What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

As the above I also got an SSTO spaceplane to work for the first time:

F671ABEA121E0848CDEBCB8031E458488769CFB7

As a delivery system for my insanely minimal Interplanetary Module:

02D5E7D4D5A27CD75CD445913C31A15E7A4B4E25

I made a mission report over in that forum about the trials and tribulations of this whole idea "Return from Laythe"

My latest SSTO design is rather pretty I feel:

DB69103FE597CD3D664661C947CD43C2F206B7B7

Picked up the design of the Evil Eye 7 again and began construction. Made sure to check to see that Jeb could get back on the ladder and then get down the ladder with no difficulties. Was able to launch him into Kerbin orbit with the first three asparagus stages, so that's a good sign. The Eye is a pretty complex asparagus design, though; I'm beginning to consider ways to simplify it a bit. Plus I'm pretty sure I want to send a probe-lander configuration before I send it on to its final destination (Eve, of course).

Still need to land the Echidna 7 on Mun. First set of attempts did not go well; its a narrow-based lander with a relatively low TWR, I don't have the help of a radar altimeter and I keep on finding areas of the Mun with pretty substantial grade. My problems have been more of the tipping over on landing variety than the high-speed lithobraking variety, though I've experienced both; quicksave is the only thing keeping that mission going.

I started launching Galileo satellites to provide GNSS of coverage. Satellites will be deployed in a Walker Delta 56°: 27/3/1 constellation (27 sats in 3 planes inclined 56°), with one spare for each plane

Launched 5 at a time:

JH2RmDE.png

And then i messed up the deployment separation: I had the carrier orbiting at a lower orbit with 180 minutes orbital period, and deployed the satellites at 20-minutes intervals, thinking i would get even separation with 9 satellites that way. The result:

4x3eVZx.png

Duuh! the higher orbit takes more time! this is the result (the sats should be spaced around >50% orbit, not less than 25%). Oh well, the sats still have some rcs fuel left. But i'll have to give up the nice even spacing.

@SirJodelstein

On the plus side, for a brief period, one part of Kerbin is going to have great reception!

@Bishop149

That's a sweet plane.

~

I put the final booster on my Moho ship, pressed F5 and did a test run to see if I'd have enough fuel to get to Moho's orbit, slow down, and return to Kerbin. It turns out I should have more than enough, assuming I transfer fuel from the booster sections into the core and manually asparagus it.

Presenting: the Honolulu I!

screenshot59_zps1dda7362.png

So named because a moho is a genus of bird which used to live on the Hawaian island* and the twelve nuclear engines burn as brightly as the Hawaian sun!

* http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moho_%28genus%29

I just landed on and returned from the Mun for the first time. Brought three Kerbals, planted a flag, then went back to Kerbin and landed in the ocean east of KSC. After way too many fails of M-RET designated designs, the Hastium Mk4 M-RET finally won at life (the Mk3 got them to the Mun, and took off again and got a Munar orbit, but ran out of fuel trying to escape, Mk1 and Mk2 both blew up shortly after launch).

Edited by BenHR

I have been improving my Apollo style Mun mission and doing some rescue missions of previous not quite successful Mun round trips. (I stranded a couple Kerman's out there...) I can report, that I have successfully depopulated Mun for now, returning all stranded Kerman's to Kerbin.

Then I worked on a two-seater SSTO space plane, loosely based off of my successful 1-seater. It can reach 100x100 and land under it's own power... Soon I'll be doing Munar "sight seeing" tours with it. The new space plane uses two Torboidal(sp?) rocket engines for the upper stage, giving it a nice little bump in efficiency once in orbit.

After learning a fair amount of engineering by trial and error <Lots and Lots of Error!> I decided to start over without using mechjeb. <I take care of my 1 year old son during the day, so getting to design a craft, get it on the launch pad, then hit autopilot, then come back after it had orbited, plot a course, then step away was a lot of help/let me do something while not giving full attention.>

I landed rovers on the Mun, near the North Pole, as I'd never been up there before. Cruised around a bit. Then decided to map the Mun, so designed a survey satellite package. Very successful! So I launched one towards Eve since the window was open, and I realized I've never finished mapping Kerbin so put one there. Next up, A Mun return mission where I don't accidentally have the lander take off in the opposite direction of the Command Capsule, which led to a complicated rendezvous near Kerbin several long orbits later. Ran out of fuel before the retrofire resulted in hitting atmosphere, but it was /just/ close enough that using RCS managed to clip the top of the atmosphere enough to trigger rentry. Phew! Jeb, Bill, and Bob are on vacation for a bit til I get the bugs worked out.

Back in 0.19 or .18, I had made a fully functional (more or less) space shuttle, that, for the most part, acted and flew kinda like the real thing. Unfortunately, I inadvertanly deleted it at some point. Now, I have managed to recreate it! I can make it to a 200x200 orbit, has an inline docking port, and enough RCS to dock with a space station.RWNwBRO.png

CQgHosT.png

6CfE2AS.png

v24gPM0.png

Today I tried to revive Jeb by modifying persist files and made an interesting mess.

[Edit]

Actually, now that I retried - it worked just fine. State=0. (Results may vary)

Edited by Oops

I designed the Hercules class construction tug:

rpSsg2q.png

With 2250 units of mono propellent, 16k units of electricity, and a set of push/pull engines (2 PB-ION & 2 48-7S), and two kinds of docking ports (senior and regular), she'll push anything around and together as well as keeping station modules charged. The Mk2 design will replace the ion engines with two more 48-7S engines (I don't know why I put them on there, except they're shiny and glow blue), remove some mono propellant to add more liquid fuel, maybe give it enough range to do Mun/Minmus shuttle runs. Although I'm not sure what needs to be shuttled to and from the Mun or Minmus... the scientists at KSC will probably come up with something though.

I launched a rocket into a 500km circular orbit by hand, without using MechJeb, except for orbital information on my current periapsis and apoapsis (so I wouldn't have to switch to map view very often)! I haven't done that for a long while.

Continued work on my entry in the Doing it Gemini Style challenge. After finally landing the Echidna 7 emergency return vehicle without tipping it over (15 klicks from NAM), I transferred Jeb and Bill to Mun in Gorgon 7 (the advanced Gemini capsule) and successfully docked with Orthus 7 (an open cockpit lander) in Munar orbit. I then landed Orthus on the Mun about 2.5 klicks from Echidna with both Kerbals aboard; did that on the first go. Planted a flag, of course. I went ahead and borrowed Bullseye (the Hellhound 7 rover that first discovered the NAM in preperations for my previous Doing it Apollo Style mission) for their use while they're still on Mun. There's some pretty hellish terrain directly west of the NAM (as I already knew); took a good hour to cover the 15 klicks (Dunan terrain has got nothing on Mun) and Bullseye popped a flat along the way. After arriving, Jeb fixed the flat and both Kerbals drove the 2.5 klicks from Orthus to Echidna, where I now have them sheltering for the night.

In the morning, I plan on driving them to the NAM and probably plant a few more flags before I head back. This stuff is for fun; the challenge actually doesn't require me to do anything else besides head back at this point.

Lazy day for the trip:

It was dark by the time we got to the next stopping point:

10034283706_012fc08e89_c.jpg

So I put down somewhere I could see; quite a view. After poking around a bit & deciding not to try overland, takeoff was pretty spectacular also.

10034356093_4310ae61e4_c.jpg

10035355733_c018bb7c50_c.jpg

10035285826_b24b495fbe_c.jpg

Where I put down again is going to require a little effort to get back out of... ( the plane is a little dot in the background, probably need to view the image full size ).

10059349054_46300e233f_c.jpg

Back to space for a bit now, I think.

I discovered that your ground detail level setting has an effect on whether easter eggs or buried or not. I spent a considerable time aviatng over 400km across Duna at 1x time and nearly as long again taxiing around at the far end looking for the "buried Curiosity" thing, only to discover it was totally buried. No sooner had I posted the results of this than I saw a nearly simultaneous post by another guy who'd been to the same place today and it was above the ground for him. But he had a lower terrain detail setting than I did, based on his smaller number of boulders scattered about. So, terrain detail doesn't just affect the number of boulders, it affects ground surface bumpiness, with the result that easter eggs can be buried for some folks but not others.

Decided it was time to bring Danble and Erbald home. They've been on the Mun for ten days while I've been doing other things.

DtUDNS0.png

Sent a rescue rocket to pick them up. Hadn't done a high inclination landing for a while, but it felt like one of the smoothest landings I've had, even with the bit where I needed to hover and head up the slope to find smoother ground.

While that was going on, I sent Shtuule up, and installed part 3 of my Kerbostationary satellite ring. Then landed safely at KSC.

Ox5kLw2.png