What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

So far I have finished up the initial design for my manned Moon landing mission in RO/RP-0. It is currently on the launch pad for its first unmanned test.

127pzTb.png

Gravity III - Spoice I on the launch pad

AAAAA So tempting! I want to press the space bar, but I have to go back to band camp in negative two minutes! AAAAAAA!!!!!

welp, testing out my Tri-Turbo-Three (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conroy_Tri-Turbo-Three) for the fly like 1936 challenge... And I lost two engines

Z6gdhWd.jpg

yeah... I pulled up, like, 400 meters from the surface

v9rGy1L.png

you can see my altitude better, and I somehow got the other engine back on (it didn`t have enough intake air for some reason)

2 hours ago, NeoFatalis said:

Built an F15-ish plane

This is like one of the best stockish F-15 I have seen so far. I really like how the wings blend into the fuselage body. Altough I think the rudders a little bit to high.

What mods did you use? The cockpit I am pretty sure is from Airplane Plus. But what else?

7 minutes ago, duesenmilan said:

This is like one of the best stockish F-15 I have seen so far. I really like how the wings blend into the fuselage body. Altough I think the rudders a little bit to high.

What mods did you use? The cockpit I am pretty sure is from Airplane Plus. But what else?

The cockpit is indeed from AP+, the wings are a combination of stock and ap+ aswell, the ailerons are from B9 procedural wings, I got a few bits fron mad aerospace and procedural parts and the landing gear is from kerbal foundries, I know about the tail, I kinda messed it up but it was the best I could get because I didn't have the patience to spend a bunch of time building it with b9 wings :P

Okay, RO/RP-0 update time!

First off, Sapphire Station was launched (a few days ago irl). It was launched on Gravity II, a one core version of Gravity I. In concept it is similar to the MOL program. Its goal was not science. Its goal was mainly to win the million funds offered for staying in space 60 days.

After its mission, the capsule was deorbited. It is still in orbit. As we no longer need it, we have licensed it to a private division which will send tourists to it in the near future.

uuTbVwc.png

Sailor 5 landed on the Moon, hopefully concluding the Sailor program with 3 out of 5 landings being successful (Actually Sailor 1 was the lifter's fault, so as far as landings we're 3/4).

p09Hsjj.png

Abort tests were done on the Spoice capsule, which is a 3 man capsule designed for circumlunar operations.

yBH3Fk4.png

Spoicy Joes 1, 2, and 3 were successful tests of the abort system. However, SJ1 tumbled out of control (the LES worked), and SJ3's parachutes ripped.

The Spoice capsule was used on the Ruby Station Mission.

wjGTkJq.png

Ruby station was a scaled up Sapphire station. It's goals were to get the 2 million fund prize for 90 days in space, and to test the Spoice capsule.

PAeuRzL.png

It also discovered that real life solar panels are not as effective as stock ones.

oNYBInt.png

Upon re-entry it was discovered that inadequate parachutes had been installed. In a normal landing situation the capsule would be destroyed by the impact. Fortunately, due to jettisoning the heat shield late and dumping all of the resources overboard (Okay, I admit it, I used a tiny bit of hack gravity, but the crew also could have bailed out, and irl they probably could have survived 12m/s), the crew survived.

Next up was a rocket the engineers built to see how cheaply they could launch something into orbit. Coming in at under 1000 funds, the Solid Rocket Motor Launch Vehicle (SRMLV) nearly entered orbit (800x130, PE is in atmosphere).

SXzknRx.png

FIfiSfS.png

Unfortunately, it has a useful payload of about 1kg, if that. Does anyone have a cubesat mod?

Next was the first launch of Gravity III which is basically a less-cool looking Saturn V.

cncttCf.png

In my defense, the largest I could make the tanks was 7 meters. Gravity IV will have a larger core.

5867woM.png

Unlike the Saturn, however, the four outer F1's separate halfway through the stage one burn.

lKP5Qa7.png

7G5dkVC.png

Stage two burn.

Also, stage three took an hour to burn. IRL it was probably half an hour, even at 4x warp (oh, the lag!).

JLZFbUa.png

Service Module 1 needed to perform a kick burn at perigee so that a moon encounter was achieved (because of an off-nominal S3 burn).

jBkMK50.png

Once in low orbit of the moon, the spacecraft split apart.

HdXCy4o.png

On the left is Service Module 1, in the center is the one man lander, and on the right are the Command Module and Service Module 2.

This mission would not attempt a landing, but it would de-orbit and attempt to re-orbit the lander.

yaogQ0T.png

Unfortunately, the lander's ascent stage RCS did not work.

VNDKqhz.png

SSNh24N.png

As a result, the lander crashed on the moon. This is why we do unmanned tests!

SBhdxAA.png

PFELNpe.png

Unfortunately, the re-entry was too shallow. The capsule re-entered space. While orbiting around for another pass, the batteries were depleted. Even though the parachutes were armed, they ripped off. The capsule impacted somewhere in the middle east.

I have a sticky note next to me right now with all of the problems I discovered during the flight which need to be solved before Spoice II mission.

• Stage one wants to flip on ascent. Add fins.
  • Stage three engines are severely underpowered. 25% of the LH2 evaporates before and during the burn. Swap engine for a higher thrust one.
  • The ullage engines on stage three require ullage themselves. Replace current ullage motors with solids.
  • For some reason, the Service Module 1 RCS does not work. Probably using the wrong config.
  • Stage two has no ullage motors. It shouldn't need them, but for peace of mind, add some solids.
  • Fix the terrible paint job on the lifter. All Saturn+cryo, Titan+Cryo, Saturn, or Titan is fine, but Saturn+cryo+Titan is pretty ugly.
  • Lunar Ascent Stage RCS does not work. Probably needs a config swap, but might also need separate tanks.
  • Service Module 2 does not have RCS, even though it has RCS tanks. The mission currently has to use the capsule's RCS.
  • Batteries could run out on re-entry.
  • Lunar module does not have enough battery capacity - or the capability to generate power. Or science experiments.
  • After some testing - PARACHUTES ARE NOT STRONG ENOUGH FOR A SAFE LANDING! DOUBLE PARACHUTES!
  • Abort action group is not bound.
  • The staging is a bit messed up.

And that's why you do test flights!

Tried to start a grand tour, then realized how bad my eve ascent vehicle is. It was fine, then it flipped, and it crashed from there. Also, ladders were misplaced.

decided to take a mission and test the space plane i made, only flew it around low orbit a bunch of times tweaking it so this should be fun.

moon mission only i dont think it could make minmus too as ill be burning fuel to alter orbit.

99632A46B616C87428BFDBC2CBDB1D615AF9829E

FA8E0996F8DDEFC31F6D4434766F84C1D57F1DBD

just pile drive through the atmosphere we aint got time to waste

763829DBD33FDF2723756DA1D1BC4822C9071067

kick off main tank and burn for glory

39ED62308437B6F3526F72FC5261AA8FB7E31308

FOR SCIENCE!

51B9378C35870FBE6A35FC33BDAD0C0C7CF6149A

time to go home

D08AEF4B59586C73BD5398BA3E24ABAA6733B1F8

but there is a problem.......we are out of fuel and our orbit is going off course....dis gunna be gud!

21F15DF4AEC6E6946E98A5C118F8E59C305B2BF9

Val - "we got this"

Me - "OMFG PLZ TURN"

577B5E5CA2D10A751E93D996B99435E1B8268FDE

NOOOOOO its right there it cant end like this

5E1B438F59AA07540B997C73B1A6F4DA2ABDAE42

wait...wait.....its coming back....we are coming home

F0531A5598384E51F7EED0361B848145668E9957

awww yeah boy landed like a boss, that was super fun.

32E200AE9E1073B6C9FB3CBFE21FA15B985A71C6

What did I do in KSP today? WELL! Glad you asked! I finished up moving a C Class Asteroid <first EVER successful capture let alone a REDIRECT!!> that I captured and stuck into a polar orbit between Minmus and Mun before heading for bed last night. Tonight, I sent a mission to it to well, redirect it down to a more or less synchronous orbit over kerbin, the exact opposite side from the KSC lol. BUT, its there, and, I thought, well, what now? SO, I sent up an all in 1 miner/ISRU/RELAY XD. THIS is that very thing! I give you Asteroid KGU 219 with the Orbital Mining Relay firmly grappled on!

uAjdrv6.jpg

I am proud of myself. It was a C Class before that relay nearly drained it dry! Ive a pair of FULL large ore tanks just waiting for something that needs the ISRU to crank out a fuel of some sort. When thats done, it will serve its secondary function as a new primary, a relay station! 

original post time 04:18:30

Edited by AlamoVampire
I'm a dope at 4am put wrong picture. Fixed it.

Don't have a lot of screenies today - just took two and realized later that I'd backlit one of them pretty badly...

Began my day by landing a Kerbal Tour Bus 2 craft I had sent up to LKO at the tail end of business on the previous day. Val successfully guided tourists Hermy, Leefel and Summer Kerman back to within a hundred klicks of KSC, clearing two contracts which were replaced by a pair of satellite contracts around Kerbin, one polar and one equatorial. A Boop-Boop 7 probe was launched to fulfill the equatorial contract; it completed the contract later in the day and was dubbed Kerbin Epsilon at that point. Next, Kerplunk 7 arrived at Mun with Jeb, Bob and Bill aboard. Jeb and Bill headed down to the surface, took scientific readings at the East Crater and planted flags on the Munar surface. The hope of the Apollo-style mission was to fulfill an Explore Mun contract that required two craft to dock and crew to be transferred between them, and I was annoyed to discover that the mission fulfilled neither of those requirements (had to be completely different craft, see). The other issue that arose was that the LEM didn't have sufficient fuel to successfully return to orbit, and so I had to send Bob aboard the CSM to quickly rendezvous and dock (putting it on a suborbital trajectory), get the experiments transferred and Jeb and Bill back and then get the capsule back into orbit. I was successful in getting everything moved and undocked the capsules with 90 seconds to Munar impact. A quick radial out burn put the CSM back into a safe apoapsis, with a return to a stable orbit affected at that point; the LEM crashed into Mun 90 seconds later.

Next up in my day was the design and launch of Gusmobile 7 with Val aboard, with a mission to rescue pilot Tommund Kerman from Munar orbit and to dock with Kerplunk 7 for contract. Went ahead and played out this full mission - Val arrived at Mun to pick up Tommund first; she was orbiting in the wrong direction, so a quick radial burn was done to fix that just after she entered Mun's SOI. The rendezvous was affected successfully afterwards and Tommund successfully transferred to Gusmobile 7. To then rendezvous with Kerplunk 7, Gusmobile had to reverse the direction of its orbit again; luckily the craft was designed with this eventuality in mind. The craft's apoapsis was raised to just inside Mun's SOI, the direction of its orbit reversed and then rendezvous operations commenced. The two craft rendezvoused and docked successfully, fulfilling the terms of the contract. Picked up the initial Minmus exploration contract in the wake of this, which is exactly what I was waiting for...

Last thing I did yesterday was successfully retreive scientists Gillie and Zelwin Kerman from high orbit over Kerbin with Gurney 7c, with Gillie's orbit almost out to Mun and Zelwin's about 3/4 of the distance:

tdJ51vg.png
Gurney 7c making its final rendezvous with Zelwin's Pod.

Both scientists were retrieved successfully and the craft's periapsis was lowered to 35k. It will return to Kerbin in a little over four hours.

For today, the plan is to send a probe to Minmus on a fly-by trajectory for contract, undock Gusmobile and Kerplunk and send them both back to Kerbin, and land Gurney. Hopefully by doing all that I can finally send Bob out to go milk Minmus for almost every drop of science that it's worth. Can't fly a lot of the craft I built in v1.1.3 right now because key parts haven't been researched...

Edited by capi3101
added italics...

4 hours ago, Julien Kerman said:

Can you give me details about this rocket?

Of course! This is my medium-heavy lifter I'm using for my RO/RP-0 career. It is called "Gravity I," and has had about five or six flights so far. It can put 30-40 tons into LEO if you fly it right. The cores are 4.6 meters in diameter, the largest I could make them at the time. By comparison, the Saturn V was ten meters in diameter. The Gravity I's cores are about 30 meters long.

wjGTkJq.png

At liftoff, 14 E-1 engines fire (which are more powerful than an H-1 (used on Saturn 1B) but way less powerful than the F-1 (Saturn V)), six on each booster, and two in the center. After some time, the side boosters are jettisoned.

puoxKof.png

At the same time as separation, two more E-1's on the core are ignited to increase TWR. The second stage is powered by one E-1 if I remember correctly.

SWgen7o.png

At this point, a payload of up to 40 tons is now in LEO. So far, Gravity I has had two different mission profiles. Profile 1 launched the Stargazer circumlunar flights.

nXr67UX.png

On those missions, a third stage powered by five restartable "Astris" engines is added, providing about four kilometers per second of Delta-V, sufficient avionics, and more solar panels. Above that is the Stargazer VI spacecraft. Gravity I launched four Stargazers this way, V through VIII, with V being an unmanned failure, VI being a manned lunar flyby, VII being a failed manned lunar orbit, and VIII being the rescue mission for Bill Kerman. The first four Stargazers were LEO missions and used the Mu series of rockets.

The second mission profile, and the most recent, was the launch of Ruby Station.

PAeuRzL.png

The lifter is exactly the same as in profile 1, except for the lack of a third stage, and the addition of a long interstage fairing.

24oxExw.png

Ruby station is 3 meters (or maybe 4, I forget) in diameter. It features a lot of living space, a science lab, and a prototype return capsule for 3. It also has an engine for orbital adjustments.

Anything else you wanted to know? I'll gladly answer.

23 minutes ago, NISSKEPCSIM said:

BDB-Compatible Gemini Paraglider

-snip-

Aww yessss.

Trying it now

Ok, hmm. I notice the lift vector comes from the actual black box of the part. This means anything made with it tends to be unstable, unlike what you would expect from having a high lifting surface. Is there a way to fix that? Also, for whatever reason, sometimes the craft I make this with starts to spin uncontrollably after I've put it into  turn. This might also come from the lift vector being on the little box instead of the

It also seems that the lift from the paraglider comes at insanely high speeds, 50+ m/s

Edited by qzgy

37 minutes ago, qzgy said:

Ok, hmm. I notice the lift vector comes from the actual black box of the part. This means anything made with it tends to be unstable, unlike what you would expect from having a high lifting surface. Is there a way to fix that?

Have you got RetractableLiftingSurface installed?

37 minutes ago, qzgy said:

Also, for whatever reason, sometimes the craft I make this with starts to spin uncontrollably after I've put it into  turn. This might also come from the lift vector being on the little box instead of the...

Yeah, I don't know how to fix that. Maybe I'll reduce the lift.

EDIT:

I've updated the Github to have RetractableLiftingSurface (The plugin that the entire mod relies on!) and ModuleManager bundled. :facepalm:

Edited by NISSKEPCSIM

Ok @NISSKEPCSIM, redownloaded with the retractable wing surfaces plugin. Seems ... more broken?

Timewarping led to spinning led to this

2Mi786g.png

And this

40aNV0O.png

Also noticed that the lifting force was perpendicular to the upwards drag force.

Edited by qzgy