What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

Over the last few days I've downloaded AIES and KW Rocketry, pruned them, pruned the stock parts, made stock analogs out of the AIES and KW stuff, removed a ton of fuel tanks, created a ModuleManager file...

Anyway, I then created my third install folder of KSP (One is for development, the other is my "default" install) so I could have a slightly different list of mods to play with. Ditched Kethane, KAS, and MechJeb for this one. Then I rebuilt a lander from my other install using the new parts, put it into a "Soyapollo" sort of craft, and made a Mun landing.

WGEd7ce.jpg

j2R8jHk.jpg

Put a Kerbal on the Mun for the first time :cool: It was a dodgy mission, and far from efficient, so I'm glad I added far too much fuel to the lander/return craft. I'm reasonably sure it could have made it back to the Mun again.

8GpfSJU.png

Also got Bill stuck in orbit from a failed SSTO flight. The plane made it, but didn't have any fuel left for the retrograde burn to come back down. Now he's stuck, although the periapsis is at 63km there doesn't seem to be any noticeable aerobraking going on. He's going to be the target for my first rendezvous with the goal to bring him home.

i1q8.jpg

Started my Minimus and Mun mission. I plan on taking this SSTO to Minimus then the Mun, and land that lander then recover it on both planets then return to Kerbin and land with the lander in the cargo bay. Right now the SP-313 is in orbit waiting for rendezvous with the space station KerSta-1.

I wrote up Part 15 of my Long-term Laythe mission, and part 2 of my Vall Venture mission. It takes as long to write up some of this stuff as it does to do it.

I am an avid fan of your blog. Read the whole thing and love stealing your ship designs.

Edited by MilkToast
forgot quote

I accidentally made what was supposed to be an innocent Jool station... this:

[snip]

I swear I didn't mean to. :3

This happens to me way too commonly. My early heavy Mun lander wasn't much better.

I try to hold function above form, but in the end, I tend to go out of my way to try to edit things like this out of my designs...

Insane 23 km/s aerobreaking into Laythe video [snip]

Dude that's insane how did you get it moving that fast? :0.0:

Also if you're going that fast you probably want to aerobrake at Jool first; its larger size will spread the acceleration out over a longer period of time. That aerobrake had to hit a couple hundred g's, my kethane probe going half that fast pulled over 70 going direct to Laythe.

Edited by Thorbane

Dude that's insane how did you get it moving that fast? :0.0:

Also if you're going that fast you probably want to aerobrake at Jool first; its larger size will spread the acceleration out over a longer period of time. That aerobrake had to hit a couple hundred g's, my kethane probe going half that fast pulled over 70 going direct to Laythe.

I was simply testing (with ingame cheats) my SSTO laythe craft when I though, what if I was going super fast, might as well record it.

that coupola module is really bad aerodynamics.

I made a certain Probe carrier to Eve.

cace74c44f05d2ded73f22aa963d7192.png

Now the issue with this is...

A.) When a probe is released, the center of mass on the rest of the ship is skewed.

B.)I forgot to put probe cores on the probes

So yeah. I dun goof'd. However, with a few modifications to the vehicle it now carries only two probes which have probe cores. This one is imbound to Duna and Ike, The latter being easiest to encounter and drop a probe on, due to its troll-like behavior.

I accidentally made what was supposed to be an innocent Jool station... this:

umKHT7E.png

I swear I didn't mean to. :3

What's wrong with that Cherokee cross anyw.......oh, wait, that's right. People tend to think it's a swastika when it's turned both ways.

Kinda like the difference between the gesture for the evil eye and "Hook 'em Horns". I won't make the obvious joke here in case there are any UT Kerbonauts out there; trying to keep it civil.

I finished up my run for the Doing it Gemini style challenge after ferry Jeb and Bill over for a quick trip to the NAM. All I'll say is that daylight helps when you're roving on the Mun...and I'll leave it at that.

I made a light for my Spacestation, since I tend to forgett lights on the stuff I want to dock on it. But I will destroy the spacestation (after evacuating my kerbs) and replace it with an updated design.

This is the old one for now:

79393B29A32EB4768E2C5600184457109FCB1E0D

40AD8F67D59DD767CA0EA54F6949FEA09889F93A

With it's ion drive I should be able to break it enough to drop on kerbin, after the crew has been moved from Ponyhof 1 with the rescue capsul to either kerbin or the new station.

After a lot of fighting, yelling, frustration, installing, uninstalling, etc, etc.... I finally figured out the problem I have been having with KSP crashing on my computer. I cannot have more than a couple mods installed before I run out of memory. So.... Since my work laptop is newer, I copied over my saves. The only thing I ahve been trying to do is get a station and Kethane lander to Duna. I finally was able to do it. As before, I got there with just enough fuel to achieve orbit and the lander to land and start mining....

I redesigned (again) the Icarus ship that will be going to Dres/Jool and finished the assembly in orbit.

The Icarus V:

yj3JoQk.png

GFbjKh7.png

Crew Capacity: 17

Docking Ports: 10 (8 for landing craft/probes, 1 in the rear drive section for refueling, and one on the front I forgot was there until now. Nobody knows why that's there.)

Fuel Capacity: 85950/105050

Engines: 22 LV-N Atomic

Part Count: 214

Considering the notion of building an SSTO rocket...for Eve launch. You don't see many of thems and it'd be a hell of a thing if I could pull it off. I've already crunched all the numbers and it looks like it's possible; big question there's going to be whether or not I can build the structure I've got planned. Transfer's going to be a job for my Typhon tug (the T-bolt Superheavy 7), no doubt there.

Also redesigned the Orthus 7 lander - added two FL-T100 tanks - and its kicker - added an X200-16 tank. The numbers say it should now be capable of pulling off a landing on Moho and a return to orbit afterwards. Combining that with the Mohole 7 rocket I designed just the other day, I've got the tools now for a Moho Orbital Rendezvous mission, so plans are now in the works for my first trip out that way. Not sure the Storax Sedan 7 design as it sits could make it to Moho; in fact I'm pretty sure it can't, but I need to crunch the numbers to be sure. It'd be nice to have something to drive/do once I make it out that way.

Played around with my ICBT. Inter-Continental Ballistic Transporters. This is my planed method for distributing kerbals around the planet to do science.

Ladies and Gentlemen, behold, the future of personal transport!

NdrUVlU.png

The usage is simple : sit on it, throttle up, release, then point yourself in the general direction of your intended destination pitching and 45 degrees. Then, accelerate until air runs out.

When you are falling down, wait until you're just about to hit the lower atmosphere, and open the intakes, and fire up the engine again. Repeat.

nMtQIKp.png

I can get just a little more than half way around Kerbin this way.

Tried to land and KSC 2, overshot a little. Had to turn around, but still had enough fuel to decelerate to a soft landing.

pzikTwq.png

Also good for a quick pole visit.

Edited by Tw1

Last night I spent my evening rescuing my Mun+Minimus Space Plane mission. Managed to rescue all the Kerbals but had to abandon the Lander in orbit of the Mun at an altitude of 100km, and the space plane at an altitude of 300km.