What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

Been working on more replica craft, this time with more of a focus on early US spaceflight:

oxSSaRo.png

Surveyor! Sadly couldn't fit any scientific instruments without making it look weird, but it looks the part.

qV74auf.png

Atlas-Centaur.

2lkeETE.png

Mercury-Atlas.

yo0vUGb.png

Atlas-Agena.

Vk8IYUf.png

Also finished but have yet to fly a replica of Pioneer 10/11. Just barely fits in the Atlas-Centaur payload shroud.

Went to Jupiter to get the hang of gravity assists.

c3xpFRx.png

A simple 3t probe strapped to an Ariane A62. Had a kinda successful VEEGA - couldn't hit the trajectory that Flyby Finder gave and had to do a fairly big inclination correction after 2nd Earth flyby. Still 4,2 km/s is better than direct route. Did a tour of Galilean moons, flying by each at least three times. I packed extra fuel in case I manage to get to orbit around Callisto or Ganymede, however going down all the way to Io means it's probably not happening. Also I didn't watch inclination during a couple of flybys and now each time I pass Callisto it adds even more. Probably nothing left other than deorbitting.

rDeE3gY.png

Lessons learned: a) always check what the inclination will be after next pass, B) Iapetus might be better target for landing than Galilean moons. At least for now.

It does SSTO. I need to tweak some things, but it works. Dear Squad, though, it takes a long time. The framerate is not kind to me. I don't understand, this is under 200 parts.

YsRaE4g.png

- - - Updated - - -

Sorry for the doublepost, but I was messing around with 0.21, and created this explosion:

7T7mUve.jpg

I got hit with the bug where the parts didn't match up with the VAB view, and tried to launch.

EDIT: I posted this shortly before the game crashed. I had to do a hard reboot.

Edited by RyanRising

We last left the gals when they had safely and happily landed on Laythe's Dunes at very high altitude. The gals have now had time to go down into the habitat module and change their diapers after the slightly dramatic landing (Vermil Space Agency no longer issues conventional underwear). After some work - all the science possible to do from the spaceship - it's time to enjoy Laythe. So deploy the ladders. It's Madly's turn to go first. She's not the most courageous but it's also a matter of prestige and she can do that.

screenshot1657sj.jpg

But what is this!? A sudden unforeseen problem strikes. About the one single thing that wasn't tested again on kronos_X15 (prototype for Kronos_B) was the ladders. I mean, why would I have to do that? I knew they worked perfectly. I haven't changed them. Only previous problem was that the solar panels could move with the sun into a position that hindered passage. This time the solar panels are retracted (and have also been reduced from three to two and moved).

Madly is literally standing on it. The problem. A separator rocket. Ooops. Yes, those got added, to ensure a more positive release of the fuel tanks. Why did I miss that?

What now? No flag planting? No surface sample? No group portrait? Valentina won't get to stand on Laythe's surface?

screenshot1659sj.jpg

The rocket leans the right way. If Madly falls, she falls inwards towards the ladder and can grab hold. Maybe all is not yet lost? But will she be able to get past it on her way back up again? Or will poor Madly be marooned on Laythe for years until a rescue arrives? In the back of my mind, thoughts emerge about that I might be able to convince myself that I'm entitled - somehow - to cheat if it doesn't work out. My finger creeps towards the F5-key.

But then Madly suddenly drops and slides past the obstacle. Frantic <F> and she grabs hold again. My heart has almost stopped. Move upward, expect disaster. But behold, she climbs past the rocket as if it wasn't there. Going up, it's not an obstacle. Celebrations. Same procedure, release hold, fall past the rocket, grab the ladder again. We're in business. And Madly is down and putting her feet on Laythe's surface. That'll be something for her grandchildren. Make a note that this ladder problem is one of the details that has to be fixed in Kronos_C though. The inclination luckily saved us this time.

screenshot1662sj.jpg

Speaking about details needing to be fixed, I'm considering a boat. A life raft. Mission Control informs the gals they don't have to worry about takeoff. There's enough fuel left to comfortably get into orbit. Estimates are estimates and I can't be 100% certain, but I'm confident. But what if a vessel ascending from Laythe fails reaching stable orbit and falls down again? With no control of that landing, it's pretty certain it's going to be in the water. And how do you do a rescue operation then? I'm thinking providing a boat so the crew can reach land may be the best answer. When the gals are back on Kerbin, Rovers and Dingys are going to be on the program. No more expeditions on foot only.

Well, time for the traditional and mandatory group portrait.

screenshot1668sj.jpg

After soil sampling, a game of Boule, and a friendly competition of who can remove their helmet for the longest time (Valentina won, but regained consciousness after her friends had replaced the helmet - and no, Laythe's atmosphere is not really breathable, at least not on this altitude), Madly got into her head to climb to the top of one of the surrounding dunes and see what's around. After hours of trekking, and only getting a third of the way, she gave up and turned around. Here she is heading back towards the rocket. It doesn't show, not even as a spot, because it's so far away, but it's there, just ahead of her.

screenshot1673sj.jpg

Finally arriving back, Kimene and Valentina are still playing Boule by the flag. Madly is exhausted, thirsty and hungry so heads straight to the rocket.

screenshot1680sj.jpg

(I've switched to jpegs, as they're a tenth of the size of the pngs)

Edited by Vermil

Tried to do the Elcano Challenge on Minmus, so I went to Minmus for the first time and landed my truck but turns out if I try to turn or brake at more than 10m/s my truc will flip and bounce forever. I will try to do the Mün next time.

I visited Arkas for the first time. Beautiful sights. I had a cargo plane to land and put my grand tour probe back into orbit. A passenger plane for tourists and crew. And the usual satellites, space station delivery, science, rescue and recovery.

KSP_Arkas_01.jpgKSP_Arkas_02.jpgKSP_Arkas_03.jpgKSP_Arkas_04.jpg

I continued playing with 64K. After the Mun, Duna is the next obvious target, so I started designing a nuclear transfer stage.

duna_transfer_stage_1.jpeg

duna_transfer_stage_2.jpeg

It looks like 5 m parts a no longer powerful enough for the 6.4x scale. Maybe I'll have to try something bigger.

duna_transfer_stage_3.jpeg

duna_transfer_stage_4.jpeg

duna_transfer_stage_5.jpeg

duna_transfer_stage_6.jpeg

The current prototype may not be big enough for the actual mission, but the design looks promising.

This is 2 things that I did.

SAP-C News

Breaking news!

First module of Tylo Base Alpha has been deployed, Sara Kerman sendt the first images back to SAP-HQ.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Target practice, should it be abolished?

After a mission in SAP's Target Practice initiative including Bill Kerman, Bob Kerman and Jeb Kerman left horrible consequences, Sir Shark was asked if he was going to abolish the Target Practice Initiative, to which he replied "aw hell naw"

Losses from the mission included:

Death of Jebediah 'Jeb' Kerman, who was flying an Apophis-Class.

Serious injuries to Bob Kerman, who was flying an Arrow-Class. Damaged to the oxygen systems on-board meant he had almost suffocated by the time he was rescued.

Bill Kerman was unharmed, but is in a court trial as he was in the Apophis-Class that destroyed Jeb's Apophis-Class, with Jeb inside it.

Alpha Kerman remains silent on the situation, apart from his single remark "awesome."

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Thats it for SAP news, sleep tight, and don't let the Zokesians bite!

Some day I'll actually send a mission somewhere again. Until then, more logistics.

d7Vbohg.jpg?1

Lot of ships going in and out of the growing Coalwood Base on Minmus, which now has a habitat module and second solar array, with a science lab and another hab on the way out.

E4h2xTU.jpg?1

The tug used to carry modules down to the surface returns to orbit after delivering the first hab. It was there for a while, since the hardware to link up the hab to the mining rig came on a different ship.

XpXdcvI.jpg?1

Sungrazer 1, a re-purposed Jool Orbiter whose mission was rendered redundant when the Dauntless visited Bop, completed a Jool encounter to put it on a trajectory for a low Sun flyby.

0uVsjre.jpg?1

Jebediah and a couple of rookie scientists visited Ardan Base on the Mun for a crew rotation.

I just started a flght to bring my first remotetech drone in the air: it's basically a big pile O' boom:

2X3jh9J.png

Put a very high difficulty on the life support (making basic KEO-with-personel missions have at least 1-2 extra tonnes of life support stuff). I strongly hope I can fly efficiently enough this thing brings me to space.

Whew, finally some time to play.

I put a rather...large*... station in orbit of Kerbin. I only have the tiny docking ports so far and I'm still limited to 240 ton launches, but they already want 12 kerbal capacity and 4,000 units of fuel. OKAY! So "Unity Station" is now in orbit, and I used every kilogram of the launchpad capacity. It would have broken if Jeb had snuck any extra snacks in his pocket. Fortunately it was unmanned, so Jeb did not.

What WAS manned was a two-part launch of a command module and munar descent module - kindof apollo style, except I had to use two seperate vehicles and top off the transfer stage from Unity Station.

1YY7ZaB.png

Poodle is the transfer stage, it has the lander perched on top of that, and the service module with the 2x Ant engine return stage is docked nose-to-nose with that. Receeding in the background is Unity Station.

Bob and Val are headed to the Mun, soon to be the second kerbal(s) to see it up close, and one of them will be the first to set foot on it! Mission control assured them they were flipping a coin to see who, but everyone knows they need Bob's opinion of its surface, and Val's piloting skills in the command module.

So excited for new goodies 1.0.5 will bring. Until then we're raking in all the science we can, so we can play with the new parts ASAP!

*EDIT: Okay, its not large, but it was my first sortof heavy/bulky/awkward launch situation in this career.