What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

54 minutes ago, Hotel26 said:

If this is a comm relay sat , cool you named it Boop Boop, which is Morse for 'M'.

Naw...just a common sat with whatever sci instruments the contract says to have on the thing. The low-tech ones are the Beep-Beeps. My commsats are White Noise 7s...

I don't really like mining on the Mun as the gravity well is deeper than Minmus, but contracts had me build a base. And then contracts kept me expanding until I was fulfilling contracts for mining ore and shipping it to Kerbin. When I sent the drills I sent an ISRU, but that was mainly to support fuel cells on the base. On the last base expansion contract I sent up some empty fuel tanks to expand the storage of LFO, but it wasn't nearly enough. Last night I finally got around to sending a dedicated tanker to haul LFO to an orbiting station that was running low supporting science landings all over the Mun. I based the lander of 5m parts and it has about three times the capacity of the base's storage tanks, so it'll be sitting around for a while getting filled. It's large enough I won't have to do this often.

gKKVe7o.png

On 9/17/2018 at 9:29 PM, Cyrious said:

Well that was an odd bug. Launched the fully loaded ore miner from the mun's surface (srsly 2.08m/s^2 acceleration is horrific), but for some reason it failed to transition from the landed state to the In-Space Low state.

I also had a strange problem after lifting off from the Mun:  while building up velocity attempting a direct insertion to Kerbin reentry, I suddenly heard an explosion from the map screen.  Oh no!  Was I too low and impacted the surface at nearly orbital speed?  No, I still seemed to have altitude, but my main fuel tank somehow exploded and the rest of the ship was in six pieces slowly drifting apart.  (Engine, forward section, four side attachments.)

These are the voyages of the starship Exitprise..

GXV7lGj.png

Its five year mission to explore strange new worlds...

hWsXbYC.png

To seek out new life and new civilisations...

RHMgBxr.png

To boldly go where no kerbal has gone before!!

*Star Trek intro music starts*

Well, today I made this replica of the Enterprise from the original series of Star Trek. I called it the Exitprise (geddit?) It's not particularly amazing looking, but I spent two infuriating hours in the SPH building it.

Of course, it doesn't really work properly, but it's all about the looks.

Edited by RealKerbal3x

Rizzo's further adventures in KOS:

After a successful first orbit mission, Yusaku Maezawa's Kerbol friends were all queuing up at the launchpad gates for a ride.  So I now have a fully automated craft that can take a crewmember (doesn't need to be a pilot) and 2 tourists, do one orbit of the planet, and land within the boundaries of the KSC, all without me touching a button, nice money earner with 7 tourists currently on the books.

Yes I've made the game play itself, so now have to find other things to do, hence why I'm typing here as Bill and 2 tourists are preparing for reentry :D

Not bad for an unguided approachPakRIKi.png?1

Edited by RizzoTheRat

[RO/RP-1] So, I've completed the tartgeted moon landings contract. Now the followings ask for a moon surface rover deployment, with specific aeras to inspect. Then, here's the plan:

Basically, just a simple LM spacecraft:

Ph9ZD9a.png

But then, Descent stage fairings openings! (hello rover!)

3tTYBvQ.png

Youri detaching the rover, and trying to put it the right way. And then unfloding its main core before boarding in:

BE5X4vL.png

More or less like this :) Now, just have to unflod the wheels, and....

sOEDBKQ.png

Yeeeee!

G04nD9g.png

I just hope all this kraken/robotics stuff will work nice once on the moon :)

4 hours ago, RealKerbal3x said:

These are the voyages of the starship Exitprise..

RHMgBxr.png

Well, today I made this replica of the Enterprise from the original series of Star Trek. I called it the Exitprise (geddit?) It's not particularly amazing looking, but I spent two infuriating hours in the SPH building it.

Of course, it doesn't really work properly, but it's all about the looks.

Cool! I'm assuming one of the things that doesn't work is that it's going to constantly try to nose down when under thrust. You're thrust isn't passing through the center of mass...there are a couple of fixes:

1. place your rocket nozzles where the impulse engines are. You may have to tweak the height of the nacelles and move some weight around, but you can probably come up with something workable.
  2. Add a third engine at the back of the secondary hull. You can play with the different thrust levels til you get some thing that flies straight.
  3. Lower the nacelles so they're on along the center of mass. It'll end up looking a bit more like the Intrepid class (Voyager), but it would fly better

Great work, hope this helps!

I continued some more in my new career, followed by a brief experiment with Simplex Tech Tree.  I mostly like it, but I'll have a lot of work to do if I want to use it, as most of my mods don't support it.

Approach to another Mun landing.  Now that the VAB has been upgraded, I was able to make a proper lander with a stay-behind lower stage containing everything needed for a surface remote science base to handle future "gather science" contracts.  Landed near this arch rather than nearly hitting it like last time.

2ENGCMe.png?2

Followed that up with the career first Minmus orbit & EVA.  Jeb previously performed a fly-by, while Val is getting to handle the orbit mission, leaving the next one (landing) for Jeb again.

DU9Fzjs.png?2

While everyone is waiting for Val's return, Jeb got bored & tested out a new jet with a quick flight north of the desert airfield to look for anomalies.  It flew pretty nice, but we lost a wing or 2, plus the engine & half the fuselage on landing due to an unforeseen bump on the landing roll.

huDa5cW.png?2

f1iR1lp.png?2

Edited by Cavscout74
Spelling correction

On 9/19/2018 at 12:54 PM, Geonovast said:

What mod are those drills from?

Honestly don't remember. Might be part of a USI mod I have. Hell I thought they were stock.

And in other news, SOON.jpg:

02TXE69.png

If you look carefully you can see a rust colored dot with a gray dot next to it. This shot was taken while I was slowly turning the beast around for the capture burn. I'd try aerocapturing but I have no heatshields for protection.

48 minutes ago, kurgut said:

Wild blue mod? very nice :)

Cormorant, I believe.

39 minutes ago, Cyrious said:

Honestly don't remember. Might be part of a USI mod I have. Hell I thought they were stock.

The drills look stock, but I couldn't tell if they were just placed inside a mod's service bay, or if it was all one tank/drill combo.

Make whatever whirring and whooshing noises you believe are appropriate:

3 minutes ago, Geonovast said:

The drills look stock, but I couldn't tell if they were just placed inside a mod's service bay, or if it was all one tank/drill combo.

They're all one part, a combination drill and 1000 unit ore tank wrapped around it. Interestingly enough it also comes with a warning not to use as the Root Part else the game will flip out and delete the craft.

1 minute ago, Cyrious said:

They're all one part, a combination drill and 1000 unit ore tank wrapped around it. Interestingly enough it also comes with a warning not to use as the Root Part else the game will flip out and delete the craft.

51 minutes ago, Cyrious said:

They aren't stock, but I couldn't remember which mod for sure either despite using them all the time myself.  I was thinking it was Jet's Chop Shop, but finally found it in Modular Rocket Systems.

fsNXqoE.png

Ladies and gents! Welcome to Duna. Now to figure out how I'm getting back home.

Edit: to expand on that last bit: I only have 780m/s dV in fuel to make the return trip at the moment. I expect though that once I release my satellites piggybacking onboard and transfer the bipropellant to the Station once it shows up, I'll have enough to make the return trip. 

Maybe.

Edit2: Ok, starting to look like I might have to dump the docking module I used to attach 4 of the probes for the return dV.

Edit3: Yeah this is going to get dicey fast. 600m/s dV after making the capture & apoapsis circularization burns is not exactly a decent amount to make the return flight with.

Edited by Cyrious