Xeldrak

What did you do in KSP today?

1 hour ago, woeller said:

Yes you are right, maybe I should rename it. How about Slate IV Heavy? Named after the the biggest moon of Sarnus(OPM).

That sounds good. 

• Like 1

Announcing the Kannonball Express Intercity Rail Link.

GybSCmu.png

Uhm.  I have a few details still to work out...  :)

(The investors are actually hoping to provide a village <--> regional airport link with Krew Buses used to transfer Kerbals to/from commuter flights..  personally, I think they are krazy.)

And...  yes...  those are twin Wheelseys...  a good ole kero-burner.

(And...  Nellgard is an "engineer".  Not a "pilot".)

Edited by Hotel26
  • Like 6

With the recent startup of my "Take Six" career in RSS/RO/RP-1/Principia, I bypassed the whole "burn the fins off WAC Corporals" stage by starting with A-4 rockets.

The first two launches were unaltered A-4s (aside from ballast replacing the mass of warheads that hadn't been installed).  With thermometers and barometers mounted to the guidance unit, they collected science while their batteries lasted (not much longer than the powered ascent), with the results returned by radio.  The data gathered, or course, was applied to improving the technology, and after but a few launches (which, none the less, took some three years), upgrades were available for both the booster and by then, the upper stage (based on the original WAC Corporal).

Then the failures started.

Lulled by the first couple launches of the A-9 configuration  upgrade engine with XASR-1 powered upper stage (but still in a sounding rocket form -- long and narrow, with fins and a long ogive nose, although stability in the thin air at 30+ km was augmented by spinning up the booster before staging), a version with a short, fat tank and spin-inducing ullage motors that allowed for much larger sounding payloads (for contracts) inside a smaller fairing saw four engine failures (ranging from simple failure to ignite the A-9 engine on the ground, to a combination of reduced thrust from the A-9 and failure to ignite the upper stage) in four launches.

Fortunately, the penalty for contract failure (in terms of funds) is only the same as the advance, so all I was losing was the cost of the launchers and their rollout (and considerable prestige), but after the fourth failure (with construction taking too long to permit a second try on contracts accepted before construction started), the program was down to barely :funds:30,000 in December of 1954.  Finally, I managed to complete a couple contracts, and with accumulating flight time, the A-9 engine started to settle down.

Now, in January 1955, it's time to send the astronauts to the edge of space (mainly, after the first contracts for crewed supersonic and crewed suborbital are paid, in order to keep them from retiring in 1957).

• Like 3

18 hours ago, woeller said:

I think you have a clairvoyant gift. KSC is flooded now.

TeqTWnI.jpg

Well.... I happen to live in the tropics...
But is this a glitch, or rather an easter egg of the mod? Who knows....

Your kerbals all right?
I hope they all got to the roofs...

OK.  This looks a bit more promising!

kbSDGN7.png

I've signed it with the Hotel26 signature, "Ugly".  :)

I figure once the routes are surveyed as a series of straight legs with flags at each section indicating next direction and max speed, a run should be fast and fairly fun and require use of the Wheelsey's thrust reversers approaching the end of each section.  I've had it to 75 m/s already fairly easily with no roll instability.

Before you ask, Jeb insisted on the peacock tail; it doesn't need it.  :)

Oh yeah, the leading double bogey is raised off the ground but should contact any sudden uprise first and ease the jolt...  that's the theory.

I'll post Kannonball when and if I get a satisfactory result.

Edited by Hotel26

My Minmus Space Station is growing...
vFtlUqg.png

The second miner (upgrade) has landed near the first one...
Dha9UBH.png

Now we are talking ore :cool:
oIsWfkr.png

• Like 1

Back to Kerbol system to relax a bit from RSS/RO, did some manned mission and back to laythe:

qIde93b.png

thcV0sz.png

A little bath to clean those kerbals in Laythe ocean, taking one or two fishes for our scientists (but Bill ate them during way back to Kerbin..), and we can go

medb7OB.png

See you Laythe :)

gXKZGCh.png

• Like 3

Who wants to give me #5000 rep ?

:cool:

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Bottle Rocketeer 500 said:

Me!

Thank you !

giphy.gif

• Like 1

I spent some time developing a shuttle. But, before I send it to space, I needed to make sure it will fly ok during re-entry. I fitted it with some jets and took a "above 19km temp reading" contract. Turns out it flies pretty nice but it drinks jet fuel like they aren't going to make any more.

4335823DB4E54C6E76F4C4BF559AA5A67359654D

At ~20,600m and a touch over mach 3.2(pictured there) it still uses 1.6 units of fuel per second. The only modification I made was to add a couple of drag 'chutes as it doesn't respond very well to wheel brakes and likes to roll off the end of the runway.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Zeiss Ikon said:

Fortunately, the penalty for contract failure (in terms of funds) is only the same as the advance

Don't you accept the contracts just before launching the rockets? I do this, and most of the time I can manage completing contracts without problems since I've a bit more time then and I also often build (duplicate the first one) 2 rockets for each mission, since the most expensive thing is rollout costs, and if not needed, I just scrap it, you get funds back hopefully)

vHpcZ5f.png

4 fuel cells
2 tanks
1.8 tonnes total weight
Top speed of 59 m/s.

Yeah baby.

Edited by GDJ
  • Like 2