What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

15 hours ago, EpicSpaceTroll139 said:

Tried to go for the Kurburgring Lap time in my Selenium I racer. Made it through most of it, then when I tried to make the last turn, nothing...

Turned out my front tires had popped for no obvious reason

N6npg4V.jpg

b3IPndf.jpg

Shocks too firm? A lot of people set springs/shocks to 2.0/2.0 thinking that must be best.

Edited by Azimech

After my less than spectacular failure due to dodgy key assignments (and a pleasant trip to my local pub) I redid my mission to deploy 3 comm sats at Minmus and used the spare fuel on my launch vehicle to refuel Minmus Station One.

But not without slightly hilarious issues.

I prefer to play career without too much time warp, relying on KAC and doing various housekeeping and testing/tourist missions to spend time until any upcoming 'main' mission events.

That means that I have alarms coming up in anything between 8-9 days and 300+ (interplanetary stuff).

So what happens? Well suddenly I was stuck with two kind of critical manoeuvres in 8 days time, but less than 1 minute apart ...

I had to do the circularisation burn at Minmus and then quickly switch to detach and circularise my final Kerbin Relay Sat hoping that I'd manage to do them both in time.

4 hours ago, Azimech said:

Shocks too firm? A lot of people set springs/shocks to 2.0/2.0 thinking that must be best.

Indeed I do have my shocks set quite firm for this particular car. It's been working great for all other parts of the track, allowing the body of the car to be just a little bit off the ground* while not worrying about the car rocking a little and scraping at the corners. It's just this spot that's giving me problems. If I were racing anywhere other than the KSC, I would have softer shock and maybe spring too, as well as more ground clearance, but the KSC terrain on the course was in theory perfectly flat, free of any divots or potholes. Never noticed it wasn't (putting aside the previous versions problems of ridges in the runway) until I cam across this problem with my car. Guess that's what I get for not having thoroughly inspected  for such things

Anyways I think I've figured out how to get past the divot without problems. Just need to do a little testing.

I think I might be able to soften the shocks a bit, but first I want to try this other method I figured out.

*Keeping it low to the ground obviously allows a low CG. The stiff suspension also allows the wheel fenders/wheel-wells/whatchamacallits to top out just a few centimeters above the tire, reducing drag... altho the latter may be more for looks bcc the difference probably isn't significant in stock aero

Edited by EpicSpaceTroll139

Dropped a Huygens probe. 

UuMdVQr.png

kogbUUe.png

I made a really detailed Cassini to mark its passing last week, so might as well use it. Doing a Jool 5, flybys via gravity assist. 

8sBQPGv.png

Here's my close Laythe encounter, after a Tylo gravity assist. 

hoF2dwz.png

mF3y6dY.png

Meanwhile: 

B7raOs8.png

208Ab6Y.png

4TI7o2X.png

B1loK1k.png

ogmAFku.png

So close to land....

quJU7Yc.png

Easy to find evidence of liquid on Laythe. 

VTnOuSy.png

This whole bit reminds me of the end credits of the classic aussie show my parents used to watch, Sea Change.

Toutchdown.

YeZbgQS.png?1

5rImfXe.png

Got to empty those batteries sending science while Cassini is still in range.

oFlE0Mt.pngCassini had to maneuver to reduce impacts from  an unplanned Tylo encounter. 5LU6hZY.png

See ya Huygens.

Edited by Tw1

On 9/21/2017 at 6:06 AM, dvp said:

C8JtEnA.jpg

Today I learned (again):

• Landers should be as low and wide as possible.
  • Mining on the Mun sucks.
  • Bouncing is bad.
  • There are no flat spots in craters. Only spots that LOOK flat.
  • Make absolutely sure you kill ALL of your lateral velocity before you begin your final descent.

Well, your first pic looks like the engine bell sticks down below the 4 tanks. I have ISRU lander designs similar to yours that seem to work fine. Also, it seems that your landing struts weren't deployed,

I'd also disagree with the last point, just make sure that you kill lateral velocity before touchdown... doing it *during* final descent is fine IMO

Today in KSP, I launched the "Frontier Station" (named by Gameslinx) into a Low Kerbin Orbit. I will be shortly sending the crew up.unknown.png

EDIT: There's now a crew working on board!

16a3fcbbe7aa55137d1b0aaef304030d.png

Edited by DerpzGames
Adding new info

6 hours ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

What's that bit hanging off on the right that looks like a roll of TP? :blink:

You never know when you've gotta go :blush:.  Better safe than sorry. :P

5 hours ago, Helmetman said:

Kodak Film roll with white paper cover?
Space tissues?
Unused TP?
Ticket dispenser?
Pamhplets with Jebediahs face on it?

Seriously, what is it?

It's the ever useful Graphotron mod, maintained by those who do hyperedit. 

It's paper for data print outs!

tnTEMC9.png 

While I'm here, I might as well include some more in this post. 

Here's a vengeful Ghost of Cassini, using its... extra science equipment to take it out on the VAB

RAeTuVl.png

Here's a pilot returning from a salvage operation in the Jakku desert. 

9NioHRb.png

Rey Kerman and her Speeder.

9BucO8o.png

This thing was tricky to get thrust balance.

Yh9WPmM.png 

Edited by Tw1

6 hours ago, KerikBalm said:

Well, your first pic looks like the engine bell sticks down below the 4 tanks. I have ISRU lander designs similar to yours that seem to work fine. Also, it seems that your landing struts weren't deployed,

I'd also disagree with the last point, just make sure that you kill lateral velocity before touchdown... doing it *during* final descent is fine IMO

Angle of the shot - it stuck out a little past the tanks, but had plenty of clearance when the legs were deployed. (Which they were, when I attempted to land.) I toggled the legs back and forth a couple times trying to see if I could get it to tip upwards enough to get it off the ground again, to no avail.

To your second point, I would generally agree. But that thing handled like a whale, even empty, and I actually crashed it once because it didn't turn back fast enough after a correction burn. (It wasn't until I was low to the ground and travelling <10m/s, that it became obvious I had 1-2m/s of lateral velocity.) Probably should have spammed a lot more RCS thrusters in the design.

Today I started expansion of my base infrastructure on Minmus; the first step being to move all resource gathering operations away from the main base location(drills in USI-MKS will kill your FPS if you have a lot in one location :(); next is a manufacturing site for everything needed to be self sufficient.  Here is a screenshot of the first mining outpost with the crew lander off in the background.

Te2DLG4.png