What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

2 hours ago, Geonovast said:

Dipped into stock 1.4.1 again for a flight to play with the parachutes finally.  I really think I'm sticking with 1.3.1 for awhile. 

One of us... one of us... one of us... :confused:

1 hour ago, eddiew said:

Felt a slight twinge of concern as the moon rose over GSC...

cMq5z9R.jpg

*accordion plays*

Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeen theeeeeeeee.... moon hits your eye like a big ZOMG WHAT THE FLARP IS THAT RUUUUUUUUUUUUUUN!

Edited by CatastrophicFailure

24 minutes ago, invision said:

its getting to be that time of the year kids and eggplorer is back, do not make fun of his unibrow.

8CDA4F2582AF8B1CF1E99B4C34E9DF6CA2AEA853

EGG-cellent! :P  :D 

Today I returned to otherworldly aircraft design with my signature combination of purple self-lighting scheme and exclusive use of Mk2 Expansion parts (no other part mods whatsoever, so I can share on KerbalX). When I post more pictures they'll be available for anyone to enjoy.

The prefix "Jade's War Planes" means they have extra emphasis on steering and may be fit for battle as I was encouraged to get back into craft design by the owner of a KSP Discord server.

The JWP Nemean Lion

MgIuH4B.jpg

nKK0jy5.jpg

The JWP Dragonfly

AOYHLqQ.jpg

Three new crafts are en route to Duna. It's a miniature Wagon Train, Part Deux. There's a new fuel truck with a headlight, a shiny new fuel tower with fuel cells and improved solar panel placement, and the Ruby 4.1 with a pilot and an engineer aboard, for a follow-up Duna landing. The craft is mostly the same as the previous one, but with the new MK1-3 module and new decouplers. Why only a pilot and an engineer, leaving two empty seats? Because Onyx Station is in the same situation as Jade Station was - it has two extra scientists on board for the science lab, which is no longer needed.

The plan is to dock with Onyx Station, pick up the two scientists, then proceed to land on Duna and do some science. From there, it's back up to the station to refuel. There may be a bit of a snag here, since the previous Ruby landing, if I recall correctly, still had its secondary tank with some fuel left by the time it reached Duna, and didn't ditch it until partway through entering orbit around the planet. This time, the tank was ditched just before achieving intercept. Or I could just be misremembering. Mission Control's official transcript of the first landing was lost when someone spilled coffee on the documents, you see. Either way, I'll have less fuel to land with because stopping at the station first means the landing towers need to fuel not just landing and return to the station, but Ike-to-Duna transfer as well.

But assuming that the tower fuel can get the lander from Onyx Station to Duna's surface and back again, Ruby may not immediately return to Kerbin. Having scientists and an engineer on board means the experiments and parachutes can both be reset, so if it can make the landing once, theoretically it can just go back and forth from the station to Duna as many times as I like. After that, it'll stop off for one last refueling, and then the two scientists will go home with Dudfal and Sara.

Edit: Oh hey, now I remember why I dropped the tank later last time. Ruby 4.0 stopped at Jade Station to refuel before intercepting Duna. Which I neglected to do this time because I just used a Mun gravity assist to slingshot directly out of Kerbin's SOI. Welp. :blush: Hopefully the delta-V I saved by slingshotting makes up for the failure to refuel. Otherwise we have a problem.

Edited by Ace in Space

On 17.03.2018 at 10:01 PM, NotJebediah said:

That must be the most Kerbal way to play KSP :D

Wait... A Kerbal OS for PC?

Using a vnc server to control your pc  :)

And yes, a pc os.

On 18.03.2018 at 8:53 AM, LordFerret said:

Slow day. Very slow day. The Jool-Series-2-Vall did its burn this afternoon... all afternoon... a little over 4hrs worth. Yea, ion powered. Big ship, long burn. Half way through the burn, one of the Xenon pods drained, it got jettisoned... dropping a little mass is always helpful. Not quite going as planned, I'm hoping to have fuel reserves enough for insertion, otherwise I'll have another rescue mission on my hands. :confused:

Why don't you do aerocapture?

Doing some gliding tests of my Shuttle mock.

q21yiDE.png

It tore the wings off the mothership and dived towards the Island runway at 300+ m/s.

I also wanna mention that the mk 2 tanks on the side of the mk3 is a very effective way at combining style and function, because I can shift the center of mass by emptying and filling whichever ones I desire for a mission.

With the various mod updates rolling in, I'm setting up for my 1.4.1 campaign.  :cool:

While waiting for a couple of updates, I've been using the tech-level filter in the VAB to pre-design spacecraft for various levels of the tech tree.  A few times, I've bumped into the older models (like the former Mk 1-2 command pod), though those might have been artifacts of my continuing battles with Windows Defender quarantining portions of KSP's functionality.  :/

6 hours ago, AntINFINAIt said:

Why don't you do aerocapture?

I've considered that. The ship wasn't designed with aerocapture in mind however, and it could end up a fiery affair if it comes in too shallow. I've plenty of time to think it over.

I launched 2 Duna SpaceX style test craft to setup a base ready for Kerbals. XD

SpeHbtc.png

AtWTaPR.png

I can do SpaceX style launch, orbit, recover without and mods (theoretically). As I have enough time to circularise, before stage 1 hits the atmosphere. So I can switch to it, and land.

Album a/K7BKk will appear when post is submitted

Those are tested and landable on Kerbin and the Mun. No heat shields needed... but Duna might be different. :o

I'll either need to learn to manually land perfectly, or use KOS some how, as Mechjeb has trouble predicting the atmos effects... well, I do too. So often land a few K off, but getting closer. Though lighter air resistance might mean I overshoot the landing zones on Duna. :(

Got a test base on the Mun for mining etc. Using KIS for fuel transfer piping, as docking / land based craft would be too complicated. (I attempted an idea with the inflatable docking ports, but they don't move if docked :( ).

Edited by Technical Ben

Did a couple of contract flights and such. GAP is great for practicing your flying skills.

tRa5aqX.png

For one, I love Parasailing. It's a hoot!

1RiD0YW.png

And doing flight contracts to the Island airport is alot of fun if you need practice on lining up to a dirt runway and stopping in a hurry.