What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

I have been building a space station under contract for the Station Science mod. Unfortunately there were some technical issues with the functionality of the experiments mainly (I think) due to Jeb wanting to fly rather than do experiments......:mad:

Original station with Kerbin Escape Module docked is below:

CixFUPd.png

On the 2nd attempt launched the Station I could not get the Zoology Bay to rendezvour with the station core. :huh: it ran out of fuel and RCS on orbit leaving 4 Kerbals stranded.

With Jeb on the ground sulking, it was up to Armstong Kermin to save Mitgard, Picard, Janeway and Lovell Kermin. HE made 2 heroic flights up in the KEM to bring the home safely.

ilKSLNM.png

dTNLZBX.png

2CPU1nL.png

YQveYBi.png

Started up KSP after a while off. I decided to put together an exploration/probe-seeding mission to Jool, Bop and Pol. The stack of five probes (three orbiters, two - not even theoretically tested - ion landers) have a gravioli detector and antenna each and sit atop a reasonably large fuel supply that has two docking ports to attach Nuclear Drive Modules C and D. Speaking of NDM-D, I finally disconnected it from the old ManyMission launcher, landing that in the ocean before the KSC's continent.

xi9it8.png

sGKBKS.png

Q9OUb6.png

jC22S7.png

V9zlIf.png

pgSTtL.png

In total, the launch payload is 50.4t, which is still within tolerances of my 50t to LKO lifter. Not sure I was up to developing a new lifter with how long I've been off. I launched it to an 80km circular orbit, and then set up the maneuvers to bring the drive modules to it. There's still 70 units of liquid fuel left, which should restore the drive modules to full before the last lift stage deorbits and parachutes back down.

xLXHSi.png

AJMuet.png

I didn't take any images in orbit, though. I also didn't check the delta-v of the transfer stage, but if I'm remembering the masses and Isp correctly, there should be about 2.2km/s in there on the LV-Ns. With aerobraking and a good transfer window, that should cut it, I think. It has been a while... I don't think it'll make it back, though.

Today, jeb is back to the Kerbol Explorer, and bob made his first kethane refuel mission

Jeb on his way back to KE

89C4B3E437C074270E671FA1C697D4910EFF8819

Final approche

F76C35C4F413A65C64E9670880976023CDDF33A3

Bob's kethane mission begins

05C99F4EB92A9082A164D32293725E0ECD8056C4

Kethane facility Ike's approche

58BC859A58095C30F026ADF5D4E4AD61FE6B700A

Bob first landing

D7B36CD53A530860157CC27306B005EC4BD1C2BE

91E594712259E723B48A8DA8469EE9FC9EEC31E1

CFCA1601DDCCFCA02F3BB20A0B1FAB05D214535B

114142F732632C9F93BC0E6E8BCB2A1139E103CC

KE encounter

E3D0A858ECA0E678DC27E27A7DB0A17DAF291863

Kethane facility final approche

98A31E30CBEB32D4F821C81580CA163250393A86

First voyage, 17000 Kethane unit to convert, and a proof that facility can bring back all that kethane in orbit !!

I didnt even use monoprop engine or LFO engines ive install in case of, nuke only !

Ike is a very easy place for land/take off !!

I was curious about how the behavior of parts change with distance/SOIs (solar panels and antennas, mostly). So I fired up a "goofing around" save and slapped together a poorly-thought-out probe (as one does for missions with really loos parameters). Paid almost zero attention to angles during execution, because my immediate goal was just "head outsystem while avoiding Mun" with no particular destination. Stopped burning when apo was out a bit beyond Eeloo orbit. Grabbed data at several points along the way out, then figured "Hey, I have a bunch of dV left, maybe I can turn this into a high-lob trajectory to actually fly by Eeloo". Eeloo was in a crappy location relative to my (essentially random) orbit, so I wasn't optimistic--but while setting up the maneuver node I thought I noticed a telltale flicker just as pe passed Duna's orbital radius.

Yup.

So...I went to Duna. Via trans-Eeloo space. Pretty much by ACCIDENT.

And even hit the timing such that Ike was on the far side of its orbit when I reached Duna SOI, so it couldn't play space-billiards with my approach and aerobrake. (Dang it, that last part NEVER happens on a "serious" mission! Why NOW?)

6 parts.. I AM impressed, however without life support that would be impossible in my current save, lol.

Hmm? There was life support, what you didn't see was a exercise bike in the pod that ran a generator that powered the life support (also in the pod). The bike also keeps the kerbal fit curing the multi year mission.:D

But more seriously, I don't use an life support mods, maybe I should try one some day.

Today I started prep work to get the 5 Kerbals down from the Spacestation since it is going to be decommissioned due to technical difficulties, or in layman terms: I am getting rid of TAC and which will delete the station and kill all the Kerbals aboard. I liked TAC but I have had to babysit the station when timewarping another vessel, and having it in LKO made timewarping painful (I could have put it higher but I wanted it easier to access while building). Plus with .25 coming I am considering doing something with remote tech and maybe a more realistic aero model, the second one I am still debating on yet.

Today, I sent a -somewhat unisual- mission to the Mun. I know some people are rather childish and can't stand a cartoonish recreation of male genitalia, so I'll put it in Spoiler tags.

Coronel, you better take a look at this radar... It looks like a giant

lmjRfpb.png

D*ck! take a look at our stardboard...

Oh my God, it looks like a huge

zDZRYUy.png

PECKER! Wait, that's not a woodpecker, it looks like someone's

WiEHiFP.png

PRIVATES! We have reports of an unidentified flying object, it is a long smooth shaft, complete with

rULngtk.png

TWO BALLS! What is that? That looks just like an enormous

BIpituN.png

WANG! Pay attention.

I was distracted by that enormous flying

buMiW9Y.png

WILLY! What's that?

Well, it looks just like a giant

3gWCxWQ.png

JOHNSON! Get on the horn with british inteligence and let them know about this.

KqM2Sj4.png

If you don't know what I'm talking about, just watch this video (and the whole movie while you're at it):

Edited by astropapi1

Today, I sent a -somewhat unisual- mission to the Mun. I know some people are rather childish and can't stand a cartoonish recreation of male genitalia, so I'll put it in Spoiler tags.

It's like a babushka doll! Made me laugh :D

I spent the day preparing a list of mods I want to install for a new 0.25 career save, it's currently 90 mods long. Installation will be fun... (And I sure hope Active Texture Management is as good as its reputation!)

Well, I also launched a few rockets in stock, but while trying to complete some contracts I ran in to some bugs (the toolbar disappeared when I accidentally entered windowed mode) that led to an hour or so in google and the interiors of KSP.app (OSX). All in all, a lot of KSP, without playing much...

I returned to KSP after playing other games (the Baldur's Gate series, Witcher 2, and Shadowrun: Dragonfall) for a couple of months. I had no recollection how my big Jool-5 mission was supposed to work, so I decided to start simple.

Everything went fine until it was the time to return to Kerbin. I had forgotten how much drag the big heat shield generates, so I managed to miss the KSC.

crash_landing.jpg

Edit: Then I got an idea that it might be fun to restrict the use of liquid fuel to launch stages only.

monopropellant_mun_1.jpeg

monopropellant_mun_2.jpeg

Edited by Jouni

Return missions with probes are ok too

Problem is that probes have hardly any torque, which means reaction wheels, which means more parts. Also if it runs out of power then you cant even turn on the engine to recharge, which means you would need an RTG, which again means more parts.

Tried to make a new station. I built it around 3-way symmetry, it worked better in my imagination... my earlier design had a more interesting center but the components would fall apart when I tried to bring them up into orbit. http://i.imgur.com/ucIBCxv.png

I tried to make the engine compartment into a kind of bimodel NTR, that can both produce thrust and generate power. Kind of like this:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/4/4c/Orion_docked_to_Mars_Transfer_Vehicle.jpg That's what this station/ship needs... a nice big 3.75m crew compartment. It would look better if the top was the same thickness as the middle. As a little bonus the crew compartment can detach and re-enter the atmosphere, I added parachutes and landing legs to make it a full fledged emergency life-boat.

Started a new career mode game: the old one got too bogged down with landing at every biome on the Mun and Minmus (they were 4-vessel missions: one command vessel with a mobile lab, one scaffold to keep everything docked, one giant fuel can with an LV-N, and a lander). Jebediah got off to a good start: his horribly over-budgeted orbit mission was turned into a Munar flyby with just drops of fuel to spare when he splashed back down on Kerbin (first time in KSP that I've ever manually calculated delta-V; I usually just use MJ for that).

I then got a Stayputnik probe with massless parts up to a nearly circular 120 km orbit. I was aware the decoupler would ruin the circularity: what I did not expect was for it to be catapulted at 50 m/s from the launch vehicle into a 180 km apogee.

Thankfully I wasn't pointed retrograde. I know the game leaves it on rails so long as it doesn't get below 22 km, but it's still a bit cheating to have a permanent satellite going through atmosphere.

Today in KSP I spent about 28 hours real time kethane scanning Duna and Minmus, then Ore scanning them. Completely missed 0.25.

EDIT: That is, 28 hours in real life, in KSP at the maximum warp I could it took about 3, 4 years?

Edited by TimberWolffe

Today I began work on a new Space Shuttle orbiter design for when 0.25 comes along that also works with FAR.

yWX5YsR.jpg?1

In completely unrelated news, when Bob got out of his car this morning to go to work, he saw a strange machine sitting just out side of the car park.

n5mjtx0.jpg?1

I'm sure it's nothing.