What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

On 6/3/2017 at 11:34 PM, NISSKEPCSIM said:

Hi guys! Now, I am currently testing out concepts for a reusable 1st rocket stage using FMRS, and here's my dilemma: I've tried SpaceX style, and I don't have enough for a boost-back RTLS. (I don't want to change my base expendable rocket so much that it's unrecognisable)

I tried adding huge shuttle-like wings and sea floats to the booster, to land it into the ocean for a safe splashdown and recovery. But, my fuel tank kind of... I experienced a rapid unplanned disassembly, to say the least. And, also, the floats stick out so much that, if it were a real rocket, they would be sheared off during ascent.

So, right now I'm toying around with ESA Adeline-style concepts, but I'm also looking for alternatives. I took a look at the ULA's Vulcan, but they don't specify on how they're going to recover it - so I would like some suggestions for other reusable 1st stage please!

My solution to a similar problem was to not attach the first stage to the rear of the second stage but to the roof and floor. This way you can manage the CoM and the CoL easier. My first stages were big enough to (barely) reach orbit, so I could deorbit and land them near the KSC using parachutes (and the Trajectories mod).

1 hour ago, Luovahulluus said:

My solution to a similar problem was to not attach the first stage to the rear of the second stage but to the roof and floor. This way you can manage the CoM and the CoL easier. My first stages were big enough to (barely) reach orbit, so I could deorbit and land them near the KSC using parachutes (and the Trajectories mod).

If you look on the previous page, you'll see that I've already got a working booster now in service. But cool suggestion. :)

2 minutes ago, Julien Kerman said:

Today I landed a second Lander Probe on the surface of the moon.

8Z2zQux.jpg

Well, technically this is a landing, right?

Yes, always, better than many of the first real ones. Impactors.....LOL. Heck you actually remembered to extend the solar panels unlike some early US missions.

Just now, JadeOfMaar said:

I see what you did there. Speaking of, I have things that need to get there and send back pics for posting.

I was aghast at the dad joke name I first gave it.  (peeweeball)  I'll size it up to Little Leagues(200t), then Minor Leagues(500t) and finally Major Leagues (1kton)

1.3 restarting with Merkury program. After several unmanned test flights Valentina Kerbin launches on first sub-orbital flight.

Single boost stage, 3117m/s DV, Flight AP 95km

Primary Mods: Ven's Stock Revamp, FASA launch clamps (50% scale), SETI Probe Core

Edited by Tyko

Continued the 3x resize gameplay... got tired of how many trips my ISRU tanker was taking to refuel the shuttles for Duna and Rald:

2mpAkyh.png

Unlike yesterday when I made a bigger ISRU craft for Mun and launched it on a disposable launcher, I decided to put my current large cargo SSTO to the limit, I hadn't actually reached the limit on payload dimensions, and launching mostly empty tanks is fine... but I figured I'd launch full tanks... surely if I could get off the ground and get supersonic, I'd end up with more fuel in orbit because of a higher fuel fraction, right?

Well, just spawning on the runway was a challenge:

4MHUAfp.png

I was almost ready to start spamming struts, or drain fuel from the payload tanks, but some tweaking of the angle that the craft spawns, some spring strength settings, and a lot of fiddling with autostrutting, and I was on my way to space:

6sFNWm8.png

sHVKG5B.png

p0C3N6S.png

4eQzwNA.png

LtcNBIN.png

(redocked)

Spoiler

XprCIi2.png

My fuel surplus was basically the same as when I've started with much less fuel. The added aero drag and reduced TWR ate up all the extra fuel. I could have done just as well launching with the payload tanks mostly empty.

Anyway, this craft is a pure tanker, no ISRU on it. I broke up my surface base:

Spoiler

mlORqbN.png

7Oe1gkZ.png

And just took one module that could support a kerbal (for an engineer bonus), and the miner/ ISRU, and hooked it up to my tanker:

Ph5gXYr.png

but then I decided to put the whole thing together while it refueled the tanker:

jNCY8La.png

My last landing of the mk3 cargo ship was the worst, its not in most of these shots because I landed it 140 meters away... I suppose I could hop it closer.

nbWqVbH.png

I also finished setting up my com network for kerbin, and handled some other refueling operations... 

Edited by KerikBalm

Went to Pol. Now figuring out ow to do the other moons. Bop has low gravity, so I'm not so worried. But Tylo and Vall do, so its hard to land especially since I have minimal oxidizer....

Any tips?

7F2kIXe.png

Edited by qzgy

I made my WORST mistake ever today. So ridiculous and dumb that I still wonder how it could have happened...

Being an off-day I decided to restart the work on my 1.2.1-made shuttle, the X-22A. I quickly saw that nothing seems problematic as I already made two test flights with her months ago. She just was a bit unstable, so in that case let's go for a new flight. But no, not a simple orbital flight, let's go to Minmus! Without any other test! (:confused:)

h8qmtYY.png

Such a beautiful umpteenth day for a flight! Samus Kerman got the honor to flew it.

OprWjmv.png

The climbing was pretty "normal", nothing to note apart of unpleasant tendency of being really reactive to the commands.

0IB2Sxb.png

jb4XVd6.png

Separation of the first stage and circularization at 200 km. At this point the spacecraft got around 2.9 km/s available.

WN0btEg.png

RDzYVZi.png

FNLJ2o4.png

On the way to Minmus.

HETdvr7.png

YMU0Hhg.png

Once again the orbital angle around the mint-ball was not pleasant for the returning trip.

b52UAxr.png

sZwecC1.png

i1TfNXB.png

Return to Kerbin with still enough fuel to realize a last circularization. Even if the craft is light I was not about to risk a direct re-entry.

DFa3j5F.png

MAgdXPT.png

One last maneuver and five minutes later Samus started feel the temperature rising in the cockpit...

reCUnnU.png

7w1VRjL.png

Controls were terrific at this point. After having slowed down enough with the whole surface the nose has to be lowered slowly to evade a flip but every single tap on the arrow keys immediately affect the craft comportment. It forced to control it only by making some quick and light tapping.

pjOp004.png

vDInhoh.png

KSC runway overshot... that's a trademark. Usually I would have re-routed to the Island airfield but as I equipped the X-22A with a "Juno" turbojet for some "powered gliding" the decision was to go back to turn back to the Space Center.

O6WbjSA.png

XBUAAhb.png

The "Juno" was so helpful. Being so low in fuel was not a problem for its low consumption and the craft was so light at this time that it was able to fly instead of gliding.

Then the ultimate shame happened...

fSPiRws.png

"Gear down and loc..." (...) "nose gear... WHERE IS THE NOSE GEAR?!!"

S0GFPhz.png

Too low and too late to go around and find a solution. Samus HAD to land!

hIIJ0ES.png

Easy, eeeeaaasyyyyy...

BK8BDM6.png

INHBtru.png

It probably my softest landing ever.

OsRvytz.png

Not using the gears brakes probably help too to make the nose touch as gently as possible.

lLiHGXJ.png

Well done Samus!

I still don't understand what happened here. I still convinced that I haven't forgotten the nose gear when building it in 1.2.1... and once in the VAB it was possible to see that no gear were installed.

Anyway I never felt so stupid in KSP than today at the time the landing gear lowered!

1 hour ago, XB-70A said:

-snip giant post-

lLiHGXJ.png

Well done Samus!

First class piloting there.

Second-class engineering, but first-class piloting.

Played almost no KSP today, most of it spent making my Real Fuels-Karbonite patch more elegant. The converters now produce heat (drills not yet, dangit I'll have to do that tomorrow now that I actually understand most of it), and everything is properly normalized to part mass.

Otherwise, in the past about-a-week, I've:

Landed Kerbals on Iota and Ceti

z27zPWs.png

Landed a probe on Tellumo after a harrowing, 30.6G, "I did not know the slightest thing about its atmosphere" descent

gK8Sqpv.png

More scope pics, some from the new Augustus telescope (yes, named after the poster who's making his own 6" telescope)

aSlfKKm.png

In the name of SCIENCE!:

3CA2FB84A6D2DC5798ADBB7ADDF4D02004BA47D28B8D2918B9BD1D5AF0EF0CEDCBFD83FD5DD5A32389C288412353125341D5EC1B973A520C128E126EB55F8990BB07DE9897A6B2AA77E92C4248F873EC55FF2A2EF001B754763E7488D188C09FB4FB60DA9AA7A30D5C8E9880FFF94292FD6E9F1AC141A4AABEC95C705719AC854BC6CC5DE1C7FCC908B0C822

Also, new rules:

- Jeb and/or Bill do not get to have an opinion on what constitutes "science"

- "Truth or Dare" is no longer allowed as an activity participated in by KSC personnel, guests, pets, or otherwise anywhere on KSC grounds

Carry on.

-Jn-

3 hours ago, XB-70A said:

I made my WORST mistake ever today. So ridiculous and dumb that I still wonder how it could have happened...

Being an off-day I decided to restart the work on my 1.2.1-made shuttle, the X-22A. I quickly saw that nothing seems problematic as I already made two test flights with her months ago. She just was a bit unstable, so in that case let's go for a new flight. But no, not a simple orbital flight, let's go to Minmus! Without any other test! (:confused:)

h8qmtYY.png

Such a beautiful umpteenth day for a flight! Samus Kerman got the honor to flew it.

OprWjmv.png

The climbing was pretty "normal", nothing to note apart of unpleasant tendency of being really reactive to the commands.

0IB2Sxb.png

jb4XVd6.png

Separation of the first stage and circularization at 200 km. At this point the spacecraft got around 2.9 km/s available.

WN0btEg.png

RDzYVZi.png

FNLJ2o4.png

On the way to Minmus.

HETdvr7.png

YMU0Hhg.png

Once again the orbital angle around the mint-ball was not pleasant for the returning trip.

b52UAxr.png

sZwecC1.png

i1TfNXB.png

Return to Kerbin with still enough fuel to realize a last circularization. Even if the craft is light I was not about to risk a direct re-entry.

DFa3j5F.png

MAgdXPT.png

One last maneuver and five minutes later Samus started feel the temperature rising in the cockpit...

reCUnnU.png

7w1VRjL.png

Controls were terrific at this point. After having slowed down enough with the whole surface the nose has to be lowered slowly to evade a flip but every single tap on the arrow keys immediately affect the craft comportment. It forced to control it only by making some quick and light tapping.

pjOp004.png

vDInhoh.png

KSC runway overshot... that's a trademark. Usually I would have re-routed to the Island airfield but as I equipped the X-22A with a "Juno" turbojet for some "powered gliding" the decision was to go back to turn back to the Space Center.

O6WbjSA.png

XBUAAhb.png

The "Juno" was so helpful. Being so low in fuel was not a problem for its low consumption and the craft was so light at this time that it was able to fly instead of gliding.

Then the ultimate shame happened...

fSPiRws.png

"Gear down and loc..." (...) "nose gear... WHERE IS THE NOSE GEAR?!!"

S0GFPhz.png

Too low and too late to go around and find a solution. Samus HAD to land!

hIIJ0ES.png

Easy, eeeeaaasyyyyy...

BK8BDM6.png

INHBtru.png

It probably my softest landing ever.

OsRvytz.png

Not using the gears brakes probably help too to make the nose touch as gently as possible.

lLiHGXJ.png

Well done Samus!

I still don't understand what happened here. I still convinced that I haven't forgotten the nose gear when building it in 1.2.1... and once in the VAB it was possible to see that no gear were installed.

Anyway I never felt so stupid in KSP than today at the time the landing gear lowered!

Dude, we all love you, but 27 images in one post.....

(Not gonna remove quoted pics, to much work.)

I've made a smaller hybrid helicopter based on the 77I- Azi24 Cronus, because I don't always need a stock helicopter with the length of a 747. Same engines (Asura II, 50 blowers per engine) but shorter, less wide and obviously less parts. While the Cronus is able to lift at least 65t cargo, this one might be able to haul even heavier stuff and is faster because it uses cargo bays instead of fuselage plating. We'll know for sure later, this is the first flight test.

Last night in KSP I built two SSTOs entirely from OPT parts.

The first one is a somewhat replica of a streamer's all-stock SSTO freighter. I didn't go all out on cosmetics but functionally it's very similar. I even made sure it struggles paces slow and steady on ascent like a stock ship, but I forget if it's rated for payloads weighing 50 tons or 110 tons. Mine's rated for 60 tons.

The second SSTO is a prototype.......

wITKycK.jpg

Oh. There was plenty of GPP dev stuff too.

Edited by JadeOfMaar