What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

I haven't done too much lately. The memory leaks keep biting me, my install crashes very hour or so. THat said, I did build a big triple-hulled shuttle and gave it a test flight. Next up will be attaching it to a big ole rocket to get it into space. The intent of the shuttle is for it to not actually be a shuttle, but an exploration vehicle. It's got 2 drills and ISRU stuff, so it will land somewhere, and while it refuels itself, the little buggy within it's cargo bay will go explore around. The cargo bay also houses a scanning satellite, the two side hulls have MK2 crew cabins and pods. I'll have better pics when the real mission gets underway.

Screen-Shot-2015-05-17-at-9.48.32-AM.png

Just saw your question - to embed imgur albums, get the album ID and use the [imgur] and [ / imgur] <--- without the spaces! tags.

And you can use [noparse][noparse][/noparse][/noparse] to display tags without them getting parsed - no need for spaces :P

EDIT: and yes, I had to wrap those tags

I have to rescue two kerbals because an enterprising young Kerbal named "Jebdred" decided to depart for Minmus....with a refueling station conveniently in the way. Why do "Jeb" names always do this? lol I rescued Kirk already, the younger Jeb is still out there.

I forgot to post this last night before falling asleep, but I started building a ring station since that seems to be the "in" thing these days. It got a little hairy when I realized that the segments I'd sent up had no docking ports other than the "structural" ones (meaning it would be kinda useless as a station), so I ended up sending a second mission to bring up some funky docking adapters... only to realize I could just include docking ports on the other half of the station, which I hadn't launched yet xP

Sptupotl.png

If I can work out the kinks I may include one of these on my next Jool-5 Challenge attempt.

Edited by parameciumkid

First off did a little messing around and made an SSTO rather easily, just need to practice and refine to make these practical again.

1iO1nU7.jpg

Next I set out to make a base on the surface of Minmus that could refuel nearly any craft that landed with natural resources there.

fBhU0Ls.jpg

Although I ran into an issue of docking ports aligning correctly which was quickly fixed and then one of the ports became permanently tweaked somehow.

tpD1RBd.jpg

Lastly a picture Jeb took while helping retrieve parts of the base. You can see Kerbin and the Mun together in the light of Kerbol.

EU1h1Fc.jpg

Overall I'd have to say a good day's progress.

Ground out some more money.

Then I noticed all my kerbals were back at the complex. Which is suprising since I know 6 of them were at Duna waiting to be rescued.

So I looked in the tracking station. My station I have been building is gone. My tug is gone, my two duna stranded craft are gone. All kerbals back at HQ.

This is not good. I don't like my hard work just vaporizing. I guess the Argo is just going to poof one day?

This isn't the first time this has happened. My eve ship I couldn't bring back disappeared as well. All kerbals on it at HQ.

Taking a look at the Elcano ground-circumnavigation challenge, thought I might give it a try. So I opened up my sandbox save and started experimenting with rover designs.

First, I built a little racecar type thing around a Mark I inline cockpit. I couldn't resist adding a few boosters.

kGCltM6.jpg?1

Unsurprisingly, the enterprise quickly devolved into adding more and more rockets in an attempt to set a new land-speed record.

D2ytRNR.jpg?1

Some of the runs went better than others.

nabJUSx.jpg?1

5z0xtDQ.jpg?1

I did, however, build a reasonably functional ejection seat. Useless, admittedly, but functional.

8UVu4E6.jpg?1

On its best run, the LSR Mark IIE disintegrated at 574 miles per hour, and I am still no closer to driving around Kerbin or anywhere else than I was yesterday.

My first surface base EVER! Bob the engineer is looking quite pleased.

lG8oeZH.png

The launch was horrendous. I *think* I was experiencing wobbly-bugyness due to fairings. The fairings were huge and there were struts going through them in order to keep the base and rover in the picture from wobbling. I had to keep the speed down in the early atmosphere and no matter what I did the rocket would spin wildly at around 30km. By turning off the two outboard engines I was able to regain control and even though I started loosing altitude at around 50km I had enough fuel to pull out and make it to Minmus.

Bob is anxiously awaiting the arrival of the mining module to the new Minmus base. Here's the mining module on approach.

QGhxWWJ.png

Using the exact same launch sub-assembly as the hab section in the first picture, this launch was 100% easier. The fairing was slightly better shaped but probably the biggest difference came from the lack of struts penetrating the fairings - the mining module is much more stout than the hab+rover.

The astute observer will predict how this landing ended. I see what you did there KSP - very clever.

Fwfj44x.png

The engines are obstructed by both the ore tanks and the mining gear. This used to not be a problem, and therefore not something I paid attention to. In this instance however I lithobraked at 70m/s. All I need to do is rotate the engines a few degrees around the tank - it'll no longer be symmetrical but they should a) produce thrust and B) not explode important things below them so probably worth it. :P

Spent most of my time setting up story shots for my mission report - still have not yet flown the mission itself.

GrSNh86l.jpg

Pickup admiring the Saturn IB sitting on its Milkstool while countdown to Apollo VII begins.

5tdQQ9Vl.jpg

Apollo VIII's pilot does a flyby of VII in his X-15 prototype after decelerating from 900 m/s.

The ring station is finished (or at least the ring part is. I have yet to add any gadgets). Unlike most around here, I neither HyperEdited it up nor launched it atop a huge expendable lift vehicle, but rather assembled it in orbit from 10 discrete segments (8 ring pieces and 2 docking adapters) over 3 launches.

x0pFFRUl.png

It has 82 parts and a total mass of 50.8 tons (including the small tug used to build it). I can post the "assembly kit" as a craft file if anyone wants.

Edited by parameciumkid

Finally unlocked Rapiers in career and started using these for LKO transport. Maybe not the most efficient or pretty designs but more cost-effective than rockets and the new Mk2 lifting body properties make them nice flyers and gliders.

1) The 'Hotdog3' evolved from a simple lifting body prototype. This is the 4 Rapier, 4 passenger version. Includes emergency de-orbit fuel in the tail (just in case) which can also be pumped forward to adjust the COM for return flight:

bvNRbXlh.png

2) The 'MegaDog'. 6 Rapiers+4 turbojets. 4 passengers + fuel payload for Mun shuttle (all of the centre fuselage):

TLZ1dJGh.png

I really should get around to installing FAR but, with everyone moaning that "sstos don't work in 1.0.2" I thought I ought to give them a bash in stock first!

Wanted to finish a Minmus station contract with some other Minmus contracts with training a lot of kerbonauts, so I build a ship holding 13 kerbals. Launch was not good, dV in LKO was not good ... so by using a Mun flyby I left Kerbin's SOI for 23m26s and after a round trip of <15 days they landed with a bit of Kerbol science and XP, and I am back to the drawing board again - might do more missions with less crew instead in the future.

Hopefully my Mun mission will do better, might become the last available contracts for the Kerbin system due to my hop into Kerbol orbit ...

Used a dock-two-ships contract to finance a satellite that will ride with said Mun mission, that will also clear a base contract. (I feel cheaty. :D )

Still having kraken problems over by Minmus:

3242942.jpg

This was an orbital tug I was sending over to help recover some rocket bits that got staged accidentally, in order to drain the fuel from the tanks, but it randomly exploded while I was trying to synchronize orbits. No physics acceleration, no wacky part clipping or potentially glitchy bits, just BOOM, there goes half of my ship. :mad:

Also, Thomfield Kerman crashes the game every time he steps on Minmus' surface for some reason, so he is no longer allowed to go on EVA missions.

Edited by Goomblah

Got the Mun and landed WITHOUT MechJeb. Built rovers and crashed them all over the runway. Managed to land a rocket with a lander on the Mun. When I took off, something went horrible wrong and Jeb watched as the lander exploded and catapulted us into space. Built a new lifter that starts flipping end over end at 25K. Built another one that crashed on the Island Runway, but hey, I got to explore it!

Back to the lifter drawing board.