What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

It's Easter, I have a deadline but I'm fooling around, procrastinating, playing, to avoid real work.

I resurrected an old 1.2.1 world that I had been setting up as a potential challenge but that I had abandoned.

Precision instrument landings.

Goal is to de-orbit and land ("under the hood') between the flags with as much fuel remaining on-board as you can.

If anybody wants to play with it, here is the save file: Race.sfs   Just make a scratch Sandbox world and reload from this save...  there's an Aquila tanker in 30km orbit with extra fuel onboard, or you can simply go back to the start of the Race save.  [Just don't hurt Leo!!]

Purpose here is simply to inspire people with what is possible when you Fly The Ball.

Edited by Hotel26

7 hours ago, Ace in Space said:

:o That's really cool and I'm having a hard time figuring out how you did it. Specifically, how you built the containing chamber to be structurally sound and to pop open like that.

Reveal hidden contents

37DE5535A1E775B5AF30C140662D9C8B572BBA13

There probably was a decoupler at the small platform and the other on the inside at the rover, it must have pushes it out of the lander, sorry I am just guessing:rolleyes:

Today I launched my Mun Rawket at the Mun, in sandbox mode. I will freely admit that the design is obvious overkill but then again, why not? This is KSP!

Lord knows how much fuel I consume getting this thing into orbit, it's as inefficient as heck but I can get to the Mun and back with fuel to spare. The jettisoned parts make a very nice bang on re-entry, I'm sure.

Album 1DmUhYU.jpg will appear when post is submitted

I opted for a luxury Mun lander, with three batteries, a reaction wheel, monopropellant, two large antennae and four solar panels. I can probably generate enough electricity for Jeb to run the internal electric BBQ and have enough bandwidth to stream the Kerbal equivalent of Netflix to the astronauts. I'm using stock KSP 1.4, no mods, hand flying the thing the whole way. It took a few tries to land on the Mun but I made it in the end, by pulling a fairly crazy gravity loop to orbit the Mun. It was fun and for the first time I didn't explode landing on the Mun. Shame the lander keeled over on landing but then again it IS a little top heavy with all those batteries, which I hadn't considered. Still I'm going to try again with the same rawket and try to land the right way up. After all the Kerbal motto appears to be "try, try and fail repeatedly until you fail gloriously or succeed", or something like that.

Album hEuLR6X.png will appear when post is submitted

You just gotta love the way KSP allows you to throw stuff together to see if it flies, explodes or gets weird on you. It's kinda fun when a strange design manages orbit and you end up looking at the thing and thinking "how 'bout that? The danged thing can fly," whilst shaking your head at the sheer improbability of what you've just designed and launched.

As they say "to infinity and beyond, or at least the Mun before lunchtime." 

I shall cease rambling and get back to KSP, after all there's many a failure ahead of me and just perhaps the chance of success. It's the Kerbal way.

Edited by ElectroMagnet

On 3/20/2018 at 8:33 PM, TeslaPenguin1 said:

I use a mac. Once an apple user, always an apple user :wink: 

I used a Mac. Once you build a powerhouse PC for half the prince of a Mac you're converted.

On 3/22/2018 at 9:37 AM, AngryKitty said:

Yep, they are! Haven't noticed a difference in performance, and I like the aesthetic better. For aircraft, I use them the "right" way, but in this case, it looks more like this, a real-life application:

main-qimg-21a31d3a03f2a3cb5612c5349cef64

So I've been using the airbrakes the wrong way. But if this doesn't make a difference then... Although I also prefer the above aesthetics.

10 hours ago, LordFerret said:

I had similar problems. I try not to make a habit of clipping parts (although, lately .....), but it was the only way I could get my rover solution to work. One of the problems I had was right after undocking the payload, where the rover(s) would vault up and out (explode) - because of the way they were docked, the wheels had load on them. And then there was backing out of the cargo hold down the ramp. If it wasn't dead-on it was an issue. And getting back up and in was another. :confused:

Hope you do better with it than I did.

I built a narrower but longer rover...  My medium wheels overlap at their mounting point which is well ahead of the main body, with struts to hide the fact that I had to offset them so far.  I tried mounting them at an angle, but anything more than about 15 degrees meant the drive and suspension stopped working.  My solution to the "vault and explode" was to place the docking port well above the floor on the forward bulkhead of the cargo bay... of course, this means the rover has to use a larger reaction wheel to get the backside in the air to re-dock.

Currently doing more career mode. 

The station I mentioned yesterday is up and running but.... It has no crew. Guess who forgot to budget?

Right now I've got mechjeb flying a small aircraft to do some science contracts on the other side of kerbin in hope of getting some funding. 

Once I get kerbals to the station I should be able to get some science from all the data i got up there. Hopefully. Gotta love the Science relay mod =)

Also managed to get scatterer EVE and SVE working so.. everythings pretty now. =)

Oh yes and im working on getting funding for a new airship from Angel-125's Hiesnberg.. Heignsberg? ah Heisenberg Airship Mod. Shhessh those are expensive.  

Edited by Mark Kerbin

31 minutes ago, Kronus_Aerospace said:

This is turning out to be the smoothest looking replica I have ever made. I am very happy with this.

GAkpLBQ.jpg

I'm going to buy the expansion and just keep the parts and textures for fairings. Just so I can see THESE AMAZING TEXTURES!

1 minute ago, Kronus_Aerospace said:

No need for that, I haven't bought the expansion! The fairing textures came in the 1.4.1 update.

Oh...

Well crap. You don't mind going into the game files and finding the fairing stuff and then posting a download link, do you? Please?

I would do it myself but I have over 100 mods and I can't take the time to update them.

1 hour ago, Kebab Kerman said:

Oh...

Well crap. You don't mind going into the game files and finding the fairing stuff and then posting a download link, do you? Please?

I would do it myself but I have over 100 mods and I can't take the time to update them.

Well I'm no expert on the game's code, but I do have a solution! Just make a copy of your game, then you can delete the mods of only one of them and just update that one, this way you can keep your game with all your mods and have another version of the game at the same time. I personally have 3 different copies of the game on my PC, all in different versions and with different mods.

Edited by Kronus_Aerospace

5 minutes ago, Kronus_Aerospace said:

Well I'm no expert on the game's code, but I do have a solution! Just make a copy of your game, then you can delete the mods of only one of them and just update that one, this way you can keep your game with all your mods and have another version of the game at the same time. I personally have 3 different copies of the game on my PC, all in different versions and with different mods.

Huh. Well, I think I'll just update the game and then steal the files, then revert back to 1.2.2.

B256909A842ECBB84E13DDA766B10EB14AE9FBF9

EDIT: This thing can go mach 4.61!

Edited by Kebab Kerman

Just now, TeslaPenguin1 said:

Can you make it 1.4.1 compatible?

It sounds really cool!

I can try, but I need testers. It's primarily going to be 1.2.2 so I can use it. It's going to be versions 1.2.2, 1.3.1, and 1.4.1, as well as any versions that have new expansions or parts. I can try, anyway. Maybe I can make it not need specific versions for ever update.

2 hours ago, Kerbital said:
On 3/20/2018 at 5:33 PM, TeslaPenguin1 said:

I use a mac. Once an apple user, always an apple user :wink: 

I used a Mac. Once you build a powerhouse PC for half the prince of a Mac you're converted.

Macs can be very effective. Sure, they're pricey up front, but they're built like tanks with lots of room to grow - well, at least the old Mac Pro boxes :/

I have a 2009 Mac Pro that i've successfully updated over the years. It'll run any current game I've tried at max graphics settings without a hiccup. Today you can pick up a 2009 Mac Pro for under $500. Add in $1000 in upgrades (GFX Card, RAM, Processor, SSDs) and it's a powerhouse.

Not saying it's for everyone, but they shouldn't be discounted out-of-hand either.

This really occurred over the past couple of days, but I've been experimenting with submarine design, with the intention of completing the Elkano Challenge by majority use of submarine. I've still go to figure out how to get the thing to cross a continent to do a true circumnavigation. I've been experimenting with a boat-car hybrid, the only drawback being limited fuel and low speed, making it difficult to complete in a timely manner without having to fly fuel to the landship every six hours.

https://imgur.com/a/OmYqP

In any event, it's kept me busy with a creative outlet, and for that I am thankful.

Edited by Smokey the Bear