What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

7 hours ago, Skylon said:

I'm not sure why @DerekL1963 is being like this... I haven't seen any cinematic coming from him, so I wonder how experienced he is in filming. I've had a go myself, and it isn't easy.

I think he wants more sweeping shots that run past the vehicle and then out again. I think the CameraTools patching function works well for this. But honestly if your next cinematic is anywhere near as good as this one, I'll enjoy it.

Yeah, I'm honestly not a big fan of those types of tracking shots, like the one he referenced in Build Fly Dream. I actually find them kind of tacky, lol. Even so, I actually filmed five scenes using that tracking/sweeping/widening shot style, and none of them made the cut.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Thanks for watching. I hope to have the next cinematic done by next month, since school is about to start back up.

Accidentally created something amazing while developing a new low part half-size catapult plane. Basically tweakscaled to 50% size to fit my new "half-scaled" battleships and cruisers.

MPJp3rI.png

Looks like a regular little plane doesn't it :wink:.

Well, be prepared to see something amazing :cool:.

csvca3f.png

It may look pretty normal in this shot, but pay attention to the altimeter :rolleyes:.

Yep, it's underwater.

It has the hidden ability to sink like a sub, and takeoff like a rocket from underwater :cool:.

1Rvvt1z.png

ZuraaG0.png

lFYYA0P.png

The takeoff is made possible by the crazy acceleration of the Lankaster engine.

But the sinking tough, it's probably caused by weight and tweakscale not handling buoyancy too well, but that's just a guess.

Another update on the landship mission. Sorry for the wait.

Tomorrow I plan to be finally landing it. This whole mission has been quite the learning experience, and I've already got a number of revisions in line for future landships.

37 minutes ago, kapteenipirk said:

Accidentally created something amazing while developing a new low part half-size catapult plane. Basically tweakscaled to 50% size to fit my new "half-scaled" battleships and cruisers.

MPJp3rI.png

Looks like a regular little plane doesn't it :wink:.

Well, be prepared to see something amazing :cool:.

csvca3f.png

It may look pretty normal in this shot, but pay attention to the altimeter :rolleyes:.

Yep, it's underwater.

It has the hidden ability to sink like a sub, and takeoff like a rocket from underwater :cool:.

1Rvvt1z.png

ZuraaG0.png

lFYYA0P.png

The takeoff is made possible by the crazy acceleration of the Lankaster engine.

But the sinking tough, it's probably caused by weight and tweakscale not handling buoyancy too well, but that's just a guess.

Pretty awesome, @kapteenipirk - what mods are you using for the parts?

On 8/6/2017 at 3:42 AM, blorgon said:

Finished work on my first cinematic ever! I wrote a kOS script for a skycrane-style rover delivery to Duna. I usually make script-showcase videos that are pretty boring, so I decided to do something new. I learned a lot about video editing and cinematics in general. It's a helluva lot of work. Looking forward to making more.

Awesome!!!

4 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Awesome!!!

Thanks!

2 hours ago, Kerbal01 said:

Agadous Kerman flipped over her lander, and will not return today.

Jesus I thought those were storm clouds in the background at first. Nearly lost my excrements.

Edited by blorgon

I started to make the way to make my MinBase!

and a rover! musnt forget the rover, ALL HAIL ROVER!!

BWy9Zrk.png

current satellite network:

775NXg6.png

scanner sat, I think that this is the lower one? the higher one is the one with the bigger scanner

FgjrCWb.png

this one!

VI1usWX.png

my current base plan:

UXxE0m8.jpg

and how I will get it down? I don't know, its really, really, REALLY early prototype

upxNp5X.jpg

I have a miner lander I have ready to land, but the 3.75m fairings are TERRIBLE at decoupling, they either break my radiators, or break my solar panels, or interestingly enough, my transfer stage...? don't know how that happened

I started to try a new craft and (by far) the ugliest I ever made to this date :

1JYrjVF.png

Some kind of hideous, dart profiled, light shuttle, which will be sent by SRBs.

It is my first try ever to use a fairing part as a nose on a spaceplane as I seems pretty elegant on some craft (and pretty useful too for the reentry...).

j01QJD6.png

The pilot I hate the most, the legendary Jebediah, was a given the opportunity to die to glorify its reputation. Having the crazy honor to realize the first reentry maneuver of the craft. The craft quickly appeared to be stable and maneuverable, the nose cone protecting it a lot. At my great despair the Jeb' survived once again!

eFmS5pB.png

But it wasn't over yet! The Jeb' had to land its craft on the sea and at nearly 100 m/s MUAHAHAHAAAAaaaa...

dI1ZYoZ.png

But he survived!!! Any way, I'll kill you another day Jeb' I swear it! As Ernst Blofeld the Great said, you only live twice!

W346iLp.png

All alone in a lost position, we will see if the Jeb' will manage to survive MOUHAHAHAHAAAAAaaaaa...

4 hours ago, adsii1970 said:

I hope this helps you (and anyone else who wants to know...):

• The Airships mod by @Angel-125 has some small RCS looking thrusters which are found in the "control" section of the SPH/VAB craft editor.
    • In the OP, or maybe it is the tutorial, @Angel-125 says these things work on compressed air - and you gain compressed air by using the mod's engines in your craft design.
    • When the engines are running, they produce electric charge and the compressed air. They work to keep your ship balanced. But this is only part of the equation.
  • The Airships mod also has its own reaction wheel segment (Again, this is the Airships mod we are talking about). I always place mine right behind the forward blister "nose part"
    • This is critical. It helps to keep your airship balanced.
  • Use the weight to keep the thing balanced during construction. It really doesn't really matter where you put the gondola, but it can be used to balance out the weight of the craft.
    • This means you need to plan what your craft is for - I have two basic types so far - passenger and ground vehicle transport.
    • Remember that fuel distribution changes how your creation will fly. I chose to use a combination of solar power and nuclear power for my newer craft. This means I use the electric fans. They are slower but in my opinion, I will gladly trade speed for stability.
    • If you do use the LF generators and engines, you'll be able to have greater speed but will need to assure you allow the tanks to drain equally across your craft.
  • Start small. Learn the basics. If you'd like, I can give you a copy of my first successful ones to fly, learn the basics, and to dissect...

I'm here to help... :D

Following the advice of @panarchist, I discovered that landing gear is unnecessary. I will try what you said next.:)

04OC0W6.png

4 minutes ago, adsii1970 said:

Actually, I do have landing gear on mine... and it works fine: *snip*

EVERY plane I make yaws to the left 45 degrees with no control input after 10 seconds. This makes me wary of landing gear.

Edited by DeltaDizzy

1 minute ago, DeltaDizzy said:

EVERY plane I make yaws to the left 45 degrees with no control input after 10 seconds. This makes me wary of landing gear.

I had this happen to me for a while. Here are the possible causes, and believe me, some of them seem... silly, but it is what it is -

• Weight imbalance on the left - and this can be caused by something as goofy as a ladder or extra missile.
  • Tail fin is not centered on the aft of the plane - this is easy to do. Do the angle snap and use the <SHIFT> key until you place the tail in place.
  • The rear wheel sets are allowed to "steer" and are trying to overcompensate for an imbalance or over-steering based on your input.
  • The front nose wheel is off centered (even a fraction) and this will cause it to turn the craft in the direction of it being off-centered.

I'm willing to help, just let me know what I can do.

This is usually what they look like:

UeMgula.png

This one actually turned out a lot better than most.

Here's the gear alignment.

A9rWine.png

34 minutes ago, adsii1970 said:

*snip*

The SAS seems to be the culprit since it only happens when SAS is on.

8 minutes ago, DeltaDizzy said:

This is usually what they look like: <snip />

What kind of settings do you have those gear at (friction/traction/etc.)?

My own general experience is that the early landing gear suck enough to avoid them entirely for planes (especially the fixed ones). They're useful for low-tech "rovers" and runway markers, though.

I realize that's not entirely helpful...

Just now, capi3101 said:

What kind of settings do you have those gear at (friction/traction/etc.)?

The settings are at default.

i'm currently stuck in a game of Gameslinx's Planet Overhaul, with only "Test x in flight" and survey contracts. I do not yet have the tech for anything else, which is why this is such a problem.

1 hour ago, DeltaDizzy said:

Following the advice of @panarchist, I discovered that landing gear is unnecessary. I will try what you said next.:)

04OC0W6.png

I prefer to use the Buffalo stabilizer legs that come with Heisenberg.

gcv2ETB.png

Also note the 'X' stern, helped me avoid slamming my control surfaces into the ground.

@blorgon I finally had a chance to watch your video (I read the forums on my phone, so it's not always appropriate) and I must say, I love your camera angles. The music fits well with the shots in showing the desolation and/or loneliness of Duna. I may have to show my sister this video as I think she'd like the camera shots too (she's a film student and has an eye for that type of thing). I look forward to your next video!