What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

Rage quit because my Moho intercept was a failure, in spite of Kerbal Alarm Clock giving me a go-ahead window. I have skimmed Jool and Duna once, each. I am at 830 hours now. What am I doing with my life.

-Khorso

I am at close to 1500 hours, and I have only ever landed at Duna and Eve, with probes that were DOA and useless.

So don't feel bad lol.

Rage quit because my Moho intercept was a failure, in spite of Kerbal Alarm Clock giving me a go-ahead window. I have skimmed Jool and Duna once, each. I am at 830 hours now. What am I doing with my life.

-Khorso

Moho is tricky to say the least, thanks to some good advice I got on here I learned the easier way of doing it is to ignore the transfer window and launch when Kerbin is at the ascending or descending node of Moho's orbit (if you launch into an inclined orbit close to Moho's inclination you can save quite a bit of fuel too).

Then burn to get your periapsis down to Moho's orbit, then wait until your close to getting an intercept on the next orbit and do a small burn to get that intercept, Moho orbit's so fast you shouldn't have to wait long.

In preparations for my Minmus base construction, I've made a mini landing probe to scan Ore amounts on surface (Command pod for scale, not the part of the design), and hopefully find the best place to mine on Minmus (I don't have nearly enough science to unlock the Narrow Band scanner yet). Has around 1500 Delta/v, so it should be able to cover some nice ground before expiring.

NS5zAq.jpg

And of course, so I don't needlessly repeat the trip, I am sending out 12 of these babies.

0zzWhQ.jpg

I've been doing a lot of stuff lately. Today I upgraded the landers on my munar base with gravity sensors by using the KIS mod. I had to send two ships, as I completely forgot that the engineer at the mun station doesn't have any tools yet, as she was sent there before I installed KIS... So, she had a lot of new science equipment, but no means of mounting it on the landers...

The other thing was a redesign of my minmus lander. I managed to reduce costs to about 2/3 of the previous value, but sadly my first attempt to launch it tipped on the pad due to a lack of struts, and the pilot got killed. At least the expensive scientific equipment survived... Well, the second attempt, which was using launch clamps, was a success, although I force-closed KSP when the to be placed flag touched the ship and made it fly away on its own... Luckily the game had saved right before that.

On the weekend I managed to do my first landing on Duna with FAR installed. During atmospheric entry Jeb managed to keep the heading at retrograde, and during ascent the lander was surprisingly stable.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Ah, and of course I launched lander and ship separately and docked them in LKO.

-Khorso

Moho is cursed. You have to watch your ship like a hawk, if you switch to another vessel and time warp, the game might "forget" your encounter. Something to do with floating point stuff and how the game rounds numbers.

Also, take a look at MechJeb. Even if you don't need the AP controls, it now includes an awsome porkchop plot thingy for figuring out the most efficient transfer nodes. Moho can be intercepted for just 1.6km/s dv.

I've been doing a lot of stuff lately. Today I upgraded the landers on my munar base with gravity sensors by using the KIS mod. I had to send two ships, as I completely forgot that the engineer at the mun station doesn't have any tools yet, as she was sent there before I installed KIS... So, she had a lot of new science equipment, but no means of mounting it on the landers...

The other thing was a redesign of my minmus lander. I managed to reduce costs to about 2/3 of the previous value, but sadly my first attempt to launch it tipped on the pad due to a lack of struts, and the pilot got killed. At least the expensive scientific equipment survived... Well, the second attempt, which was using launch clamps, was a success, although I force-closed KSP when the to be placed flag touched the ship and made it fly away on its own... Luckily the game had saved right before that.

On the weekend I managed to do my first landing on Duna with FAR installed. During atmospheric entry Jeb managed to keep the heading at retrograde, and during ascent the lander was surprisingly stable.

http://imgur.com/a/1nQMx

Ah, and of course I launched lander and ship separately and docked them in LKO.

That's a pretty compact lander, I built a lot bigger. should try this smaller stuff, it would make transportation easier. Though my interplanetary vessel has 7500 delta v, so I didn't even had to bother xD

I've been playing round with Drop Pods and seeing what sort of goodies I can stuff into them. :wink:

6GzNMDJ.jpg

Building big mining rigs isn't quite what I designed the Moth for...

GYVOCJN.jpg

...but the little ship rose to the challenge.

YW1D87a.jpg

Although I did have to dump some of the Xenon to lift the ISRU converter into place. :blush:

l4NUb3P.jpg

DvV8zf3.jpg

Good times. :)

Cupcake...

After fiddling around with a FAR plane design in the litterbox, I sent Valentina up with a couple of tour groups while Jeb and Bill are still on their way to Minmus in my career game; Val's current tour group is currently headed for a Munar landing, though I'm not convinced she won't have to get out and push when the time comes to head home.

Didn't have a great deal of time to play on account of the sucky-suck weather in my part of the world right now.

I put together a Polar Satellite, thought I got the orbit lined up correctly. But it wouldn't go Green.

Having a hard time filtering contracts and figuring out what I want to do and how to do it. I find myself only wanting to do a few certain contracts. I hate doing tourism contracts, Survey contracts, and test part contracts. SO I was not left with many until i downloaded some contract packs.

I took a crack and making an updated version of the SARM, or Some Assembly Required Moonbase.

D508070696CDAA02E5EDB60F7E26531CC1787EB6

89 Tons is a lot to lift.

FA0EB67D1D1D14592755ADE4A73EE134428BC8CA

Renezvous with a rock for fuel and personnel.

DE076BB02AD1F13F540DAAC41B3A9CAEDEA6DC3A

Through the magic of RCS we take this and turn it into this:

2F27C91398ACC1C7C12062273F4E23B92C2D3E1B

Lately:

Probe on Eve, with no nukes.

Designed and built a miniature rover for Minimus. Then found it still had the same problem the original model did.

Discovered that a rover with command chairs won't fit in a cargo bay.

A few Mun landings.

A minimus satellite to scan for ore.

In the 50's Canada gave the world its most advanced fighter jet at that time. Unfortunately the idiotic politicians killed the project deciding that their personal agendas were more important, there were only five that ever got produced. I'm not sure of my facts and didn't take the time to check, but I think it's one of the very first planes to use a delta-shaped wing; perhaps the first. I am referring to the Avro Arrow.

Avro_Arrow_3-view.jpg

So, as my first attempt at recreating historical vehicles, I did this.

Screen-Shot-2015-05-26-at-9.25.51-PM.png

Screen-Shot-2015-05-26-at-9.26.02-PM.png

Screen-Shot-2015-05-26-at-9.26.08-PM.png

Its not nearly as close as I would like, mostly due to the lack of squarish pieces in KSP, but its close. I like the cambered wings and the slightly off-axis thrusters and nose section; flying it is kind of quirky with the offset axis of thrust, but manageable and very stable. It has lots of lift. I decided to make it an SSTO, hence the Rapiers and docking port, and though I could reach space with this it didn't have enough fuel to circularize the orbit since I had to leave some fuel tanks empty in order to reach the appropriate velocities. So I created a second version that has a third engine, allowing all the fuel tanks to be full, and sure enough it got to a ~80 km orbit with enough fuel left to get higher. Here's the MK2:

Screen-Shot-2015-05-26-at-9.11.57-PM.png

Screen-Shot-2015-05-26-at-9.12.37-PM.png

I think I'll turn the MK1 into a pure atmospheric version, and try to figure out how to make it a two-seater as the real version is. If anyone wants to play around with it, here are the craft files. Enjoy!

Edited by justidutch
Link to craft files

in my career mode, i landed on the mun with my pilot, my scientist and 3 tourist (gotta love me some tourist).

Was my first aspergus with big tanks, and went oddly enough very well.

Trying to decide on my next challenge ;

- build a plane (gotta do those mission about kerbin soon...)

- build a research station on the mun (still debating it. Seems pointless without a roover to go from place to place).

- reach minmus

- gather the research around the base (did 2 spot so far. at 20+ each, its very much worth it).

I made it to orbit pretty efficiently, with very little excess delta-v, in a completely stock game. Just learned how to calculate delta-v and TWR by myself, and I'm currently finding it extremely more satisfying than using KER.

The Kerbiter 2(Kerbiter 1 didn't make orbit with the same amount of delta-v, not enough of it was in the first stage). ~3700m/s

VYmN4FR.png

I've been working on building an SSTO. The only one that worked was doing 1.7km/s at around 80km, and that is after the flaps, intakes, and a few parts exploded because of overheating.

I really need a guide on how to get to LKO w/o having parts exploding all over the place. The speed is entirely doable (68,982kg being pushed by 8 Rapiers works wonders), but that damnable heating...

I am by no means an expert, but keep experimenting with the flight profile. The consensus seems to be to get yourself to around 19 km, and from there when your speed is around 600 m/s (which I think is just before it starts to glow red) slowly start ascending, your speed will build along with your altitude. I got my Avro Arrow to orbit last night and didn't even reach proper atmospheric speeds, I switched to rocket engines around 900 m/s @24 km, and made orbit easily.

I need moar science for my career mode.

I decided to go land on some moon.

I decided to build a new lander class, even though I had a proven single-launch design that had been to Mun twice and Minmus twice. I wanted an "XL" lander the two kerbal lander can.

In another breach of my normal craft designs, I decided to use a rendezvous-in-orbit type of mission profile, which I understand was actually debated by NASA for the Moon landings before they settled upon the Apollo single-launch concept.

Any I built all the crap over the span of several hours (there was much tabbing out). And now this crap lander is stranded on Mun, out of fuel, so I get to design another mission to come land with a tanker drone and fill 'er up.

But I did see a Mun arch randomly on approach to land along the equator in Mun East Crater, so that was cool. -_-

rLf2QmS.jpg