What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

Well, not much actual playing KSP going on recently - my career game appears to be creaking into unplayability ( new games are still pretty fast, so something related to savegame size I guess ).

Messing around with a heavy cargo plane from a challenge just in case I can improve it, but that's chugging along in the background:

28532456552_e74e7779b9_b.jpg

while I attempt to write a UI for this shader I threw together

Spoiler

28354531720_db18330af9_b.jpg

but seeing as you can have up to 255 different colour areas ( technically... it'd look terrible if you actually did that ) and three different patterns, making something workable is not exactly straightforward :P

Edited by Van Disaster

3 hours ago, The Raging Sandwich said:

What mod are you using?

New Horizons. It completely reshuffles the solar system (IE: Minmus is a moon of Eeloo) and adds several new planets/moons (like Serran, the one shown)

Splsssshhh!

Pw4NXwi.png

I'm a submarine

yDQksab.png

kYuDvg8.png

Imma do a flip.

TKLZG2l.png

Opps.

OQU6ZPC.png

Oh on the scientists were in there.

Also brought out the manned missile and the stretched limo

qj3ckYA.png

7oiGOZD.png

Edited by Tw1

May i present to you, the Tug of Doom. It has enough dV to haul stuff to the station from any eccentricity below 10°, redesigned dockingports to do the jobs it's predecessor was supposed to and even looks good (well, imho). Sadly, once docked to something, it's RCS decides to stop working until its undocked again.

WVhOJxx.png

Because of that, the Orbital Earth Surveillor core had to be connected to the Lab (i wisely decided it doesnt need any control) with an insufficently designed Tug, and then everything to the actual goal of this entire mission. Launching a crew without a pilot is obviously a bad idea, especially because you have to waste even more funds getting two pilots up there just to land everything safely.

fHKzXZF.png

Anyway, i apparently didn't forget everything about KSP and managed to do that. The now 2 crews can finally complete the actual mission so i finally have enough science for better (well, bigger) engines for the first Moon landing. The crew also managed to warn KSP about that huge Tornado approaching, would've been a wasted opportunity to test some gliders otherwise.

CoNETXz.png

Elpollo 1 was rather dull compared to that, alltough the grey in grey theme was rather incidental

bUMKCnq.png

TWcXUbn.png

Now it's time to put some humans (tourists) into space as my program is almost bankrupt after this (somehow i don't get station science contracts, they usually pay really well). That's what you get when you choose people like Jeb to plant a flag, he probably made it unreadable for investors on purpose.

Too many great posts up above... My compliments to you all!

I had 3 Kerbals left on Kerbin, the rest deployed throughout the solar system... So I decided to send them all up together in my new liquid fueled SSTO plane! It sure struggled to break orbit, but made it in the end and docked at the station in LKO.

Strictly speaking this is yesterday, but I had a very successful probe adventure around Eve's SOI in my science save until I tried to land on Gilly. Two of the solar panels broke off (picture shows the undamaged probe) so I didn't try to visit another biome.

28a5542ceb.png

Also tried out a new lower stage for my Sword class lifter using LH2 motors. I'm hoping to do away with the SRBs, mostly just for aesthetics and the idea that this vehicle isn't really supposed to be very large or exceed 500t, though for the sake of thrust I think I'm gonna end up with an N1 style rocket that flares out toward the bottom.

07171381cc.png

EVA with cables! Now officially 3‰ safer!

2a8c036dc4.png

1 hour ago, CanOmer said:

Heaviest rocket I built in career mode, 16-Tourists voyager, is ready for launch:

That's a curious propulsion layout. Ultra cost-saving?

Edited by Guest

I developed my first SSTO and first Rover! 

Spoiler

84w2unfm8xR_UZYF7R9_yCHsqMXhePdlngR4ktsn

Yep my first rover on the mun!

tzhB0joCbIL-r3xVXAPqn00nYbqMPIRPM6Xx2KyE

And my first SSTO in space! Does have issues.. With reentry sadly... But in the end I'm pretty proud of this!

An farewell to Laythe, we will meet again, 
Universal SSTO accent after sampling all biomes, It work but is suboptimal in many ways 
zug4PTQh.png
Docked with transfer stage and going to Pol.
oIqRCM0h.png
Underway back, loved this scene 
rd5VKQnh.png

Other main event is that the krakenbase has been established. 
yO3Ev1Vh.png
Main purpose will be to research an kraken drive. Attempt 1 an pulsed engine using exploding landing legs works but has far lower trust and isp than an orion pulse engine. 

Today I sent a probe to Titanus, and it took way more delta-v than I thought it would take. Here's the probe using the capture stage to help with the departure burn:

ylpyTqq.png

The probe itself weights 9 tons and something, and it has an insane amount of transmittable experiments, because there's no way I'm coming back with it!

ATM, there are 7 years left for it to get there. Yay!

1 minute ago, Pine said:

Today I sent a probe to Titanus, and it took way more delta-v than I thought it would take. Here's the probe using the capture stage to help with the departure burn:

ylpyTqq.png

The probe itself weights 9 tons and something, and it has an insane amount of transmittable experiments, because there's no way I'm coming back with it!

ATM, there are 7 years left for it to get there. Yay!

Ooh! Ooh! How much delta-v did it take? I need to know this.

@Brownhair2, not exactly sure, but If I remember correctly, I used around 1,300 m/s to get a solar orbit, since it would take too long to wait for the planet to get to a nice position for the burn, and around 1,600 m/s for the minimal burn to get an encounter. So I'd say take at least 4k of delta-v to get there. I don't even know if I can capture myself! :D

This was the rocket I used to toss it over:

nZhtL2I.png

And I thought this was too much! Turns out, it barely makes it there!

Edited by Pine

I got to look at my Munbase in daylight for the 1st time since I rebuilt it following a Heat Kraken attack.  The abbreviated base unit on the left is all that's left of a unit that got too hot from the Kraken.  The unit on the right is its replacement.

11-03 NH Munbase Phase II in Daylight

10 minutes ago, Berlin said:

What part pack has those engines?  I can't remember for the life of me

Cryogenic Engines by Nertea.

Ok, I think I FINALLY have a seaplane for Tidus:

Wader.png

One minor issue: it just barely has enough fuel to NOT make it to orbit in Kerbin. But it can get 70km apoapsis and 24k periapsis, so I think that's close enough. It means, however, that a) I have to land without using ANY fuel b) I can't waste too much time taking off c) this will definitely need an interplanetary tug.

Also, to all you people saying the flea is useless: YOU MAY NOT SEE IT, BUT I HAVE TWO ON THE PONTOONS FOR A SPEED BOOST DURING TAKEOFF! HA!

Edited by Brownhair2

@Brownhair2,that's a neat seaplane!

Ever since the Cloudy Station Incident happened, I had no space station. Turns out the Cloudy Station Incident Vessel has no energy anymore, and so it can't transmit any of the science it has onboard. So, I decided to launch a bigger, better and cooler station! Situated in the middle of Soonah's rings, it will be a permanent space base for the kerbals of the Soonah system!

4gPqEAf.png

I call it Swag Station.

Still needs some critical stuff, like power.

I'm also thinking about making a surface base on Serran, but that idea still has to go through the design phase to see if I can land it safely and if I can bring kerbals to orbit easily.

BTW, if you guys want the transfer angle from Soonah to Titanus, it's here:

Spoiler

JsVphpV.png

Edited by Pine

Another weekend, another monstrosity:

Spoiler

screenshot66.png

In spite of what KER is saying, that's actually a design 101.8km/s in 62 stages, for only 162.6 tonnes.  Granted, since my pairwise staging doesn't actually work as designed because [STAGE_PRIORITY]'s decoupler-counting ways, it's probably more like 84-88km/s.  Unfortunately, 648 parts is a little much.  I have to disagree with the Engineer's report, though...this thing'd be super noodly in practice.