What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

I made good progress in my new career today.  First up, Jeb took the IML-1 (Interim Mun Lander) to a safe landing & return.  Space suits are still under development, so getting out wasn't an option.

hu6JrfY.png?1

Then I sent the Mun Reconnaissance Orbiter into a polar orbit around Mun to send back loads of science data:

After booster & fairing separation:

Nunrx03.png?1

In Mun orbit:

I9K5NMm.png?1

Finally, Jeb took a CF-01X experimental fighter out for a spin, getting it up to 10km before dropping in to check out an anomalous signal north of the desert airfield.

ucOzO2Z.png?1

10 hours ago, MisterKerman said:

Normally I hate the way canards look. You made a great looking design where they don't obliterate the craft aesthetics.

OmO!

Good job.

Thanks! It's a joy to fly too, perfectly balanced all the way up now. Happy to post a craft file if anyone wants it.

I've finally put a probe on the surface of Hydrus:

- The brave little probe (after being detached from the mothership):

rtqt8o6c5f7czgnzg.jpg

- engine stage detached and solar panels retracted, entering Hydrus' atmosphere

lmw5557zaq07uynzg.jpg

- entering the cloud layer. At this point, the probe weights only about 640 kg. Probably the smallest craft I've ever landed anywhere.

bbzab4nbgzabmrwzg.jpg

- the probe has landed:

49i5ia1xbbuacavzg.jpg

I finally decided it's time to embarras myself using a video, and not only on screenshots. :D 

So I made this long, boring showdown of KSP Demo:

Try not to die of boredom while watching this tragedy… :D 

Inspired by this post:

I finalized and released my rendition of the biggest, baddest ship in the U.S. Navy - the Fletcher Class Destroyer.

sJjoBCR.jpg

Specifically, the USS Johnston, famous for its bold actions during the Battle of Samar, where it and the USS Hoerl (also a Fletcher) stared down the Japanese main battle fleet, and through a combination of luck, strategy, bravery, and superior design, forced the Japanese (the Yamato among them) to retreat, saving the U.S. Marines on the Philippines from serious danger.

CLILGYl.png 

This is a full stock replica, and features swiveling and elevating turrets, and a balmy 1700 part count, but if you're as bold as the Johnston's captain, download it here:

https://kerbalx.com/servo/USS-Johnston

The latest update on the Progress of the Kerbin Sorta-Circumnavigation.

Tanford brings the boat some freshly pressed jet fuel... just what you need for some get and go in the morning.

ejRaW5h.jpg

Bob feels queasy at the thought of Jeb cooking up something he caught from the boat for dinner.

RNQjpO2.jpg

The round Cape Cold, just spitting distance from the Antarctic coast and start heading North again.

RVFdhCl.jpg

They get treated to a high altitude light show.

yeEM5Ik.jpg

Edited by purpleivan

Started a duna mission, decided to make a Duna ore Bust style mission report for the fun of it. The mods are K&K planetary base system, USI-LS, StockalikeStationParts Expansion, and Cryogenic Engines

WLCBT5c.png

hq5IvNC.png

FVLaLLh.png

euhqHJd.png

Kp6m0Tp.png

k7fwOXV.pngaOF7Put.png

nxgMLWL.png

Any ideas for what I should add to the side ports? It has to be small, I've only got a TWR of 0.15 even with this Cryogenic Engine.

10 hours ago, Lisias said:

Inspired by this post:

I thought it was an interesting video, but too bad there was no game audio and what audio was there was really quiet. Also, hey that's my post! Feels weird... Anyways, I've been working on a massive scenario and have been rigorously testing things for it.

Edit:Pic related to the scenario I'm referring to. It's an easteregg so don't click the spoiler if you don't want to get spoiled on an easteregg of the scenario.

Spoiler

This is the apocalypse rover. This is where Jebediah, Bill, Bob and Valentina Kerman are all living out the rest of their lives. However, if you can figure out where they are, and how to get them into orbit, they may prove to be valuable with their 5 level experience. That is to ask if it's even possible, as it may be entirely impossible to get them into orbit. Oh well, that is for you guys to figure out, since I'm terrible at craft design.

6aPbmGH.png

Edited by Missingno200

6 hours ago, Missingno200 said:

I thought it was an interesting video, but too bad there was no game audio and what audio was there was really quiet. 

Recording audio while screen recording on a Mac is still a challenge here. Apple sometimes does things that you just can't understand.

Next time I will record the audio using JACK and Audacity separately and mix the data on ShotCut.

6 hours ago, Missingno200 said:

Also, hey that's my post! Feels weird...

Yep. Totally your fault! :) 

bp3AJ4j.jpg

Launched the Mun Orbital Detailed Survey A (MODS-A) aboard a L2-S light lifter to support upcoming Munar prospecting operations

AI5AFUx.jpg

It's now creating a more detailed map of Mun ore concentration than the Polar Surveyor was able to from its 10km polar orbit of the Mun. It sits an average of 6km above the surface.

Edited by OrbitalBuzzsaw

I spent a lot of time tinkering with my mod setup yesterday & today.  I'm still waiting on a few updates, but I'm pretty happy with what I have finally.   I also played around a little in sandbox with a few odd designs:

First up, loosely based on an old drawing I saw somewhere of a DC-3ish aircraft with a pair of turbojets in the belly in place of the props.  I threw it together, glanced at CoL & CoM & then flew it.  By some miracle, it actually flew quite nice & landed smoothly, with no bounces & no lost parts

GHxRbSI.png?1

AM7JoTG.png?1

Then I played with a design for a single-launch Mun/Minmus base.  By some miracle it flew more or less where it was supposed to, so I didn't need to use the questionable abort procedure I put in place.  Here, I'm shedding the fairing as I clear the upper reaches of the atmosphere:

XDHnKzN.png?1

Since I didn't need to try out the abort system, I reverted & launched again to intentionally abort & see how it went.   As it turns out, it doesn't work well at high speed - lots of explosions, including the lander can with Jeb at the controls.  At lower speeds & altitude, it did work.  The abort sequence was to deploy the fairing, shut off booster engines, decouple the lower stages, decouple all the base except the center section & skycrane, activate the skycrane engines & once clear have Jeb exit the lander can & use his personal chute.

uJGBgcK.png?1

On the ground, standing on a piece of fairing, watching more debris rain down WEST of KSC somehow.  This started off as a normal launch (liftoff then start my gravity turn to the east around 100 m/s, etc), and I aborted around 2km altitude, so I'm really confused how a cloud of debris (the specks in the background) managed to turn the opposite direction.

pQBcLqJ.png?1

Finally, back to my new career and I performed the first LKO rescue of this career, pictured here getting ready for reentry:

FAegxpO.png?1