What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

Well with my big Duna mission, I need a big crew transportation vessel kinda like the Hermes. I built the crew module with room for 61 kerbals. Probably gonna be just six. Also all the parts for the mission are unmanned and I forgot antennae on all of them. (1.2) :rolleyes: So if they all stick around the crew transport, they should get the signal since I am going to have a load of antennae on it. Therefore it should reach the mission components and send the signal back to Kerbin.

3 hours ago, Brikoleur said:

Mission Kerbert 1 to Duna is progressing. The components have been successfully lifted to orbit and assembled. The first fueling mission has also been successful, and the construction crew has been replaced by the mission crew. Another fueling mission will have to follow, possibly even two. 

Jeb got a bit overexcited with landings on returning from the missions, but other than that everything is going according to plan, more or less.

Orbiter has been delivered to lander, and the two have docked.

61YyfZw.jpg

Booster has been added to the lander and orbiter, and refueling plus crew transfer is in progress.

Zd5aODV.jpg

Those SSTOS though. Very original! Love it! :0.0:

Well I just docked the docking hub module to the crew module.

DCTS in LKO

Next on the list, is the relay antennae and solar arrays. Already got the module built but I gotta sleep so I'll launch it tomorrow.

mu9RQae.jpg

Those big antennae though... Need a really big fairing to keep them in! :P 

This Duna crew transport cruiser is coming along nicely. I hope to have it done tomorrow.

Good night all! :) 

3 hours ago, Crocket said:

I've created a prototype Kerbin-system biome hopper, and I'd love it if somebody could take a nice jaunt around Mun and Minmus (perhaps Rald if @eddiew can get it off the ground there) and report back with changes I could make. I'm not the best at testing craft.

Here's the .craft, for anybody willing to test it.

Although I still only play Sandbox this sounds like fun. I'm gonna try it. :)

Edited by JadeOfMaar
deleted spam in own post. didn't realize yet that this was happening. my net is misbehaving and lagging my post submission

Put a satellite in polar orbit of Kerbin. Not too hard.

Launched 2 tourists straight up in the air in a suborbital trajectory. Forgot to put solar panels on their ship (& even if I would have, they launched at night) so their probe core ran out of power on the way back down & I couldnt deploy their chutes. Oops. :(

Had another contract to launch a satellite into an equatorial orbit of the Mun. No problem I thought. So I sent it over there & had the apoasis & the periapsis juuuuuust right, so I couldnt figure out why the contract wasnt completing?? Then I finally checked the ascending & descending nodes...... yep they were 180°! :( I was going the wrong way in orbit. :( I somehow managed to flip my orbit all the way over though by making a maneuver node & tweaking the hell out of it. Only ended up being like 750 m/s or so (thankfully I took a ton of fuel with me) & I also got a world first of being suborbital on the Mun in the process somehow. :D 

Hopefully tomorrow, for real this time, I can either send an unmanned probe to land on the Mun, or maybe a manned flyby of Minmus. I havent gotten any science in a while now & its starting to suck. :( I really need to unlock a bunch more stuff.

4 hours ago, Firemetal said:

Those SSTOS though. Very original! Love it! :0.0:

Thanks. This is a career game, and I rushed aviation as soon as I was able; my goal is not to do any rocket launches anymore at all. I don't have all the tech tree so I had to get a bit creative with propulsion. Ideally I'd like two or three more Whiplashes on those, but since I don't have the quad-coupler or Vector, there's no room. They're just about the minimum to get the job done: I have to lift the components partially fueled as it is.

Well, work today sucked so I really couldn't wait to come home and work on my Minmus base.  I've been working on getting it to self sufficiency and eventually be able to launch craft (Extraplanetary Launchpads, Karbonite, Planetary Base Systems and Kerbalism are my primary mods that relate to the base).  I was really excited about the next module as it is a greenhouse and habitat that will supply food (obviously) and house Kerbals prior to their launches.  However upon walking down the stairs to my apartment, my last step was a splash...  The neighboring apartment, which is vacant, had flooded and I had an inch of water in the hallway, and two thirds of my floor is soaked.  So much for playing KSP today... or tomorrow... ;.;

Finished testing @Crocket's biome-hopper. Cheated into a 30km orbit of the harder of Kerbin's moons, da Muhn, and put Bob in the hot seat.

Five biomes. Five thousand delta-V at the start position. Can it be done? Go!

Full gallery with commentary and VAB shot: http://imgur.com/a/LM22R

osAIDpH.jpg

nnnnrZ1.jpg

q15LCcl.jpg

Sadly I managed only four but yea, given the spaces between the ones I chose... The ship performed quite admirably despite having the SAS and Ec provided solely by the command pod. My only design suggestion is to have just one leg on the asparagus stacks and have a set of legs on the center stack. I had to do the worm with SAS in order to get upright for the late launches. And resisting a downhill drift I destroyed two solar panels.

Still plugging away on developing my architecture and vehicles for the Jool 5 challenge...  I know I've been saying that a lot over the last few days, but it's a complex mission so there's a lot of setup work to be done.

But tonight, pictures!  And some explanation of my architecture.

screenshot6.png

I worked mostly on my tanker/transfer vehicle tonight. This ship ferries crew and fuel to and from the landers (which fly autonomously from the mothership to their destinations).

The central tanks are LFO tanks for refueling the landers, the LF only radials feed the LV-N's and should have more than sufficient d/V for noodling about Jool.  (I can add a second X200-8 at the base if I need more, this capacity will have to wait until tomorrow to be tested, I'm tired.)  One of the reasons I used the radials is that by sliding the tanks (and the heavy LV-Ns) up and down the core I could get my loaded, dry, and average COM practically on top of one another.  This makes it easy to balance the RCS, and even fully loaded it handles like a fighter jet.  More importantly this means I can ditch the RCS and monoprop on the landers, saving weight.

In my current plan, it nestles up to the tail of the mothership provides part of the thrust.

Working on the design tonight I had an epiphany, and another part of my architecture fell into place - using the central tank's LF capacity and leaving the O tanks dry, the T/TV has sufficient d/V to return from Kerbin from Jool.

screenshot8.png

The Tylo/Vall lander.  It self ferries from the mother ship in orbit between Vall and Tylo to Tylo, where it is refueled by the T/TV.  The T/TV then returns to the mothership and fetches the crew and a second load of fuel and after returning to Tylo transfers the crew to the lander.  The lower stage of the core functions as a crasher stage, and the landing is completed on the radials.  The radials function as asparagus stages during the return to orbit.  The T/TV then rendezvouses with the lander, refuels it and recovers the crew.  The lander then self ferries to Vall, while the T/TV takes a detour via the mothership and picks a load of fuel.  The two meet up in Vall orbit, and the fuel and crew are transferred to the lander.  After the landing and return to orbit, the lander is left in Val orbit and the crew returns to the mothership via the T/TV.

I've already Hyperedited into the mothership's planned orbit and, using Hyperedit's ability to 'magically' refuel, flown a full mission to determine refueling requirements.  The necessity of refilling the X200-32 tank on the crasher stage was the prime driver in sizing the T/TV.  In the same way, the mothership's orbit (between Vall and Tylo) was chosen to minimize the d/V requirements of this phase of the mission.

screenshot7.png

The Laythe lander...  which has a simpler and more straightforward mission than the Tylo/Val lander.  It simply self ferries to Laythe, and is met there by the T/TV, which transfers the crew and refuels it.  As can be seen from the gear configuration, it lands with the radials still attached...  and launches as an asparagus when it returns to orbit.  I have to fly an insanely lofted ascent trajectory to avoid tumbling head over heels, but so it goes.  After it returns from orbit, the T/TV returns the crew to the mothership and the lander is abandoned in Laythe orbit.

So, that's where I stand at the moment - probably about a third or a quarter along in the design and development process.

9 hours ago, Crocket said:

I've created a prototype Kerbin-system biome hopper, and I'd love it if somebody could take a nice jaunt around Mun and Minmus (perhaps Rald if @eddiew can get it off the ground there) and report back with changes I could make. I'm not the best at testing craft.

Here's the .craft, for anybody willing to test it.

Unfortunately it wouldn't be a fair test, since the moment I load it, KR&D will beef up all the engines and make it OP :)  (Also, pics win hearts, tbh. Nothing as good as a few screenshots to get people to try out you craft :wink:)

Edit: But it seems @JadeOfMaar beat me to the punch anyway ^^;  From the look of it, I suspect it won't take as well to Rald as to Mun. The atmosphere will drop the efficiency of the terriers by maybe 10-20%, and with neither fins nor reaction wheels, it's pretty much asking to tumble. Glad it works well for Mun/Minmus though :) 

Edited by eddiew

8 minutes ago, Chiron0224 said:

My first successful Duna landing and return.  If some of the captions in the album are obvious it's because I also posted this album to facebook and I wanted people who don't play the game to understand some of the stuff I'm talking about.

http://imgur.com/a/7JWCJ

Nice! I can't even send a probe and back from Duna.

Some advice, though.

First, the pictures aren't in correct order. I feel weird at first but quickly understand the situation.

Second, are you playing in science/career mode? (If yes then you probably haven't unlocked it.)

Instead of fuel+oxidizer, you can reduce weight and increase Isp with nuclear thermal engines, AKA NERV.

Today I launched a replica of the Hubble telecope into orbit using my space shuttle, and then rendezvoused with some space junk (an empty upper stage tank) that had been in LKO from some of the first ever missions of my space agency. I attached the debris to the shuttle cargo bay using KAS connector ports and then de-orbited.

Could definitely feel a COM shift due to the cargo, but the re-entry and landing were unaffected. I think debris recovery will be a secondary objective for all space shuttle missions from now on :).

Eventually I'd love to collect the LEM ascent stage from my first ever Mun landing and bring it home to be stored in the hangers at the abandoned runway.

Pondered my chances of making an all-in-one lander for Laythe, Vall, and Tylo. Can be refuelled between descents, but obviously should be single stage... Ideally carrying 2+ crew and weighing less than 30 tons. Might be harder than its worth.

(I'm lacking screenshots the last couple of days. Doesn't feel like the VAB is worth sharing, really...)

5 hours ago, JadeOfMaar said:

Finished testing @Crocket's biome-hopper. Cheated into a 30km orbit of the harder of Kerbin's moons, da Muhn, and put Bob in the hot seat.

Five biomes. Five thousand delta-V at the start position. Can it be done? Go!

Full gallery with commentary and VAB shot: http://imgur.com/a/LM22R

Thanks for testing it! Come the afternoon I'll slap some batteries on the capsule and give a Mun landing a try.

(1.1.3) Since I determined yesterday that my woes with getting a space station core module off the pad were due to a mod conflict, I decided to try my original plan to launch a pilot, an engineer and sixteen tourists in a space station core. Rebuilt my original core module design with two cupolas on either end, four Hitchhiker modules, four ports, eight antennas, eight collapsible solar panels, a monoprop supply, and a partridge in a pear tree a probe core in a service bay with some batteries. Launch was successful; Kerbinport 7 is now operational and I got a fair amount of cash from the lower-hanging fruit (i.e. the Mün-bound tourists that also wanted to do suborbital and orbital flights over Kerbin). The next big trick is going to be getting all those folks out to Mün. I'm thinking it's time to pull my old Stratofortress 7 intermünar ferry design out of mothballs. I'll still have to figure out how to get a lander out there eventually, and I'll ultimately have to design a fuel ferry - I don't have drilling bits just yet.

Did take care of a couple of other things. The Bleepity-Bleep 7 probe was put on a course that would take it back to Minmus after its historic flyby of the pudding moon, this time to put it in a final orbit for contract. It will return to Minmus in another 28 days. I also had two tourist contracts where the folks just wanted to go up into orbit, so I had Jeb take them on a Kerbal Tour Bus 7b craft and knocked out a few extra bucks that way. Got a parts testing contract which was pretty routine, and then picked up a rescue contract. Went ahead and upgraded the tracking station to full - I've got everything at Level 3 now except for Admin, R&D and the SPH. The upgrade has put me down to about √300,000, but that should still be enough to put up some infrastructure to ferry folks to Mün and collect some more money in the process. 

Going to try to launch a Stratofortress tonight and since I have a rescue contract, it looks like another flight of the Gurney 7 is in order...

Edited by capi3101
specified version in use.

I managed to get my pre-release updated to latest.

Then spent 3 hours abusing the game looking for issues, only to find that every issue I found was already on the tracker and listed as verified and/or fixed in the next release.

Then I started a new career game, managed to get Val and Bill to the Mün and back, without finding any more bugs/glitches.

In all a failed day, but fun as always.

18 hours ago, Hypercosmic said:

Nice! I can't even send a probe and back from Duna.

Some advice, though.

First, the pictures aren't in correct order. I feel weird at first but quickly understand the situation.

Second, are you playing in science/career mode? (If yes then you probably haven't unlocked it.)

Instead of fuel+oxidizer, you can reduce weight and increase Isp with nuclear thermal engines, AKA NERV.

Dang it!  I spent so long re-arranging the pictures.  What gives imgur?  Also this was sandbox.  I tried the NERV but I didn't actually get any more dV out of it because I wasn't using a liquid fuel only tank for my CSM.  The liquid engine ended up being all I needed to pull off my mission though.

EDIT: Album fixed.  Here's the new link http://imgur.com/gallery/BCeWu

Edited by Chiron0224
fixed Imgur album