Xeldrak

What did you do in KSP today?

JadeOfMaar    3193
Posted (edited)

Today I installed Airplane Plus and diagnosed someone's prop plane, and experienced the awesome of small prop planes. :) Later I built a Konkorde from Airplane Plus and OPT. It goes up to Mach 6 on just two OPT engines and seems promising that it can do a lap or two around the planet, but the Airplane Plus cockpit can't take that heat. It has to cruise at just over 100m/s to keep its nose up. There's even plenty cargo space!

UR4g6RJ.jpg

F5fBEXG.jpg yL5WmEy.jpg

Edited by JadeOfMaar

Haruspex    237

To celebrate the crew of the Jool-5 expedition earning their veteran orange suits on return to Kerbin, flew them to the North Pole and restored an ancient flag there that fell over at some point after the game physics update.

Rest well, Jeb, Bill and Bob, long gone to the distant stars, but not forgotten. Roley, Kenlan and Tangy will carry your banner forth to Eeloo and beyond!

Yjto0sz.jpg

ptr421    41
Posted (edited)

Launched a Venus (hopefully) lander. Got bored of building a new LV every 2-3 missions, this time I'm sticking to my Atlas-ish (engine and performance-wise, not staging) rocket and only switch upper stages when necessary. 400kg to Venus is on its limit, maybe a bit beyond, so I added a solid kick motor just to be sure.

BJ4X8Je.png

Spoiler

TE7ma8d.png

voaG3wM.png

ziBU5QA.png

Had some precession trouble, but after an obligatory 25m/s burn just outside of Earth's SOI I have a good encounter and a 400km periapsis. The probe itself has about 250 m/s, so no hope of ever entering orbit. Hopefully I'm coming from the right side. 

Edited by ptr421

straped for cash I took about ten tourists to orbit with Jeb.

All at once. 

The sheer weight of the monstrosity of two hitchhikers and a mark 1.2 meant the speed was extremely high even from orbit with re-entry burn. The parachutes didn't deploy until about 500M above the water. 

linuxgurugamer    5574

Worked on a new mod called The Kaptains Log.  Will do automatic logging of events, has a manual mode entry, will allow display of logs using various filters.

will be demoing it tomorrow evening on Twitch.

I got stuff setup for going to Duna and coming back on monopropellant. No pics yet. Will probably involve 3 launches due to the horrible payload fraction and lag-limited size of monopropellant rockets from Kerbin.

Space shuttle is currently sitting in the VAB at the ready while I work out the circularization burn angle equation for it's launch script. I was going to have an equation to find the orbit path acceleration towards Kerbin and directly cancel out that, but just now while I was typing this I had the idea go through my head to use a PID loop. :)

2017-07-14%2021-10-55.png

Cyclic script for helis is just about done. Probably could have tested and finished it today, but I just really did not feel like debugging it.

So I mucked around with non-script-assisted helis a bit. Almost crashed into the VAB.

2017-07-15%2017-07-26.png

Also designed a sleek new turboprop engine that will probably benefit from the collective/constant-speed-prop script I've already finished. I think it will only be usable in opposing pairs though as it generates nearly a meganewton-meter of torque. :confused:

2017-07-15%2021-53-47.png

Then again I haven't tested it yet, so it might just explode. :P

qzgy    1748
1 hour ago, EpicSpaceTroll139 said:

2017-07-15%2021-53-47.png

Then again I haven't tested it yet, so it might just explode. :P

Looks real neat. But whatever you use it on will be a monstrosity.

kerbinorbiter    293
Posted (edited)

ALLREADY!!!

I was booster for ISEA's latest mission-RSAT-1E it was awsome but we had a problem with GTO insert burn @Florid Monkey shut down the engines and i didnt notice on my telemetry 

Edited by kerbinorbiter

NSEP    2887
9 hours ago, kerbinorbiter said:

@NSEP craft file?

No. Not now.

kerbinorbiter    293

can i ask about some of its specs like what mods it uses because ISEA is seroiously considering using that LV

MiffedStarfish    907

More set pieces for Troubled Waters.

pskaKdM.jpg

M7cWlMK.png

8W0gJjm.jpg

Looks like i have to give my pilots some close formation flying training...

Gameslinx    879

w8k3vdn95u9z.jpg

Sorted out this thing

KerikBalm    1524
Posted (edited)

Most of this was outside of KSP, but after updating scatterer to 1.3, I decided to update my mod planets as well.

So scatterer oceans are back to rald:

taEODtI.png

I may want to make the water more choppy, but for now its nice

And then I removed that mod and went back to my "Dying Duna" mod which thicken's Duna's atmosphere, adds O2, and ocean, and signs of life:

BjN9W3T.png

1NGkUee.png

pLGaINy.png

And some earlier shots when the ocean was a bit bluer:

Spoiler

lYYerQz.png

Cd9AulT.png

pbVSQzb.png

5xnTypy.png

vrstrFZ.png

*Edit* All pics from a 3x resize mode (Sigma's - he also helped me solve problems in these mods). I recommend playing such a resize mod particularly if you want to give Duna some O2... otherwise you'll find airbreathers very OP on duna

Edited by KerikBalm

Julien Kerman    592

Launched the rest of the voyager probes, Voyager 2, 5 and 6.

Voyager 2 failed again and got an useless Jupiter encounter due to the imprecisely kicker SRB stage:

6QyHcgx.jpg

bcJ6y6I.jpg

Voyager 5 performed perfectly, I decided to go from Jupiter directly to Uranus instead of flying by Saturn first:

D7Kk90j.jpg

tQD6yAb.jpg

For Voyager 6 I planned to use Jupiter in order to get to Pluto, like the New Horizons probe did. But Pluto is not yet in the right position, so I took a Jupiter --> Saturn maneuver:

Uqqde1w.jpg

kXtsc7W.jpg

TheEpicSquared    1885

Didn't do much in KSP itself, instead spent time modeling for a mod I'm planning: edtcdip.jpg

That's an attempt for an inline Mk-55 Thud engine. Could definitely use some improvement. I think the throat is way too small, so that could use some improvement. Also, I'm using the online version of Sketchup, because it doesn't lag, unlike the desktop version, and I can access my designs from different laptops.

I'll export it to Blender for texturing. My mod will also include inline versions of popular radial parts, like RTGs and the Puff. Haven't thought of a name yet, but it probably will be something like InlineAdditions or something. 

gilflo    140

My trip to Laythe in one go with starEagle, an OPT SSTO Seaplane of 1031T

. After the Reckon Sat launch and scan of Lathe, we entered the atmosphere and ditch safely near an oOe mining site, with our explorer aircraft stowed on the deck. Explorer aircraft will be soon launched from theStarEagle deck while on sea and then both aircrafts will land on the mining site.

Screens and vids

KerbMav    918
Posted (edited)

I've been busy.

Our station must grow even more, still parts/equipment missing to go full on Orbital Science!
Had to use an autonomous science package drone to assist with docking the new module - shaky, but works.

Xxjalln.png

Being able to name docking ports makes the Docking Port Alignment Indicator mod even more useful and easy to use!

YqVQOZr.png

Edgel removed some RCS thrusters that are no longer needed and glued them onto the transport that brought up the new module and will burn up in a few hours.

TWDjIoH.png

Started to downsize my standard Heavy Lifter to safe some funds - also ...

P92mmhM.png

... used one rocket for two contracted probes: A Space Telescope and an Asteroid Sentinel.

h8Rw77o.png

Practicing gravity assists, a little Mun ballet to push the transport into a fitting orbit for the telescope.

QvmfWY5.pngR9Uv4bh.pngAFOX5Q3.png

For the Sentinel I found a nice push out of the system - by pure luck! Originally I wanted to wait until the orbit "moved" into position by Kerbin rotating for half a year, but this right here will put me close to Eve's orbit. (Somehow someone thinks it is the best orbit to look for asteroids threatening Kerbin - hopefully the big pink marble will not swallow it ... )

mzUHMN2.png

And I set up to burns for my oscillating polar relays - I use them to always have one relay unobstructed by any of Kerbin's moons, but the signal delay can get high when they are the only ones in range, so I will lower their AP from 110 to 40 Gm ...

VCSvBNv.png

Edited by KerbMav

Zeiss Ikon    197
Posted (edited)

Kerbonaut Returns to Kerbin After Delivering Tank to Asteroid Fuel Station

Sigemy Kerman, last reported en route from Kerbin to Fuel Station Valentina Alpha, has returned safely to Kerbin.

After three days in space, Sigemy reached the Fuel Station and expertly docked his vessel (consisting, by that time, of a nearly empty tank with Vernor RCS and the return stage) with the primary port on the existing Fuel Station.  Staying just long enough to greet Station crew Maltrey and Magcella (pilot and engineer, respectively) and oversee the extention of the new tank's twenty-four solar panels, Sigemy then decoupled his return stage and, after a short wait to reach periapsis, burned to return to Kerbin.  An uneventful reentry and splashdown completed the mission for Sigemy.

Still stationed at the Fuel Station, Magcella ensured maximum efficiency in operation of the fuel converter and drill, while Maltrey waited.  A mere five days later, Nye Island relayed the communication from orbit: "Asteroid used up, tanks 85% full.  Send return ship."

A milestone had been marked -- discounting some inefficiency (due to the conversion station being partly powered by fuel cells using the same fuel and oxidizer the converter produced from the asteroid ore), more than eight hundred tonnes of asteroid ore had been converted into fuel/oxidizer, leaving less than two hundred tonnes of useless rock behind.

The Space Agency has announced that they will not attempt to move this experimental station to another asteroid for further conversion work.  Now that the proof of concept has been demonstrated, more efficient fuel conversion stations with better crew accommodations can be constructed (the Agency spokesKerbal did not comment on the rumored handling problems of the fueling station during its flight from low Kerbin orbit to the captured asteroid).  In addition, the spokesKerbal continued, there is reason to believe ore can be found on the Mun and on Minmus, in larger quantities and with fewer problems compared to capturing asteroids and parking them in Kerbin Orbit.  Future asteroid missions will be limited to scientific exploration and, when necessary, diversion of hazardous bodies away from Kerbin.

(Apparently, Imgur doesn't want people actually using images posted there any more than Photobucket does, because they broke embedding again -- I'm going to just paste in the album link.)

http://imgur.com/a/x102I

Edited by Zeiss Ikon
Imgur linking broken again.

Geonovast    178

Moved my refueling depot to The Mun for reasons I'm not too sure about yet.

Screenshotat20170716.png

Also visited Minmus finally.

ab9Screenshotat20170716.png

selfish_meme    1961
On 7/15/2017 at 8:25 PM, ARS said:

So that's why last time I tried to launch a rocket it's very hard to correct it's heading while SRBs is still burning, and when it's finally jettisoned, my rocket suddenly flips and leads to Unplanned Disassembly :P. Anyway, thanks for the info! :)

That said, the pathfinder Mars missions were transferred with an SRB, because SRB's last in space and are simple. https://mars.nasa.gov/mer/mission/launch_stage3.html I did that with my Pathfinder mission but it's hard to calculate and I ended up with monoprop engines to do the course correction and fill any deficit

Corscaria    49

After a while away from KSP I came back to find KSP crashing on startup due to one or more of my mods being incompatible with the latest update. So I started over losing my nearly completed massive coreless stanford torus station... Oh well.... I built a "Long Range" Science vessel with lander, that turned out to not be so long range.... I parked the ship on Minmus for later retrieval...

GBjJZrG.png

Then, I built a mobile fuel factory/refueling station for Minmus. It's mostly stock parts. The mod parts are an OPT capsule, and MAERDA docking port/dual mode engines. It's capable of VTOL into minmus orbit on the RCS alone to refuel those ships that can't safely land on minmus for refueling. I forgot to add some mono tanks, so it'll just have to manufacture the mono as needed.

GBjkYJ8.png

Still working on picking out my new mods. Wish I could get the panopticon pod for the latest KSP...

TheDARKOMETER    228

Made an F-15 and flew it in KSP's version of the Mach Loop. I got FAR installed, got the hang of FAR and I have to say, the aerodynamics are really better.

2N87d3S.png

Spot the difference xD :D

maxresdefault.jpg

sfwcEUb.png

qtDf1kV.png

Tested the new version of my Shuttle launch script. I left out the bit that adjusts engine thrusts depending on payload induced COM shifts, so the flight lasted an amazing 1 minute, 40 seconds from launch to touchdown.

2017-07-16%2020-32-39.png

2017-07-16%2020-35-31.png

XB-70A    1445

Relay ComSat at the program today. Destination : Moho, where I didn't went since 1.0.5 but for the first time without staying on a parking orbit for months (...).

wakd0sL.png

I decided to use Alliance-3 (a terrible Soyuz-3 project wannabe) launcher for that flight as it's launching cost of 34 000 would make the whole flight pretty cheap.

A092KgH.png

Yes, once again the typical Korolev cross was here! Being at a speed of approx 450 m/s after 50 sec Moho Express kept on climbing, now softly propelled by the single Reliant and four Thud of its second stage.

HgcQIjz.png

Nothing problematic here. The acceleration appeared to be much more soft than what was expected but still sufficient to place the Ap at 280 km...

dEvJCOj.png

... before the third stage took over the work for less than a second.

Qeffh2i.png

Then 14 min later started the immediate acceleration to leave Kerbin's orbit and the transfer to Moho.

ObHp0fi.png

bIlkDyZ.png

Third stage empty after having make 3/4 of the work. Approximately 800 m/s were still needed to completed the whole transfer window.

vshWhe5.png

orp0swp.png

Two days later we were peacefully leaving Kerbin SoI for the real beginning of the adventure. Alas a small burn still was needed on the 21st day to place the Pe for Moho at 205 km. Just 65 days remaining made it the fastest flight to the planet for me I think. With approx 4 km/s of dV still available I hope everything will go right.