, that put a manned vehicle down to the surface, placed a contract satellite to Ike and positioned a comms relay in orbit.

This comms relay allowed a probe that was sent earlier to actually land (instead of being stuck in orbit) on Duna as well.

The full package braking into Duna orbit.

Zn0T62F.png

Detaching the Ike satellite during the braking maneuver. Just gave a short burst on the satellite's engine to push it clear of the main vehicle, as it was no longer on an escape trajectory at this point.

pf6AElL.png

Comms relay in Duna orbit

Df9XfPH.png

The Ike satellite, after the contractual "10 seconds of stability" went down the to surface for some extra science points.

mIC70UC.png

Manned landing was made on Duna and an overnight stay allowed for a view of dawn on the red planet.

pTeAWLF.png

Lift off from the surface was during a dust storm.

1vY1iAw.png

tV0yWrb.png

The probe that had been stranded for a couple of years in orbit finally made it down to the surface, but not without a further mishap. Fortunately there was no damage and full science data was sent back to Kerbin

ScQq2I2.png

The manned lander reuniting with the return vehicle... now the ships' sole occupant is waiting for the return window to Kerbin

42WlVs7.png

Edited by purpleivan

xKrWJPI.png

"The first step on Duna is not a kerbal, but all Kerbals..."

My first ever successful mission to Duna! I have landed and returned to the mothership and have discarded the lander, which will spend its final moments smashing into the red planet. A memorial flag has been planted and the mothership has 1.6 Km's of Delta V!

Edited by Planetace

Feature creep has set in on my upcoming Jool mission, making it ever bigger and more complex.

One massively overbuilt lander for the smaller moons.

6eISuc0.png

One massively overbuilt Laythe spaceplane that can do a Jool-4 mission on its own, and maybe with some tweaking even a Jool-5.

oxdIlFC.png

Felt like I needed a regular plane for Laythe as well.

9ftVdjB.png

And of course, then you need a rover that can refuel said plane.

2r9Elys.png

... and since I had some room left in the spaceplane's cargo hold I stuffed one of these in there because of ... reasons.

y8afWjh.png

Not today but yesterday, I started the day by witnessing the future now, did some Kerbal stuff, added an update to my latest mission report series, then brought it all full circle by buying a truck that predates the Moon landing:

qrfF4yw.jpg

(1968 GMC 3/4 ton)

I feel like a time traveler. :cool:

19 hours ago, eddiew said:

In many ways, this planet is a trap. 0.75g is almost as bad as Tylo, and the 0.5 atmospheric pressure is both a blessing and curse since you can indeed use parachutes... but you'll suffer a lot of drag losses on the way back, especially if you're an idiot and use a flat topped object like the Spiceweasel lander. And yes, yes, it's basically a rechristened version of the Desertfox that did Niven at 3.2x.

(laughs) Yes, exactly .... I was the idiot.
You surely read what it was like.
I underestimated Gratian, thought it was just another Duna Planet. In your game of 3.2 times the size is certainly much more extreme..

Greetings