What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

Played around with tweakscale, may have overdone it a small bityB0NUj9.jpg

Maybe I'll get hangar extender and make one the size of the runway...yeah, good plan

The biggest one is only 224m long, and just below 4,000 tons. For comparison, the largest existing aircraft carrier is 332m long

(They're not flying, they're floating, the shadows are acting up)

Edited by Skylon

Duna is an annoying planet. It's easy enough that you can have other design goals than just functionality. There is an atmosphere that makes most landers unusable, but the atmosphere is too thin for reasonable planes.

This time I launched a fairly simple mission: boosters, a lower stage, an upper/transfer stage, and a lander/return ship. The fairing looks a bit weird, as it's actually two separate fairings.

Spoiler

duna_tower_1.jpeg

The lander has a weird tower for no real reason.

duna_tower_2.jpeg

The inflatable heat shield is a useful airbrake for Duna landers.

duna_tower_3.jpeg

Jeb, Bob, and Val are posing, while Bill repacks the parachutes in the tower.

duna_tower_4.jpeg

Bob also went to see the giant face. Most of my recent missions have been visiting the easter eggs I haven't bothered to visit before.

Spoiler

duna_tower_5.jpeg

Back on Kerbin. The tower lander works quite well during reentry and has more than enough parachutes for a safe landing.

Spoiler

duna_tower_6.jpeg

6 hours ago, Bornholio said:

As they should, that thing needs big nuclear power, solars not gonna cut it and even then they are cheaty. not that cheaty is bad.

I think, I actually had a nuke, but not the largest one. I needed more batteries indeed to buffer. I ended up lowering the power usage anyway.

A Mun mission, how original! Doubling the size of Kerbin, making the days 24hrs and the atmosphere 105km ... had some impact on my acquired building and launching skills, how little they have been anyway. So, my crafts require a bit more size and tend to fly the way they want ... Jeb made the call to land despite the fact the remaining 100 m/s would never be enough to return home. (Yes, it was Jeb!!!) Next step will be sending a supply drone with enough food and energy storing capacity to survive the upcoming Munar night of three days. Until we have researched enough tech to send a viable rescue mission, as the drone suffers from the same planning and flying issues of not having enough dV after the landing to simply refuel the Mun vehicle. Oh my ...

I crashed a Mun lander. For the first time in quite a while. In fairness, I did manage to save the crew, but the landing stage needs about 150m/s more delta-v if I want to be safe. It was only because I was trying to do a precision landing at one of the easter eggs, but that consumed more fuel than I had accounted for. The good news is that the Kerbalism stuff works perfectly.

I got my shuttle to glide reasonably well with a 50 ton payload in the cargo bay. Would have landed it if I hadn't somehow managed to forget to attach the main gear again after messing with the wings. So it went in the drink. No pics. :(

Also I'm trying to send an offering to the dead Kraken on Bop. I brought its favorite snack! Fresh*, toasty, RTGs!

Unfortunately I underestimated the delta v required to maneuver** around Bop (probably the first time anyone's managed to do that), and so I only just managed to crash-land at 27m/s nearish to the Kraken (funny note: the steel plate for the RTGs saved me). Now I'm slowly hopping my way across the hilly surface towards the Kraken using the reaction wheels. I hope the great one will overlook the damage to the squiddy lander's looks in light of the effort I'm taking to get there. :D

KZZY5UR.jpg

*Well, as fresh as you can expect out at Jool. :P

**If I had known from the get go exactly where the Kraken was, I probably could have pulled it off. Ended up doing two fairly expensive plane change maneuvers to get to the area due to an unclear map.

1 hour ago, Servo said:

I took another pass on my F-14, completely redesigning it for functionality and looks. 

TBWlQAh.png

I think I did a pretty darn good job.

vOZFVgY.png

Now go buzz some towers! :D Don't forget to flip off some MiGs! :sticktongue:

13 hours ago, Triop said:

♪♫♬ Highway to the dangerzone. ♪♫♬

eAy49YB.png

ka3c5Gl.png

Damn, I really like that paint job :o. You nailed the MiG-28 look! 

Edited by TheDARKOMETER

It was time to clean up the space near Kerbin. I launched a few deorbiters to get rid of the debris that earlier launches had left in orbit.

debris_cleanup_1.jpeg

KSP physics go weird, if you release the pivot of the klaw for reentry.

debris_cleanup_2.jpeg

The Mammoth acted as a heat shield for most of the reentry, before ultimately exploding and releasing the deorbiter.

Spoiler

debris_cleanup_3.jpeg

The deorbiter survived the reentry...

Spoiler

debris_cleanup_4.jpeg

...but not the landing. The craft bounced off the ground a few times, losing new parts every time, until only the klaw was left. It didn't look exactly right, though.

debris_cleanup_5.jpeg

1 hour ago, Skylon said:

Download? That looks great

He's going to race the thing in DMP he says. I'll wait with uploading until he doesn't need it anymore :-)

You can try this one if you like: https://kerbalx.com/Azimech/77I--Lowell-Can-Am-racer-1969-10

4 hours ago, Mikki said:

I made a heavy lift chopper, 18 tons to the VAB roof:

u93I1ip.png

It has precise maneuvering:

T23BAKo.png

and huge power overall:

REB9463.png

What is the power source and why are the engine pods mounted on klaws?

9 hours ago, Servo said:

I took another pass on my F-14, completely redesigning it for functionality and looks. 

I think I did a pretty darn good job.

You did!

Edited by Azimech