Xeldrak

What did you do in KSP today?

Cadet_BNSF    36

The launch of Architect II to Trao occurred today without a hitch. Launched on a Maryland II launch vehicle, it will conduct a science flyby before a manned mission is sent.

Pp1rvrT.png

5...4...3...2...main engine start...1...launch clamp release...and we have liftoff of Architect II!

qqidk91.png

tIBqovb.png

Starting our gravity turn a little late to prevent the loss of control when staging, like what happened on the first try like was indicated could happen by the simulation:wink:

FFpGP3D.png

Booster separation...we have second stage ignition. The first stage will be recovered later, due to a wonderful mod by @linuxgurugamer, FMRS

rxZdPuC.png

Beauty shot of the circularization burn. If you look just up and to the left of the rocket, you can see Trao, our final destination.

ElQRx6c.png

Trans-Trao injection burn. The probe is visible for the first time. It can get every science experiment that I have unlocked from both low and high space.

NNiPV3M.png

Landing the first stage. Got about :funds:9800 back from recovery

xra0Ftr.png

Landing the second stage. Got about :funds:3500 back on this one.

Zeiss Ikon    192

(career game)

Yesterday, I flew the last of the suborbital-only tourist contracts.  Three tourists made their journey into space atop Taxicab II.

AAOQh7R.png

Taxicab II is a trivial upgrade to Taxicab I -- stretched crew cabin, increased delta-V in the upper stage.  With the increasing mass of the upper stage and payload, however, it can no longer reach the Kerman line on boosters only; the pilot has to give a kick with the Thud engines to break 70 km.  And with all the tourist demand switching over to orbital sightseeing, this is likely to be the last fight of the Explorer II derived Taxicab series.

AZGFOQR.png

On the pad, with three tourists (and Jeb, who snuck into the empty passenger seat).  Not sure what's wrong with the KMT clock -- MET works fine once I stage the launch, and that clock was showing Day 1 and several hours last session -- should be Day 2, early.

J71B6pU.png

Boosters away.  Funny, with all the extra fins added to compensate for the foward fins (which exist to keep the crew cabin oriented before the main 'chutes open), the strap-ons no longer collide behind the vessel after they're decoupled they way they did on Explorer II series flights.

sVAZMs5.png

Forgot to take photos during the "space" part of the flight, and was a little busy during reentry ensuring that braking was effective (as was a concern during design, the double crew cabin won't slow down enough on its own to open parachutes without shredding).  As with Taxicab I, the tourists get their own, separate recovery, and Val gets a few minutes of quiet without the intercom blowing up every fifteen seconds with people asking where's the bathroom (there aren't any, the flight is less than fifteen minutes), where are the barf bags (it was in your hand, what did you do with it?), is this weightlessness (no, weightlessness will be that time when we're floating in our harnesses, this is still boost).

HjrixeU.png

Jeb, that old dog, managed to sit beside the lady tourist.  You can bet he spent the whole flight seeming knowledgeable, pointing out the curve of Kerbin, explaining that this isn't really no gravity, we're just falling at exactly the same rate as the spaceship, and getting her hotel room number so he can debrief her after the recovery.

xJxwAXP.png

And the tourists get a space-Kerbal style splashdown (yes, that's rear end first, remember those fins are at the nose end of the cabin section).  Flight was longer than five minutes -- that timer restarted when the cabin was staged away from the upper stage and command pod following reentry.

Now, it's time to start work on a craft that can carry tourists into orbit more efficiently than Explorer IIp (with its Stayputnik atop a Mk. 1 Command Pod).

Edited by Zeiss Ikon

Helmetman    23

My new stock VTOL with floaters made from ore tanks to navigate on water that includes a submerged rudder and 6 panther engines for vertical lift and 5 whiplashes for forward thrust and can go to mach 3.2. Can land and maneuver to land on the VAB helipad.

n8rosy8.jpg

SizdaFV.jpg

JPiNvXx.jpg

VAkk4z6.jpg

CUtZRht.jpg

KvDUVS6.jpg

clexozi.jpg

Didn't realized I was in Orbit view.... stupid

KCcyruH.jpg

MQ64YBS.jpg

wfJ6bsR.jpg

XH3cOsx.jpg

b9KBi4i.jpg

PHS4PC7.jpg

xrtwZdj.jpg

gbUcu8b.jpg

dz0cTsS.jpg

HkDhJO7.jpg

Now I'm gonna work on my cargo version to drop submarines wherever I want them.

Slam_Jones    1003

Without Visual Mods:

eEMpX3C.png

With Visual Mods (SVE & Scatterer)

RB1JppU.png

KBxfmUE.png

Also I made a car:

QIkH1Bl.png

V9gRV9l.png

Edited by Slam_Jones

17 hours ago, anti_con2 said:

trying to land a probe on eve Huygens-style, if I retract the antennas and solar panels for entry into eve's atmosphere without losing control of the probe? If so what can I do to fix it without destroying the probe?

Leave a relay satellite in Eve orbit and make sure it's overhead when you land.

scottadges    121

I've been playing about with mini rovers and probes, seeing what interesting craft I could come up with. This one was fun and quite interesting to "fly" (get it!).

Diptera Flying Rover

(from the Latin "Diptera", meaning flying insect)

IYtCbD8.jpg

hQfDoY7.jpg

OaSk8qi.jpg

9qqC9GU.jpg

More photos at my Imgur: https://imgur.com/a/p2iTO

Total D/V: 3 m/s

Mass: 1,685 Kg

TWR: 2.42

Parts: 25

Command Pod: AES Pod (Umbra Space Industries)

• Power required: .07 Ec/s (4.2 Ec/min)
  • Electrical Power276 Ec total battery capacity

Power Generation: Total 96 Ec/s (5,760 Ec/min)

• 1x .625m Nuclear reactor: 0.1798t, 36 Ec/s (Umbra Space Industries)
  • 1x MK-0 'KerboPower' Fission Generator: 0.287t, 60Ec/s (Kerb Kastria, Inc.)
  • 197 Kg total Enriched Uranium
  • 250Kw total heat transfer required

Thermal Cooling (Wings): 2x VF-150 'Beta' Radiators 

• 300Kw total heat transfer capacity

Thrust: 4x Micro Ducted Fan Engines (USI)

• 5,016 Ec/min required (20.9 Ec/s per engine)
  • 1.36 intake atm required
  • 4Kg intake atm provided

Edited by scottadges

Foothold station has arrived at Pol.

AD5O9yr.jpg

It's not much of a station; basically just a big fuel tank with a few additions to make it function as its own spacecraft (more parts that'll expand it into a more fully-fledged station are on the way,) but it's enough to fulfill its role in Project Foothold, specifically to provide a place for Foothold Base (still en route and due to arrive in about 60 days) to put its mined fuel.

FungusForge    273

Started a new career with Engineering Tech Tree. Made it to orbit.

DJkXJxv.png

Edited by FungusForge
Brain was off.

DeltaDizzy    657
32 minutes ago, FungusForge said:

Started a new career with.

Please clarify.

I finished my set.

screenshot433.png

scottadges    121

More fun with small probes and nuclear power!

This is the Kerbin Polar Orbiter, a nuclear-powered, xenon-fueled "geological survey & magnetometry" satellite (that just happens to have a high-powered digital imaging array... COUGH Spy Satellite COUGH)

56Kxkpd.jpg

qzgy    1730

Made a glider for that glider challenge

RFMbjGZ.png

Helmetman    23

@qzgy The glider is a Mk 1 cockpit with a fairing clipped over the nose? Is that aesthetic only or actually a improvement on the aerodynamics? I always thought the Mk 1 cockpit had less drag then a stock fairing but I might be wrong here. 

Edited by Helmetman

qzgy    1730
6 minutes ago, Helmetman said:

@qzgy The glider is a Mk 1 cockpit with a fairing clipped over the nose? Is that aesthetic only or actually a improvement on the aerodynamics? I always thought the Mk 1 cockpit had less drag then a stock fairing but I might be wrong here. 

Aesthetic more to my knowledge. I'm not sure about aerodynamic performance...

Drakenex    545

CSG Assembly in progress (I've invited the Russians to come along)

Path-to-Mars.jpg

2a0Xuwc.png

aNRcHBq.png

nHLAZ0f.png

AOcm10l.png

Decided to put my new toy to the test.

(As a sidenote, Core2-Quad 4x2.4GHz, 8GB DDR3, 450GB HDD, AMD HD4670, Dell 1680x1050, Ubuntu 16.04. All cobbled together from scrap for a grand total of zero funds. People give and throw away the darndest things :))

I had earlier dropped a station with attached lander at Minmus while trailling the new toy but while that mission was a success I realised that I'd forgotten to add antennas to the lander ...

No real issue except that I had no relay sats at Minmus so I decided to do a quick easy and standard (at least for me) deploy of 3x basic relay sats.

Wanting to try the install out (I copied the save from my win10 install) I decided to build a triple launcher from scratch.

QsAT3RD.png

Eye-balling a Minmus launch at 6 degrees (letting MJ do a 42 turn launch) to 72Km it went almost good (actually it failed to circularise, ending up in a 75x69km orbit, I had to do an extra lap and a little boost at AP).

Minmus transfer was obviously a standard manoeuvre, except that bloody Mün was in the way and I had to do some un-planned extra burns to actually get into a Minmus intercept.

After dodging a dodgy Mün I managed to fine tune my Pe to 1M and found a good Ap using the ROC.

Everything fine and dandy (well, after some tweaks), in the right spot, just release the first sat and ...

I've forgotten add separators under the sats ...

Ok, revert to launch, add separators under the sats, repeat all of the above.

This time I can release the first sat.

Except that I can't shift focus to it, since the Linux version of KSP isn't interpreting my swedish keyboard the same way as win10 is ...

I then decided to close down KSP and go to the local pub.

Tomorrow I'll try again, with a re-defined keyboard ...

Lo Var Lachland    1028

Just downloaded like 5 new mods to add on to my already crazy install with 100+ mods. 

Hint: 

It's for a novel... Shhhh.

Edited by Lo Var Lachland

Lo Var Lachland    1028
21 hours ago, FungusForge said:

Started a new career with Engineering Tech Tree. Made it to orbit.

Spoiler

DJkXJxv.png

What's the mod that adds that beautiful space view? :o 

FungusForge    273

Got a probe to Minmus. Mostly forgot to take pictures. Did however manage to catch a picture of my discovery that a botched relay that found itself beyond Kerbin's SOI ended up giving me control for the last few moments of the Minmus probe's life. It's power died transmitting science and it smashed into Minmus.

EHz3ie5.png

4 minutes ago, Lo Var Lachland said:

What's the mod that adds that beautiful space view? :o 

Its the Foreign Eagle skybox.

Lo Var Lachland    1028
32 minutes ago, FungusForge said:

Its the Foreign Eagle skybox.

Thnx much.