What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

I've landed my manned rovers on most worlds in the system now (some my older 'Piranha' class and the last two my newer 'Swordfish' class). I was trying to decide whether to do Bop, Tylo or Pol yesterday and suddenly thought, why not all three! So I've launched three craft one after the other into orbit then done the transfer burns one at a time.

It was actually a fascinating experiment - they all left LKO within about 6 hours of each other. They all tried to get their burn point at the same position, yet small variations in when I started my burn have led to dramatically different transfers. One managed to get a near perfect transfer with an encounter at the apoapsis immediately, and when I corrected the normal/anti normal later it dropped into an awesome 300,000m approach with no extra work - my best transfer ever I think. The other two I somehow messed up a bit and had to spend 400 and 550 delta v fixing the approach - amazing considering they craft all had basically the same start. The arrival times also differ dramatically, with the 'worst' transfer arriving first, the other bad one about 8 days later and the best one nearly 2 weeks after that.

Anyway when I left it last night, the first one had arrived (least fuel left), aerobraked at Jool and encountered Pol and is now sitting in orbit waiting to land. The second arrived in the middle of all this so I had to juggle the two (middle fuel). The second has just reached Bop orbit and is ready to land.

Tonight the third will arrive (most fuel) and head for Tylo then I'll land all three. I'm 100% confident in the Bop/Pol landings (infact I should be able to land some 20 times over) but the Tylo one worries me. Not 100% convinced it will land at all. If it can but doesn't have the fuel I have some tanks around Laythe, so will be able to top it up first, we'll see. It's TWR is a bit low for Tylo though so I'll just have to see.

Didn't have much time last night, but I landed on Pol and had a nice drive around... fell down a mountain for about 6 km without touching land which was fun. Then landed on Bop, but as I keep all but my mapping satellites stock I have to try and figure out anomalies by the terrain. Think I got it totally wrong and have landed some 60km away on a similar terrain feature so started the drive. Tylo craft is now a day or two from arrival so tonight I'll see if it can land. Still not convinced it'll be able to on its current fuel, so a refuel from my Laythe station may be necessary. Only 80% sure it'll be able to land even on full tanks mind you :/

I pretended to work while reading the forums. When I finish work I plan to test the new fuel supply that I dropped off at my Mun base, and maybe refuel my eve lander and try to take off. I have a bad feeling it will fail to achieve orbit.

I built a lander that has a reasonable chance of getting three kerbals off Eve. And it weighs only 320 tons! Gonna need a bigger rocket.... Here's the juicy bit, the last stage, getting 3789 dv out of 28 tons: o7oe50P.jpg

Last fun I had was making my flag. I havent played the game for several days now, getting a bit bored waiting for the patch tbh and cant think of anything else I want to do in the game really atm - been to Minmus, been to the Mun a few times, tried making a spacestation which wasnt much fun because of the jitter docking bug, I would love to make my own rover etc but I find them far too oversized to be much fun launching them. Cant really be bothered to launch a mission to another planet until I can realistically assemble stuff in space.

Might just have to leave the game and go play something else now I think, and wait for some decent patches to come along.

I redesigned my medium sized Mun lander to turn it into a Gilly (or Ike) capable ship.

It's been sent to Minmus to run some tests and landed with 5000m/s worth of deltaV after a botched transfer. So it looks promising.

I tried going to Minmus, but slightly screwed up the main burn, not in terms of being headed for Minmus, but in that it may have intersected with the Mun a bit...direct collision course actually. So I landed on the Mun once again :P (I did correct the course, land and then returned the crew home, no callous firing of Kerbals into the Munar landscape, not today at least)

Now that I've landed on all Jool's moons, I now want to crew change the staff so I can claim my return emblem on my ribbon (yeah, yeah, I'm an achievement fiend). Trying to build an adaptable lander, and it's proving rather tricky! I've been trying to built it in stages - I could just build a Tylo lander and use it everywhere else, but I don't want it to be so inefficient for the small worlds.

Currently it looks like it'll be in 3 parts...

Part 1: A capsule, some fuel and an aerospike giving enough delta v for return landings on Pol and Bop.

Part 2: Adds on to part 1, Additional fuel and parachutes to allow Vall and Laythe return landings

Part 3: Stuck here. Not sure if this will be used as well as or instead of part 2. Either way it needs to give some serious fuel and additional engines to allow a Tylo return landing

My mothership when then take it to Jool with plenty of Kerbals who will relieve the crew on each of the moons.

I have done nothing today but yesterday I rescued a couple of astronauts from a 3km mun orbit. Very fun! You keep expecting a mountain to hit the ship any time, the rescue was straight forward though, no docking ports on the ships, but the two ships were very close and remained like that throughout the whole EVA movements. Then I landed at the mun base and the abandoned ship became a dangerous satellite above the base :D

I have landed a 'Mun Tower v2', which is a tower made up of two Hitchhikers, a Lander Can, and the least amount of parts to make it while it still looks good

This is to remove some of the 1250-1500 parts currently around my 'Mun Command Tower' (which is going to be scrapped after I start building a modular Mun Base), most of which are from lander cans and their landing stages.

Tonight, I plan on landing some more rovers on Minmus, which will no be used by the current Minmus research team.

Tonight will also mark the start of my Munar Emergency Evacuation Base.

I am also going to try (fifth time) to land the Mun Bug, a rover I build (launch stages from Scoundrel, thanks!)

Worked for a few hours, ate some Burger King for lunch, ran a few errands and now sitting here hoping for the .20 update soon. Might go take a nature walk in a few minutes, really nice out on LI today.

Edited by Mishkin_007