What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

1 hour ago, WildLynx said:

OSS3 returns from Duna mission.

Please note, that I never stuff 7 kerbonauts into a tin can attached to cramped and outdated command module. OSS3 have nominal crew capacity of 36, but there is only 15 crew aboard.

Great ship design and congrats on plotting the rescue intercept

Continuing the Eve probe mission. Too much vodka to progress any further.:confused:

wAAACH5BAEKAAAALAAAAAABAAEAAAICRAEAOw==93821C34429F0944C2D98E1556F0208D7EF4ED31AB16C9922E809CCD90A08CAAA8797389E7E03434FC80156819B64C90C264957BFB5D1D9CCA207E51BF6C2A86EED604FD4AC37DAD1F2E3A0EE02BBAFB

Landed this one in the water and sank to the bottom. No good for landing prospects but cool factor x 10. That's 415m below sea level.

C3B47B1BBF81760AA7330FED2A5A23FAFBFD583A

And then this one landed on a hill and slid down until splody time cause landing gear bug.

355167BC343EC2C587178680C1C316E842499089604FED531EB5ED85519571FC31EA4FFC62737323EB4FD119E544F5287E1A223DD4AB0FEF7E0D4E4E

Ruh Roh

ECEAB26EF97FA0BF289A209BA0138527E04F01CA4D458CBA4562D91A83ACBCF6125231BF1126295BF922E84355E55B934A82F72FE50376F3E9234D80

at least when it's not sitting on its landing gear it stops sliding.

5872C6AF2A9FBFF8CA39ACE2FE7F206E3907F114

Somehow built an SSTO with a built-in mining rig capable of flying from Kerbin to Serran without refueling (albeit with very slim margins. Like less-than-100-m/s-delta-v margins.)

Titan_Landed.png

Totally intentional.

I started development of my pod again and after having a horrible experience with ladder and airlock colliders I decided to go and send it to kerbin,mün,minmus and back still stuck on developing the airlock and ladder :(.

It took more iterations than expected to come up with a good booster for it (my existing designs were for payloads rather heavier or lighter, evidently), but I eventually managed to put the finishing touches on a small version of the resupply pod, and put three in the (KCT) build queue.   Looking forward to the weekend when I'll have more time to do some serious launching and building instead of designing and planning!

Stranded Five kerbals in space: 3 orbiting the sun (eh, kinda forgot how that whole "circularize" the orbit thing worked!), then the second 2 at about 200,000km in an orbit while I was playing around with stuff. Amazing how much you can forget in 3 years of not playing this game.

Performed a three way spaceplane rescue rendezvous after Jeb managed to burn the starboard wing off during an aerobrake pass coming in from Minmus.

The two tourists are home now, while the Big 3 and some random scientist are waiting for KSC to rotate under the orbital track.

Before leaving for the last time, Jeb set the damaged SSTM Enterprise on a suborbital track with the emergency chutes armed, so we can test the safety systems safely.

On 7/14/2016 at 8:41 AM, Corona688 said:

Signs you're in for a short flight:

When you find yourself docking random space debris to try and change your return vehicle's center of drag.

No longer a joke.  It worked.

better-together.jpg

("hoggy darn" is a moon in a 50's scifi pulp.)

I haz new computer! It has shiny buttons
Also some good guts in it as well. And two heat fan thingies which is pretty exciting

KSC looks so good in 1920 x 1080. 

CwmkLGB.png

It makes GPU fan go as well as the CPU fan. 

Edited by Tw1

12 hours ago, Diche Bach said:

Stranded Five kerbals in space: 3 orbiting the sun (eh, kinda forgot how that whole "circularize" the orbit thing worked!), then the second 2 at about 200,000km in an orbit while I was playing around with stuff. Amazing how much you can forget in 3 years of not playing this game.

I always thought it was kinda like riding a bike, but then again I've never stopped playing KSP for 3 years in a row.

Went to Eli in New Horizons; I've now been to every moon in the Sonnah system! (except the Mun, but who downloads a planet pack to go to the Mun?)

I forgot to take pictures, but when I get a chance I'll post a picture of the flag.

EDIT:

Eli_Surface.png

Edited by Brownhair2

Today I was playing around with airplanes, but occasionally, right after the physics load, instead of dropping to the ground and settling (or bouncing) on it's gear, the plane would just float there, as if gravity had been hacked. When I activated the engine, it would make all the right sounds and so on, but there would be no thrust, and it would begin to oscillate slowly, clockwise first, then counterclockwise, taking several seconds for each direction. Odd, since it only affected certain planes but not others.

I suspect something has gotten thoroughly wrapped around the axles (again :blush:), so I'm reinstalling the game (yet again :blush:). I hope I remember how to install Stock-Sized Real Solar System correctly?

Holy Crap I just had an epic "noobish" Kerbalnaut adventure.

I had three or four missions:

Test the 2nd tier radial decoupler at 70km to 80km suborbital

Get into orbit.

Test the 2nd tier inline decoupler in orbit at 110km to 120km.

I had a jaloopy space craft "Nova" with like 7 SRBs, and a couple of skippers plus one of the small ones (Terrier I think) on the top stage.

I literally "succeeded" at this four times, but each time, I kept screwing up and having to reload!

Lessons I learned:

1. Electricity is important for coming back down too!

2. You can "bounce" off the atmosphere if your peri is ~65km and your apo is ~1,100km (bounced four times, and finally the fifth round was the trick).

3. Don't try EVAs under ~75km alt and going 3000 m/s!

4. Don't let go while EVAing in orbit! (there must be tethers or something further along?)

Epic, I learned a lot. Kerbals died but were reborn thanks to the wonders of save scumming . . . I tested magetospheres, I tested goo, I took temperatures, I fiddled with the orbital controls and "relearned" it a bit . . . in the end I netted ~125 science from the whole mission (probably more if you count the experiments I did in space, not sure if those add in to the end of mission summary).

Career mode is epic.

5 minutes ago, Diche Bach said:

4. Don't let go while EVAing in orbit! (there must be tethers or something further along?)

They've got rocketpacks, which you can turn on and off with 'r'.  Then you use wasd to move them around in horizontal directions, lshift/lctrl to move them up and down vertically.

Turn off the rocket pack before you tell them to grab a ladder.

I sent a probe mothership to Mars in RSS, carrying four aerodynamic landers for Mars proper, two landers for Phobos and Deimos, and one monster polar satellite with every orbital sensor that I've unlocked in this career (including those from ScanSat and Dmagic). Time will tell if this is a successful trip or not...

29 minutes ago, Diche Bach said:

1. Electricity is important for coming back down too!

2. You can "bounce" off the atmosphere if your peri is ~65km and your apo is ~1,100km (bounced four times, and finally the fifth round was the trick).

3. Don't try EVAs under ~75km alt and going 3000 m/s!

1. Especially important coming back down!  If you get most of your electricity from deployable solar panels, you are going to want to fold them back in before you make your descent since they are super-delicate and will break off in all but the absolute slightest amount of atmospheric drag.  This means that you will probably not be generating much, if any, electricity on your reentry.  Make sure you have enough batteries to last the critical phase of your descent since reaction torque will probably be the only thing you have going for you to guide your orientation.
  2. Try setting your periaposis a bit lower.  Most players aim for 45K or thereabouts when aerobreaking around Kerbin.  65K will eventually get you down, but it will (as you have noted) take many passes to slow down to a terminal speed.  
  3. An EVA while over 75KM from Kerbin's surface is perfectly safe.  Anything above 70KM is safe, actually.  In fact, you can probably manage it above 65KM (I know I have a few times, under admittedly desperate circumstances, think Sandra Bullock and the Chinese station in Gravity.)  Any Kerbal who departs an orbiting craft will be going at exactly the same velocity as the orbiting craft unless a force acts to accelerate them apart.  Atmospheric friction is one of those things, hence why high altitude and/or high speed atmospheric EVAs is dangerous, but any EVA with a periapsis above the atmosphere is safe enough so long as you do not get lost out there or run out of EVA propellant.  
  4. See 3.  I would actually encourage some orbital EVA, if only because you can gather EVA reports to return for science, and you can do a different EVA report for each biome you pass over.  That adds up to a lot of science!  

Elcano Challenge Day 2 - Part II mission report is up. Highlights include:
-Bill is mourned after tragic ladder accident.
-Replacement engineer sent via Kerbal kanister air-drop from SU-33 Flanker 
-Jeb welcomes Berthy to the Expedition team

vYhdfTS.png

Caught my first asteroid today!
So I'd finally established my construction base on Minmus (using EPL and TACLS), and have already sent SCANSats to map out my next destination, which is Duna and Ike. However, out of curiousity I started examining nearby asteroids, and... welp, one of them was on a collision course with Kerbin.

I immediately designed a somewhat simple redirection engine, consisting of a 2.5M actuator, a probe core, a Kerbodyne adapter with 4 advanced RTGs, a medium-sized 3.75 tank with 8 vernor engines in radial, and one of the low-profile 3.75 engines from Jet's Chop Shop (or is it NF Spacecraft? I can never remember). Surprisingly, it had a whopping 4.5K of delta-v, about 500 of which was spent getting it into a 2km orbit off of Minmus after constructing it on the ground base there.

From there it was plan and wait. As luck would have it, the position of Minmus relative to the incoming asteroid's trajectory  when it entered Kerbin's SOI some 130 days or so later lined up quite nicely, and I was able to drop in alongside it at about 60km from Kerbin, using no more than about 1k of delta-v. From there it was easy to grab it and push it out to a 5km periapsis. Seeing as I had already gone this far, I decided to go for broke and put it into a circular orbit. Given the inclination could use some tweaking (its about 60 right now), but I let go of it with enough dV to fly my redirection pod back to Minmus and even land it at the ground base to be refueled.

So now I just need to decide what to do with the damned thing. If I can get the blue drill mod working I'll probably see about putting it in Minmus orbit then sticking a small Xenon extractor on it, so I can have some for my planned Alculbierre drive-equipped manned cruiser without having to ship it from KSC.

Oh my. How could I have let this happen?

I wasn't paying attention. I got distracted. I had a ship coming back in to Kerbin from Mun. Before I realized it, I'm in atmosphere and I need to stage the capsule and orient for reentry. The booster followed me in, right on my tail, preventing me from slowing down. The booster eventually vaporized from heat, but the capsule couldn't bleed the speed fast enough and slammed into the ground at over 600+m/s. There was no point in even trying to deploy chutes.

RIP Camfry Kermin, pilot extraordinaire. :(

This is the first Kerbal I've lost in a long, long time.